• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVIII looks like its about to be released on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

Can already be played on PSN, PC(even if port is crap) and PSX. Which is the best version with the epsxe emulator.

Why would I want this?

Grief.exe

Did we ever find out why square didn't release IX on PC, I guess that cause is totally lost now.

And look how good the art would have looked on a PC display.

Oh wow, those are super clean.

So they essentially downsampled those images for the PS1 version.

MvzPHKB.jpg

RTxRcES.jpg

Yeah, the quality of FFIX's assets were spectacular. When it's emulated, you can also see how much better the character models look - even with the pre-rendered backgrounds downsampled, the other stuff on the disc was still beyond what the PS1 was capable of.

Unfortunately, the original assets are all long since lost/deleted. So there's not some magic treasure chest that Squeenix could open and use as a basis of a new FFIX port.

Mupod

How bad was FF8's old PC port? Because FF7's was so awful back in the day I never bothered getting 8. Well, until I got a playstation.

antitrop

How bad was FF8's old PC port? Because FF7's was so awful back in the day I never bothered getting 8. Well, until I got a playstation.
It's a better port than Final Fantasy VII was. I bought them both on PC when they were released.

Still have the old boxes, too, I really liked the triangular box that Final Fantasy VII PC came in, as all old Eidos games did (Tomb Raider 2, and I think Thief, IIRC).

Shiina

Much better. If nothing else I don't remember it ever crashing on me and it didn't get stuck in cutscenes like VII either. As a bonus it had the chocobo minigame.

ctothej

Yeah, the quality of FFIX's assets were spectacular. When it's emulated, you can also see how much better the character models look - even with the pre-rendered backgrounds downsampled, the other stuff on the disc was still beyond what the PS1 was capable of.

Unfortunately, the original assets are all long since lost/deleted. So there's not some magic treasure chest that Squeenix could open and use as a basis of a new FFIX port.

This is so sad. Do developers still do that? Dump all their game's assets once the game ships? It's such a waste. So unnecessary, not saving the artwork on a hard drive somewhere when they cost millions of dollars to create.

Almighty

Cool. I will pick this up once it hits a nice sale as FFVIII probably ranks in the middle of all the Final Fantasies for me. I hope this and VII sell enough to convince SquareEnix that it is worth the extra effort it would take to make ports for all their other Final Fantasy titles. For example I would love to get some of the SNES Final Fantasies on Steam or even better a PC version of Tactics.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
OT, but looks like Square has plans to bring FFXIV to Steam eventually

262341.jpg

Source: http://steamdb.info/app/262340/#section_subs

I'm going to have to pick this up sooner rather than later because if Squeenix handles expansion pack releases the same way it did with FFXI then there'll be different apps:

23360 Game FINAL FANTASY XI
39250 Game FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition
230330 Game FINAL FANTASY® XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition NA

Grief.exe

I'm going to have to pick this up sooner rather than later because if Squeenix handles expansion pack releases the same way it did with FFXI then there'll be different apps:

Don't get your hopes up just yet Jase. They added those images and updated the app about 15 days ago, then haven't touched it since.

Probably planning on a Steam release eventually, but they are just find riding the initial wave of popularity for now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Will buy for Achievements. Be my third time buying it.

JaseC

Don't get your hopes up just yet Jase. They added those images and updated the app about 15 days ago, then haven't touched it since.

Probably planning on a Steam release eventually, but they are just find riding the initial wave of popularity for now.

I don't expect it to release soon. I'd guess that Squeenix is saving the Steam version for the next major patch.

Grief.exe

I don't expect it to release soon. I'd guess that Squeenix is saving the Steam version for the next major patch.

Jase, do you know how MMO subscriptions work with Steam?

Are they required to purchase through the Steam Wallet like with F2P games? Or is that not a requirement?

If its the latter, what is the point of keeping it off of Steam?

JaseC

Jase, do you know how MMO subscriptions work with Steam?

Are they required to purchase through the Steam Wallet like with F2P games? Or is that not a requirement?

Valve added subscription support to Steam earlier in the year (see EVE Online, for example); previously you had to deal with the developer/publisher directly and top up your account ye olde fashioned way.

If its the latter, what is the point of keeping it off of Steam?

I can't be sure but I'd guess that, since Steam now has proper support for subscriptions, they'd need to be offered on the store, similar to Valve's change in DLC policy a couple of years ago, which ultimately led to EA taking its ball (well, two) and going home.

Clott

The question is, should I replay this in the Vita (OLED screen) or is the PC experience with AA and bigger screen the better experience. For the record I only play the Vita on the go when a trave, I won't be traveling around the corner so both will be played at home.

Wiz

I played a demo version of VIII a long time ago on my PC. It was mind-blowing.

This was after playing the PSone version so I was in shock that my computer could play it.

Did we ever find out why square didn't release IX on PC, I guess that cause is totally lost now.

And look how good the art would have looked on a PC display.

Eidos ported VII and VIII and I'm guessing Square just had no interest in continuing that relationship.

Valve added subscription support to Steam earlier in the year (see EVE Online, for example); previously you had to deal with the developer/publisher directly and top up your account ye olde fashioned way.

I can't be sure but I'd guess that, since Steam now has proper support for subscriptions, they'd need to be offered on the store, similar to Valve's change in DLC policy a couple of years ago, which ultimately led to EA taking its ball (well, two) and going home.

They're not forcing developers to support it though, are they? Because I highly doubt Square Enix would go along with it.

JaseC

They're not forcing developers to support it though, are they? Because I highly doubt Square Enix would go along with it.

Well, considering the amended DLC policy, there is a precedent, but since subscription support was added so recently, it's hard to say at this juncture -- none of the MMOs released on Steam since April 25th are sub-based but rather are either "pay once and play forever" (The Secret World and Nether) or F2P (everything else).

Fraxin

I'm surprised that there are a number of people that seem excited to replay FFVIII when I thought most Gafers hate it.

B.K.

I'm surprised that there are a number of people that seem excited to replay FFVIII when I thought most Gafers hate it.

I've always liked VIII. I always start a new game of it every year or so. I always get distracted by Triple Triad and never finish it though. Last time I played the game, my save file was at the 15 hour mark and I still hadn't left Balamb yet.

"Most" is always a tricky judgement to make when talking about hate. If anything you could say the game is more divisive than other final fantasy games.

Well, considering the amended DLC policy, there is a precedent, but since the subscription support was added so recently, it's hard to say at this juncture -- none of the MMOs released on Steam since April 23rd are sub-based.

The more I think about it, the more I think there's no chance of it happening. Square Enix hate that kind of meddling, they sell subscriptions separately on the PS Store and it's one of the reason why the game isn't coming to 360/Xbone. So I really can't see them suddenly pulling a 180 over this, especially since really locking it down would force them to completely change the way the game is set up (subscriptions are tied to accounts, not platforms).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

There's also a lot of people who thought it was one of the best of the classic era.

Opiate

Do we have any real evidence that FFVII sold well on PC, or is the evidence supposed to be that they're re-releasing VIII now too?

That's good news. Link?

- YoshiP mentions they are going to have FFXIV up on Steam

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/124675-Reinheart-Translations!-2.1-and-2.2

A translation from this Famitsu interview:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201312/04044251.html

What do you think are the chances of them providing steam keys to anyone who buys non steam before this happens if it does indeed happen? slim to none ?

Honestly? Zero chances. XI precedent is there and I don't see SE being that awesome.

Grief.exe

Do we have any real evidence that FFVII sold well on PC, or is the evidence supposed to be that they're re-releasing VIII now too?

I haven't heard any specific sales numbers, but the game has been high on the revenue chart in the past and peaked at 2,500 concurrent players today.

JaseC

The more I think about it, the more I think there's no chance of it happening. Square Enix hate that kind of meddling, they sell subscriptions separately on the PS Store and it's one of the reason why the game isn't coming to 360/Xbone. So I really can't see them suddenly pulling a 180 over this, especially since really locking it down would force them to completely change the way the game is set up (subscriptions are tied to accounts, not platforms).

If Squeenix sells subscriptions through PSN then why would it take issue with being required to offer them through Steam, assuming this is the case? Bear in mind that doing so wouldn't prevent Squeenix from offering subscription plans directly itself; it's just the option of buying them through Steam that's required.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
UPDATE

These were uploaded to the Steam registry a few days ago

39150_bg_generated.jpg

39150.jpg
Oh god, FFX in March for PS3 and FFVIII coming soon.
My 2 favourite games, looks like 2014 is going to be a beyond epic year.

FFVIII had some amazing soundtracks. Hell, the entire soundtrack is amazing, not a single bad song imho.
Some of my favourite songs:

Final Fantasy VIII - Breezy
Final Fantasy VIII - Fisherman's Horizon
Final Fantasy VIII - Martial Law
Final Fantasy VIII - Under Her control

Honorable mentions: Force Your Way, Ride On, Balamb Garden.

nbthedude

Wasnt 7 on steam a horribly mangled version with playonline/SE shitware?

All I know is I bought it in the Steam sale and literally it went from "installing" to title screen in 30 seconds. But I already had a Squaresoft account from Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, etc. If you already have an account, it's totally invisible process.

antitrop

All I know is I bought it in the Steam sale and literally it went from "installing" to title screen in 30 seconds. But I already had a Squaresoft account from Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, etc. If you already have an account, it's totally invisible process.

I think he's getting the Steam release confused with the digital PC re-release from 2012.

If Squeenix sells subscriptions through PSN then why would it take issue with being required to offer them through Steam, assuming this is the case? Bear in mind that doing so wouldn't prevent Squeenix from offering subscription plans directly itself; it's just the option of buying them through Steam that's required.

Sorry I said "separately on the PSN" when I meant from the PSN. Square Enix don't sell subscriptions through PSN, they sell the game on the PSN and then the subscriptions in-game. Sony doesn't get a cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom