• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIV Mac Version has problems, surprisingly candid response by Devteam

AkIRA_22

After careful consideration, due to the issues surrounding the Mac version, we have decided to offer a full refund to those who wish to receive one.

Why thank you for adhering to Australian consumer law, that's just amazing of you, how generous.

Refunds should be the same amount you have already paid, provided in the same form as your original payment.

What is a major problem?

A product or good has a major problem when:
  • it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
  • it is unsafe
  • it is significantly different from the sample or description
  • it doesn’t do what the business said it would, or what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed.

A service has a major problem when:
  • it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
  • it is substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time
  • it does not meet the specific purpose you asked for and cannot easily be fixed within a reasonable time
  • it creates an unsafe situation.

Being an MMO, it could be regarded as a good and a service.

Steam and Origin were slapped for this...

It is against the law for businesses to tell you or show signs stating that they do not give refunds under any circumstances, including for gifts and during sales.

Your rights under the consumer guarantees do not have a specific expiry date and can apply even after any warranties you’ve got from a business have expired.

Zomba13

It's fine that they contracted to an outside company. The following paragraph is nice and straightforward.
They weighed the cost vs. the potential profit and decided it wasn't worth it to do a native version. And only made budget sense if they used Transgaming's middleware.

That's fine.

But what the hell is all this other shit about 3D APIs and multiple objects? As someone who knows this stuff it just reads to me like someone trying to shift blame. It's OpenGL's fault! And it just goes on and on. I wonder if its just the programming staff / outside contractors feeding the higher ups bullshit.

Well even if the stuff about OpenGL being different is bullshit from what I understand DirectX can't run on Macs and is Windows exclusive right? So either way they have to fuck about porting it over from DirectX (or using a wrapper). If Macs could use DirectX I'm sure the port job would have gone much more smoothly so in a way it is OpenGLs fault (or rather MS and DirectX). So even if they can do the same things, they do those same things in different ways and are different beasts and require different knowledge which the dev team doesn't have which then feeds into the outsourcing and budget and wrapper.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why thank you for adhering to Australian consumer law, that's just amazing of you, how generous.

Being an MMO, it could be regarded as a good and a service.

Steam and Origin were slapped for this...

Well thankfully this option is available for everyone that isn't Australian.

jax

Banned
I wish they would just release it for free for the people who already own the game on PC/PS4. It's unlike people were buying this OS X version who didn't already own the game.. I mean, it needs beta testing. I would beta test it on my Mac but not for what price they're asking. Plus now you can't even buy it even though it ran perfectly fine on macs that aren't a bajillion years old. Oh well.

I think it's crazy they make you buy the game so many times
Buy FFXIV: ARR PC
Buy FFXIV: ARR PS4
Buy FFXIV: ARR OS X
Buy FFXIV: Heavensward
Buy FFXIV: Heavensward PS4
Buy FFXIV: Heavensward OS X

Craziness. There should at least be some incentive or something? Like if someone owns PC/PS4 ARR and Heavensward they should get broken ass OSX version free

Can't believe they make you buy the game 6 times

Ayumi

I wish they would just release it for free for the people who already own the game on PC/PS4. It's unlike people were buying this OS X version who didn't already own the game.. I mean, it needs beta testing. I would beta test it on my Mac but not for what price they're asking. Plus now you can't even buy it even though it ran perfectly fine on macs that aren't a bajillion years old. Oh well.

I think it's crazy they make you buy the game so many times
Buy FFXIV: ARR PC
Buy FFXIV: ARR PS4
Buy FFXIV: ARR OS X
Buy FFXIV: Heavensward
Buy FFXIV: Heavensward PS4
Buy FFXIV: Heavensward OS X

Craziness. There should at least be some incentive or something? Like if someone owns PC/PS4 ARR and Heavensward they should get broken ass OSX version free

Can't believe they make you buy the game 6 times
It should be free for those who already own the Windows version since they're both on the same machine (Also like SE store vs Steam should not need to be bought twice). But PS4....? You think people who own a copy of a PS4 game should get the PC and Xbox version free too? Then everyone would buy the PC versions first since they're usually cheaper than on console.

So they tried to provide people a game in a software wrapper with huge overhead. Yeah, what could have possibly gone wrong there?

It would have been almost better to release nothing. While I appreciate them being very forthcoming with the truths of the situation (albeit after the fact), it's still a bit unacceptable to consider what they provided a "Mac client" in the first place.

to be fair, a lot of 'Transgaming' products on the Mac work decently well, and they even offer (or did) the wrapped as a stand-alone product for a price taht worked on many things they didn't officially support --- including SE's own Final Fantasy XI.

how have they 'made' you buy the game six times?

You 'technically' have to buy a license for each 'platform' you want to play it on. Which is fine if you looking at PS4 and PC, but kind of silly if you do PS4, PC and Mac, especially in this age of SteamPlay and cross-platform abundances on all platforms.

I think people arguing that PC/Mac should be the same license have a point. But, again, the Mac port cost money to develop sot hey have to make that cost up somehow..

There's some definite downsides to OPENGL, and I really don't feel like he was blaming OpenGL as much as saying the native implementation wasn't working for their game at a level of parity with the Windows version and they admitted making mistakes when going an alternative route. Also you got to remember that this guy is Japanese. It's most likely this was translated for him.

One thing to remember too is that coding an MMORPG is significantly more difficult than, say, Batman: Arkham Asylum or Borderlands. There are probably a LOT of specific tricks and such used that may not translate well from DX to OpenGL.

The tech explanation is what makes this surprisingly candid. Some good info in there.

Thoraxes

This line right here is why he's so loved:

While the development and operations teams, as well as our entire company, were involved in this mistake, it was I who ultimately made the decision to release the Mac version under these circumstances and therefore bear sole responsibility, and I sincerely apologize to you all.

Culpability. Pure, unshifted culpability.

jax

Banned
how have they 'made' you buy the game six times?
I would be fine with a free OS X version at least for ARR.

People who bought PS4 and PC should get that shit free, especially since it's "broken"

Or at least with some kind of discount?

Shit, I'd be fine with buying multiple copies if each one came with a free month.

Actually, I was wrong. I had to buy the game 7 times. Can't forget about the now useless 1.0 CE.

"Can I use my old authenticator?" No.
"Can I login to my old account and get legacy items/legacy monthly pricing?" also no.
"What good is this 1.0 CE then?" Lol

So 80 for 1.0 CE, 60 for 2.0... We're talking almost $250 here for a single MMO WITHOUT subs

Top Bottom