• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV first half is open-world, but the story follows a linear path in the latter half

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sounds like the old "reverse XIII*"

*note: not a sex move

sublimit

Banned
As long as they give me the option to return to the open world stuff whenever i want (in the second half) i'm ok with that.

Munba

It seems a pretty smart choise. And after you finished the main story, you can take the airship and go in the openworld again to find secrets and hidden places. I like this.

Limality

Banned
Well once sh*t get's real there really shouldn't be any time, storywise, to hang around and do monster hunting quests...that's what I understood from playing FFXIII...storywise it made no sense to have an open world from the get go...

Kysen

This is good news, I prefer the theme park style to rpgs. Fetch quest the game like Dragon age is not fun.

This sounds great. When the
plague of the stars begins to happen I will certainly want to be guided towards the main storyline instead of spending those long nights fishing.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm glad as it kinda means the road trip theme (which sounds good on paper) may only be a thing for the first half of the game.

Epcott

Good... I love open world, but it gets repetitive and I lose interest without focus, plus the story suffers (glares at MGSV).

BBboy20

image.php

I kid, I kid.

Nya

I have no problem with it sounds like they're focusing on delivering the story which honestly is one of the main things I was concerned about. It was always kind of weird how in games like Skyrim where there are serious shit happening but I can go about doing my own thing by the end of the game, totally breaks my immersion.

Also, this makes me think the half part of the game is going to be in Insomnia? We already know that it isn't going to be a big explorable city like Altissia, maybe the linearity is going to start from there? I am intrigued honestly to how they're going to pull it off. As long as they make me totally engaged in the story then I am sold.

I really don't think its going to be corridors maybe Uncharted 4 kind of big areas?

Ydelnae

I hope that doesn't mean the part of the Gamescom demo is the only part of the world with wide, open fields. I don't want to go back to corridors in the rest of the game...though on the other hand they might not be as much of an eyesore like the Leide desert and Duscae region are... :)

I'm sure there are more open-world areas later on. The Gamescom demo was just the first 3 chapters, roughly 20% of the story.

Falk

that puzzling face
I have no problem with it sounds like they're focusing on delivering the story which honestly is one of the main things I was concerned about. It was always kind of weird how in games like Skyrim where there are serious shit happening but I can go about doing my own thing by the end of the game, totally breaks my immersion.

Technically, this already sorta happens in the first three chapters. I mean Kingsglaive is all about the invasion in Insomnia and obviously some events and some characters
Ardyn
overlap between the narratives in FFXV and Kingsglaive, meaning there has to be a concrete timeline of sorts, based on what happens in Kingsglaive.

Yet I'm pretty sure you'd be able to camp as much as you want prior to reaching the port for the first time.

Also it's not exactly new to open world. Meteor coming in FF7, brb farm magic pots for 20 hours.

edit:
And on the other hand when the narrative and gameplay mechanics enforce that X event has to happen by Y days (Lightning Returns) people get the pitchforks out. Just saying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dark_castle

Ignoring the 4chan leak, we knew that Noctis is going to have to collect the 13 dead king's weapons, so maybe this adventure will take up the first half of the game, and is considered the open world part of the FFXV. Then some drastic happened in terms of plot, more story extensive elements start to kick in, making it more focused and linear, all the way until the end when party gets the airship and it becomes open like the first half of the game.

I like the sound of this.

OVDRobo

One part of me thinks this is dumb and shows the mixed priorities and shifting development teams, but another part of me thinks it could be good for narrative.

Like, the early parts of the game have you roaming around going about your business, and then serious stuff actually starts happening and your party has to stay focused and not run around killing random wildlife.

Only time will tell.

Dark_castle

Also, this makes me think the half part of the game is going to be in Insomnia? We already know that it isn't going to be a big explorable city like Altissia, maybe the linearity is going to start from there? I am intrigued honestly to how they're going to pull it off. As long as they make me totally engaged in the story then I am sold.

I really don't think its going to be corridors maybe Uncharted 4 kind of big areas?
I like it in Witcher 3 after the battle of Kaer Morhen where
Vesemir dies
, prompting Ciri wanting a revenge, and then game immediately shifts to her and Geralt on linear path of pursuit for the bad guy, with no option to turn back to other places and wander around, because that would hurt the pacing and the urgency of the story.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't want to "justify" it, because who knows what this means, good or bad... but I will say that a good jRPG does take the wheel at times. That's what keeps it from being a wRPG-style "stumble around the until the quest logs fill up" affair.

Nya

Technically, this already sorta happens in the first three chapters. I mean Kingsglaive is all about the invasion in Insomnia and obviously some events and some characters
Ardyn
overlap between the narratives in FFXV and Kingsglaive, meaning there has to be a concrete timeline of sorts, based on what happens in Kingsglaive.

Yet I'm pretty sure you'd be able to camp as much as you want prior to reaching the port for the first time.

Also it's not exactly new to open world. Meteor coming in FF7, brb farm magic pots for 20 hours.

The thing is, it makes sense cause Noctis didn't know about the invasion yet. It would be so bizarre if for example serious shit starts happening by the end of the game but Noctis is like "brb gonna do some chocobo racing and do some fishing". I know this happens in other FFs too, I spent a lot of time in VIII for example collecting magic and leveling up my GFs prior to the final fight. Its weird and might break your immersion but you gotta deal with it I guess.

Personally, when I play open world RPGs I try my best to go completely forward with the story when things start to get serious, kinda like how I did it with The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. In Skyrim though I made the mistake of messing around and it kinda ruined the pay off for me. I wouldn't mind it too much if they kept the entire thing open world in FFXV (I would rush through the main story anyway) but I am glad they're choosing the linearity by the end to preserve story impact on the player, its a bit reassuring. But if this anything like other FFs, I am afraid prior boss fight farming will be inevitable.

sappyday

I'm assuming it's not the actual second half. Like I don't think it'll start to become linear at Chapter 8. I think it'll probably be at Chapter 11 or 12.

Also that means the whole map has to open by that time

Pn6w1pg.jpg

Chapter 4-6 probably has you playing through all of the Accordo area. Then maybe the whole map opens up in Chapter 7.

The quote is very vague. Like do we play linear maps that are specifically created for the story and that can not be accessed through the map? Are these areas within the open world? Or do they just mean the story becomes more linear than the first half which I thought was already linear if you ignore the side stuff.

Don't know. But at least this somewhat means they have been keeping their trailers spoiler free. Cause if the second half is linear then that means a lot more story, but they haven't shown us any of these moments it seems.

Nya

I like it in Witcher 3 after the battle of Kaer Morhen where
Vesemir dies
, prompting Ciri wanting a revenge, and then game immediately shifts to her and Geralt on linear path of pursuit for the bad guy, with no option to turn back to other places and wander around, because that would hurt the pacing and the urgency of the story.

Yeah, I'd like that too actually, it was very well done in The Witcher 3. But since we're talking about second half of the game the scale might just be bigger, I hope they can keep this interesting until the end otherwise it'll be a shame.

Nya

If you play through the first half and only the main route of the second half, I believe the estimated play-time sits at around 40 to 50 hours

Only the main route of the second half? Are there other routes in the story other than the main one? Or is it a mistranslation cause this quote actually confuses me.

Only the main route of the second half? Are there other routes in the story other than the main one? Or is it a mistranslation cause this quote actually confuses me.

There might still be sidequests even when the main path is linear.

Linear doesn't have to mean literally on rails from one place to the next until the end

Falk

that puzzling face
The thing is, it makes sense cause Noctis didn't know about the invasion yet. It would be so bizarre if for example serious shit starts happening by the end of the game but Noctis is like "brb gonna do some chocobo racing and do some fishing". I know this happens in other FFs too, I spent a lot of time in VIII for example collecting magic and leveling up my GFs prior to the final fight. Its weird and might break your immersion but you gotta deal with it I guess.

Really, I think in the cases of game narratives, I'd prefer to think of each player's playthrough as kind of a personalized deviation from 'canon' canon.

I would be highly surprised if you can't camp in the entire second half of the game, considering that's how you level up. Which means that the number of days between whatever significant events in the game would still be up to the discretion of the player.

Go_Ly_Dow

What a shame ...
13 was bad

Why cant they just make the game like 12 ?

This is the opposite of 13..... a game which had no real open world anyway. It had like one big environment towards the end but it was hardly an open world.

artsi

I really doubt that they would limit movement within the world, at least for any extended time. More likely the story just gets tighter pacing and main quests have more linear structure than running around every place doing mundane tasks.

Shredderi

Honestly, it might be for the better. So far I've seen absolutely nothing compelling in their brand of open world game design. Should've done a more linear game from top to bottom. Less chance of boring fetch quests and better chance of having a tighter paced story and lastly, a better image quality.

JBwB

I can't see why anyone would be bothered by this. The Witcher 3 did something similar with it's story.

Did people really enjoyed doing endlessly number of hunts in that semiopen boring world in XII?

(Yes I went there)

Uh yeah? The hunts were amazing lol.

Pooya

I actually like the sound of this. Open world stuff looks very boring so far, it's good to know that there are different things to look forward to.

Dak'kon

Honestly this is the way I wish most games were structured.

The beginning of the game is when I want the freedom to run around everywhere - exploring, soaking in the world and characters and getting to grips with the game mechanics.

The end of the game is when I've seen what the game has to offer, I know the mechanics inside out and I don't want to be dragged down by fetch quest no. 55 and monster mark no. 78. I just want to rush to the finale and be challenged in doing so.

Thank the Lord!!

I was so worried this would be like MGSV the whole way through with too much freedom and no tight pacing.

Look guys, for me when you get towards the end of a plot I need tight pacing, urgency & a firm direction.

This news makes me feel like XV will deliver this to some extent. Now if the story is crap anyway it won't help, but at least it sounds like it's going in the right direction.

Also the quote says 'Main path in the second half'...so it still sounds like some freedom will be allowed.

Anyway if XV can avoid the curse that most open world games (Betheasda ones & more) have for me in terms of pacing of the narrative (especially towards the end...where I don't even care by that point due to side quest number 500 and the ability to just ignore the story) then I'll be a happy chocobo.

Kain

This might be a good thing, a focused last act is always good. Specially in this game where the open world part looks a little bit on the boring side.

Tyaren

I really doubt that they would limit movement within the world, at least for any extended time. More likely the story just gets tighter pacing and main quests have more linear structure than running around every place doing mundane tasks.

But wasn't the part we know from the gameplay vid already pretty linear? You had to take a preset path (you were even automatically driven by the car there) to advance in the story. If you didn't follow that path the next section of the game was sealed off to you.
If Tabata claims that is a real open world and it will actually get really linear in the second part, then that only can mean...*trembles*...corridors again.

How can he drop such a bomb all of a sudden and not properly explain himself? D:

Top Bottom