• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional corporations that are good?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
are there any prominent fictional corporations that you can think of that are considered a "force for good" in their respective universes, while also being for-profit

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
As far as I can tell, Acme Corporation in Looney Tunes is a force for good, since they're products are such failures that the Road Runner is always able to get away...and apparently despite not seeing it, in the Looney Tune movie there's a scene where Wil-E Coyote orders something in the mail from them, which I think would imply they're for profit.

Considering the running time of the Looney Tunes and the near instant delivery times of their goods to their customers, I can only assume they're doing quite well.

Ke0

Given how much people worship corporations you'd think all of them. But in reality none of them

Cybrwzrd

Banned
are there any prominent fictional corporations that you can think of that are considered a "force for good" in their respective universes, while also being for-profit

Are there any prominent real companies that are a force for good? Corporations don't exist for altruistic purposes.

Modern corporate style capitalism is no less evil than communism because humans are inherently greedy, but at least they compete to fuck people over less than a monopolistic communist society does.

dionysus

Yaldog
Are there any prominent real companies that are a force for good? Corporations don't exist for altruistic purposes.

Modern corporate style capitalism is no less evil than communism because humans are inherently greedy, but at least they compete to fuck people over less than a monopolistic communist society does.

Corporations do a ton of good, but because they don't fake altruistic motivations they don't get any credit for it. Logic actually dictates that most corporations are doing good, otherwise you would not give up your hard earned money for their products and services. They must be making your life easier, doing something better than you can do it, or providing a good or service you find valuable. Anyway, here are some examples that are easy to see.

1. Telecom companies laying the internet backbone. Sure, the original idea has its roots in government research, but bringing that idea to the masses and creating the internet was done by corporations motivated by profit.
2. Food crop hybrids and more recently GMO research leading to drought and disease resistant crops. Studies have shown up to 20-30% increases in yields during drought years in Africa.
3. Oil companies saved the whales and gave a cleaner alternative to smog producing coal burning. With modern understanding, people will be very hesitant to say oil somehow helped the environment, but remember this was over 100 years ago, and things were much worse than today. Whales were being hunted to extinction for lamp oil and coal was powering the industrial revolution. London had days where you couldn't see 5 ft in front of you and people were dying of lung related issues. Once petroleum based oil became ubiquitous, the whaling industry completely died. And oil burns cleaner that coal, especially the all important heavy particulate byproduct that coal produces.

Gander

Banned

Costco has a reputation for treating their employees well and also have high quality merchandise.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Silph Co. from Pokemon.
They run both PokeMart and PokeCenter, the latter being completely free of charge. I think they also invented PokeBalls. I have only played Gen I and II Pokemon games, but I never saw anything evil about Silph.

EBE

Weyland Yutani doesn't seem like such a bad joint, really. Colonist terraformers are largely independent, their facilities appear good, and the pay seems fair.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Weyland Yutani doesn't seem like such a bad joint, really. Colonist terraformers are largely independent, their facilities appear good, and the pay seems fair.
Just the occasional android or “bug” infestation that they try to cover up/weaponise/profit from

Last edited:

EBE

Just the occasional android or bug problem that they try to cover up/weaponise/profit from
The android hiccups are just that. The Bishop and later series droids are so close to human that any 'evil' behavior on their part can't be traced back to the company. Free will at that point. See David.

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems from Buckaroo Banzai.

EDIT: No wait, I'm an idiot, it's the total opposite, those are the villains (the company that's a front for the Red Lectroids)

I was thinking it was the name of Buckaroo's lab, but it's been a while since I've seen that movie.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The android hiccups are just that. The Bishop and later series droids are so close to human that any 'evil' behavior on their part can't be traced back to the company. Free will at that point. See David.
Not talking about David.

I’m talking Burke. I’m sure he was just following orders

I’ve re-edited my original post to mean “bug” infestation. Nod nod wink-wink.

I mean xenomorphs

Last edited:
Top Bottom