• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

I feel the exact same way about Night Vale and I loved Limetown. The Message was pretty good, too. I really haven't been able to get into any other fictional podcasts.
I really liked Night Vale, but it just devolved into craziness for the sake of more craziness and nothing ever happened

That other GAFfer's series Moya 107 is doing a similar "radio station in a weird place" but playing it straight

But I'd love to see someone take Night Vale's idea of a town besieged by a weird otherworldly happenings and do a radio station with a bit more seriousness.

Wow, first the one with Laurence Fishburne and now another series with Oscar Isaac

Is that the next step for this medium?

Don't forget the new Nightvale Presents podcast (The Orbiting Human Circus of the Air) that has Tim Robbins, Mandy Patinkin, Mary Elizabeth Ellis, and Charlie Day.

Chojin

Been listening to Edict 0 - FIS for a few weeks now. It's pretty good. Prior to that We're Alive was my first and only fictional podcast I listened to. Listened to it twice, first time took years cause it was relatively new. Then I binged it again after listening to Lockdown.

I'm liking Edict 0, at first it was kinda all over the place, but now in the second season things are coalescing and I THINK I got the world figured out, but who knows?

I tried Once and Future Nerd, wasn't really into it, does it get better? Also dat reverb.

Cool, I didn't realize that series had that cast

Yeah it's pretty crazy. Full cast:

John Cameron Mitchell
Julian Koster (of the band Neutral Milk Hotel, who also wrote the podcast)
Drew Callander
Tim Robbins
Susannah Flood
Dan Solomon
Mandy Patinkin
Mary Elizabeth Ellis
Charlie Day
Cecil Baldwin
Meg Bashwiner
and many more...

Did anyone else notice that The Message is back (Kind of)?

From GE Podcast Theater and Panoply, the producers of The Message, comes a new thriller, LifeAfter. The 10 episode series follows Ross, a low level employee at the FBI, who spends his days conversing online with his wife Charlie – who died eight months ago. Which asks the question, if you live online, where do you spend eternity? Tune in every Sunday beginning November 13 to find out.

There's a cool sounding teaser out. The Message was alright, but this seems cooler.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-message/id1045990056?mt=2

Malyse

Been listening to Edict 0 - FIS for a few weeks now. It's pretty good. Prior to that We're Alive was my first and only fictional podcast I listened to. Listened to it twice, first time took years cause it was relatively new. Then I binged it again after listening to Lockdown.

I'm liking Edict 0, at first it was kinda all over the place, but now in the second season things are coalescing and I THINK I got the world figured out, but who knows?

I tried Once and Future Nerd, wasn't really into it, does it get better? Also dat reverb.

You'll know for certain once you have the world figured out. Promise.

Malyse

Dark Tome
Cassie, a wayward teen, has discovered a magical book that literally transports her to the world within the story. What adventures will we go to with The Dark Tome? It starts on a crooked staircase that leads to the devil. Featuring a preview of the story “The Devil on the Staircase” by Joe Hill.

http://thedarktome.com/

Malyse

Yesterday, Gimlet announced their first foray into fictional podcasts, Homecoming.

https://gimletmedia.com/episode/homecoming-trailer/

I posted about it yesterday.

Do they mean it's an adaptation of an existing Joe Hill story or did he write a story for the podcast?

And man, this subgenre is thriving. Like every day, someone is posting about a new series

It's a story from 2010. I have to think that Joe and the producer are friends or something, because they also did the adaptation of Locke & Key for Audible.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really gripped by Alice Isn't Dead at the moment. It's a 10 part spin off show? from the Night Vale people, but far darker in tone. It gets really creepy in places. Not recommended before bedtime. Season 2 is coming next year.

http://www.nightvalepresents.com/aliceisntdead/

The soundtrack is so amazing, I bought it on Bandcamp.

Fancolors

I was about to drop Mabel because it seemed the story wasn't going anywhere except for the ever present sense of doom and gloom, but something happened and now I'm interested again.

Why are the paranormal events occurring in the Pacific Northwest?
It's just the kind of forests where monsters lurk
Z2OyD.jpg
tumblr_nenc9hf0xM1sqxh5do6_1280.jpg

Glimlet's Homecoming starts on Wednesday. Pretty excited for that

===

Are we doing best of 2016 thing? A lot of new series came out this year. Or it could be opened up to any series that people started listening to this year.

Malyse

Glimlet's Homecoming starts on Wednesday. Pretty excited for that

===

Are we doing best of 2016 thing? A lot of new series came out this year. Or it could be opened up to any series that people started listening to this year.

We'll do a top ten. Everyone lists their current ten favorite podcasts in order by Dec 31, and I'll use that to determine a ranked top whatever. Your top podcast gets ten points, your bottom gets one point. Ties one the list are broken by most mentions followed by highest rank. So if podcast A was on three lists with a highest rank of 4, podcast B was two lists with a highest rank of 2, and podcast C was on three lists with a highest rank of 5, the order is

Podcast A
Podcast C
Podcast B

Every podcast with ten or more points gets listed, meaning that your favorite will make the list, but depending on response might only be an honorable mention.

Also, I'll make a new 2017 Fictional Podcast OT. It's been bothering me how badly sorted this one is, so I'll take that chance to rectify it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The latest The Truth episode is one of my favourite pieces of experimental audio storytelling. I'm always amazed by what that crew is able to push.

Gigglepoo

I really dig LifeAfter. Of course, I liked The Message, too. I guess I just love their style. Along with Limetown, these are my favorite fictional podcasts.

DaveH

lif-e.af/ter (linking to episode list because the homepage has annoying autoplay audio)

"New messages are starting to pop up all around the world that have one very odd thing in common – the people who are talking are no longer alive. But in an age where so much of our lives are recorded, posted, and saved, can we ever really die? If you live online, where do you spend eternity? Tune in to learn about an all new series from GE Podcast Theater, LifeAfter, launching November 13."

I just finished listening to the first episode while working out. I'm definitely in for the whole thing because of the scifi angle, world-building, and slick production, but Episode 1 was a little too much in Ross's head... the best parts were when there was dialog with other characters... so when the story starts in earnest, I expect that to be less of an issue.

DagsJT

I might drop Night Vale. The next episode is A Story About You which I've heard is very good but it's just
.. not as funny or creepy as I hoped after the first episode or two. It's a bit of a mix of both but doesn't seem to so either particularly well.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I might drop Night Vale. The next episode is A Story About You which I've heard is very good but it's just
.. not as funny or creepy as I hoped after the first episode or two. It's a bit of a mix of both but doesn't seem to so either particularly well.

listen to A Story About You

and then stop. i agree it never finds it's footing between funny & creepy but that episode is exceptional

listen to A Story About You

and then stop. i agree it never finds it's footing between funny & creepy but that episode is exceptional
Yes, follow his advice and at least listen to that episode

And then check out Sayer, if you haven't yet. It has some Night Vale vibes (news updates from a singular voice in a weird place) but it's focused and actually gets dark and unsettling while still having dry black humor a la Portal's GlaDOS

DagsJT

Yes, follow his advice and at least listen to that episode

And then check out Sayer, if you haven't yet. It has some Night Vale vibes (news updates from a singular voice in a weird place) but it's focused and actually gets dark and unsettling while still having dry black humor a la Portal's GlaDOS

Really enjoying Sayer. It became a superb podcast as it went on but then it looked like it had a break and since it returned it's lost a lot of momentum after a particular event.

I'm up to episode 16 so you probably know what the event is.

Speaking of which, is the Rose Elf bonus episode worth listening to?

I started Sayer after the WTF comments last week. Is there any over-arching storyline? I stopped at 6 feeling like it was still too far into the wacky/absurdist humor for my taste.

I started Sayer after the WTF comments last week. Is there any over-arching storyline? I stopped at 6 feeling like it was still too far into the wacky/absurdist humor for my taste.
Maybe because I had been listening to Night Vale beforehand, but I just can't see how one could see Sayer as too wacky and absurdist. Like it does have some absurd/black humor but there's always a creepy unsettling undercurrent IMO.

DagsJT

After episode 6, it does start to develop into an arch.

Unit 33

How did I not notice this thread before?

I've been desperate for a new fictional series, to the point I was listening to dodgy readings of SCP articles.

I spend every waking hour that I'm not at work drawing freelance crap, and podcasts really help a lot.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread, you've saved me from the mundanity.

I've listened to the following:

BlackTapes
Tanis
King Falls AM
Limetown
The Message
Nightvale
Shadowvane

Otherwise I listen to a lot of Asimov / Arthur C. Clarke / Phillip K. Dick audiobooks.

brb reading entire thread

Malyse

Terms
On election night, two-term president Oliver Pierce watches in disbelief from the White House as Charles Dunwalke wins a controversial electoral college victory. With only 73 days before Dunwalke’s inauguration, president Pierce makes a secret decision to act, with historic and possibly catastrophic consequences.

Timely.

Voror

Started The Magnus Archives over the weekend. Up to 16 now and really liking it. I love these sorts of tales when framed in its own universe and there is a really nice variance to things so far. The points where an incident is referenced as being related to an issue the Institute is already aware of adds to things as well.

I can't always figure out what is happening with all of them of course. The one about the girl and her fiance I couldn't quite puzzle out, but I suppose that may be the point. The ending of Lost Johns' Cave though gave me chills when I realized what was being said in the recording and the implications.

Glad to hear there's a season two in the works already.

Started The Magnus Archives over the weekend. Up to 16 now and really liking it. I love these sorts of tales when framed in its own universe and there is a really nice variance to things so far. The points where an incident is referenced as being related to an issue the Institute is already aware of adds to things as well.

I can't always figure out what is happening with all of them of course. The one about the girl and her fiance I couldn't quite puzzle out, but I suppose that may be the point. The ending of Lost Johns' Cave though gave me chills when I realized what was being said in the recording and the implications.

Glad to hear there's a season two in the works already.
Yes, that fact that we don't always understand what or why things happened is part of what makes its style of horror so effective IMO.

Voror

Yes, that fact that we don't always understand what or why things happened is part of what makes its style of horror so effective IMO.

I rather like it as well, though at times it does leave wanting just a bit more. I suppose that may also be part of the point.

Sulla1980

I love the way that things are going!

On the Darkest Night, I highly recommend that anyone listens with headphones (which you probably do for a podcast, anyway). There were a few times where I jumped last night because I could have sworn that the sound came from directly behind me.

Sulla1980

Darkest Night sounds interesting, I'll check that one out.

It is my favourite right now; it has none of that cheesiness that is all over a lot of horror podcasts right now. There are very few instances of over-dramatic tones or intonations.

...Except when David Cummings from the nosleep podcast is on.

Malyse

It is my favourite right now; it has none of that cheesiness that is all over a lot of horror podcasts right now. There are very few instances of over-dramatic tones or intonations.

...Except when David Cummings from the nosleep podcast is on.

Eh.

I don't like it when the creators talk about the podcast in the podcast. Doing it before and after (and for that long) is really offputting. I also have this complaint about Homecoming.

-----

Oh, but do check out Terms. JFC it's great.

Sulla1980

Eh.

I don't like it when the creators talk about the podcast in the podcast. Doing it before and after (and for that long) is really offputting. I also have this complaint about Homecoming.

-----

Oh, but do check out Terms. JFC it's great.

Fair enough!

There always seems to be something in the intro/outro of a podcast that breaks immersion - particularly when you have queued up a few episodes. Commercials, I suppose.

Fair enough!

There always seems to be something in the intro/outro of a podcast that breaks immersion - particularly when you have queued up a few episodes. Commercials, I suppose.
Depends on the series really. I liked how the early Magic Tavern episodes would have in-universe ads and sponsors

Malyse

Depends on the series really. I liked how the early Magic Tavern episodes would have in-universe ads and sponsors

I'm sorry to say I really didn't like Magic Tavern 01. To be clear, I didn't *dis*like it enough to delete it, but it's just mediocre. But I didn't like Siblings Peculiar either, so maybe I just dislike that style of podcast. It doesn't do anything for me.

Actually, when it comes to comedy, the only ones I really really like Beef & Dairy and MarsCorp.

-----

Big Data is shockingly terrible. What a waste of talent.

Skittles

Looking for stuff like the Magnus Archives(that's close to it in quality too). Can't wait for season two to start on that series. Currently downloading Limetown and Sayer

Top Bottom