• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

I think it's time for me to drop the PNWS podcasts. I really liked the first seasons of both shows, but I think they should've ended there. Now it feels way too stretched out and either going nowhere or its full of convenient coincidences. I also think they shouldn't have made it a podcast in-universe. It makes things really weird, like [Tanis spoiler]
Nick asking himself if he should accept the job offer, even if it's just to play the corporation, right after speculating that the guy who made the offer listens to the podcast
. Then there's Nick being on TBT, which doesn't seem to influence Tanis at all or his experience on Tanis being carried over to TBT. It makes things a little weird, imo.

I think it's time for me to drop the PNWS podcasts. I really liked the first seasons of both shows, but I think they should've ended there. Now it feels way too stretched out and either going nowhere or its full of convenient coincidences. I also think they shouldn't have made it a podcast in-universe. It makes things really weird, like [Tanis spoiler]
Nick asking himself if he should accept the job offer, even if it's just to play the corporation, right after speculating that the guy who made the offer listens to the podcast
. Then there's Nick being on TBT, which doesn't seem to influence Tanis at all or his experience on Tanis being carried over to TBT. It makes things a little weird, imo.
Yeah, I dropped Black Tapes, and I haven't gotten to Tanis S2 yet. Black Tapes S1 was pretty good, although it did suffer from some really frustrating issues and ended in a tiny whimper, but now that I've expanded into other horror podcasts, the PNWS series have been overshadowed by better series. Limetown, Magnus Archives, Knifepoint Horror, Alice Isn't Dead, Sayer (kind of).

Tanis and TBT aren't recorded at the same time in-universe. Nick does Tanis when Alex and TBT are on break/hiatus. That's why the shows don't bleed into each other. They explained that pretty clearly early on too.

I don't listen to Tanis and I save up TBT episodes for binging during long drives (I'm up to the season 2 finale though) and I haven't heard a quality drop in acting or plotline.

Tanis and TBT aren't recorded at the same time in-universe. Nick does Tanis when Alex and TBT are on break/hiatus. That's why the shows don't bleed into each other. They explained that pretty clearly early on too.

I don't listen to Tanis and I save up TBT episodes for binging during long drives (I'm up to the season 2 finale though) and I haven't heard a quality drop in acting or plotline.

I don't want the shows to cross over, but Nick's personality in Tanis seems a little different than the person he's portraying in TBT. Your explanation would make more sense, if both shows wouldn't release episodes at the same time, but they do, apart from the small break they both take after a season finale.

Oh shit, Sayer ep11. This series is so good. Malyse and I can't be the only ones here who have listened to it, right?

I've subscribed to it, after you praised it so highly, but it's still too far down my list. I'll definitely listen to the first two episodes, though. How's the vibe of the show?

I've subscribed to it, after you praised it so highly, but it's still too far down my list. I'll definitely listen to the first two episodes, though. How's the vibe of the show?
GlaDOS/Hal-style AI is talking to you while you work and live in a facility run by an immoral megacorp. A kind of "everyday life in a strange obviously-messed-up place" story. Dark humor, eerie sci-fi horror elements, a detached dystopian tone that becomes unsettling when you actually think about the implications. After the first few shows, it begins setting up an overarching narrative and doing some lore/world-building

Malyse

I really don't want to update the OP but I really need to add some more stuff to the recommendations. Like Edict Zero FIS, cause holy shut the front that show is excellent. Like, listen to it twice good.

I don't want the shows to cross over, but Nick's personality in Tanis seems a little different than the person he's portraying in TBT. Your explanation would make more sense, if both shows wouldn't release episodes at the same time, but they do, apart from the small break they both take after a season finale.

They don't usually run at the same time. TBT ran first then Tanis came out during TBT's first between seasons hiatus. I don't recall how exactly their season 2's got lined up so closely in release buy I'm pretty sure there's and in-universe reason for that.

As for Nick's personality differences... There isn't a personality difference but a role difference. In TBT he does research, fact checking, episode editing, and makes sure Alex maintains journalistic interigty. In Tanis, he's the reporter, not the producer so he's free to take a different approach. In fact he has to. He has to be a bit more like Alex to dig things up and make progress.

blackw0lf

I really don't want to update the OP but I really need to add some more stuff to the recommendations. Like Edict Zero FIS, cause holy shut the front that show is excellent. Like, listen to it twice good.

Am I missing it or have you not put the Magnus Archives in the OP.

Apologies if you did and I missed it.

Malyse

Am I missing it or have you not put the Magnus Archives in the OP.

Apologies if you did and I missed it.

Like, I don't know how to say "I'm lazy" without straight saying "I'm lazy", but here goes: "I'm lazy"
actually it's just clinical depression that makes it a bitch and a half to actually try to accomplish anything outside of despairing.

I'll get to it soonish. I have a lot to add.

Benjamen Walker's Theory of Everything is one of my favorite podcasts. Really interesting blend of fiction with non-fiction, to the point where it's occasionally confusing whether interviews and stories are scripted or actual reporting. It's a unique show with an inconsistent format, every episode is a new surprise.

Natiko

Banned
Started and fully caught up on Hello From The Magic Tavern thanks to some recommendations here, really love it. Started and almost caught up on King Falls AM now and it's pretty good as well. Time to pick my next ones soon, I've already listened to Lime Town, The Black Tapes, and Small Town Horror.

They don't usually run at the same time. TBT ran first then Tanis came out during TBT's first between seasons hiatus. I don't recall how exactly their season 2's got lined up so closely in release buy I'm pretty sure there's and in-universe reason for that.

As for Nick's personality differences... There isn't a personality difference but a role difference. In TBT he does research, fact checking, episode editing, and makes sure Alex maintains journalistic interigty. In Tanis, he's the reporter, not the producer so he's free to take a different approach. In fact he has to. He has to be a bit more like Alex to dig things up and make progress.

I'm talking about the personal things he's experiencing in Tanis bleeding over into his character in TBT, because something like that might leave a mark. [TBT spoiler]
Similar to how Alex' sleep deprivation messed her up a little.

The two podcasts shouldn't be in the same universe at all, then there would be no need for silly and convoluted "in-universe explanations" for these things. But whatever, it's not my problem anymore and I don't want to ruin the fun for anyone else who's still enjoying the shows.

Malyse

Started and fully caught up on Hello From The Magic Tavern thanks to some recommendations here, really love it. Started and almost caught up on King Falls AM now and it's pretty good as well. Time to pick my next ones soon, I've already listened to Lime Town, The Black Tapes, and Small Town Horror.
Magnus.

Yeah, you want to check out The Magnus Archives. Best horror series I've listened to so far

frequency

I'm also about ready to drop both The Black Tapes and Tanis. It feels like, while stuff is happening, it's not actually going anywhere and there's no conclusion to anything in sight. I'm also becoming increasingly annoyed with the characters.

Started The Magnus Archives. It's great so far. Thanks to everyone who mentioned it in this thread.

Those listening to Magnus, how do you feel about how they've been using other voice actors and having
more archivist moments
recently?

One gripe I have is
how hardcore "Scully" Sims is. Like I get the whole point of the organization is to investigate these events and he's supposed to be skeptically, but it's kind of ridiculous that even after everything, he still always dismisses stories and evidence

Fades

Banned
Welcome to suffering.

Last I heard (from a newsletter in April), they're shopping around a television script and working on a book, which means the podcast is on an indefinite hiatus until they decide how to proceed, so... Might be a while. (Though they did say that there will be more of the podcast regardless, they're just focusing on other media for now)

Malyse

Last I heard (from a newsletter in April), they're shopping around a television script and working on a book, which means the podcast is on an indefinite hiatus until they decide how to proceed, so... Might be a while. (Though they did say that there will be more of the podcast regardless, they're just focusing on other media for now)
And the Leviathan Chronicles is technically on hiatus still. Just saying.

Fades

Banned
And the Leviathan Chronicles is technically on hiatus still. Just saying.

Well, yeah. I don't think we disagree since I don't expect to see anything new from the Limetown podcast for...well, probably forever. I do expect though to see the prequel novel drop sometime in the next couple years, as they have a signed deal and an author actually writing it. But we'll see.

tirminyl

Those listening to Magnus, how do you feel about how they've been using other voice actors and having
more archivist moments
recently?

One gripe I have is
how hardcore "Mulder" Sims. Like I get the whole point of the organization is to investigate these events and he's supposed to be skeptically, but it's kind of ridiculous that even after everything, he still always dismisses stories and evidence

Regarding your first point, I like it. Adds more to the show when it breaks those moments for you. I was able to binge them all from start to the most recent during a road trip.

I too find that a bit annoying. There should be a point in which there is some evolution to the character given the other events.

Is Hello From The Magic Tavern the best podcast, or the best podcast?

===

This series seems promising

The Orphans - http://blacktailproductions.co.uk/the-orphans.html
First season is already complete
The Orphans is a Sci-Fi Audio Drama series focussing on the survivors of a crashed space ship. They have no memory, and no way out. As the group is slowly being hunted, they must work to understand their mysterious arrival on this planet.
Listened to the first episode, and while the acting/writing is only okay IMO, the sound effects are excellent and really add a ton of atmosphere

Sulik2

I just realized The Magnus Archives is modern day. Why does the recording quality sound like it's old-timey?

They mention it multiple times, but when he tries to record on modern electronics things keep happening to the computer so he has to use an old recorder.

Natiko

Banned
Really enjoying The Magnus Archives so far. I'm probably halfway through or so already though so I'm going to need more recommendations soon lol I have some of Tanis queued up but the impressions I've read don't really make me very hopeful about it.

Really enjoying The Magnus Archives so far. I'm probably halfway through or so already though so I'm going to need more recommendations soon lol I have some of Tanis queued up but the impressions I've read don't really make me very hopeful about it.
Sayer is my current favorite after catching up with Magnus

Speely

Banned
Sayer is my current favorite after catching up with Magnus

I listened to the first ep of Sayer based upon your rec, and I quite like it so far. I do feel that the audio could do with some noise gating, as the narrator's breath and smacking between words are clearly audible and sort of compromise the effect of the voice, but I can already tell I am going to like this quite a bit (also, for all I know this could be intentional and I am making assumptions without knowing shit about the story beyond the premise and first ep lol.) It captures an eerie anxiety in a way that doesn't seem forced, or like it's chasing it specifically. I really like the premise as well. Looking forward to listening to the rest available. Thanks for mentioning it :)

Uncanny County - 8 episodes so far

I was actually gonna mention this, it's fantastic. They really get that Twilight Zone vibe. I need to listen to this month's episode.

Return Home is another good podcast that I've been listening to. It's basically more small town hijinks. I've been really enjoying it.

The Tunnels has just started, it seems to be going for the psuedo-investigative vibe that PNWS goes for. It's okay, been a couple of episodes and I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

I almost caught up with The Magnus Archives.

Really fun stuff. It got a good creepy vibe going for it, even if some of the earlier episodes were better. The quality is still there, though, and the later episodes start to tie the stories together.

I just hope it won't end up in a weird mess.

Top Bottom