• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game fans: Do you buy individual characters as DLC? Or the entire pack they belong to?

DLC characters individually? Or packs?

• I buy characters individually; particularly those I really REALLY want.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I want the whole roster - even if some chars don't really appeal to me.

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters

Nickolaidas

I am making this thread in order to see if the number of people who buy DLC characters individually is large enough to make the companies realize that they should invest more in a particular kind of character.

For example, NRS always claimed that the guest characters sell more, which means that there must be a lot of people who bought guest characters only and ignored the core MK characters, but I don't really believe that. So, where do you guys stand?

KiteGr

I wait for the complete edition and buy the the whole thing on a disk.
If the dlc is in voucher codes, I wait some more...

Damigos

After the recent decisions to have multiple season passes on fighting games, i simply dont care anymore. But if i just want a lot to buy a fighting i will wait a couple years for the complete edition

Marvel

could never
Whole packs, I think only game I've not done so and bought fighters individually for was Tekken 7, just because I rarely play it.

Reactions: Isa

cireza

Only a character that I am interested in, but it is still very rare anyway. Only games I did this are Dead or Alive 5 and 6.

The last fighting game I bought that had DLC characters was Blazblue Centralfiction on Steam, and that was only Jubei. Bought him for like one buck during a sale.

Sleepwalker

Dont usually play fighting games but when I buy one i just get whatever edition has all the characters.

They dont retain me enough to buy upcoming dlc

Trimesh

Banned
After the recent decisions to have multiple season passes on fighting games, i simply dont care anymore. But if i just want a lot to buy a fighting i will wait a couple years for the complete edition

Exactly this. Back when you could complete the roster simply by playing the game I was pretty enthusiastic about doing so - but now it's turned into a microtransaction shitfest I've basically lost interest entirely.

Depends on the game, if I don't play it a lot, I only get the ones I'm interested in.
If I play it a lot, then the best way to learn how to counter a character, is to know how they play, so I get all characters and play them all.

This is also why I'll never bother waiting for "complete" editions, by that time everyone has already moved on and you're stuck playing a bunch of elite try hards so you don't learn anything anyway; might as well fight bots or friends, and in that case might as well have gotten it when it was still "hot".

Depends on the characters. If it’s all ones I enjoy playing as, I’ll get the entire group, but, if it includes ones I’ll never play, just individual. Usually, the ones I like are already in the game so I don’t have to buy any.

Smasher89

hmm, for smash ultimate i got a pack with multiple ones once a character i wanted to play showed up, so got the second pack and never bought the first one, probably should just have bought the individual character in retrospect, but at least there was stages and alot more music with it.

Soul Calibur 6 I was anticipating back when it wasnt announced, then it released without lots of characters and were clearly on the dlc bandwagon, so i've yet to get it. Online is probably dead so prob not getting it at all since i wouldnt invest too much time into it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom