• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

vulva

Not only is Scott not doing the new Blade Runner, it's Denis Vileneuve (sp?) who has made several really brilliant movies in a row.

Villeneuve is really good. I didn't love Prisoners but otherwise I've liked everything I've seen from him. Re-watched Enemy last night since my gf hadn't seen it, what a great flick.

Ir14JAh.png

MrCarter

I saw this on Reddit recently and thought it was a good analysis of the animations in Injustice 2.

Credit: XXXCheckmate

"I think most of us have seen this video...

https://youtu.be/t06Dkdg6fEo

...explaining why MKX’s animations are pretty bad. Seeing as how Injustice 2 has just come out and their animations are a relevant topic, I thought I’d explain why these animations are considered to be subpar. I don’t have any experience in art or animation but I’ve played plenty of fighting games so I have an idea of how a fighting game character should move. This piece was going to cover more than just the idle animations but going through the roster I realized that so many of them were awful they warranted their own post. I might do a part 2 sometime in the future but for now I’m just going to stick to covering these lazy/placeholder idle stances that somehow made it to the final release.

Deadshot:

So there are a number of things wrong with Deadshot’s idle animation...

d1rNoO.gif

Superman’s isn’t perfect either but there’s a lot worse stuff to cover in this game so I’ll just focus on those instead.

First of all, Deadshots stance just looks lazy. A lot of this game’s animations can really be pinned down to one key aspect; these are not fighting poses. This is a fighting game so characters should be in the proper stance to not only throw an attack but to also take one. If you can convey personality over utility that’s fine too but Deadshot does neither. For example, Superman is excusable in this scene because invincibility is part of his character. No one can actually hurt him so he has no real reason to actually prepare for a blow. Deadshot, however, is a mere human as well as a trained assassin. Even if you don’t know martial arts, you’re basic instinct would put you in a pose that wouldn’t have you fall over from one punch and you’d position yourself in such a way that would protect vulnerable parts of your body. His legs are erect, making him easier to knock down since his knees aren’t bent to support him. His chests and face are exposed and they’re all facing his opponent almost head on. He’s essentially asking to get hit. You think someone who is trained in killing would understand that this is not how you’re supposed to fight.

Deadshot is also an assassin that incorporates a lot of weapons into his fighting style. Him leaving his body exposed would be OK if that meant he looked as if he was in a position to pull out the proper weapon at any given moment. Too bad he clearly isn’t. He doesn’t have a hand near his shoulder to pull the rifle off his back. It doesn’t look like he’s trying to take aim with his wrist cannons since they’re moving around so much and his hands are nowhere near his legs to pull out the knives on the side of his body. It looks more like he’s in an awkward conversation at a club rather than trying to kill someone.

I couldn’t think of a fighting game character that also used wrist cannons in a way that Deadshot does, but there are plenty that use guns in combat. Jill Valentine...

avmaATc.gif

...does the mercenary stance right. She has an actual fighting stance; something that a trained officer would actually use. Chris Redfield is the same way...

BA2ezAX.jpg

His body is protected but at the same time he’s ready to fire his gun. These two characters aren’t quite the same as Deadshot in terms of fighting style but at least you can tell that they are by their stances. If you they were just stick figures or silhouettes you would get an idea of what exactly they did and how they fought. With Deadshot you wouldn’t even be sure if he was in a fighting game or a background character in Dance Dance Revolution.

Cheetah:

I don’t know much about the character Cheetah but with a name as blatant as that, you’d think it’d be easy to animate that character properly. But of course NRS chooses the lazy route and gives her the poise of a lazy house cat rather than a ferocious predator...

giphy.gif

Actually, if this movement was placed on Catwoman it would actually be passable (unfortunately NRS thought she would be better off with the traditional “wading in water”...

giphy.gif

...stance that everyone in their games seems to have). Anyway, there’s another DC fighting game that came out waaaaaay before Injustice called Justice League Task Force. It was for the SNES and Genesis and was developed by Blizzard and is their only fighting game. I honestly think that game has a better stance for Cheetah than Injustice 2.

giphy.gif

The way her knees are bent shows that she’s ready to pounce at any moment (just like a real cheetah), and her claws are in a proper position to actually slash at opponent instead of trying to do the Egyptian dance. Seems like even the NRS animators felt that her stance was weak because if enough time passes you’ll see her do a little roar so that you don’t forget that she’s actually supposed to be a Cheetah. Plenty of animal characters exist in fighting games so it should be too hard to get an idea of a proper stance. Is she savage like Talbain?

tal-fight.gif

Or is she more playful like Felicia and Taokaka?

felicia-originalstance.gif

taokaka-crouch.gif

I don’t know much about the character but from what I can tell by her mannerisms in game, a Talbain pose would be more appropriate than this.

Flash:

The Flash seems to have the exact opposite problem as every other character mentioned.

giphy.gif

He moves way too much. At least NRS attempted to express personality through an idle stance but they failed in animating it a sensible manner. Here, the Flash’s bottom half is completely out of rhythm with his top half. His legs move up and down quickly but his arms out of sync with the rest of his movement. Not to mention that his legs are just bouncing up and down. He’s not taking a step or lifting his foot off the ground. He’s just shaking his legs. And what exactly is his right hand doing? It doesn’t look like he’s prepping or stretching; it just looks like he’s moving his hand around for the sake of looking active. We get it. He’s the flash and he’s fast. But at least put some rhythm and coherency into his movement.

I couldn’t think of another fighting game character that was comparable to the Flash in terms of speed but the idea of a quick and nimble character is not new to the genre. There are plenty examples of characters that agile and you can tell just by their idle animations. Vanessa is a great example.

vanessa-xi-stance.gif

She’s anxious to fight so she keeps herself moving. Her entire body is in sync in terms of movement so it looks natural. She even manages to take a couple of steps to show that she is on the move and that’ll she’ll be all over the place during the fight. El Fuerte also does this right.

giphy.gif

He puts his energy into natural movement. His legs are moving which shows that he’s a runner and it compliments his playstyle perfectly.

Cyborg:

Out of all the characters in the game, Cyborg probably has the worst idle stance.

giphy.gif

I have no idea what this character is trying to convey. He’s half-robot and half-human, so he stands like he’s about to throw a football? There are so many things wrong with this stance it’s hard to decide to where to begin. First and foremost, this is not a fighting stance in the slightest. He arms aren’t ready to throw a punch. His face if forward just asking to get hit since his arms are pointed downwards at an awkward angle and his body facing towards the front making it impossible for his right to be of any use in actual combat.

Secondly, he is completely facing forward so when he inevitably turns around his entire back is to the screen.

gPLqCop.png

A couple of other fighting game characters have been animated with their back to the players (Kim Kapwhan in the Real Bout games and Kouryu in Last Blade 2) but you can tell that they were designed with that pose in mind.

RBFF_Kim.png

ko-slash.gif

You can clearly see their legs and at least one arm at all times, not to mention that Kim uses mostly kicks so his attacks are all still depicted properly while Kouryu’s sword is always shown to the viewer. In Cyborg’s case, his entire body is hiding his limbs which in turn hide some of his attacks.

The worst part of this, however, is the fact that the idle animation on the character select screen is significantly better than what is present in game! He looks calm and calculating just like how a cyborg should be. His cannon is ready to fire but his other arm is near it so he can steady his shots as well potentially protect his face. I have no idea why they went with the quarterback pose over the Megaman/Samus Aran style pose."

I'll post the second half later as it is too long.

Sayad

Lmao, was scrolling through the page and thought that was a shaowebb post.

Cheetah looks like she's trying to act like a wild cat but she's only half way through with it, wonder if it's mainly a bad motion capture performance. For most characters, it's like someone in the animation team know how their stance should be but they just can't get it right.

Tizoc

I watched Desk's combo video of Brainiac and one his moves has him crouch and his tentacles strike towards the opponent.
The animation looked really lame; he just crouches and the tentacles go towards the opponent.
If it were a JP dev, the animation would have him look like he punches the ground making the attack look more powerful looking.
For lack of a better GIF, I present one of Victor's animations from VS.
While this isn't the best animation take note of how 'impactful' the animation shows his punch, it really reverberates through his body
vic-fp.gif

Something like that is what I feel is missing from the animations in IJ.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
it's not so much a 'jp vs us dev' thing as much as it is just basic competence tbh. Killer Instinct and SkullGirls are good for instance.

pizzacat

Banned
It's more like why fix something that ain't broken (in terms of sales)

Also I think I'll be okay with the animations looking like ass if a Japanese dev can make a netcode that isn't reminiscent of the feudal era

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cheetah looks like she's trying to act like a wild cat but she's only half way through with it, wonder if it's mainly a bad motion capture performance. For most characters, it's like someone in the animation team know how their stance should be but they just can't get it right.
In this case I think it's intentional, and NRS likes their characters to adopt similar poses and posture, and as a result character silhouettes are never as far as out as you might find in other fighters (which doesn't really matter unless there's more than two characters on screen, but it definitely makes things look more dynamic).

Good post, and I'm glad you posted all of it. I never would have clicked on a link. :p

NRS fixed female faces in IJ2. In IJ3 we'll get good animations.

MrCarter

2nd Half

Credit: XXXCheckmate on Reddit

"Captain Cold:

At first glance Captain Cold’s pose isn’t so bad.

eXBkjm0.png

It looks like he’s on guard in his secret lair or maybe he’s about to wreak havoc in a bank that he’s robbing. It is a very comic book-esque for a villain to have. It fits the character but it doesn’t fit the scenario of a one-on-one fighting game. In game it looks kind of awkward. The barrel of his gun should at least be pointing in the direction of his opponent, not up at the ceiling. Not to mention this is another pose that looks awful when their back is towards the camera since you can’t see anything but their back. If you’re going to be too lazy to have all animation leave the character facing forward, at least have the decency to make a character’s idle stance be interesting from both sides.

Poison Ivy:

I understand that she’s supposed to be seductive but I’m not really getting that.

KejbvT4.png

I don’t mind characters sacrificing realistic poses for the sake of expressing personality (Mai, B. Jenet),...

mai.gif

snk-bjenet.gif

...but what exactly is Poison Ivy supposed to be expressing here? Her pose makes her look like an Egyptian hieroglyphic. There is nothing really sexy or inviting about that pose.

Wonder Woman:

She is literally doing everything wrong in this pose.

SRW6Xxv.png

Her primary method of attacking is placed in a way that makes unnecessarily difficult to retaliate while her other hand is doing nothing when it could at least be close to her face or in a proper position to protect her body. What are you most likely going to be doing when you’re crouching in a fighting game? Blocking. Despite the fact that Wonder Woman is crouching, nothing about this pose says defense in the slightest. It looks like her opponent dropper their sword and Wonder Woman is politely picking it back up for them. Now look at Terry.

terry-cvs2-intocrouch.gif

The position of his hands cover pretty much every option he would encounter if he was crouching and in a fight. Hands are protecting his face but at the same time they’re ready to strike if he needs to."

Top Bottom