• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I feel that because there are so many events these days a lot of stuff is overlooked or goes under the radar. Before, Winter Brawl not having competition brings players from other regions and games but you have something like two international tourneys going on this week along with another West Coast one. The very best players are going to be spread all over the place which could make any one particular tournament not as competitive and hype as it could be. This is a curse and blessing at the same time.

West Coast Warzone and NWM is going be the same way when they happen, etc. It would be a good idea for organizers to research before scheduling their events unless they don't care.

Tripon

I feel that because there are so many events these days a lot of stuff is overlooked or goes under the radar. Before, Winter Brawl not having competition brings players from other regions and games but you have something like two international tourneys going on this week along with another West Coast one. The very best players are going to be spread all over the place which could make any one particular tournament not as competitive and hype as it could be. This is a curse and blessing at the same time.

West Coast Warzone and NWM is going be the same way when they happen, etc. It would be a good idea for organizers to research before scheduling their events unless they don't care.

You say that, but sometimes, the only time a venue is available is one weekend in a given month. We're talking about committing tens of thousands of dollars 3+ nights. Sometimes, the alternative is just not hosting the event.

Kumubou

You say that, but sometimes, the only time a venue is available is one weekend in a given month. We're talking about committing tens of thousands of dollars 3+ nights. Sometimes, the alternative is just not hosting the event.
This, pretty much. These events are planned months in advance, and given locations and budgets, scheduling options can be very limited.

Outside of sponsored players and events of high importance to a given community, it's not a huge issue for attendees if there are events in wildly different parts of the country, as they would typically not be traveling cross-country to begin with. Stream monsters are a different concern, but thats something only a vanishingly small number of people should even care about (hint: pretty much none of them have anything to do with fighting games).

Malice215

SFV is so bad right now that you can't get people to watch Topanga for free.

At least the salt from people in this top 8 has been very entertaining.

Tripon

Winter Brawl averaging only 9,000+ for Sunday top 8 right now when it got 40,000 last year. Of course, it's Bifuteki vs. Team Spooky last year.

Losing Team Spooky as the main FGC stream has also dampened viewership.

Nuu

Banned
I'm host a tournament called "Punch the Ballot". It's a biweekly tournament where people vote for what games they want to play.Basically there are two rounds of polls.
The first with ~ 30 games.And the second with 5 of the highest voted games from the first poll.The game with the most votes on the second poll wins and is streamed on Wedensday night.

Vote in the Round 1 poll here!

Kumubou

I'm actually amazed at how much worse Capcom managed to make SF5 s2 from a spectator's standpoint while, at best, not really improving anything for the players themselves.

I know I have pretty much zero interest in watching SF5 at this point.

I'm actually amazed at how much worse Capcom managed to make SF5 s2 from a spectator's standpoint while, at best, not really improving anything for the players themselves.

I know I have pretty much zero interest in watching SF5 at this point.

youll be at psx again and you know it

Tripon

Not just PSX. Kumubou took a work day off, drove all the way from Arizona to Santa Ana (6+ hour road trip) to watch the first day too in person. I actually live in Socal, and I wouldn't take a day off to watch as much SFV than Kumubou did that weekend.

Kumubou

Not at this rate I won't.

Granted, Capcom could address the games issues... but given that they can't fix issues that take modders minutes to fix, I'm not hopeful.

Not just PSX. Kumubou took a work day off, drove all the way from Arizona to Santa Ana (6+ hour road trip) to watch the first day too in person. I actually live in Socal, and I wouldn't take a day off to watch as much SFV than Kumubou did that weekend.
To be fair, I would have lost that day off if I didn't use it so I needed to do something with it. That and the drive isn't a huge problem for me for whatever reason.

Yeah, I probably could have just saved the money and stream monstered it, but... I didn't. And right now, I don't even have a desire to watch it on stream.

Not at this rate I won't.

Granted, Capcom could address the games issues... but given that they can't fix issues that take modders minutes to fix, I'm not hopeful.

To be fair, I would have lost that day off if I didn't use it so I needed to do something with it. That and the drive isn't a huge problem for me for whatever reason.

Yeah, I probably could have just saved the money and stream monstered it, but... I didn't. And right now, I don't even have a desire to watch it on stream.

if you talking about that load time fix idk if i'd call it a fix

Also flux is consistent in being the one of the saltiest players in the fgc

NEO0MJ

I'm host a tournament called "Punch the Ballot". It's a biweekly tournament where people vote for what games they want to play.Basically there are two rounds of polls.
The first with ~ 30 games.And the second with 5 of the highest voted games from the first poll.The game with the most votes on the second poll wins and is streamed on Wedensday night.

Vote in the Round 1 poll here!

That's really nice of you but aren't you worried about joke voters? It's the only reason Melty Blood got into EVO that one year after all.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
We're talking about stream numbers. It's obvious the tournaments themselves will be fine for attendees. Most tournaments are. But I can only imagine that TO's would think the more, the merrier.

Grand Finals did no better than NLBC in it's latest peak. As I already said, the major problem is the lack of many big names many people are associated with. This year's Winter Brawl is probably the smallest in the modern era of fighting games. It was basically NLBC with a few of the other Tri-state people. Chris G is probably the only West Coaster to attend. I don't think TS was there in any capacity and yeah having it on Bifuteki will definitely get less viewers than Spooky's main stream or even Art's. That and the other problem people already said, SFV season 2 isn't exactly lighting up everyone's excitement. Even Punk himself said the game is worse.

Nuu

Banned
That's really nice of you but aren't you worried about joke voters? It's the only reason Melty Blood got into EVO that one year after all.

It isn't really that much of a problem. Joke voters only effected the results once, and since then I only put reasonable games on the list.Since then every winning game has been one of quality.

Nuu

Banned
So what's going on? The stream for the recent tournaments are down YoY and people are concerned that interest in the genre is waning?

Tripon

During today’s WinnerStaysOn stream on Capcom Fighters, Capcom’s Matt Edwards and host Logan Sama gave us a peek ahead at what events will host the European section of the Capcom Pro Tour in 2017. Here are the upcoming dates and locations as stated:

Sonic Boom Summer Edition: April 1-2; Madrid, Spain
Ultimate Fighting Arena: April 8-9; Paris, France
Hypespotting VI: April 15; Glasgow, Scotland
The Colosseum: May 6-7; Rome, Italy
FFM Rumble 10: May 19-21; Frankfurt, Germany

Capcom’s CPT main page has not yet been updated at the time of writing, so changes may yet occur–as for which events are Premier and which are Ranking, only Ultimate Fighting Arena in Paris was confirmed to be a Premier event so far, but there will be others–possible out of these five, possibly not–as Edwards indicated that there would likely be about thirteen CPT events in Europe (aside from the Regional Finals), with up to three Premier events.

This was back on Jan. 31st. What the hell Capcom, at least put the schedule on the CPT website.

http://shoryuken.com/2017/01/31/europes-first-five-capcom-pro-tour-2017-dates-locations-revealed/

Ultimate Fighting Arena is the CPT Premier and on the same weekend as Northwest Majors and West Coast Warzone.

Anne

So what's going on? The stream for the recent tournaments are down YoY and people are concerned that interest in the genre is waning?

I can only speak for myself personally, but this is probably the lowest my interest has ever been in the genre. And I have steady work I can get in fighting games! It's just the esports side of fighting games have become progressively stale and even worse since SFV came out. Things are amazingly stagnant. Meanwhile I can watch a Korean LoL/Overwatch league match basically every night that is actually worth watching. Then during weekends there's usually even NA/EU events happening too. I can also load up those games and play decent matches without jumping through hoops like in fighting games. There's also interesting streams and team things happening behind the scenes often.

Why should I watch a game I think is shit(like it or not SFV runs the scene), with the same old people and tournaments that aren't getting more exciting, and then go play games with unacceptable infrastructure. Why do I care about these guys I never see really stream or interact that much? Hell what would they stream? Worthless fighting game netplay? lol

There are things happening and I know good meaning, hard working people will tell me there's stuff happening. I respect that, but I personally can't be enthused for this shit anymore. I hope whatever the big orgs are cooking up can save this, but I have little faith until a competent dev builds a game worth playing and investing a scene into.

Dahbomb

This is kind of an off season and I think people are waiting for the CPT to start its engine with major players starting to travel. As far as SFV is concerned, Capcom basically announced a new patch is coming so people are just kinda straggling along until the patch comes.

But make no mistake... Capcom messed up big time. And it's one thing to mess up but they have repeatedly shown to either fix problems too late/slow or just not fix them at all. It's bordering on incompetency at this point by some department at Capcom and I don't use that word lightly because I know it's very difficult to work in game development especially on a tight budget while resources are probably also being allocated into making Marvel Infinite.

Of course the actual PC games are leagues ahead of the fighting genre. I can't tell you how many times I have ranted on this topic in these very threads numerous times. People's expectations have ramped up dramatically and fighting games haven't kept up, plain and simple.

The scene is being lead by Smash and SFV at the moment... if you don't care about either of those games then you got very little investment in the scene as a whole. Yea sure other games get played but it's not nearly at that level of competition or coverage. Marvel is the only game on the horizon that can reasonably change that but that's being made under CAPCOM. I know Capcom did well with RE7 and a couple of other projects recently but their fighting game division has been god damn suspect since SFxT.

As far as these YoY drops in viewership for SFV is concerned... this is to be expected because a year ago SFV was a newly released game. There is always going to be the new game hype. We won't have 5K entrants for SFV either at EVO.

Tripon

This is kind of an off season and I think people are waiting for the CPT to start its engine with major players starting to travel. As far as SFV is concerned, Capcom basically announced a new patch is coming so people are just kinda straggling along until the patch comes.

But make no mistake... Capcom messed up big time. And it's one thing to mess up but they have repeatedly shown to either fix problems too late/slow or just not fix them at all. It's bordering on incompetency at this point by some department at Capcom and I don't use that word lightly because I know it's very difficult to work in game development especially on a tight budget while resources are probably also being allocated into making Marvel Infinite.

Of course the actual PC games are leagues ahead of the fighting genre. I can't tell you how many times I have ranted on this topic in these very threads numerous times. People's expectations have ramped up dramatically and fighting games haven't kept up, plain and simple.

The scene is being lead by Smash and SFV at the moment... if you don't care about either of those games then you got very little investment in the scene as a whole. Yea sure other games get played but it's not nearly at that level of competition or coverage. Marvel is the only game on the horizon that can reasonably change that but that's being made under CAPCOM. I know Capcom did well with RE7 and a couple of other projects recently but their fighting game division has been god damn suspect since SFxT.
At this point, I rather see a company like Redbull or Razer just take over management of CPT.

Dahbomb

At this point, I rather see a company like Redbull or Razer just take over management of CPT.
I don't think management of CPT is the main issue here. It can be better yes, but the main issue is that SFV isn't where it needs to be both from a casual and professional perspective. I guess you can say that Capcom can leave the CPT stuff to those companies and focus solely on making SFV better, which is a valid suggestion.

Anne

Yeah, CPT can be better, but honestly SFV and Smash both have glaring infrastructure problems at the game level which don't really work with any currently relevant esport models.

Dahbomb

Yeah, CPT can be better, but honestly SFV and Smash both have glaring infrastructure problems at the game level which don't really work with any currently relevant esport models.
Yeah but what makes THIS time frame so different from last year or the year before? It can't be just that Overwatch released and people were like "oh man these fighting games are so backwards". No this has been an issue since LoL/DOTA became big, maybe since before that.

Netcode hasn't progressed to a point where online play can be taken too seriously especially for online events, competition and events. Lobby systems, private matches, extra modes, streaming through the console, stats tracking, in-game guides/tutorials... everything is a decade or so behind. We JUST got stuff like Replays in fighting games and that was a feature in GOD DAMN BROOD WARS!

Times like these I seriously wonder how Blizzard/Riot/Valve would make a fighting game and how successful they would be. Blizzard is probably the company which would have the easiest time doing it because they have a massive character roster they can pull from.

Anne

Yeah but what makes THIS time frame so different from last year or the year before?

This year we're not riding the high of future prospects. The growth was always there with a bit of "just need that next big push." The next big push was supposed to be SFV last year and honestly it's kinda just puttered out while no dev has really followed up with anything worthwhile.

Again, the actual esports industry people don't seem as gloomy as me or else they wouldn't still be investing. Personally, I just see this as a year that could end up rough all around. Personally I'm much more interested in other things scene fighting games seem to be moving too slow.

Kumubou

Yeah but what makes THIS time frame so different from last year or the year before? It can't be just that Overwatch released and people were like "oh man these fighting games are so backwards". No this has been an issue since LoL/DOTA became big, maybe since before that.

Netcode hasn't progressed to a point where online play can be taken too seriously especially for online events, competition and events. Lobby systems, private matches, extra modes, streaming through the console, stats tracking, in-game guides/tutorials... everything is a decade or so behind. We JUST got stuff like Replays in fighting games and that was a feature in GOD DAMN BROOD WARS!

Times like these I seriously wonder how Blizzard/Riot/Valve would make a fighting game and how successful they would be. Blizzard is probably the company which would have the easiest time doing it because they have a massive character roster they can pull from.
I wish fighting games were only a decade behind on netcode. Most FGs now have worse netcode than FPSs did in 1997. 20 years!!! This has been an issue since the beginning of the modern Internet and effectively nothing has been done about it. It's tiring dealing with this shit.

As for what the difference is now?... Hope. Last year we knew there was possibility for growth and SF5 had a rough start, but I think people were hopeful that Capcom would improve the game... and the last year has improved nothing. It's like they want to use the Games as a Service model and completely forgot about the service part, thinking they could make something that kind of sort of did what competitors did and roll in the cash.

Again, the actual esports industry people don't seem as gloomy as me or else they wouldn't still be investing. Personally, I just see this as a year that could end up rough all around. Personally I'm much more interested in other things scene fighting games seem to be moving too slow.
I'm wondering just how much more information they're operating with than we are. I would imagine a fair bit, but I kind of question how willing a Japanese developer would be when it came to communicating with international e-sports companies, and if the investors are expecting even a fraction of Bilzzard's or Riot's or Valve's competence, they're in for a whole bunch of pain... But they should know better than that... Right?

That shit is on the middle of the night my man, lol.

I've been watching cause I'm working a 2nd shift and get to watch all the Asia streams before my bedtime.

Sucks for matching making though.

Dahbomb

Why not just put that faith of "waiting for the next big thing" on to Marvel Infinite?

Disney and Marvel backing it up big time this time around. There definitely seems to be more support from Marvel 3. Marvel 3 grew from Marvel 2, Marvel is a huge property now and Marvel Infinite is expected to grow from Marvel 3 (which at its peak was second only to SF4).

This is the next big thing for the FGC so the hope is still there. But the real issue is that people don't actually have faith in Capcom to move the FGC to the next level based on their past experiences.

It's like they want to use the Games as a Service model and completely forgot about the service part, thinking they could make something that kind of sort of did what competitors did and roll in the cash.
Sums about SFV just about right.

Top Bottom