• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

shaowebb

Saw the trailer. Wasn't sure what IronFist is about.

Actually I've been watching and the show is decent. The critics seem to have came in blind either expecting crime fighting super powers and sex like LC, DD, and JJ or they came in thinking "martial arts superhero trained by monks= asian guy". It was trending this morning on twitter that the critic reviews of Iron Fist were Godhand levels of fucking stupid. The Colleen fights are the only real complaint I got personally. Seemed like the ciritics were all parroting each other and folks were adopting whatever they were told before launch. I'm about halfway and they're doing a decent job of showing Danny as a guy out of place in Kun Lun for being a white rich outsider who comes back and finds himself so changed that he is out of place back in the world he left. They got his awkwardness pretty down. He's out of place in both worlds and thats the entirety of Danny.

Watch it and make your own opinions is my advice and the same advice most folks are giving right now. The reviews are straight Godhand tier screwed up. Its not "oh the bad, oh the suck" like the dudes competing to be the most condescending elite netflix connoisseur are making it out to be. Its pretty good. Its just not a nonstop action piece like sooooo many of those low reviews complained it wasn't. It actually develops a realistic reaction of this awkward dude coming back after 15 years saying he was raised by warrior monks and is the heir to a billionaire's fortune with controlling stock in the company.

TLDR: Make your own opinion. The reviews are so wrong and filled with asshats with no idea what Iron Fist's origin and story are that its been trending twitter off and on all day. Too many dudes thinking the show was gonna be something the character's origin story would never fit venting about it online doesn't make this show suddenly bad.

Just like Fighting Games, try them out for yourself before making an opinion. Don't listen to parrots.

shaowebb

Godhand review was accurate, not stupid. Fall back, nerd.

F2VRwIJ.gif

shaowebb

Like I said...games, shows, movies...it doesn't matter. Experience them for yourselves and make your own opinions. In some cases its just different strokes for different folks. You should check out the Iron Fist thread though. Since it hit theres a ton of folks before me and long after stating that the show is fine and the reviews are fucked. Some folks still stand against, but in the end make your own opinion about things.

Like with fighting games, you don't need a loud public approval to back you first before you're allowed to enjoy something.

The close up RE style camera is what makes the action feel so good and why it has one of the best dodge systems in any action game.

Nothing wrong with the controls either.
It's not a RE game though. I can understand tank controls in those games because you're supposed to feel like a loser. But in a beatemup? Nah, fuck that. Any game with tank controls can go straight into the bushes.

It's not a RE game though. I can understand tank controls in those games because you're supposed to feel like a loser. But in a beatemup? Nah, fuck that. Any game with tank controls can go straight into the bushes.
Sounds like you need more time with the game to learn how the controls work with the combat. Controls fit the combat quite well.

Sophie's choice between hopeless fanboy and professional troll
Just because someone doesn't like your favorite games doesn't make them a troll.

But you already claimed to put me on ignore, so continue with your Trump-esque fake news.
Sounds like you need more time with the game to learn how the controls work with the combat. Controls fit the combat quite well.
I put in a lot of time with the game actually. But thanks for assuming I only played for 10 minutes.

BadWolf

It goes hand in hand with the gameplay.

God Hand's excellent dodge system works precisely because of this camera.

And the action also benefits from this since you see all the moves (which are animated really well) more up close. It's the same reason the reloading animation felt so good in RE4, not only was it well animated but you could see it up close.

I put in a lot of time with the game actually. But thanks for assuming I only played for 10 minutes.
I didn't assume you only played 10 minutes. A lot of people just play through the game once or twice on easy or normal, and you can blow through the game without learning the intricacies of the combat. It's you just use the same argument that because the game has tank controls that the game controls bad, or that the camera is bad because it's close. The game is built around the tank controls and the camera. If the camera was zoomed out you could not make calls about counter hits on specific moves or if an attack is high, mid, or low to do the correct dodge (and when to time dodges).

I didn't assume you only played 10 minutes. A lot of people just play through the game once or twice on easy or normal, and you can blow through the game without learning the intricacies of the combat. It's you just use the same argument that because the game has tank controls that the game controls bad, or that the camera is bad because it's close.
Yes, because tank controls are fucking awful. If the controls are taking away fun from my experience, then why would I bother playing it more than once? Hell, I played it twice because I thought I was too hard on it the first time and I came away even angrier, and part of that anger was at myself for being dumb enough to give it another chance.

Beckx

So would you recommend GodHand to somebody who isn't easily upset by control schemes?

No! Get Momodora, it isn't "controversial", you can play it on modern systems, and you'll be playing a good game not something that's remembered for a review!

So would you recommend GodHand to somebody who isn't easily upset by control schemes?
Once you get get used to the controls, game controls great so I'd recommend it. Just it doesn't control like most typical action games and you have to adjust to it. It is the most complicated and in-depth brawler game out there. In fact it's my favorite brawler of all time (if only it had coop). Game also has great character designs, some of the best bosses in any action game (especially Devil Hand), and a great sound track...

Also a surprisingly in-depth brawler was Super Double Dragon (i dont know if it got ported or not). Game had blocking, directional inputs, special moves, enemy dizzy states, grabs with ability to change position, and a crazy number of moves at your disposal.

pizzacat has a point. Danny Rand's predecessors to the Iron Fist name were disaffected poor white dudes that fled America and trained with mystical Eastern warriors. Only to become better than any native, defeating the jealous Eastern ex-best warrior.

mbpm1

pizzacat has a point. Danny Rand's predecessors to the Iron Fist name were disaffected poor white dudes that fled America and trained with mystical Eastern warriors. Only to become better than any native, defeating the jealous Eastern ex-best warrior.

were his predecessor's danny's parents or relations tho

JeTmAn81

In the comics previous Iron Fists were not white

Dahbomb

It's almost as if Beef has to assert his opinion about Godhand every time it's brought up.

And Godhand reviews weren't too off base either, it's a mid 70 on aggregate review sites. That's about what I would rate it too, probably closer to an 8. It definitely has flaws but it's overall a good action game.

The IGN review for Godhand was definitely off base though. It's essentially meme status now. Anyone who clings on to that review as some sort of validation for Godhand not being good should rightfully be ignored.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You guys jinxed him.

But he went from potentially getting $4k at the very least to a couple hundred. Something something never underestimate your opponent.

Top Bottom