• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

Sheroking

Gouken's ex crumple is pretty cool. Gonna be lots of cool corner combos with him.

Rufus' Omega stuff is dirty. Being able to command ex snake strike at any point in your jump, using the grounded snake strike instead of H tornado at the end of the bnb divekick combo, because it sucks them in and gives you the hard knockdown with no pushback. They changed close fierce. It still has the exact same functionality and combo potential, but now that st.lk>st.hp link is baby tier easy.

Gonna troll some whiny Rufus haters in player matches with this for sure.

kirblar

The input overlap change for the Anti-Air charge ultras has apparently made DP->FACD->U2 for Decapre much, much easier.

Geniuzz

So, the 1.04 patch is out on PSN, any news about XBL? Steam has no update yet I take from the comments.

nvm. just saw the message on eventhubs

Shito

Alex Valle testing out Omega Mode.
He found a 510 damage combo with dictator, using only one bar.
Those omega mode tournaments will have the advantage of being done quick... ^^

alstein

I think the EX upkick buff is going to be real for DeeJay and fix his biggest weakness outside of damage, and a high damage DeeJay would be top tier.

I hope PC patch is today, I expected it late today- Valve isn't awake yet. If it gets delayed- well 98UM comes out tomorrow so I'll be ok with it.

Having fighting game players in sound proof booths makes zero sense to me, this isn't like an RTS or a Moba or a card game where either player has a different set of information about the game state, it's literally all on one screen. If you don't want the commentators to reveal information to the players, then there's no reason to allow coaching either. If you don't want the players to get distracted, then by all accounts the booths don't help. If it makes players feel more legitimate, they should know that most sound-proof booths at esports events are pretty badly and cheaply built and don't actually provide much sound insulation.

If players insist on having head to head, I can understand, especially for the Japanese players, but booths make no sense and really detract from the viewing experience.

Tizoc

I now regret never getting Ultra on Steam.

Was too busy messing in Xrd but will try to remember to post this week's video haul tonight :V

Dead
tumblr_l89yn8RcQj1qcprhpo1_500.gif

Nabs

I think the EX upkick buff is going to be real for DeeJay and fix his biggest weakness outside of damage, and a high damage DeeJay would be top tier.

I hope PC patch is today, I expected it late today- Valve isn't awake yet. If it gets delayed- well 98UM comes out tomorrow so I'll be ok with it.

Patches don't go through Valve anymore, so it's probably just a matter of Capcom USA or Qloc pushing the button.

Randam

do you guys have some videos of some awesome red focus attacks?
almost forget Ultra has that now, till I saw it once during capcom cup.

is it just me, or has it way more potential, than it is used for right now?

Should low execution characters be able to be high tier or should it only be reserved for high execution characters

Faust. Zato-1. /topic

Eh... That'll be fine but I hope they don't give out too much.

IMO deep payout > top heavy payout. If the money goes to winners of qualifier events, it's all fine IMO.

Unless in some extreme cases... developers don't actually design characters with tiers in mind (like if Ono is making a SFV he is not purposely trying to make Ryu Mid tier). However when they get to patching you bet your candy ass they balance based around execution and level of play that impacts casual and high level. I have seen this down across various genres as well.

If you're the Starcraft 2 dev team you nerf the shit out of the high execution faction because two people in the world will still be able to compete because of raw mechanics of a couple units. Anyone else can apparently go and suck it.

If your base system is robust enough, the speed is right, and there's good moment options, that helps with tiers tremendously. Referencing games like Melee/Guilty Gear; outside Bridgette runaway tactics in the latter, I've never gotten the sense that a matchup was unwinnable.

Bowser vs. Fox/Sheik?

Holy shit why are these both such good fucking ideas. Stop it.
Lagann DLC..... ;^;
645145-TTGL6.jpg

This is better obv:

Shito

Ok, just did some 40 minutes of Omega Mode during lunck break at work...
This... is way, way, WAY more fun than I expected it to be.
We only played Hugo vs Cammy, but just that was enough to convince me that we'll play this mode A LOT here.
So many little things to discover again, and since everything is totally broken no one cares whether he loses or wins.

And they gave Hugo a shoryu.
If backbreaker and U2 was not enough, they had the crazy idea of giving him a SHORYU!
And his s.mp and s.hp are chargeable...
I... think I'm in love.

Kimosabae

Banned
Have patch notes been revealed for Omega yet?

I was really hoping Omega mode would be more than just Capcom interns cobbling together the cutting room floor stuff. I was hoping this would be a new interpretation of a game that's getting stale. I've only bee playing for 5 minutes and this already feels better than the base game, simply because dashes recover faster. What a waste.

Bowser vs. Fox/Sheik?

Yeah, that's bad too, so here's my question: is that matchup better for Bowser in a game like Melee or Brawl?

Shito

I was really hoping Omega mode would be more than just Capcom interns cobbling together the cutting room floor stuff. I was hoping this would be a new interpretation of a game that's getting stale. I've only bee playing for 5 minutes and this already feels better than the base game, simply because dashes recover faster. What a waste.
Have you seen the damage on normal throws? SF2 vibes from that alone...
And it seems to me they toned down the damage reduce or something like that, because my Hugo's life was getting melted by Cammy...

Yeah, that's bad too, so here's my question: is that matchup better for Bowser in a game like Melee or Brawl?

Not a clue. Bowser has always been one of those characters I hate to play, I don't remember any high level Bowser play if I've seen any at all in the first place and I haven't understood how high level Melee works until recently (plus I'm still just a dirty casual in it).

So reference points: 0. No comment on things I'm in no place to understand.

thelastword

Banned
I was most excited for the new trials, already completed hugo's. Gave Omega a try, wish there an omega command list in that mode.

Kimosabae

Banned
Have you seen the damage on normal throws? SF2 vibes from that alone...
And it seems to me they toned down the damage reduce or something like that, because my Hugo's life was getting melted by Cammy...

Going by Viper, damage has increased, I think.

And yeah, the damage from throws makes sense since there's no Hard Knockdown.

Not a clue. Bowser has always been one of those characters I hate to play, I don't remember any high level Bowser play if I've seen any at all in the first place and I haven't understood how high level Melee works until recently (plus I'm still just a dirty casual in it).

So reference points: 0. No comment on things I'm in no place to understand.

Gimpyfish used to do well with the character back in the day, but the level play wasn't where it is now. Bowser's one of the few characters I honestly can admit to knowing little about. Just never took interest in him. IIRC, Melee allowed him to do some nasty stuff to Fox, with Down B/Down Smash, which falls into my point.

I think Ganon is a better example. Fox/Sheik/Falco used to be considered unwindable matchups for that character. Not so much anymore, and some Ganon players even feel the Falco matchup favors them (I think it's bananas). On paper, Falco's Lasers spam win him that matchup hands down, but if the game is open enough, what's on paper doesn't apply nearly as much. Things are less quantifiable.

Haha, that gen infinite is so stupid.
A guy is abusing it here: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Yeah, so that earlier, which is why I made the comment of Omega being a waste. I assumed there had to be some testing but this makes it obvious there wasn't any at all.

Top Bottom