• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

kasane

now i experienced where this pc netcode is shit

so i played this guy with green bar and for the first 10 seconds everything was okay until the lag broke loose

after the match i checked his profile and surprise

HE IS FROM THE SAME FUCKING PROVINCE AS ME

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If it isn't FGW | Dahbodied ..

This is our best title yet, right next to nws suggestion of call security, there's been an injustice

so i played this guy with green bar and for the first 10 seconds everything was okay until the lag broke loose

but yo have you ever heard of lag switches before?

What can be the driving factor and what SHOULD be a driving factor is the developers instilling basic tournament level play into their game somehow. If they can convince people with "hey, having fun? now watch this... you can be THIS good" then the retention rate would be much higher than what we have. People who pick up Street Fighter and drop it they are not lacking attention span, they are not undedicated slobs, if they didn't have an interest in Street Fighter they would not have picked up and played the game in the first place. It's amazing how many people who play Street Fighter and have never heard of EVO. I played GGXX#R for 3 years straight and never even thought that people host tournaments. I didn't know anything about anti-airing, links, chains, roman canceling, okizeme, etc. We live in a world where information travels in a blink of an eye it should be so easy to get the basic high level play knowledge out there. But then again, this isn't the one all be all answer but it's a strong motivator.

nice post, darkblade.

Nice post.

Given that Sticks, converters, splitters, different gaming systems and even monitor's that are rated below 1 frame of lag have some lag that when added up can affect matches, i do hope that Capcom can find a way to make some of the tasks that require 1 to 2 frame timing easier without restricting player options. It would help online play too which i think is important for growing the playerbase.

I think that what fg's need to attract more players is to make the players actually want to compete and to get better by offering more interesting online modes and rewards.
For example besides rank and endless mode there could be events every once in a while (every month or year for example) within the game divided by region (europe, asia for example or perhaps even country specific) and skill level. These events could offer rewards like unique cosmetic items or titles and the top 5 (or top 10 or whatever) of each league could be displeyd within the game and you could also spectate top players or friends within the game.
Besides tournaments there could be other events. In Ygo online there were events where at a set amount of time in a specific time frame the player with most conscutive matches won is the winner of the event. There, players of lower skill levels would have more chances of doing well than in a tournament since they would be randomly paired with someone during the event.
Right now people have no reason to play modes other than ranked and endless and there is a minimal sense of progression and reward. Trying to get to a higher league or to try to do well in an event in your own league and have your name displayed for everyone to see when they start the game could be very compelling.

These are great points/ideas, and also thanks. Honestly if that post got people thinking that's the best thing.

I think DoA5U is a decent example of a game that attempts to keep its players up to date on the latest tournament events; they frequently update their message of the day to mention current events and streams(compared to most other FGs). IIRC Tekken had this big online portal initiative at one point, though I'm not sure how well it did or if it's still around.

I think it'd be great if a given game could have some endorsed websites/forums for learning new material and have links to said sites as part of the main menu somehow. Maybe an internal Twitch player just for streams of that game, or at least a link to said streams if the platform supports it, etc. Biggest problem would be regulating the endorsed online content, since(I'm guessing) the developer would be possibly liable if some kid went through these links and saw people dropping f-bombs on the stream of the day or walked straight into a flamewar when looking for tips on how to play his favorite character, etc.

The crazy thing about accessorizing characters via online participation/online market/F2P market in some way is that you'd think after Dungeon Fighter Online it'd be leapt all over like a no-brainer(at least for 3D games), it's kinda amazing this hasn't really happened yet.

Incentivizing wins and having prestige skill brackets is something I feel Capcom tried to do but didn't quite drive home well enough with SF4, and I expect some impressive stuff making use of the online platform to come with SF5(especially with Sony having their backs).

One thing is that some of this stuff(like organized ranking events and limited titles etc) is already done in JP arcades(AFAIK), but driving participation this way doesn't make it to console--maybe just because the host companies are Japanese and they don't see their native playerbase biting, or because of network platform restrictions for last-gen, or who knows.

I seriously hope some of these ideas are explored more this gen.

smurfx

get some go again
i16yTa2A46e38.gif

happy birthday.

alstein

Probably on wireless. Even GGPO is shit if the other person is on wireless.

That said, I really hope UE4 supports rollback netcode well.

kasane

This is our best title yet, right next to nws suggestion of call security, there's been an injustice

but yo have you ever heard of lag switches before?

nah he wasnt lag switching cause even when we're neutral we both couldnt do anything

the cammy i played on the other hand ( which i beat like 3 times ) started lag switching. It was obvious cause the lag always comes in when hes focusing

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FGW | Last week we got our first look at Riptor!

seems like the most important thing that came out in the past week, right?

Nemo's back gave out. Chris King, the Ryu, and Neurosis (haven't seen him in a while) were all free in both matches. Only Eita helped Nemo out.

Top Bottom