• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

Csr

These are great points/ideas, and also thanks. Honestly if that post got people thinking that's the best thing.

I think DoA5U is a decent example of a game that attempts to keep its players up to date on the latest tournament events; they frequently update their message of the day to mention current events and streams(compared to most other FGs). IIRC Tekken had this big online portal initiative at one point, though I'm not sure how well it did or if it's still around.

I think it'd be great if a given game could have some endorsed websites/forums for learning new material and have links to said sites as part of the main menu somehow. Maybe an internal Twitch player just for streams of that game, or at least a link to said streams if the platform supports it, etc. Biggest problem would be regulating the endorsed online content, since(I'm guessing) the developer would be possibly liable if some kid went through these links and saw people dropping f-bombs on the stream of the day or walked straight into a flamewar when looking for tips on how to play his favorite character, etc.

The crazy thing about accessorizing characters via online participation/online market/F2P market in some way is that you'd think after Dungeon Fighter Online it'd be leapt all over like a no-brainer(at least for 3D games), it's kinda amazing this hasn't really happened yet.

Incentivizing wins and having prestige skill brackets is something I feel Capcom tried to do but didn't quite drive home well enough with SF4, and I expect some impressive stuff making use of the online platform to come with SF5(especially with Sony having their backs).

One thing is that some of this stuff(like organized ranking events and limited titles etc) is already done in JP arcades(AFAIK), but driving participation this way doesn't make it to console--maybe just because the host companies are Japanese and they don't see their native playerbase biting, or because of network platform restrictions for last-gen, or who knows.

I seriously hope some of these ideas are explored more this gen.

I hope so too.

It would be no suprise if those events in the japanese arcades didn't do much to increase the game's popularity, they only have meaning for top level players or people allready investing a lot of time in the game in japanese arcades.
The idea is to simulate the feeling of participation and reward that you would experience in an offline tournament (at least in the case that the online event is a tournament and not a different kind of event) within the game client in your own home and give players of lower skill levels more chances to be rewarded.

Shouta

Re: ogawa at NWM

US player skill isnt high enough but the money was.

The paid ticket helps but I think he's actually just apprehensive about traveling overseas, especially if he has to do it alone. Nemo asked him for me and I think it's likely that he put in a good word for me after NWM VI. Having a host and someone helping them during the event likely is the reason Ogawa decided to come, I think.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
zato-shark.gif

Best news, sad no one guessed it. I gave huge hints lol

NEO0MJ

The paid ticket helps but I think he's actually just apprehensive about traveling overseas, especially if he has to do it alone. Nemo asked him for me and I think it's likely that he put in a good word for me after NWM VI. Having a host and someone helping them during the event likely is the reason Ogawa decided to come, I think.

Shouta the sponsor. Do you get a cut of the player's prize if they win :p

Shouta

Shouta the sponsor. Do you get a cut of the player's prize if they win :p

Nah. The money I use for this I would have used for myself to travel to other events. Since I don't win at those events, I don't expect to get anything in return. Hah.

If I did get a cut, I wouldn't mind but I'm not going to expect it. =P

CurlyW

I was hanging out with the Chicago anime scene after our tournament last night. When they announced Ogawa, all the Chicago Guilty Gear players were "Well, guess I'm going to NWM".

Good shit Shouta.

I was hanging out with the Chicago anime scene after our tournament last night. When they announced Ogawa, all the Chicago Guilty Gear players were "Well, guess I'm going to NWM".

Good shit Shouta.

At this rate Shouta is going to be a high member of all the FGC Illuminati groups

Shouta

At this rate Shouta is going to be a high member of all the FGC Illuminati groups

You mean, I'm not already? Kappa

I do really owe Nemo for this more than anything though. I really hope I can convince Tokido to come as well because it was a blast to have him last year.

smurfx

get some go again
You mean, I'm not already? Kappa

I do really owe Nemo for this more than anything though. I really hope I can convince Tokido to come as well because it was a blast to have him last year.
get mike ross on the phone! hopefully twitch sends some players to this event.

MrDaravon

I dig. IMO, you should just pick who you want to learn. Don't worry about picking a "beginner" character. You can do really well in Smash just with your fundamentals.

Feel free to add my NNID: Karsticles.

If you ever want matches to get some feedback on your play, let me know.

Thanks, I'll add you! Super late response, just woke up a couple of hours ago >_>

Peach isn't too bad, but my comment was more directed in terms of Rosalina/Robin being much more technical characters and not as beginner friendly to someone who is just trying to learn the absolute basics (I didn't even know most of the terminology). I've made it through most of the Ultrachen character stuff, and I've messed around a bit with all of the default characters in training mode just to get a sense of their movement and movesets etc. Character-wise for me right now:

Characters I really like or want to learn/possibly main or use heavily: Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Robin, Fox, Pikachu, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Mega Man

Characters I like and think I could use but probably wouldn't necessarily main: Mario, Luigi, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Ike, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Lucario, Greninja, Ness, Captain Falcon, Pac-Man, Sonic

Characters I don't like and don't planning on really using: Yoshi, Bowser Jr, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Little Mac, Ganondorf, Palutena, Marth, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Villager, Olimar

I tend to not be a big fan of slower characters, or characters with more "awkward" movesets if that makes sense. Most of my friends that I play online with are decent players but don't play super seriously, so they'll usually wind up using most of the cast and just rotate in and out for fun. Now that I'm finally awake and ready to play for the day at 2pm I'm going to spend some time in single-player to work on unlocks, and I think the slower paced AI environment will help me get some of the more basic stuff down. A lot of it for me right now is just character movement, knowing how to get in and things like that. I find myself forgetting to try to do smash attacks and then when I do I'm just totally whiffing etc. I think I also try to go for grabs too often. And since I'm not used to the movement in the game yet still doing a lot of things where I'm attacking the wrong way, or attacking just out of my range because I'm not used to how this kind of game feels yet. I'm still having a surprisingly great time with it though, I played Brawl for like 2 hours the day it came out and never touched it afterwards, so I'm surprised I'm digging this so much.

I will probably hit you up for some matches maybe later this week once I feel like I have some basic controls down and whanot. Are people running straight 1v1 tournament rules most of the time or what?

get mike ross on the phone! hopefully twitch sends some players to this event.

This!

I feel like Ogawa in the US could really bring the hype, and make more people jump into GG. Is Xrd's finals being given a good time slot, Shouta?

Thanks, I'll add you! Super late response, just woke up a couple of hours ago >_>

Peach isn't too bad, but my comment was more directed in terms of Rosalina/Robin being much more technical characters and not as beginner friendly to someone who is just trying to learn the absolute basics (I didn't even know most of the terminology). I've made it through most of the Ultrachen character stuff, and I've messed around a bit with all of the default characters in training mode just to get a sense of their movement and movesets etc. Character-wise for me right now:

Characters I really like or want to learn/possibly main or use heavily: Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Robin, Fox, Pikachu, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Mega Man

Characters I like and think I could use but probably wouldn't necessarily main: Mario, Luigi, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Ike, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Lucario, Greninja, Ness, Captain Falcon, Pac-Man, Sonic

Characters I don't like and don't planning on really using: Yoshi, Bowser Jr, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Little Mac, Ganondorf, Palutena, Marth, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Villager, Olimar

I tend to not be a big fan of slower characters, or characters with more "awkward" movesets if that makes sense. Most of my friends that I play online with are decent players but don't play super seriously, so they'll usually wind up using most of the cast and just rotate in and out for fun. Now that I'm finally awake and ready to play for the day at 2pm I'm going to spend some time in single-player to work on unlocks, and I think the slower paced AI environment will help me get some of the more basic stuff down. A lot of it for me right now is just character movement, knowing how to get in and things like that. I find myself forgetting to try to do smash attacks and then when I do I'm just totally whiffing etc. I think I also try to go for grabs too often. And since I'm not used to the movement in the game yet still doing a lot of things where I'm attacking the wrong way, or attacking just out of my range because I'm not used to how this kind of game feels yet. I'm still having a surprisingly great time with it though, I played Brawl for like 2 hours the day it came out and never touched it afterwards, so I'm surprised I'm digging this so much.

I will probably hit you up for some matches maybe later this week once I feel like I have some basic controls down and whanot. Are people running straight 1v1 tournament rules most of the time or what?

This!

Yeah, 1v1 2-or-3 stock is common.

Fyi, Robin is one of the slowest characters in the game. That might not be to your taste. Shulk and MM are both technical, as is Rosalina. Fox is probably the easiest to play on your list. Everyone else has things they struggle with.

Anyway, hit me up for matches any time, or just ask questions. It is always good to see someone putting the effort in.

NEO0MJ

Nah. The money I use for this I would have used for myself to travel to other events. Since I don't win at those events, I don't expect to get anything in return. Hah.

If I did get a cut, I wouldn't mind but I'm not going to expect it. =P

Heh. Regardless, what you're doing is awesome.

Kimosabae

Banned
If you've had problems with sfv's animation I hope you've watched that video. It's also the most thorough video breakdown out right now afaik

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you've had problems with sfv's animation I hope you've watched that video. It's also the most thorough video breakdown out right now afaik

The fireball upgrade stuff sounds cool, gives me hope for other characters to get some cool stuff. Time for Q to come back!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/v/3625127?t=1h24m52s

this one

and ooh havent seen chris king in a minute but goddamn he got bodied. that was free.

Will watch this later.

now we can see how unskilled america actually is to him.

probably alot...

NWM is one of the tournaments I HIGHLY look forward to for GG.

I just assumed he was a doctor.

FGW | doctors among us

Dahbomb is alive and kicking, he's playing omega mode quite a bit.

Fyi, Robin is one of the slowest characters in the game. That might not be to your taste. Shulk and MM are both technical, as is Rosalina. Fox is probably the easiest to play on your list. Everyone else has things they struggle with.

My brain still lives in Melee land so a statement like "Fox is probably the easiest to play" feels really strange to read :D

Saw a really absurd MTG match (Ross Merriam v. Reid Duke at StarCityGames Players Championship if anyone is interested) that left me so frustrated I just don't have the will to do anything anymore. I want to practice but just don't feel like it.

Still can't decide on a GG character ;_;
Faust is fun, simple and has tools but is probably a smidge too defensive for my instinct to RTSD (even if that instinct is wrong - making instinctive behavior good behavior is a good idea IMO). Zato is just a shitton of work to achieve even basic competence with. Millia/Elphelt might fit, but that needs more work.

.la1n

The fireball upgrade stuff sounds cool, gives me hope for other characters to get some cool stuff. Time for Q to come back!

Q being back would be amazing. I really hope the game take place after SF III. I'm tired of Capcom's weird inbetween and prequel street fighters.

Vesperarcade 1080p60FPS SFV 'Complete' Ryu Breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=498wEX-Wfjw

darkblade what is your occupation? I need a frame of reference for that epic post. I
m also considering making a thread based on it.
Can anyone do a side-by-side of 3S and this? B/c I'm watching this vid right now (great vid btw), and for some reason it's really driving home the point this is like a 3D 3S in terms of visual animation. Ryu's backdash is just like his from 3S, just in 3D. And for people complaining about it looking slow, to me it seems just as fast as 3S.

kirblar

Can anyone do a side-by-side of 3S and this? B/c I'm watching this vid right now (great vid btw), and for some reason it's really driving home the point this is like a 3D 3S in terms of visual animation. Ryu's backdash is just like his from 3S, just in 3D. And for people complaining about it looking slow, to me it seems just as fast as 3S.
Saying that "SF looks slow" basically translates to "I play Anime Games and have good reflexes, why isn't SF an Anime Game?"

Pro Fluke's doing a 24h charity stream and is currently running a USF4 tournament with a bunch of solid players - Ryan and OMH are currently playing.

http://www.twitch.tv/pro_fluke

Also, is it normal that Rolento gets to U1 after his backflip roll versus Poison, Elena and Balrog, or is this new to 1.04?

Top Bottom