• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

Marz

No one fucking walks in Guilty Gear unless their name is Bedman, Potemkin, or Slayer

I understand that but Coffeeling directly mentions walkspeeds, which if you actually play fighting games you'd realize that Marvel, Blazblue, and Guilty Gear walkspeeds are really slow.

In fact I can't even think of a 2d fighting game with better walkspeeds relative to game speed than SFIV to come out in the last 8 years.

Happy holidays guys. Did my Christmas shopping and have a weekend by myself before flying. Was this what bachelor life was like?

I feel like a am overwhelmed by free time. Faust is fun but he is also the only one I played as and have no idea what his get off me moves or good corner pokes.

petghost

Banned
dont know much about KOF but they seemingly have pretty quick walkspeed...not sure how important that is to the game though because it seems like people are mostly running or jumping or backdashing to get around.

Kimosabae

Banned
SF4's walk speed is noticeably faster. Slow walk speed is a staple of anime game design.

Check Marvel.

Yeah, and KOFXIII's walk speeds are godlike.

Vesperarcade 1080p60FPS SFV 'Complete' Ryu Breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=498wEX-Wfjw

darkblade what is your occupation? I need a frame of reference for that epic post. I
m also considering making a thread based on it.

I'm a programmer.

Currently I work FT for Lab Zero Games, although it's still a contract position. I've been doing work for them on and off for the past one and a half years.

My position in that post probably has more to do with me seriously taking aim at making a FG before I started doing work for L0, though. I was part of an indie group of mostly post-grads from the university I attended, though that eventually went south. Currently I want to wait a few more years and get more experience at building and understanding video games before trying again.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
walking in VF is virtually (HAHAHORF) useless

I've heard of shun players using walk to feign drink or something but I only use it for post-round goofin

JeTmAn81

Marvel is definitely not a game where you do much walking. Almost every character has a decent dash, and even if they don't it's often better to just jump forward and air block.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sup guys quick question....

I just watched the NEC tourney broadcasted on Twitch by Team Spooky. Great stuff. Spooky mentioned there were other smaller tourneys going on in the anime room, and said those events were being streamed as well. Said that Vampire Savior was being streamed but he didn't mention the channel. Can anyone please tell me which channel the events/tourneys from the "anime room" was being broadcasted on? I'd love to see some high level Vampire Savior play.

Kimosabae

Banned
It'd be so dope if Capcom had the artistic sense to make the background objects such as tables and chairs, or traffic cones, etc., wobble or even topple over from the shockwave associated with a character initiating instinct. This has to happen.

I'm a programmer.

Currently I work FT for Lab Zero Games, although it's still a contract position. I've been doing work for them on and off for the past one and a half years.

My position in that post probably has more to do with me seriously taking aim at making a FG before I started doing work for L0, though. I was part of an indie group of mostly post-grads from the university I attended, though that eventually went south. Currently I want to wait a few more years and get more experience at building and understanding video games before trying again.

Yeah, I figured you had to be. Only a programmer would break a fighting game's depth down to inputs/actions per frames per second. But that's what true depth/complexity is, in competition and games, right? What are the potential set of possible outcomes in a given time interval?

Analog movement is more complex that digital movement (Smash WiiU vs. Street Fighter IV) while not necessarily being an aspect contributing to a more complex design, overall.

(We really need a fighting game not called Smash that utilizes analog controls, btw).

But yeah, I think that post actually moves the discussion forward a bit. Great stuff.

I don't believe that we're at the point where these players fighting the controls is why they give up. I believe that these players move on because they don't know what they're doing right/wrong and how to get better in a way that doesn't overwhelm them. I do believe that fighting games need to find a way to communicate to an audience with shorter attention spans why sticking with the genre is enjoyable.

Also, this sooooo much. Dumbing down your design isn't the answer. You want to show people the value in investing time and patience (and in some cases, money) to grow within the medium of playing your game. Social factors like money, power, and status, are all motivating factors, which is why highlighting the competitive scene is so important. Committing yourself to something is an emotional sell; ostentatious single player modes and tutorials won't do this.

As has been said before, I expect SFV to find a way to push this forward.

Kumubou

I just watched the NEC tourney broadcasted on Twitch by Team Spooky. Great stuff. Spooky mentioned there were other smaller tourneys going on in the anime room, and said those events were being streamed as well. Said that Vampire Savior was being streamed but he didn't mention the channel. Can anyone please tell me which channel the events/tourneys from the "anime room" was being broadcasted on? I'd love to see some high level Vampire Savior play.
FunkyP broadcast most of the anime games at NEC this year, and there were a bunch. GG(AC and Xrd), BBCP, UNIEL, DBFC, and AH3LM.

It'd be so dope if Capcom had the artistic sense to make the background objects such as tables and chairs, or traffic cones, etc., wobble or even topple over from the shockwave associated with a character initiating instinct. This has to happen.

Kinda like Hugo's 3rd Strike stage?

I don't believe that we're at the point where these players fighting the controls is why they give up. I believe that these players move on because they don't know what they're doing right/wrong and how to get better in a way that doesn't overwhelm them. I do believe that fighting games need to find a way to communicate to an audience with shorter attention spans why sticking with the genre is enjoyable.

If you really want to make execution less of a topic with a fighting game(and I'm not talking about 2f buffers instead of 1f buffers, but on a fundamental level of holding the player's hand compared to a normal FG and really lowering the skill cap), you have to provide the lost stimulation from somewhere else.

Me fighting with the controls in Xrd is exactly the reason why I consider giving up the game multiple times. Even if a person places some value on competition and the fun that can be derived from it, that might not be enough to overcome the time investment demanded by 2d fighting games.

Not to mention that fighting games aren't the only competitive games and that first person shooters and games like DOTA/LOL are rather successful.

EXVS is far simpler and less demanding in terms of execution compared to fighting games. To answer your question where does the depth come from if not overly complex and rigid controls? It's a 4 player game so that instantly leads to more possible complex situations than a constant 1v1.

Just throwing that out there. Clearly I don't value the same things that others in here value, so I can't possibly agree with your opinions. So I am not being intentionally belligerent, proper communication is simply impossible when there is no shared frame of reference.

Difficult when the majority of fighting games have their pedigree in arcades, or are strongly influenced by the ones that do.
There are 3D arcade games you know, but I guess those don't count.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Could be cool if it's affected by the direction of the shockwave, most likely will end up looking cheesy like most fighting games where when you connect an attack some table flips in the background.

Beesuit

They need more crumbling laboratory where everything just goes to shits. None of this weaksauce table flipping and shaking business.

Skab

That isn't too far fetched really. Something sort of similar already happens in SF4. (Anytime theres a hard knockdown that "shakes" the stage, people/animals fall over in the background.)

Alternatively they could do the opposite and cut back on all the bullshit in the background of stages and have some actual class and atmosphere.

NW0mK39.gif
CK3nE4D.gif

mc1SHbe.gif
NAPUn0w.gif

4003cn5.gif
uM4SUXw.gif

297G0Yv.gif
MHWLac7.gif

I want a farm house in the background that, after round one win, it fuckin' explodes and cows and chickens are running all over the place mooing and clucking and shit

how do you contact ono

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alternatively they could do the opposite and cut back on all the bullshit in the background of stages and have some actual class and atmosphere.
"Class", lol

Atmosphere is important, interaction can help that if done right. Above anything we need some creativity in levels; I'm pretty cool if I never see some feudal Japanese architecture or lagoon stages ever again.

"Class", lol

Atmosphere is important, interaction can help that if done right. Above anything we need some creativity in levels; I'm pretty cool if I never see some feudal Japanese architecture or lagoon stages ever again.

Personally I haven't seen any 2d fighting game with stage interaction that didn't come off as gimmicky or distracting when it comes to purely visual things. I really couldn't care less what's going on the background. Especially if it can potentially cause performance issues. I'd rather have elegant and simple stages over exploding pots and awkwardly moving people.

Check out this channel too. Not NEC but there's a lot of high level Vampire Savior on there.

http://www.twitch.tv/rotanibor/profile

Pompadour

"Class", lol

Interactivity in stages would go a long way if the implementation is subtle (like 3S) as opposed to Sagat uppercutting a jet wing so hard it flies off.

Although Haggar bursting out from under a stage and chasing Sodom might be my favorite stage transition ever.

Which ones are you thinking about, exactly

It's not analog movement but don't 3D games like Tekken/DOA/Soulcalibur have more complex movement? EXVS has movement in full 3D more or less and its probably the most important part of the game.

What would be the benefit of analog movement in 2D games? I haven't played smash so I honestly have no idea what the answer to this question is.

Walking in KI feels very fast too. At least with Orchid. Dash block and dash d+3 overshadowed walking in MK9 but with that gone it'll be super good in MKX.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Personally I haven't seen any 2d fighting game with stage interaction that didn't come off as gimmicky or distracting when it comes to purely visual things. I really couldn't care less what's going on the background. Especially if it can potentially cause performance issues. I'd rather have elegant and simple stages over exploding pots and awkwardly moving people.
Interactivity in stages would go a long way if the implementation is subtle (like 3S) as opposed to Sagat uppercutting a jet wing so hard it flies off.

Although Haggar bursting out from under a stage and chasing Sodom might be my favorite stage transition ever.
I agree, mostly.

I think any gimmicky stuff wears off super quickly, especially in fighting games where these places will become your 2nd to 8th homes. Seth's Lab is an incredibly shitty level in that respect. Kill with a jab and the entire stage explodes. I guess that's borderline interactivity, though.

CurlyW

I didn't see VS during NEC. If you're just looking for high level Vampire Savior, here's the Top 8 from Evo 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WPAJJCuOWo

Also here's the Top 8 from UFGTX this year: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlJ7zgDywLTmFerhKy39g_3b9eMyYRS8Q

VS Top 8s from past Evos and VS online tourneys can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/ROTANIBOR/videos

Top Bottom