• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

Pretty much every single time I've heard him talk about the game, it was something negative, even while talking about the graphic he'd complain about supers zoom in during the freeze, the cinematic stuff during some supers and even the zoomed in spinning camera during round ending hits. But yea, it's clear he hate YRC the most.
The way you say it makes it sound like those are bad complaints. Get that jank out of fighting games.

Azure J

The way you say it makes it sound like those are bad complaints. Get that jank out of fighting games.

I actually really like the effect of the end of set camera spin/zoom ins. There are times that the game actively tricks me into thinking it's 2D still and then the end of round happens and you're like "what kind of witchcraft is this?"

Prototype

mike z also hates YRC with a passion from what I heard
Ya, and I read his complaints about it on dustloop.

He just sounds salty it's not the same game, the game he wanted it to be. And went on a flat out rant.

It's pretty sad to hear stuff like this coming from him. He's the skullgirls dude, and those 6 people who play the game will listen to what he says.

Xrd is amazing. It's far better then skullgirls could ever hope to be.

Sayad

That junk is in almost every fighting game since the introduction of supers, pre-super freeze is in Skull Girls and it takes as long as it does in Xrd with some supers, since Xrd is 3D, they can do more with it than just minimum zoom in + special effects, but yea, lets complain about it, that's what matter in fighting games. Oh, and dat end of the round camera effect, ruining fighting games since 1994...

Honestly, he couldn't be more obvious if he wanted to.

He gave pretty lengthy reasons why he didn't like the direction Xrd went in, but if I read these posts it's like you only want people to hear the emotional side of it(which is there, don't get me wrong)over the actual 'why'. Go figure.

Sounds more to me like you guys are just salty that he said bad things about a game you like.

Also for the record, I like Xrd and I think the 3d spin at the end of rounds is p.important.

Ya, and I read his complaints about it on dustloop.

He just sounds salty it's not the same game, the game he wanted it to be. And went on a flat out rant.

It's pretty sad to hear stuff like this coming from him. He's the skullgirls dude, and those 6 people who play the game will listen to what he says.

Xrd is amazing. It's far better then skullgirls could ever hope to be.

Yo damn

Shit just got real

Darkblade nailed it. I'm not even that serious. People will really go to great lengths to defend something and get attached to a scary degree.

Welp, I can't say I'm innocent of this either.
I actually really like the effect of the end of set camera spin/zoom ins. There are times that the game actively tricks me into thinking it's 2D still and then the end of round happens and you're like "what kind of witchcraft is this?"
Yeah, a lot of people probably like the novelty of it.
That junk is in almost every fighting game since the introduction of supers, pre-super freeze is in Skull Girls and it takes as long as it does in Xrd with some supers, since Xrd is 3D, they can do more with it than just minimum zoom in + special effects, but yea, lets complain about it, that's what matter in fighting games. Oh, and dat end of the round camera effect, ruining fighting games since 1994...

Honestly, he couldn't be more obvious if he wanted to.
You couldn't be more obvious if you wanted to.
Yo damn

Shit just got real
A few years from now I think this could apply. I don't see the funding for an SG2 or SG3, but GG will continue to be tweaked and fixed up nicely over continuous updates/sequels. The little train that could can only go so far when the fuel runs out.

Azure J

Yeah, a lot of people probably like the novelty of it.

It's funny too, as someone who really loves the quick and breezy pace of Vampire Saviour because of things like no super freezes, instant round transitions and the like, Xrd has never once really gotten to the point where I think "geez, end these animations already please." I think a part of it is that the attention to detail and character really shines through in a lot of this stuff, but I do also realize that this is the exception and not the rule when it comes to fighting game production values versus practicality.

I could also very easily be stuck in that 5 year old wonderment because "I'm playing a cartoon, holy shit."

It's funny too, as someone who really loves the quick and breezy pace of Vampire Saviour because of things like no super freezes, instant round transitions and the like, Xrd has never once really gotten to the point where I think "geez, end these animations already please." I think a part of it is that the attention to detail and character really shines through in a lot of this stuff, but I do also realize that this is the exception and not the rule when it comes to fighting game production values versus practicality.

I could also very easily be stuck in that 5 year old wonderment because "I'm playing a cartoon, holy shit."
I can do without the pauses, panning and zooming, but it won't ruin a game for me. I don't quite remember my initial reaction to Xrd, but I think I just thought it was really really good 3D. There was no illusion to be broken for me with the spinning and such.

Sayad

He gave pretty lengthy reasons why he didn't like the direction Xrd went in, but if I read these posts it's like you only want people to hear the emotional side of it(which is there, don't get me wrong)over the actual 'why'. Go figure.

Sounds more to me like you guys are just salty that he said bad things about a game you like.

Also for the record, I like Xrd and I think the 3d spin at the end of rounds is p.important.
That might be because there's nothing wrong with reasonable criticism and it's the "emotional" stuff that make it seem like he have some personal issue against the game!

Sayad

I can do without the pauses, panning and zooming, but it won't ruin a game for me. I don't quite remember my initial reaction to Xrd, but I think I just thought it was really really good 3D. There was no illusion to be broken for me with the spinning and such.
My first impression about the spinning we saw from the reveal trailer(during Sol/Ky clash) was that it didn't look very good, but I thought no way that would make it into the final game. It made it in, but only at the end of the round, which I thought was pretty cool since I always like those zoom ins/freeze/slow-mo replays at the end that kinda exaggerate the final hit... The other thing that made it in from the first trailer though is the Dust close-up, which is the only camera trick I hate in Xrd.

Zissou

Mike Z seems really smart and listening to his talks about fighting game mechanics is really interesting, but he seems to automatically hate any fighting game made post-2000.

I like Skullgirls and Xrd, and I think both have some poor design decisions. MikeZ needs to make up his goddamn mind about the combo system, because BlazBlue has fewer senseless system changes than Skulllgirls. Also, supers hitting on frame 1 is moronic, and rewards stupid play.

Xrd has bursts, which I still think are a poor game mechanic. Double tap to dash needs to die a horrible painful death. The game would be so much smoother with two-button dashes.

MikeZ can hate on Xrd all he wants, just like the dozen or so people that stayed behind to play Marvel 2. I don't see why anyone needs to attack his choice when some people still main Street Fighter 2 in this community. My parents still prefer to primarily watch black and white movies. Last I checked, color films are doing just fine, and so are new fighting game releases. Move on.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So....what New Year's Eve events are happening? Anything of note?

Pompadour

Double tap to dash needs to die a horrible painful death. The game would be so much smoother with two-button dashes.

MikeZ can hate on Xrd all he wants, just like the dozen or so people that stayed behind to play Marvel 2. I don't see why anyone needs to attack his choice when some people still main Street Fighter 2 in this community. My parents still prefer to primarily watch black and white movies. Last I checked, color films are doing just fine, and so are new fighting game releases. Move on.

I always wondered why a traditonal 2D fighter didn't implement a jump/dash button (or if they did I'm not aware of it). The wonkiness of KOF hops would be made easier as a down direction + jump would = hop. Dashes and air dashes would just be a direction. Standing 360s and 720s would be easier (not that I'm a fine of those anyway) and an up direction + attack could be use for unique attacks, like overheads.

The only problem I'd see is that if the game has a lot of movement options that one button would be just as difficult as inputting a lot of directions on the joystick consecutively.

As for Mike Z hating Xrd, he's a very smart guy with a perfectionist streak wherein he can't accept design decisions that he thinks are garbage. Although this thought process isn't unique to him as if it doesn't play like [insert specific fighting game here] then it's not worth playing is symptomatic of parts of the FGC in general.

smurfx

get some go again
DUKf9c9.gif

I always wondered why a traditonal 2D fighter didn't implement a jump/dash button (or if they did I'm not aware of it). The wonkiness of KOF hops would be made easier as a down direction + jump would = hop. Dashes and air dashes would just be a direction. Standing 360s and 720s would be easier (not that I'm a fine of those anyway) and an up direction + attack could be use for unique attacks, like overheads.

The only problem I'd see is that if the game has a lot of movement options that one button would be just as difficult as inputting a lot of directions on the joystick consecutively.

The Rumble Fish specifically has a hop that's done by pressing down + Dodge (Dodge is a 5th button, like Dust or Drive or what have you), but the game still handles running with double taps because it's got a bit of bloat in its mechanics, just as you mentioned. If it wasn't such a gimmicky motion (it's almost purely set-up for dodging low attacks), or if Rumble Fish itself were a faster game, it would probably be more useful. The Dodge button itself does a sort of crouching dash.

Top Bottom