• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

The most awkward thing is not knowing whether the person is cool enough with you to give you proper dap or just a pound, and they still fuck up when you initiate, feels bad man

#thuglyfeproblems

Or even worse is when you do the hand shake and they're the one that goes in to finalize it with a pound but you guessed wrong and didn't think they'd go in for the final pound even though they did so now you've unintentionally ignored it but the damage is done, there's no going back and you're officially an asshole.

#ThisHappensWayTooOftenAndIThinkAboutItWayTooMuch

Azure J

Or even worse is when you do the hand shake and they're the one that goes in to finalize it with a pound but you guessed wrong and didn't think they'd go in for the final pound even though they did so now you've unintentionally ignored it but the damage is done, there's no going back and you're officially an asshole.

This is easily one of the best things I've read in a while. :lol

that happens b/w me and a another person a bunch

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Nah, that's on them. You never assume that the closing pound is guaranteed. That's only a thing for certain people
mostly white bro dudes

Nah, that's on them. You never assume that the closing pound is guaranteed. That's only a thing for certain people
mostly white bro dudes

Its kinda their fault, but you never really take them up on it ya know? Its like when someone holds a door open for you, but you're kiiiinda far away so you have to hurry up to the damn door, making awkward eye contact the whole way there to show you understand their kind gesture and are trying to take advantage of it.

or when you tell somebody goodbye, but you both keep walking in the same direction, and I guess, like, not say anything to this person anymore? Just walk in silence until one of you reaches your destination?

#ThingsYouThinkAboutBoredAtWork

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just like with me or John Mayer or gief; you gonna get hugged.
I ate a pound of prime rib so please no hugs right now.
But even with hugs though, what are you supposed to do when tucking in a dap DHCs into a hug but you couldn't anticipate as it happened too fast and so your arm gets caught mushed up against their stomach but their arms get out quick so they get to use both arms to hug but you only get to use one?

#whereisthisgoing

smurfx

get some go again
using the power of imagination, you can just pretend you have it and not play it, which is probably what was gonna happen anyway!
i started doing this with racing games. i don't really like playing them that much but for some reason i always end up buying them. i was going to buy ridge racer 6 because it was on sale but i stopped myself.

mbpm1

But even with hugs though, what are you supposed to do when tucking in a dap DHCs into a hug but you couldn't anticipate as it happened too fast and so your arm gets caught mushed up against their stomach but their arms get out quick so they get to use both arms to hug but you only get to use one?

#whereisthisgoing

X-factor out of it bruh

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This is exactly what FGC-GAF needs. Moar love.

Get over here

iQ3kUUUdVt79m.gif

now they know you are all about video games

comic2-2554.png

I didn't put any money in or support you in any way, but you're welcome <3

stay positive fam

I'd happily pitch in to send you every year. It's an experience I think everyone should have. I should be there next year so hopefully I'll see you there.

That's wonderful. Merry Christmas Q!

I'm definitely up for chipping in again if we do a putQinEVO 2015.
<3

Zissou

People don't bother using it because they rather use the meter for damage. Its like that in every game.

This is not true- in the footage I've seen of Nage/Gazou playing Faust, I've seen a fair amount of DAA usage.

main.jpg

OH MAN NEW RENDER. OH MAN.

IM SO READY.

Zissou's sketchy translation:

Top line: KOF is in the midst of development. Take the history of fighting games into your hands and rewrite it!
Bottom line: We are recruiting new staff heavily now!

vocab

This is not true- in the footage I've seen of Nage/Gazou playing Faust, I've seen a fair amount of DAA usage.

Top line: KOF is in the midst of development. Take the history of fighting games into your hands and rewrite it!

When I say people I mean anyone who isn't good/educated enough. In bbcp and kof, people will sit on that meter and die in the corner.

Zissou

When I say people I mean anyone who isn't good/educated enough. In bbcp and kof, people will sit on that meter and die in the corner.

Ahh- sorry for misreading the intent of your post. I thought you meant "you don't see alpha counters for good reason- it's smarter to save the meter for damage." My bad!

Rhapsody

Banned
Speaking of that, I feel really bad when I tell a friend that they should use a burst or Dead Angle Attack more and I end up baiting it the next time they use it lol.
Then they end up going back to not using it as often.

Zissou

I just genuinely forget "alpha counters" exist in every game that has them except maybe KoF for some reason

In a lot of games, it's for good reason. Like in marvel, unless you have certain specific team constructions, they're mostly worthless (aside from avoiding a character getting chipped to death). GG is the only game where offense/pressure is so good that I have to legit use every defensive option available to me to even have a shot at playing again that round (once I've blocked something).

Speaking of that, I feel really bad when I tell a friend that they should use a burst or Dead Angle Attack more and I end up baiting it the next time they use it lol.
Then they end up going back to not using it as often.

This happens to me in so many different scenarios in fighting games when I'm trying to get friends into it, and by "happens to me" I mean I do that shit too. Kappa

4r5

You guys suck at teaching you are supposed to get hit by a few to encourage use

Joking?

Whatever, posting.

You do NOT want to intentionally take a DAA in this game. They knockdown, and you don't wanna give a knockdown to Zato, Millia, Venom, Bedman, Ram, I-No......

If anything, DA attacks are just that: an attack. For 50% meter, you get a free Baiken gimmick. You all over someone, they itching to do something. Give em a little rope, hopefully they take the bait with something crazy like a VV>RRC. They think you in their shit now, but they just burned all their meter. So now you DAA and put them right back where they started.

But yeah, some characters have really bad DAA's. Like Slayer and Potemkin, who should be BackdashCanceling / PotemkinBustering out of pressure anyways. But Ram has a really awesome DAA, because that's kind of all she has.

They don't let you do this in Xrd, but DAA's use to be like guard cancels in KOF'98. DAA's didn't kill themselves, but you could do combos off them, and the combos could kill.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Joking?

Whatever, posting.

You do NOT want to intentionally take a DAA in this game. They knockdown, and you don't wanna give a knockdown to Zato, Millia, Venom, Bedman, Ram, I-No......

If anything, DA attacks are just that: an attack. For 50% meter, you get a free Baiken gimmick. You all over someone, they itching to do something. Give em a little rope, hopefully they take the bait with something crazy like a VV>RRC. They think you in their shit now, but they just burned all their meter. So now you DAA and put them right back where they started.

But yeah, some characters have really bad DAA's. Like Slayer and Potemkin, who should be BackdashCanceling / PotemkinBustering out of pressure anyways. But Ram has a really awesome DAA, because that's kind of all she has.

They don't let you do this in Xrd, but DAA's use to be like guard cancels in KOF'98. DAA's didn't kill themselves, but you could do combos off them, and the combos could kill.
Context, do you have it?

You guys suck at teaching you are supposed to get hit by a few to encourage use
I really wish the FGC would give a crap more about teaching others.

That ain't no play-to-win mentality. All bout dat life.
Play to win doesn't matter in casuals. In casuals, your attitude should be "play to learn", or "play to teach" so your opponent gets better, thus letting you learn. All of this improves your play, which lets you play to win with greater efficacy when it actually matters.

vocab

Yeah. When I was learning Vampire Savior there was this guy who always took it easy on us noobs, even though he was a real pro.

Lucky you. Played dyne as a noob and got destroyed on repeat. He's a nice guy though so its cool.

NEO0MJ

Prototype-09 can tell when I do since we played so much and I've gone 120% on him before lol

lul

Lucky you. Played dyne as a noob and got destroyed on repeat. He's a nice guy though so its cool.

I don't remember who he was, just that he played Aulbath. He was destroying everyone pretty easily on GGPO but everyone always managed to get his health down. I wouldn't have thought much of it if not for the fact that some of the players who outright destroyed me only managed to reduce the same amount of health from him as me so it became clear that he holds back against us.

Azure J

Best duo on best stage with best colors right here.

I haven't been playing for more than a few hours and so much clicks already. There's a lot that feels immediately right, but at the same time I get the feeling as though I'm going to be a bit of a recluse with this one. I gotta get used to my characters badly. On another note, holy shit this game's tutorial/challenge/mission mode is godlike.

Sayad

Wonder where's the light on Ram's inner thigh coming from...

So, same as the old ad, just with a different image now.

petran79

Banned
lul
I don't remember who he was, just that he played Aulbath. He was destroying everyone pretty easily on GGPO but everyone always managed to get his health down. I wouldn't have thought much of it if not for the fact that some of the players who outright destroyed me only managed to reduce the same amount of health from him as me so it became clear that he holds back against us.

I remember a funny event where he played against a beginner and after he let him win a game, the beginner quit thinking he beat him for good! Yeah, he's a nice guy. Even though I dont devote that much time on the game, I found his advice and point of view helpful for FG in general

He's also decent at 3S and Jojo, though not to the same extent as in VS

I wonder if they gonna go the Xrd route or double down on those "high-res but not high-def" KOF12/13 sprites?

Kimosabae

Banned
I guess most of my family heard about me going to EVO. So they have been nicer to me since they feel like I've been doing something with my life. So basically FGC-GAF sorta fixed my family problem. Lol you guys have no idea how much I love you all.

I'll donate more next year if you promise to not post anything depressing from now till next summer.

Only protons play Guilty Gear.

Rotanibor

Lmao, sounds about right. Describing Dyne's playstyle in one word is "ruthless". I've had to tell him to take it back a notch on new players so so many times. Though that kind of playstyle is what makes him as of strong of player as he is in the first place, so its hard to complain too much.

I really wish the FGC would give a crap more about teaching others.

Not everyone can teach and not everyone can be good students.

Teaching and the other person receiving the information well is not easy and can be quite irritating and not worth the time.

Properly teaching someone is pretty hard, but I giving a few tips here and there and maybe picking an alt character to softball it a bit on them is helpful. I think leaving open a few opportunities for them to get their own gameplay/offense started is a good place to begin with.

Top Bottom