• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 24 - Mar 2 | Play Seriously

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I think I may pick this game up. What's the opinion on Vanessa? I like her playstyle in terms of what I watched on youtube.

Couldn't tell you about how to play her but I know this much:

she has two stances with a unique movelist for each stance, one stance seems to be more heavy hitting while her other has the fastest standing punch in the game (10f i think, someone correct me if this is wrong). with that punch you can basically break people's CH set ups - one frame makes the difference.

because she has two stances she also has more moves than any other character in the game, because unlike someone like lei fei who has X number of moves out of each stance, each of vanessa's stances have like a character's worth of moves out of them.

If you're worried about whether she's good, don't. everyone in the game is good.

read what VFDC says about Vanessa here.

Did he just wake up pressing buttons? Oh man that sucks. I was also thinking of picking up vf but I don't know why I didn't

You should, it's a good game. I like it so much I don't shut up about it
unless i'm doing commentary lolol

Did he just wake up pressing buttons? Oh man that sucks. I was also thinking of picking up vf but I don't know why I didn't

Bolded is the summation of most of my matches against Jacky players, win or lose.
For a 3D fighting game, VF is easy to settle into (once you get a feel for it), and people still play it, so you can still pick it up at some point.

oneida

& yeah he just woke up with it. it didn't even hit me CH, i wasn't pressing buttons, I was just crouching because I thought he would go for a low rising attack. If I blocked that I would've gotten a free launch punish that would've won me the round.

Ugh I'll be digesting that match for months, no joke.

On a lighter note, check out how I start my first round of Top 8. Love dat VF damage

iXY3pMxGwSIyg.gif

Kimosabae

Banned
& yeah he just woke up with it. it didn't even hit me CH, i wasn't pressing buttons, I was just crouching because I thought he would go for a low rising attack. If I blocked that I would've gotten a free launch punish that would've won me the round.

On a lighter note, check out how I start my first round of Top 8. Love dat VF damage

iXY3pMxGwSIyg.gif

dayum

Sayah

Wow. Congrats oneida for top 8.
Another gif that can be shared from the Tekken GF.

jfj6.gif

I still can't believe how many times JFJ got suicide to work on Majin. Just when you thought the round was pretty much over.

alstein

I think I may pick this game up. What's the opinion on Vanessa? I like her playstyle in terms of what I watched on youtube.

Vanessa's a good solid choice. Her downfall is each of her stances has a problem, so you have to mix and match, DS lacks damage, OS lacks good circular options, but each stance has some crazy stuff as well.

Kimosabae

Banned
Vanessa's a good solid choice. Her downfall is each of her stances has a problem, so you have to mix and match, DS lacks damage, OS lacks good circular options, but each stance has some crazy stuff as well.

I hate the fact that she was "feminized", (or"sexualized" or whatever you want to call it) in VF5. I was really attached to her more muscular design because it's simply more realistic for a female fighter with her speed and power to look like that.

Doomshine

I hate the fact that she was "feminized", (or"sexualized" or whatever you want to call it) in VF5. I was really attached to her more muscular design because it's simply more realistic for a female fighter with her speed and power to look like that.

...and you know, that whole skin thing.

Kimosabae

Banned
...and you know, that whole skin thing.

haha yeah, forgot about that. VF4 Vanessa was an impressively progressive design now that I think about it.

I wonder what/who inspired it? Even today that design is out of left field - forget about the Japanese aspect of it.

oneida

You can make her VF4 incarnation - muscles and skin tone and all - in customization, for what that's worth. But yeah her cosmetic changes in 5 are hella lame

haha yeah, forgot about that. VF4 Vanessa was an impressively progressive design now that I think about it.

I wonder what/who inspired it? Even today that design is out of left field - forget about the Japanese aspect of it.

Vanessa probably gets her looks from Grace, a character from Fighting Vipers with a similar build. She made her debut in VF the same year that FV2 came out, which was that series' swan song. And Vale Tudo and Muay Thai were becoming more popular at the time, so she was introduced as the rep for those styles.

I remember how pissed some MMA fans were that she fought like the other characters, and that she couldn't just clobber people into the ground or cause limb damage stun damage. That was around the time that the series lost it's "fighting simulation" luster, I think.

Also, because I was typing this post while the announcement was made at SCR:
lol, ST II X-style character select, nice

casperOne

In case you're not watching the SCR stream or reading the thread, Ultra SF4 will let you select your character from any previous edition from the game:

BhxZzyaCEAMF5PO.png:large

casperOne

this is exactly what SF needed to get my attention again: real man's damage.

Daigo going to reclaim his role as DA GAWD.

Sagat damage, trades to ultra, Super Ryu (tatsu escape for days).

The list goes on and on.

And Eventhubs tier lists now gets thrown out the window.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
New thread will go up a bit after SCR ends.

Vote on thread titles below. Notable things this week:

Snake Eyez' run
Super USF4 Turbo: Not Boring Edition
There was one other thing that slipped my mind

EDIT: I guess I'll count from Busaiku's post down.

New thread will go up a bit after SCR ends.

Vote on thread titles below. Notable things this week:

Snake Eyez' run
Super USF4 Turbo: Not Boring Edition
There was one other thing that slipped my mind

EDIT: I guess I'll count from Busaiku's post down.

maybe one in honor of smedwicks

FGC|Smedwicks beat JWong in the end

JDdelphin

What about something about comebacks? That would reference snake eyez's godly comeback and the return of all the sf char 'kings'

Comebacks and kings?

Eh I dunno

a title that encompasses snake eyez comeback, sf4 all or nothing additions giving '09ers a taste of the past, and the most important thing this week: Shaq Fu 2.

FGW | Nostalgia EDITION: Old Games, Old Players, Old Characters, Old Techniques and Old Tiers

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo, for next week's thread, Kane Blue River is hosting an eight man invitational UMvC3 tournament:

BhxX7duCQAAKsGm.png
Thanks for the heads up. Currently doing some work on other stuff so I won't get a chance to edit this into next week's thread for a day or so at the least though, but I'm glad you brought this to my attention.

Busaiku

I think this is the first time Street Fighter indisputably got more viewers than Marvel.
And Chirs G wasn't even playing.

RIP Marvel.

repost from the other thread...

edit: I'll follow everyone that retweets my tweet, for those that care about followers haha

edit 2: dedicated thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=102952577#post102952577

Top Bottom