• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

KTGarda

Any suggestions for good Youtube channels for matches or training/teaching info? I don't really have time to watch streams outside of the weekend.

JeTmAn81

First person I know that actually likes x-factor the way it is

I love X-Factor. I actually have a hard time thinking of mechanics I hate, including TAC's. I think both X-Factor and TAC's introduce a certain element of randomness to the play in Marvel. Now, too much randomness reduces a fighting game to a flashy equivalent of rock-paper-scissors, but IMO a little bit helps keep things interesting and unpredictable.

I love X-Factor. I actually have a hard time thinking of mechanics I hate, including TAC's. I think both X-Factor and TAC's introduce a certain element of randomness to the play in Marvel. Now, too much randomness reduces a fighting game to a flashy equivalent of rock-paper-scissors, but IMO a little bit helps keep things interesting and unpredictable.
That is what makes them bad, man.

Though X-Factor isn't too bad outside of Vergil. XF3 Wesker is pretty interesting these days.

I guess I'm gonna have to get back on the Puyo grind thanks to GiantBomb

Also started playing Skullgirls again and it looks like Squigly tech evolved since the last time I played? Got a lot of learning ahead of me.

JeTmAn81

That is what makes them bad, man.

Though X-Factor isn't too bad outside of Vergil. XF3 Wesker is pretty interesting these days.

Like I said, I actually like that randomness...to a certain extent.

So, what is the difference between a TAC and a 50/50 mixup? Both require pure guesses/reads to beat. Obviously the rewards for landing a TAC are way out of proportion, but the fundamentals of that process don't seem different from other situations in Marvel and other fighting games where you have to guess.

Horseress

So, what is the difference between a TAC and a 50/50 mixup? Both require pure guesses/reads to beat. Obviously the rewards for landing a TAC are way out of proportion, but the fundamentals of that process don't seem different from other situations in Marvel and other fighting games where you have to guess.

You answered your own question buddy. And that applies for x-factor too

Azure J

Props to Busaiku for knowing TP is the worst Zelda.

It had some of the best dungeon design in the series and the art direction was neat. Midna was also like the best "glorified helper" they've ever come up with, but beyond that TP kinda felt off. Honestly, there's a lot of things that can be critiqued about post Link To The Past Zeldas but that's for another thread.

I thought my XF3 wesker corner gunshot infinite was so hype. Man I hate TACs.

As much as X-Factor is one of the dumbest fucking things in games at times, there's a certain sense of awe you get when you see silly things like this working. I'll never forget when I started developing anchor Dante combos and realizing how completely derpy he could be with XF3 and Devil Trigger.

I would say there is a significant diffrrence between a TAC and other mixups. A TAC is a combo extension with a guessing game built within it. A lot of mixups try to achieve 2 combos which effect things like scaling. The most important detail I say is that a lotof "orthodox" mixups and resets put tge defensive pkayer in a neutral state for a split moment (likewise you are always in hitstun when someone combos into a TAC). This is importantbecause not all mixups are created equally and not all characters have the same options to guess out. You might try to go for a grab reset at the end of a combo with Magneto but you also have to be aware if the other guy had a throw os, since he might dive kick if the throw does not initiate for example. One of the most common mixups are the incoming mixups and various peopke have created mixups for this situation. Like everyone knows Vergil is limited on incoming and so the mixup used against him would be different than a character with flight, you can see fchamp escape a lot of incoming sitations with his movement. There are also a lot of character specific stuff and usually when we see "tech" vids, the in depth ones show examples.

Edit:sorry for typos. On phone at lunch break.

hitsugi

TACs are slightly worse than 50/50 as there are up/down/side variants to that guessing game, not to mention the occasional guessing game as to whether or not they're even going for a TAC or a pause into L / throw, etc.

The risk/reward ratio is as mentioned elsewhere is also heavily skewed.

TAC = pure guess.

50/50 = reactable due to visual cues in most situations. If you don't believe this, just look at all the crazy stuff the 3 gods block in any given match. Most people can't handle it, but it can be done. I have had moments of Zen-like insight where my hands become possessed and I am like a wall. Nothing like that exists for TACs. No visual trickery or intelligence, just a guess.

Unless you use Beef and GB's secret tech.

Plus it just makes getting hit by long and boring combos even worse.

It had some of the best dungeon design in the series and the art direction was neat. Midna was also like the best "glorified helper" they've ever come up with, but beyond that TP kinda felt off. Honestly, there's a lot of things that can be critiqued about post Link To The Past Zeldas but that's for another thread.

As much as X-Factor is one of the dumbest fucking things in games at times, there's a certain sense of awe you get when you see silly things like this working. I'll never forget when I started developing anchor Dante combos and realizing how completely derpy he could be with XF3 and Devil Trigger.
The second half had good dungeons, but I literally fell asleep in the first half. That slow plodding fire dungeon...

Agreed on Midna being great, but she was the only good in the game.

Nyoro SF

The difference between a TAC and a high/low/throw mixup

TAC -> You only have one option to "get out"
Mixup -> You have multiple options at your disposal to "get out", whether it's an invincible reversal, blocking properly, jumping, backdashing, teching, etc.

That's why TACs are brainless stupidity that should have never been allowed to exist in their current state. Doing it the way TvC does with tags would've been way more interesting.

It's unfortunate that before MvC3 was released that people bitched and moaned about the game being like TvC, because in the end that would have been better for the game period... Say what you will about TvC but its version of comeback by burning red health was way cooler than any X-Factor nonsense that favors only a small bunch of anchor characters.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Souls definitely count as an RPG. Defining features for me are character leveling, allocation of stats, and distinguished classes, which is absolutely huge in Souls' games. Your specific capabilities are determined by your specific builds, which are diverse and meaningfully differentiated.

Zelda's not an RPG.

My sunbro! Praise it with me!

"Of course a normal comeback is hype but there is just something special when you see an impossible win turn into a possible one."

The fuck am I reading

XP7FKV3.gif

Yams has trolled you all and you all took the bait.

What have I done?! I should have never talked about RPG's...

FGW | RPG-Based Games

In the interests of remaining on topic did the matches from that PPV stream tournament from a while ago ever get uploaded?

I wanted to see the El Fuerte that everyone was getting hype over.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just took a look at OP, and I just realized that there is no fighting game that I'm looking forward to play this year. I'm not huge fan on Mortal Kombat franchise but I'm going to give it a shot. (for many time)

Well, I'm still waiting for Beowulf DLC for Skullgirls. I guess that's it for now.

Don't visit GAF then because it will drive you insane.

You got it right. That's what happened to your member status. :p

JeTmAn81

I know there are mitigating factors for both, but I still don't find there to be much difference between a TAC and the kind of mixup Wolverine can put you in when he's got you locked down in the corner (low/high/throw/crossup). There are cues and clues which you can use to make reads for either one. If the rewards for TAC's weren't so out of whack, I don't think I'd have a problem with them. As it is, they play an important part of maintaining Marvel 3's identity as a team game as well as helping balance Phoenix.

Just took a look at OP, and I just realized that there is no fighting game that I'm looking forward to play this year. I'm not huge fan on Mortal Kombat franchise but I'm going to give it a shot. (for many time)

Well, I'm still waiting for Beowulf DLC for Skullgirls. I guess that's it for now.

You got it right. That's what happened to your member status. :p

Mewtwo's coming out this year...at least there's that?

In the interests of remaining on topic did the matches from that PPV stream tournament from a while ago ever get uploaded?

I wanted to see the El Fuerte that everyone was getting hype over.

Holy Order linked to some random guy who uploaded the matches. But if you can, try to support Capcom's official channel. They've also uploading the matches. Unfortunately they're not done yet so I guess look else where or just stick with what Holy Order posted.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CapcomFightersTV/videos

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
X-Factor is shit. TACs are shit too, but they help me win so I like them.

shoutouts to gaffers not knowing how to stop team kusuro huehuehue

TAC's are horrible and X-Factor could use a little balancing but Viewtiful Joe is a tough matchup, dude has one of the smallest hurtboxes in the game and has a ridiculous amount of health!

We just got Smash and Xrd. I am happy with my fighting games for at least a year. Plus, P4A may make Elizabeth viable.

T7 is coming, MKX is coming, another BlazBlue version is coming, and who knows when SFV will drop. KI and SG are getting more DLC.

If you aren't happy with fighting game releases right now, I really don't know what you want. Except for more Marvel. :p

I know there are mitigating factors for both, but I still don't find there to be much difference between a TAC and the kind of mixup Wolverine can put you in when he's got you locked down in the corner (low/high/throw/crossup). There are cues and clues which you can use to make reads for either one. If the rewards for TAC's weren't so out of whack, I don't think I'd have a problem with them. As it is, they play an important part of maintaining Marvel 3's identity as a team game as well as helping balance Phoenix.

They neuter Phoenix, they don't balance her. Every Phoenix player has replaced her with Vergil for a reason. Well, except for when FChamo wants to disrespect someone.

You can react to Wolverine's mixups. Again, just look at the 3 gods.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Oh boy. I'm ashamed that I forget to mention Mewtwo. Yeah, I'm still waiting for release date announcement.

We just got Smash and Xrd. I am happy with my fighting games for at least a year. Plus, P4A may make Elizabeth viable.

T7 is coming, MKX is coming, another BlazBlue version is coming, and who knows when SFV will drop. KI and SG are getting more DLC.

If you aren't happy with fighting game releases right now, I really don't know what you want. Except for more Marvel. :p

MvC4 would be so amazing but we have zilch chance to see it happens for next 5 years.

I really need to pick up Xrd soon. I really like what I'm seeing in the gameplay. Other games, I'm not hundred percent sure yet.

Last time I heard about SFV rumor is that it's slated for 2016. I'm looking forward for those announcements.

Edited: for people who were bitching about two Smash in EVO. Here is an obvious prediction, we are going to have two street fighter in EVO 2016.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Of course a normal comeback is hype but there is just something special when you see an impossible win turn into a possible one."

The fuck am I reading
The reason why most people dry hump their monitors when Justin Wong makes a comeback?

It's always inconsistent with X-Factor. When it's a player/team they don't like, fuck that mechanic. When Wong or someone does it, OMGG JUSTIN WONGGGGGG, but otherwise fuck that mechanic look how much it swayed the momentum, when in both situations both X-Factor and decision making are explicitly linked to the outcome. I don't know if a mechanic has ever caused so much cognitive dissonance.

The mechanic is fine for MvC3, given it's defensive utilities.

onionfrog

I picked up Xrd at launch.
And I haven't even played it yet

I blame my brother for introducing me to Monster Hunter a few weeks before christmas and getting me stuck in that MH3U vortex!

I fell like enzo now, not actually playing any fighting games.

JeTmAn81

X-Factor is shit. TACs are shit too, but they help me win so I like them.

shoutouts to gaffers not knowing how to stop team kusuro huehuehue

I haven't played you in quite a while, but assuming you spam Joe's divekick like most Joes do, have you ever run into anyone who snaps in your Rocket when you do that? It's been an effective strategy for me.

I picked up Xrd at launch.
And I haven't even played it yet

I blame my brother for introducing me to Monster Hunter a few weeks before christmas and getting me stuck in that MH3U vortex!
MH3U is a fantastic game. All is forgiven!

It really blows my mind that the Souls games are so beloved while MH is ignored in the west. MH is just better Souls combat with more variety and a focus on bosses over dungeons.

Busaiku

Enthusiast press/forum people don't care as much since they're not on consoles.
The games still do relatively well in the US, the 3DS game sold 240k (physical only) a year ago, with no online.

I fell like enzo now, not actually playing any fighting games.

MH3U is a fantastic game. All is forgiven!

I'm super hyped for MH4. I am not sure how long it will take to get used to the 3DS controls though. I am going to have to get FGW peoples FC that are into Monster Hunting.

edit: lol Q answering my question. I played MH on the PSP & Vita well enough but never used the 3DS MH.
Karst, I have the Wii-u version of MH3 but I don't think MH4 will be coming out for the Wii-U(or am I wrong?).

Enthusiast press/forum people don't care as much since they're not on consoles.
The games still do relatively well in the US, the 3DS game sold 240k (physical only) a year ago, with no online.
Ah, so we need a PS4 title...

I'm super hyped for MH4. I am not sure how long it will take to get used to the 3DS controls though. I am going to have to get FGW peoples FC that are into Monster Hunting.
I need a Wii U version. -:(

Top Bottom