• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

How do you guys think a Free2Play fighting game should work?

The same way LoL works, which Xuan Dou Zhi Wang already does.

Speaking of XDZW:

1813729775b1f3acd9d32abde478474cafd99a93.jpg

18137311e2d9bc7932e07d72222c6c78cbbec19f.jpg

Tekken Revolution's business model is shit.

It's basically arcades all over again.

At least with LoL/XDZW, you can play the game as much as you want, even if it's only with the current free rotation of characters. Tekken Revolution locks you out of the game and makes you pay or wait to play more.

Kumubou

Microsoft and Sony are fulling embracing F2P models, and both have titles in development that will allow microtransactions of the sort, to my knowledge MS already has F2P games out that are pretty generous with what they give you for free as well. This is the time when this is no longer an issue and the DotA 2 model is possible. You don't need a carbon copy of Steam to get the job done, as LoL got pretty far with the same sort of transactions, and kids are still flocking to buy RIOT spacebucks or whatever.
I get the feeling that the platform holders -- especially Microsoft -- are being overly protective of retail games (and retailers in general). They've talked about how they're going to allow for different models... but why not allow that now? (To be fair, Sony has made a number of policy changes over the last couple of years). If Microsoft is really that gung-ho about F2P games, why can't games like Tekken Revolution or DoA5U: Core Fighters be releases on XBL?

The cultural shift is already happening. Capcom already has F2P games on the market, as does every other big publisher. F2P isn't something new, it's been here for longer than we like to think. And with the way Capcom is moving now, they could use smaller projects during this console transition before they have an install base to justify RE7 which might not recoup the costs in time for their fiscal year end.
Capcom makes plenty of F2P games -- but name one that's actually worth playing? Every major publisher has been creating dopamine-fuled throwaway cashgrabs, but how many Japanese publishers have created a F2P game with real meat on it and a plan with long-term support? The only one that really comes to mind is Sega with PSO2 (and even then they can't get the game released outside of Japan because lol Sega).

You would think a company like Capcom would have some advantage here -- the F2P model is similar to how arcades operate. Namco is trying something similar with Tekken Revolution (a little too similar IMO; the coin system sucks). However, I doubt Namco is in it for the long haul as Namco is killing their servers for TTT2 less than a year after release. Which means to me that they are either unwilling to support an online community once it's stopped being profitable (and this is a game that moved what, two million units?) and/or the servers and services needed can't scale down well enough (which I could see being a problem on the X360 side, due to the additional requirements -- and incurred costs -- for servers that connect to XBL).

And I disagree that it would go over as well as BoF6. People are mad at BoF6 for the platforms first and foremost, and they wouldn't throw one of their top franchises to the wind like SF5 on some of that shit. Look at how they've even handled SFxTK and SFIV on iOS. TBQH, it's pretty respectable and they've provided a decent amount of content for the particular platform. So even if they take an approach where they bring something like SFV (or whatever their next SF move forward is) to multiple platforms including mobile ones, I don't think they'll skimp out and degrade the core console experience, or they wouldn't bother with one at all.
I made the BoF6 because while I don't think they would make an absolute stinker with the new SF, the fanbase for that game is much more passionate -- and bigger. I think a stripped down release of SF5 (8 characters and barebones SP/MP modes) as a F2P game with promises of more content down the road would cause the Internet to explode in fury.

Look at how they handled SFxT? They handled that game horribly. It felt like they couldn't figure out how exactly they wanted to handle that game on the business side, so it ended up being a complete mess.

I get the feeling that the platform holders -- especially Microsoft -- are being overly protective of retail games (and retailers in general).

I disagree. If Microsoft had gone through with their original plans they would have just about killed off retail. Because the console was always online, they also had a perfect platform for F2P games (the real reason I believe they were going down that path. Heck, we all know where Mattrick ended up)

What you are missing is that games take years to conceive and make. Last year's trend is next year's reality especially for Japanese developers. You can bet right now they are copying what is working and there are viable models. In a year or two? You'll see a lot more big name F2P games.

The more interesting question for me is, should SF5 be an arcade release?

SUPARSTARX

F2P Street Fighter could work.

I'd love it to take the same LoL/XDZW model. But rotate characters in a longer cycle. Like 2-3 weeks. It takes more time in general to break down characters. I think in XDZW the rotation is around there too. You can rent characters for 30 days at a time.

They can put in so many characters if they wanted.

Charge for characters, costumes and maybe the color palette packs from SFxT can work here since the game is free at a baseline.

The more interesting question for me is, should SF5 be an arcade release?
Of course there should. But I think it is kind of a weird thing to have it full in one region and the other can optionally be free but limited in addition to a retail release. It would be interesting to see how it can pan out financially for them.

El Sloth

Banned
So, ToatalBiscuit talked about the new collusion rule on his latest Content Patch episode.

Cliff notes version:
- Says he's all for it and glad to see it finally happen
- Praises the variety of games in the genre that manage to attract sizable scenes and viewers
- Talks about how tournament structure may inadverdently encourage players to be less competetive in certain situations
- "You should never know who you're going to end up facing in the next round if you have the option to dodge them"
- Gives some examples of alternative tournament structures
- Hopes the scene continues to grow because how fun it is to watch

vocab

It blows my mind that Capcom doesn't just release costumes on a monthly basis to generate additional revenue. Hell, just do what valve does. Let the community do the skins, let the community vote the best ones, sell it, and take a cut of the profits. You seriously don't have to lift a fucking finger to make money with that model.

I just don't see capcom succeeding with a f2p fighter on their first try. It's gotta be really good, and it's gotta have an amazing online experience with tons of features.

Dahbomb

It blows my mind that Capcom doesn't just release costumes on a monthly basis to generate additional revenue. Hell, just do what valve does. Let the community do the skins, let the community vote the best ones, sell it, and take a cut of the profits. You seriously don't have to lift a fucking finger to make money with that model.

I just don't see capcom succeeding with a f2p fighter on their first try. It's gotta be really good, and it's gotta have an amazing online experience with tons of features.
*Capcom
*Smart decision making

You can only pick one.

90% of the people playing the game probably wouldn't buy costumes though.

Dahbomb

That doesn't matter because that 10% is enough to recoup costs of the game and then some. There are some players/fans/gamers who basically buy everything that is put out for a game ie. micro transactions. There is even a phrase for these type of people.

I mean how do you think F2P succeeds? Not everyone playing those games puts down real money on them, only a select few do and those that do put down a lot.

Capcom has dipped their toes in F2P model with MH and it's fucking shit. It's pure pay to win. They don't really know the difference between good F2P and bad F2P... just like they don't understand the difference between GOOD Western games that sell and bad Western games that just piss your fanbase off even more.

Kumubou

It's funny to hear him talk about formats to use to minimize collusion and pointless matches like... double elimination! Is he not aware that pretty much every FG tournament in the US is double elimination?

I think one thing you could do is make the brackets "blind", in that the pairings are shuffled after every round. So you would not know who you're playing until after all of the games in that round are played, but this only solves issues of people throwing games to manipulate the bracket, not colluding in the finals. Furthermore, this can lead to other issues (seeding could go haywire, and it makes it a lot easier for the TO to manipulate the bracket -- although this happens, too). It's a solution without a problem, really.

vocab

Look man, people bought fucking horse armor. They will buy costumes for their character in a fighting game. They want something new. That's why people buy new shit.

Like dahbomb said, there's some people out there that will seriously buy everything. Compulsive collectors are money makers, and is why f2p has made some companies bankrolls increase to insane levels.

all capcom needs to do is make a system that gives players an incentive to buy their shit, and they are set.

Dahbomb

KI's model on paper is the only one that makes sense right now.

I say on paper because I don't really know how many characters they plan to have day 1 and how many they plan to milk as DLC. But the idea is simple and effective:

*Demo is free, essentially the F2P version and you can buy as many characters as you want. Although the demo should have more than a couple of characters.
*Full version available for $60

Now if they just have 12 characters that's $5 a character which is crazy... that actually makes the $60 version sort of a bad deal. I don't know how many characters they have planned for day 1 KI but there don't seem to be a whole lot of them.

So, ToatalBiscuit talked about the new collusion rule on his latest Content Patch episode.

Cliff notes version:
- Says he's all for it and glad to see it finally happen
- Praises the variety of games in the genre that manage to attract sizable scenes and viewers
- Talks about how tournament structure may inadverdently encourage players to be less competetive in certain situations
- "You should never know who you're going to end up facing in the next round if you have the option to dodge them"
- Gives some examples of alternative tournament structures
- Hopes the scene continues to grow because how fun it is to watch

what does TB know about the fgc lol

Top Bottom