• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 1-7 | QAisTopTier

I will admit my reasons for character selection are pretty picky so in some cases I just can't find a character orz. Xrd is one of those games atm.

You're not the only one. I know a lot of people who had a lot of difficulty finding a main in Xrd, and some just gave up on it because none of the characters were for them. Even me who is usually quick to find a main, took a few weeks before I discovered Millia.

In the case of GiantBomb they have quite a few of their guys that are, on average, slightly more in tune with fighting games than other journalists. They'll also do a video feature on pretty much any fighting game release that comes out big or small, whereas other outlets would probably skip Xrd or Divekick altogether.

That's mainly because of Jeff and his love for retro games. I guess fighting game didn't change enough over time so he still likes whatever he did about them back then.

Jeff and Jason especially. That's why its always them two for fighting game quick looks. I don't think I've even seen VG outlets talk about KoF or Guilty Gear (other than its artstyle) other than Giant Bomb, but its not like I follow many sites anyway.

NEO0MJ

I really like the idea of the character to be honest but was disappointed by the look they gave him. Way too much useless details (like why give an english Crown to th head of the bed? Spikes ? Giant purple arrow on the air?) Ishiwatari said in an interview that he was sketching and that it came to him and that's probably why the character is the more original among the other new characters.

I really like the character, but I agree that they could have cut some stuff from his design.

For those 2 interested

Next up on TCW KI Top 8 http://www.twitch.tv/digitalprosports

I know is not anime but, what the hell.

Wish I could watch, but the stream cuts too often for me.

CurlyW

kotaku (?) did have that bit about KOF's character designs being offensive

I feel like they weren't really trying with that one

My fiancée found a certain aspect of Mai's design in KoF13 to be disgusting.

She's not a huge fan of fighting games outside of MK9, though. But I don't find her position to be unreasonable.

Tizoc

My friend has an XBone.
I really should pester him to get KI since It's THE game I wanna play on that system XO

Nyoro SF

She's not a huge fan of fighting games outside of MK9, though. But I don't find her position to be unreasonable.

I'm curious about what is more disgusting about Mai than anything that could appear in MK9 though.

yea... it's... obvious...

they totally messed up her forehead.

What about her stance? :p In the older entries Mai just stood straight and let her... personality win people over. 13's bent over mode is ridiculous, even moreso because it's not just her idle stance but carries over into actual attacks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really like the idea of the character to be honest but was disappointed by the look they gave him. Way too much useless details (like why give an english Crown to th head of the bed? Spikes ? Giant purple arrow on the air?) Ishiwatari said in an interview that he was sketching and that it came to him and that's probably why the character is the more original among the other new characters.
I think overdesigning is kind of a trope/cliche in anime itself.

My friend has an XBone.
I really should pester him to get KI since It's THE game I wanna play on that system XO
This is me and Splatoon.

So ends Skullgirls' free period. It was a fun 6 days full of some interesting players who must have come out of the woodwork just to feast on newbies. I feel bad for the new guys, but they just didn't stop running into projectiles. I swear, even the dodo bird must have had more of a survival instinct.

Hopefully the ones with promise continue to buy the game, play the tutorial and improve. The midweek madness 80% off sale still has 19 hours to go for anyone still undecided.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166786095]Apparently Kuroda taught Ogawa how to play Eddie lol

Kuroda da gawd[/QUOTE]
So, I guess even the Gods have creators.

fader

What about her stance? :p In the older entries Mai just stood straight and let her... personality win people over. 13's bent over mode is ridiculous, even moreso because it's not just her idle stance but carries over into actual attacks.

"Me Bouncy!"

Mai_KoFXIII_3_thumb.gif

Mai is tame compared to any female character in Mortal Kombat 9.

disagree... disagree HEAVILY

EDIT: then I remembered Jade's "pole dance"...

Kimosabae

Banned
I feel its a bit disingenuous to say "this character is cute and/or has a happy disposition - she most be otaku bait!". Granted we still don't know that much about Jack-O but that feels a bit reductionist.

It's to the point where I don't think you can even create an anime-style character that isn't "pandering" or fetishized to some people. Not to say the cynicism hasn't been earned, but I find the whole "fuck anime" strain tired as fuck, honestly. Even as a running gag.

I should have learned better from SF4 to go PC instead of waiting for the ps4 version, but I didn't so I'm waiting for the ps4 version. Fortunately, LZ is handling the port themselves.

BadWolf

I really like Mai's sprite and animation in XIII, mainly because of how swift and quick she feels.

The way she moves coupled with the thing she holds behind her back (kind of like a tail) gives the impression of a fox, which goes really well with her female ninja character type.

jerry1594

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166786095]Apparently Kuroda taught Ogawa how to play Eddie lol

Kuroda da gawd[/QUOTE]
He had some combo in GGX named after him since he discovered it and some other guy stole it and won SBO with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's to the point where I don't think you can even create an anime-style character that isn't "pandering" or fetishized to some people. Not to say the cynicism hasn't been earned, but I find the whole "fuck anime" strain tired as fuck, honestly. Even as a running gag.
Agreed.

Let's hope at E3 we get a new racing game with a truck drifting in it's trailer that we can shop a renewed "FUCK ANIME" slogan onto the side of. I'm sure this will breathe life into the movement.

It's a cliche in a lot of things beyond anime. I bet we could find a thousand different examples in comics too.
I'm sure you can find it everywhere but I don't think anyone takes it as far as it can go in anime, really. Kind of ties into the power escalation stuff you see where villains just get progressively more x-treme. A lot of it is more from the culture/fan stuff as opposed to the material itself though.

So Skullgirls is super cheap on Steam, so I picked it up. Are the all DLC characters worth getting?
Squigly can make her own corners anywhere on the stage (even as an assist), Big Band is 3S Q mixed with Juggernaut (and some of the best assists in the game), Eliza is one of the best characters in the game (a mix of Jedah, Anakaris and a splash of hsien-ko), Beowulf is hype incarnate (Jon Talbain+Wrestling grapples and he literally tosses you in the trash) and Robo Fortune is nothing at all like Fortune thanks to beam supers, a timebomb (she literally goes full Voltorb lol) super and a ton of beam assists that really add a MvC2 flavor that SG was lacking.

The fact you can get all this for less than the price of a ASW DLC character is insane.

BadWolf

Big boobs are whatever. It's the bent-over fighting stance and the "swaying" that she found offensive.

All part of the female ninja's arsenal:

Shinobi training for both genders focused on utilizing the ninja’s personal strengths to best advantage. In medieval Japan, where women were often prized for beauty rather than skill, a kunoichi’s beauty was one of her most valuable—and deadly—weapons.

But that doesn’t mean the female ninja depended exclusively on her looks. In combat, kunoichi were just as deadly, and as well-trained, as any other shinobi.

Anne

Let's not go down the defending fan service route and just admit it's fan service for the people who want it.

There is absolutely no shame in that tbh.

Squigly can make her own corners anywhere on the stage (even as an assist), Big Band is 3S Q mixed with Juggernaut (and some of the best assists in the game), Eliza is one of the best characters in the game (a mix of Jedah, Anakaris and a splash of hsien-ko), Beowulf is hype incarnate (Jon Talbain+Wrestling grapples and he literally tosses you in the trash) and Robo Fortune is nothing at all like Fortune thanks to beam supers, a timebomb super and a ton of beam assists that really add a MvC2 flavor that SG was lacking.

The fact you can get all this for less than the price of a ASW DLC character is insane.

Thanks for this, I appreciate it... but I'm afraid most of that went right over my head, haha.

Korigama

yea... it's... obvious...

they totally messed up her forehead.
They definitely did. But then, they messed up pretty much every female in XIII in some way except for Kula, who was the only one who not only turned out well, but better than her old rendition (I expected her to turn out as poorly in the same way as Athena and Yuri did specifically, but then it turned out that her original designer was still at the company and Nona had nothing to do with overhauling anyone on the K' team anyway).

Sayad

It's to the point where I don't think you can even create an anime-style character that isn't "pandering" or fetishized to some people.
And if you somehow managed to do it, it will be turned into a new troop and be some group of people fetish. There's no escaping that fate.

vocab

Mai in kof13 feels unfinished. She barely has any win quotes and the one she has is that one liner thats obnoxious. I guess thats what the fans want, a sex doll with no soul.

Yeah, mai's stance in 13 is ridiculous and I've always hated athena's design, but the laziness of the article struck me more than the actual points being raised.

I don't really care for the gamergate ethics shenanigans, because at some point gaming gets exactly the sort of journalism it deserves. If just shoveling garbage and press releases onto a front page all day earns the most ad revenue I can't really hate, I'm sure whoever wrote that KOF piece wrote 3 other pieces the same day.

But yeah, I don't really begrudge any of the major gaming sites to cover fighting games, since it's a really niche genre and probably not something most of their readers care about. If I were a journalist and I needed to put 5 articles on the front page every week I don't think I could justify spending more than the minimum amount of time playing fighting games, or any other genre that requires a huge time commitment (MMOs, RTS, Moba, etc).

One thing I feel like they could do better is to do on-site coverage of local majors/EVO, it feels like an easy enough project to go there for a day and take some pictures for coverage, and it's probably still somewhat interesting to people who don't play fighting games. It's a bit sad to hear Jeff Gerstmann talk every year about wanting to go to EVO but always end up being too burnt out from E3 to bother.

Being beautiful isn't the same thing as acting like you've got the mother of all backaches lol.

You need MvC2 and VSav in your life.

I've got MvC2, but I havent really played since Dreamcast (I didnt play the rerelease on 360 much at all), and even when I did play it, I pretty much stuck to the same 3 characters :p

Now I just play KI casually, haha.

alstein

That's mainly because of Jeff and his love for retro games. I guess fighting game didn't change enough over time so he still likes whatever he did about them back then.

The founder of Giant Bomb, Greg Kasavin was a regular on the old Neo-Geo Mailing List and talked about KOF and Samsho a lot back in the mid-90s

Mai in kof13 feels unfinished. She barely has any win quotes and the one she has is that one liner thats obnoxious. I guess thats what the fans want, a sex doll with no soul.

To me KOF13 in general felt gimped and unfinished. Too many missing moves and incomplete normal sets. It really made some chars feel lacking (others weren't impacted as much)

- my favorite chars really felt gimped

Korigama

No one chanting, "No Mai, no buy" were doing so because they actually wanted to play as her in the first place.
To me KOF13 in general felt gimped and unfinished. Too many missing moves and incomplete normal sets. It really made some chars feel lacking (others weren't impacted as much)
It was. Its balance also left much to be desired, leading to the game eventually devolving into finding out who the best Mr. Karate player was, with even UMvC3 having more character variety in high-level play.

Yeah.

If you want to make it interesting just replace every instance of "otaku" with "illuminati" or something similarly silly.

Makes it bearable to read at least.

BadWolf

Being beautiful isn't the same thing as acting like you've got the mother of all backaches lol.

It's really not that much different from her old sprites:

1ZQ7q6G.gif

DVYL9BB.gif

And her various movements have her low to the ground in XIII, that's just the kind of movement style they went with. Even her run is low to the ground:

53S4MQM.gif

Think it's a great sprite personally but the haters are in luck I guess since XIV is supposedly ditching the 2D sprites.

KOF13 w/Frionel, Misterio and others: www.twitch.tv/frionel26

Thanks.

I really like Mai's sprite and animation in XIII, mainly because of how swift and quick she feels.

The way she moves coupled with the thing she holds behind her back (kind of like a tail) gives the impression of a fox, which goes really well with her female ninja character type.

Agreed. If only she would stand straight.

It was. Its balance also left much to be desired, leading to the game eventually devolving into finding out who the best Mr. Karate player was, with even UMvC3 having more character variety in high-level play.

Uh, what? That statement is so untrue it hurts. Besides which you see more Kim than Karate. The tiers in 13 are very compressed, and for example Misterio's team (King/Saiki/Yuri) is almost as good as the consensus tier whore team (EX Iori / Karate / Kim, and even that has completely valid variations with Benimaru and Chin instead). We can then go on to Duo Lon, EX Kyo and who knows what else.

That you see a lot of IKK doesn't mean it's Marvel. I'll stop now before I get too worked up and say something mean.

It's really not that much different from her old sprites:

1ZQ7q6G.gif

DVYL9BB.gif

And her various movements have her low to the ground in XIII, that's just the kind of movement style they went with. Even her run is low to the ground:

53S4MQM.gif

Think it's a great sprite personally but the haters are in luck I guess since XIV is supposedly ditching the 2D sprites.

DVYL9BB.gif
mai-kof13-stance.gif

this is a huge difference

my chest and back hurts just looking at it

How is it that the US hasn't had a league yet? You don't think we want to see Snake, Smug, Dieminion, Du, etc.. in a round robin?

There was Norcal Fight Club but no one paid any attention to it because it's norcal.

The only person in NA who would throw that kind of money around for an invitational would be Lapchi.

Top Bottom