• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 30 - July 6 | Judge, Juri & EGsecutioner

First off: I'm not a Tekken player. I don't know how the fighting system works, only just watched some Evo 2k13 finals of TTT2.
So could someone please explain to me why half of a fight seems to be decided just by the initial hit? Is it possible to escape from those juggles?

Like buddy before me, the only way to escape juggles is to not get launched.

On the initial hit thing...completely depends on the Team combination. If your team can pretty much cripple a character with one Juggle, taking away red life and such, then yeah the game can be decided on the initial hit. Like I said though, depends on the team.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Magus can be an excellent commentator when he chooses to. He has a habit of making the commentary about himself and injecting his personal opinions into everything too much, but if he remembers to reel that in he's actually quite good.
Pretty much.

He's knowledgeable and can be insightful as long as he breaks down the options for both players without injecting any of that "this is what I would have done" bent to it. All things considered, I thought he did a pretty good job at EVO last year.

Enordash

It's that time of the month for commentary discussion again?

Someone whip up the tier list.

That would be a rather entertaining tier list to read, lol.

I personally appreciate when they go into more detail about system mechanics and also elaborate on some of the common lingo that they will be using a lot. I can't count the times I heard something and was just completely stumped on what it was or could mean (FADC, SPD, DI, shine, etc etc across all the games)

Dahbomb

Magus is a top tier commentator. Yeah he goes off the rails sometimes with the tier talk but he has been scaling back on it. He had excellent two EVOs for the game.

Persia is a great and underrated commentator. Knowledgeable and knows when to get enthusiastic about a performance plus she comes with a nice to hear voice. I have no problems with her, it's just that she is probably coming in as a Magus replacement because he has been MIA for quite some time which is a shame.

Magus is a top tier commentator. Yeah he goes off the rails sometimes with the tier talk but he has been scaling back on it. He had excellent two EVOs for the game.

Persia is a great and underrated commentator. Knowledgeable and knows when to get enthusiastic about a performance plus she comes with a nice to hear voice. I have no problems with her, it's just that she is probably coming in as a Magus replacement because he has been MIA for quite some time which is a shame.
Magus is a top tier commentator like Foot Dive is OP. ;)

onionfrog

I think Persia's commentary is actually pretty good. She knows a lot about marvel, which is more than you can say about some commentators.

I don't like Magus!

For Street Fighter, UltraDavid and James Chen are always great. :)

I agree with the sentiment that anime commentary is generally hard to follow for someone who doesn't already play the game(s).

i like magus

started? more like, continued the lifelong trend of

by the way, i can officially announce the following official announcement: i will be an official commentator at eberushion 24 teens!

ps, i don't feel it'd be hard to commentate bbcp well at all. it's fast but it's not as fast as some games, it's just confusing looking while you're getting used to it. after that it's slow enough to talk about stuff pretty easily imo.

what's eberushion 24 teens?

I didn't like Magus...something like 4 years ago when he did a bad job.

Since then he has been perfectly fine just like everybody else. There are a couple of people who might have humour that is an acquired taste, but that is ok too.

Basically I'm saying everybody is awesome and I love you all.

xCobalt

Is it necessary to do "maintenance" on an arcade stick? I noticed that the ball top has some resistance or moves a bit slower when I move it down+forward. Is it wearing out or do I just need to clean it? I've had this stick for like 3 years now.

Chavelo

If you rather have Magus over Persia for Marvel commentary then you are fucking up and should get checked for potential brain damage.

EEEEXXXAAAAAACCCTTTTLLLLYYYY!!!
Haha!

I didn't like Magus...something like 4 years ago when he did a bad job.

Since then he has been perfectly fine just like everybody else. There are a couple of people who might have humour that is an acquired taste, but that is ok too.

Basically I'm saying everybody is awesome and I love you all.
You...love me? :O

If you rather have Magus over Persia for Marvel commentary then you are fucking up and should get checked for potential brain damage.
+1

Sound it out.

Evolution 2014

Facepalm.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Magus is an okay commentator, he hardly provides any insight though, but is good at the play-by-pkay. Persia can and does provide insight and intricacies. Furthermore, Persia can go about 6x longer than Magus before saying something stupid and approximately 400x longer before riding Norcal dick. It's night and day. Like I said above, when Magus isn't on his bullshit, he's okay. Cons: he can't go long without getting on some bullshit.

Another thing I hate about Magus commentary is how he passes off things he doesn't understand as being bad or dumb decisions. It comes off as discrediting the player out of ignorance. That alone keeps him from being a good commentator for me. It's really the worst, and we saw it a ton at EVO last year too. Over and over again he would call something out only for the other commentator (Yipes, etc.) to correct him and provide insight/reasoning afterwards. Terrible habit.

Persia any day of the week. I don't see a single good reason why Magus is a better commentator when none of those problems are present with Persia AND she can do play-by-play.

Magus is an okay commentator, he hardly provides any insight though, but is good at the play-by-pkay. Persia can and does provide insight and intricacies. Furthermore, Persia can go about 6x longer than Magus before saying something stupid and approximately 400x longer before riding Norcal dick. It's night and day. Like I said above, when Magus isn't on his bullshit, he's okay. Cons: he can't go long without getting on some bullshit.

Another thing I hate about Magus commentary is how he passes off things he doesn't understand as being bad or dumb decisions. It comes off as discrediting the player out of ignorance. That alone keeps him from being a good commentator for me. It's really the worst, and we saw it a ton at EVO last year too. Over and over again he would call something out only for the other commentator (Yipes, etc.) to correct him and provide insight/reasoning afterwards. Terrible habit.

Persia any day of the week. I don't see a single good reason why Magus is a better commentator when none of those problems are present with Persia AND she can do play-by-play.
There should be a drinking game for every time Magus says "I would have..."

MrDaravon

Pretty much agree with this.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Dear god, why did I whine? This has gone off the deep end and everyone is in the line of fire now. While I'm at it, I really like that one time Chris G and MarlinPie commentated Marvel at NLBC.

Looks like we have to hold down the fort!
I don't really like Magus or Persia as commentators, tbh. Get them off the mic. I am sure they are great people though.

We got a third person in our three man army racketpunch!

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I would be interested to see how some gaffers faired at the commentary table, I think Dahbomb would probably do pretty well.

smurfx

get some go again
i'm perfectly fine with persia as long as they get a good play by play announcer. is hellpockets doing kof this year?

Kumubou

I would be interested to see how some gaffers faired at the commentary table, I think Dahbomb would probably do pretty well.
I think at one NEC a couple of years back Alstein and I were commentating VF5:FS for a few games. That was... interesting, especially as I think it was one of the the first times (if not the first) he ever did commentary. I've done commentary for several games, but it's usually only for anime fighters no one cares about. :x

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Who would you have commentate Marvel Yams? Just to see which kind of commentator you would appreciate the most.

Of course people will expect me to say Yipes but if I were to find the perfect duo for EVO top 8, it would be Ski... let me fix that.

It would be Yipes on commentary. Guy knows his one-liners, when to dissect the match at key moments, knowledge on a pro level, etc.

His co-commentator would definitely have to be Spooky. I don't know about you, but Spooky definitely knows his stuff. When he would commentate by himself from time to time on Marvel, this guy was a one man show. He would be both the hype man and analyzer! Granted he might not know as much as the pros, he can certainly bring out the faults in their playstyle and how to improve them.

I dream of the day where there can be THREE commentators on a table for Top 8's. Granted it might be hectic with everyone trying to get a chance to talk but if three were found that compliment each other exquisitely, we would be in for one hell of a top 8.

I actually commentate when I'm in a crowd people, most of the time people find it great! Especially when Sentinel comes in. Don't know how I would fare for actual commentary, might need Dahbomb on the side!

GGs to everyone on GAF I played today on USF4, I'm ass, lol

Also Persia commentating Evo is pretty cool. Part of me wishes that for finals day they'd somehow feed the commentary to the crowd, but it would get drowned out by hype so quick, lol.

At least being at Evo means I don't have to worry about who's commentating Marvel, though...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What I will give Magus is that he is pretty open about people reaching out to him to tell him what they like/dislike about his commentary for him to get better. I appreciate that instead of people just passing off criticism as hating by stream monsters or whatever. And to be fair, all these guys get harassed on the regular for their commentary too, even though it's not that serious.

We already have a GOAT contender on GAF, Juicebox.

I think I would make the absolute worst commentator TBH. Sneaking my way onto a stream to shout out GAF is on the bucket list though.

Dahbomb is an obviously good choice. ViewtifulJC might just be the ultimate colour commentator.

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs to everyone on GAF I played today on USF4, I'm ass, lol

Also Persia commentating Evo is pretty cool. Part of me wishes that for finals day they'd somehow feed the commentary to the crowd, but it would get drowned out by hype so quick, lol.

At least being at Evo means I don't have to worry about who's commentating Marvel, though...
Wouldn't that be bad though since players will be able to hear it? Hearing the commentators would almost be like someone coaching you.

I guess for Marvel it wouldn't mean much.

Wouldn't that be bad though since players will be able to hear it? Hearing the commentators would almost be like someone coaching you.

I guess for Marvel it wouldn't mean much.

Just thought of that, yeah, not a good idea.

Unless we go full eSports and put them in boxes.

Sayah

First off: I'm not a Tekken player. I don't know how the fighting system works, only just watched some Evo 2k13 finals of TTT2.
So could someone please explain to me why half of a fight seems to be decided just by the initial hit? Is it possible to escape from those juggles?

The initial launcher, let alone the initial hit, does not decide the match. Extreme exaggeration on your part. That would be like saying the initial hit decides the match in Marvel and even then it would be unsound despite that game having almost every hit lead to a combo.

There is extreme comeback potential in TTT2 thanks to stronger and more frequent netsu. Plus, juggles aren't the only thing one needs.

Example:

http://a.pomf.se/yzlgpy.webm

It's sad the player didn't know how to counter Baek but you get the point.

Beef is part of Fighting GAF, Pony GAF, Narcissist GAF, Sonic GAF, Pokemon GAF. What else?
BCT, Ace AttorneyGAF, PopGAF, and that's it.

I actually stopped lurking/posting in PonyGAF earlier this year. The fanart, and making fun of Owlowl, were the only two reasons I stayed and they both got old.

Top Bottom