• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 23-29 | Forever Yung at heArt

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Went to another tournament on Saturday. Ended up doing better than I expected, was actually able to beat two players that both beat me in the last two tournaments I went to (Riceta & LES) Made it up to winners finals then got BOPPD by Broshadian's Abel. Had to play Riceata in the Losers Finals and he switched to Honda

f honda b. This character is slowly turning into my kryptonite. I don't think he even necessarily beats Elena, but I feel like I have to go to a fireball character to counter pick right when I go up against him. Shiiiiiiiiiet.

I went into training mode for an hour and just went through Honda's specials/jump ins and pokes to learn the matchup as Elena. I feel like it's winnable, just not fun.

Nice to meet Vulva again
still waitin on that link fam

Anyway, after so many L's for using Deejay, i've won about $100 in the last month from SF. All these years of pot monstering finally paying off.

again, I hope nobody learns that Elena matchup
kttcolilolbron

honda is annoying, i feel like changing characters due to how patient i have to be with gief and i just want to make someone eat shit when i play a character, hence as to why i play wolvie. i just like gief cause of his big damage... why is gief my only useful character ;_;

Anne

Um, hello everyone.

I'm no regular here or anything, but does anyone here play more obscure fighting games, like the Touhou spinoffs or French Bread stuff or Arcana Heart? I admit I've been curious to give these games a try even if their community may have since moved on, just because I'm always looking for unique fun experiences. What can you guys tell me about these types of fighters, or if there are similar games with active scenes?

I'm not like a poverty monster or anything, but I can point you in right directions and answer most questions. I'm not a fan of Soku anymore, I stopped playing it about a year ago. I play all the FB games to some capacity though, and those scenes exist with UNiEL being the only really surviving one.

Examu is a thing that I can again, answer basic questions about and point you in the right direction, but that's not my kinda thing. I almost bought a NA copy of LoveMax!!!!! but right when I picked it up off the shelf a police officer walked in the store, so I took that as a sign to leave it be for now.

Dahbomb

honda is annoying, i feel like changing characters due to how patient i have to be with gief and i just want to make someone eat shit when i play a character, hence as to why i play wolvie. i just like gief cause of his big damage... why is gief my only useful character ;_;
You should be playing Yun not Gief. You don't have patience for Gief.

mbpm1

You should be playing Yun not Gief. You don't have patience for Gief.

Srsly, you're playing the wrong character for the wrong reasons Yams

Honda isn't bad, just wait for them to do random buttslams and punish

...It probably says something about my playstyle that I can break Hondas and make them exit turtle mode

or maybe it's just playing Ken that does that

Srsly, you're playing the wrong character for the wrong reasons Yams

Honda isn't bad, just wait for them to do random buttslams and punish

...It probably says something about my playstyle that I can break Hondas and make them exit turtle mode

or maybe it's just playing Ken that does that

It's hard when the player you're going against has a LOT better footsies than you do.

I got crushed b.

I'm prepared for Honda tho.. kinda.

Any honda players on Gaf?

Rhapsody

Banned
Anyone know what the most common Evil Ryu OSs are? Might just make the switch since I don't feel like using just Ryu is cutting it.

Been leaning on either using him or Akuma.

Dahbomb

Yun's combos are not even that hard compared to Zangief's. He even has a command throw. Plus with Red Focus he has easy access to big damage, no need to learn Genei Jin combos/loops.

Getting better with Yun will improve your Wolverine game as well since you need to be more precise with your dive kicks.

Shouta

Back from FR as of like 2 hours ago. A shame that I didn't get to see the finals but oh well. Lots more great play coming in the next few months.

I spent most of the weekend helping Kazunoko, Itazan and KitasenjuDJ get around and do all of their stuff instead of actually playing. As I posted in the FR thread Saturday night, they ended up in my room and it was going to be the 5 of us in there until their room got cleared out at the last second, lol. Sunday morning, I met up with Kazunoko and Abegen to watch Xrd which was awesome as fuck. There was some seriously crazy play in that and despite the 6-0 blow-up in GFs was really awesome all around. After that, we went up to their room and hung out until I went down with KitasenjuDJ to find Filipinoman to do a match. That ended up with having everyone playing KitasenjuDJ for like 3-4 hours in one of the side rooms which was awesome.

For pools, I got to Winner's Semi-Finals and got blown up by KBrad's Cammy. I know I could have played that much up way better but I definitely gotta grind more to play at the level I'm imagining how the fights turn out. I just barely lost to an Abel in loser's when I should have just straight won it. Blegh. Oh well, not bad for my 3rd out of state major in SF4, not counting Topanga Banzuke.

I got blown up in DOA but that was to be expected since I just started recently. It's a hella fucking legit game though, So much fun to play with folks that are doing it competitively.

I didn't get into Xrd as I mentioned in the FR thread. All my pools were roughly around 10am on Saturday morning and since USF4 has been my main game recently, I did that instead. Luckily, DOA5 was running a bit behind and I was able to play it. Thanks to the DOA folks for being understanding. In Xrd, they DQ'd and said they'd put me into a later pull like a late reg for to make up for putting me in an early pool but they ended up not putting me in anyway so I just got my reg fee back.

I did get to play in a Persona side tournament on Saturday night after it getting delayed a whole day.. Got beat by a Yousuke 1st round, beat a Kanji in Loser's and got a bye, then lost to DC's Yukari. I definitely need to play the game more too but lack of setups for the game at all except for before the tournament and just general lack of players for the game outside of events has made it harder for me to keep my Ken playing at the speed I want.

General thoughts on FR as a tournament: The venue was pretty good. The hotel layout is interesting with the central area being where folks could gather between matches. The arcade cabinets were really nice to have in the main area and was really fun. The large number of players attending really helped bring the atmosphere up and there was always something going on which was pretty great. There were a ton of great matches offline too which is a nice little bonus for attendees.

However, as I mentioned in the FR thread on Friday, I think there were a lot of things that could be done to improve the event. I spoke with RoninChaos, who's been involved with the event for a long time, about it at length on Saturday. A lot of what I talked about wasn't just at FR but a lot of other events as far as I can tell from pictures, spoken accounts, and all that. Things like configuring setups to be more conducive to crowds watching offline matches and walking space to general roles to help make the event run smoother.

I may do a more detailed post tomorrow when I have a bit of free time during work and if RoninChaos doesn't mind me talking about it a little here on GAF.

Its that time again...
7lFl7lP.jpg

kof2000-stage-factory-animate.gif

Even if I played Tekken and Street Fighter before, KOF2000 was the first game I got into trying to do real things like striker combos and such. I played the arcade mode countless times and there was this goal to meet Kula at the Harbor or in the factory (with the music changing the mood of the game)
This stage was the first of a long series of stages discoveries for me among other SNK titles. It has a nice color graduation, some good shadows and going from one side to the other changes a lot.

Um, hello everyone.

I'm no regular here or anything, but does anyone here play more obscure fighting games, like the Touhou spinoffs or French Bread stuff or Arcana Heart? I admit I've been curious to give these games a try even if their community may have since moved on, just because I'm always looking for unique fun experiences. What can you guys tell me about these types of fighters, or if there are similar games with active scenes?

I've played a lot of Touhou 10.5/12.3 and little 13.5. 'Unique experiences' describes it about right, they diverge pretty far from normal fighting games. Fun though, especially if you like the source material.

I've played/play Arcana Heart/Under Night too. They're just totally legit and awesome balanced traditional fighting games, that just happen to have a smaller player-base (doesn't help that Love Max has region-locked multi though). Definitely shouldn't let that stop you from getting into them if you want to.

Under Night is still pretty active last i checked. I'm hoping DBFC will be once it releases in the west.

Azure J

Its that time again...
7lFl7lP.jpg

Tower of Arrogance from Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Saviour immediately comes to mind in the traditional 2D fighter realm.

iwomUOKIuvshJ.png

i2UsKG4aK3wQZ.jpg

These pictures do it no justice however.

Something about the spectacle of fighting on the side of a building overlooking a Times Square/Shibuya Crossing area with various helicopters zipping by attempting to get a view of the action as you fight is just amazingly imaginative and really sets the tone for the dream like scenario that was the Vampire Saviour storyline.

Another thing that really gets me hype are moving stages. I'm a sucker for an awesome train stage, hence my newfound love for Axl's stage, 'Edinburgh Magicapolis' in Guilty Gear Xrd:

I love literally every detail in this stage. From the Kiki's Delivery Service style witches darting about in the background during the train's initial departure, to the trip through the forest setting up the reveal of the gigantic Halloweentown style metropolis in the early hours of the evening, it all just comes together so well. Even the little bits of signage advertising things like the "ZIphone" and fast food establishments are great for establishing a sense of personality and place. I'm an avid fan of landscapes that use warm colors against a "cold" seeming background too, so this really hits all the high points in terms of stage design for the current generation.

If we go to Smash/platform fighters, I'm a big function over form type. My favorite stage is probably either Yoshi's Story (Melee), Town and City (Smash 4) or Green Hill Zone (Project M version).

Contrary to popular belief, the best stages in Smash are ones where you have platforms to interact with and as a Marth player, this either means lowish to the ground/other platforms so you can shark people with up tilt da gawd/play the meanest game of tag as you waveland on everything ever, or having a dynamic platform on set intervals that you can use to run those And1 style mix ups with proper awareness of their locations at any point in time. (Hi Randall!)

I also feel like Town & City is way more interesting than Smashville due to how it's main platform separates into two and there are more uniquely positioned platform configurations. Also helps that it has one of the most chill bits of music ever to play with in Outdoors at 7PM/Main Street. You'd think this song isn't fighting material but I love it. It's so zen. It's also made even better with the night time colorway:

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Its that time again...
7lFl7lP.jpg

VF3 stages are controversial because they can complicate matchups in undesirable ways.

however, I love them.
I think my favorite is Kage's stage, as it has a nice color palette, and a good variety of surface textures and stuff. It just looks great to me, a really busy stage with a lot going on.

tumblr_njk86fsezg1slig2vo1_400.gif

Lots of variety in the geometry too - note the contrast between the hilly terrain and the flat temple steps they lead up to.

In this gif you can see that the stage is covered in leaves which can get kicked up throughout the battle, too.

tumblr_nfxuo7jrsF1slig2vo1_400.gif

Azure J

VF3 stages are controversial because they can complicate matchups in undesirable ways.

however, I love them.
I think my favorite is Kage's stage, as it has a nice color palette, and a good variety of surface textures and stuff. It just looks great to me, a really busy stage with a lot going on.

tumblr_njk86fsezg1slig2vo1_400.gif

Rare footage of Sonic spindashing to victory in yet another game

Its that time again...
7lFl7lP.jpg
I generally do not care about stages. I just don't want the background to be distracting. Clashing colors or blending colors are hard on my eyes. I can't play on Danger Room in UMvC3 against a black colored team because I can't keep track of the characters. No joke. I play on Bonne Wonderland because no colors clash.

In USFIV, I like the sunset version of the boat stage, I forgot the name. It is nice and peaceful, like two warriors combatting at nightfall. In Smash, I like Palutena's Temple and Xenoblade. As a kid, I loved The Pit in MK because there was a whole other aspect of the level you didn't know existed. I loved uppercutting people into the pit to see the whole thing.

I like that Skullgirls added a stage that reacts to the fight.

While I can basically play all day and forget what stage I was on, I would say that I enjoy stages with soft tones or a naturey feel, and I like the idea of stages having an exploration aspect while reacting to the elements of the fight.

Oh yeah, the best 3D stage of all time is the ice rink in Soul Calibur 2. So many fun and lolzy moments on there with friends. From a party aspect, Temple and Great Fox are the best Smash stages.

mbpm1

It's hard when the player you're going against has a LOT better footsies than you do.

I got crushed b.

I'm prepared for Honda tho.. kinda.

Any honda players on Gaf?

True.

Players that just walk around with jab hands and st fierce are hard to deal with.

For stages, USF4 is generally quite bland. But the boat stages are the least bland for me.

Also, I got a job? PogChamp PogChamp PogChamp

Exr

Saffron City in Smash 64

That shit was absolutely wondrous to me as a little kid
Yeah this is still my favorite Smash map, especially in Project M. Someone calls the helipad on the far right and everyone fights like nuts to keep it, meteor smashes and dunks all up in ins.

i will say in ultra I always go to the overpass stage b/c of the myth that the stage is shorter than others, which was why mago always picked it.

i will say in ultra I always go to the overpass stage b/c of the myth that the stage is shorter than others, which was why mago always picked it.

For all the game's faults, some of SF4's stages are really amazingly pretty. Overpass and Festival At The Old Temple especially look like paintings.

Top Bottom