• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 12-18 | The Bracket Racket

casperOne

Since I missed the bracket discussion from last night, I have a possible suggestion to SJC or any TO's that think come top 32 that reseeding might be needed.

Why not just openly state that there will be a re-shuffle of the players at top 32, clean start. Make it so players don't have any expectations of who they face next until the re-shuffle has been done. This would help prevent anyone from feeling like they were being screwed, as there was never the promise or suggestion of them facing a certain player next.

This would require an extreme amount of transparency in order to be legitimzed in any way.

The implications on seeding correctly in pools would be big as well, I'd think; you'd still seed in pools, only to know that the whole tournament becomes really randomized after pools. Not sure how players or the community feels about that. It would definitely minimize the impact of seeding early in the pools though, which could be a good or bad thing.

I don't know if anyone else is having trouble with Twitch's flash player recently, but if you are, this is a really neat program:

https://github.com/chrippa/livestreamer/releases/tag/v1.8.0

Going to check this out. There are many times I just don't need the twitch page open.

Site is down for me now. But like others, a bit late. Seems that INJ players in general have very much embraced interactables and their impact in the game (all the way to the character select screen).

----

Hope you're alright Q.

Horseress

Am I the only one mad that we have only 17 days till June and there's no release date for ultra yet? "Early June" is not a release date

onionfrog

Q, I hope you're alright bro.
-----
Cautiously optimistic about that Ono tweet.

A new capcom fighter and Beast Souls would be enough to get me to buy a PS4 and tolerate paying for online.

Am I the only one mad that we have only 17 days till June and there's no release date for ultra yet? "Early June" is not a release date
I'm a little annoyed. I hope it doesn't get delayed.

Did they confirm a ps4 version of Ultra yet? Seems like a no brainer to me.

SimSimIV

I'm not feeling too optimistic for Dhalsim in USF4.

I didn't think st mk hitting twice was very important and I thought helped in matchups he won more than matchups he lost, but at least it was something! I'm fine with them taking it away in theory, but only if he gets something to help deal with bad matchups. Instead, it seems all he got in return was a return to the AE2012 status quo with the ability to juggle after doing ex upblast. That's... pretty minor. I mean it's nice because he usually wants to use ex upblast in situations where his other antiairs won't work and that's mostly in matchups and situations that are bad for him, so ok, he can get a bit more damage in those situations. But in so doing, he gives up a hard knockdown and gets worse positioning, and the extra damage isn't that huge. So it's useful, but not THAT useful. Buffing lk upblast is almost irrelevant, I don't know why I'd use it over my other antiairs.

I'd thought that Wultra would be great for Sim because both of his ultras have high utility, but almost none of the Sim footage I've seen so far has him using it, and that makes me wonder if I'm wrong about that. Does the loss of damage decrease utility of the ultras to the point of not mattering enough? Do characters not care about getting stuck in u1/u2 traps if the trap does like 150-250 damage? I dunno.

He doesn't really seem to get much value out of red focus, either. He doesn't have cool link combos into it, the best is like down-back+hp, back+hp xx ex rf. Instead, red focus makes characters like Yun, Claw, Zangief, etc even more dangerous for him.

Unblockables being gone is great for him, no doubt, but he loses to normal non-unblockable mixups anyway. Delayed wakeup is nice because it lets him mix his attackers up, but it also sucks for him because after hard knockdowns he'll no longer be able to guarantee that he can place a yoga fire into the opponent or set up a safe jump. Not having certainty about positioning sucks for Sim.

And meanwhile most other characters, including all the bottom and low tiers, are getting buffed. Maybe not as much as you'd like if you're a DeeJay player or something, but the buffs they got are real. Many of his even matchup characters got buffed and many of his bad matchup characters got buffed from slightly to significantly as well. Some of them, like Cammy, got nerfed a bit, but the accounts from Japan say that Cammy is still really strong, so I dunno if she'll be less effective against him really.

I kinda feel like Sim is getting left in the dust, and he was already in it before :(

Yup, Sim is looking real bad without the damage buff.

I too was fine With 2-hitting mk removed, but not without buffs he needs! And the damage was one of them.

If Sim gets the damage buff back, and another tool that helps him deal with bad matchups (Maybe hurtbox buff on lk/mk slide so his head and shoulders are invurnerable, so he can slide under divekicks, or maybe 2-hitting st.lk or b.mk), then I think he would be good enough for me. Not better than mid tier probably, but would be more fun to play with!

Also, it seems you have misunderstood the juggle buff UD. It isn't ex blast that got the juggle, but ex flame (As far as I have understood). Sim can now combo in to ex flame mid screen, and juggle with st.mp (b.mk doesn't Reach from what I have heard. I was sad because a b.mk reset in to lp fireball cancel would be nice). In the corner he can juggle b.hk after ex flame, and I bet he can juggle ex blast too (But I don't think Lucky D got around to test it)

Oh and feel better Q!

Since I missed the bracket discussion from last night, I have a possible suggestion to SJC or any TO's that think come top 32 that reseeding might be needed.

Why not just openly state that there will be a re-shuffle of the players at top 32, clean start. Make it so players don't have any expectations of who they face next until the re-shuffle has been done. This would help prevent anyone from feeling like they were being screwed, as there was never the promise or suggestion of them facing a certain player next.

Even though I won't be heavily involved in ECT anymore, I'm going to push for Joe and Nick to show how bracket flow will work in the future. Total reshuffle has been done in the past, but like CasperOne said, it can just cause problems in the long run.

SimSimIV

Even though I won't be heavily involved in ECT anymore, I'm going to push for Joe and Nick to show how bracket flow will work in the future. Total reshuffle has been done in the past, but like CasperOne said, it can just cause problems in the long run.

Good luck with everything on the west coast SJC!

Shito

I'm a little annoyed. I hope it doesn't get delayed.
They will probably want to avoid being too late so as not too miss EVO, but yeah I'm also starting to get a bad feeling about it.

That being said, DLCs are different beast compared to retail release; they don't go through the same certification process and all, so that's probably a part of the reason why we're still in the dark on a precise release date.

Horseress

Man, don't "re" anything! TO's should just make the brackets and let it go! That's why I think everyone should adopt Chalonge, you can't change anything there

thehadou

Neo Member
...But like others, a bit late. Seems that INJ players in general have very much embraced interactables and their impact in the game (all the way to the character select screen).

PL's been calling for an interactable ban since day 1. He's just re-upping his complaint/whine as Martian and a few other characters are regularly producing very high damage outputs based on location control or combos into unavoidable interactables. I'm not really concerned with it but have always been one of the guys who enjoys some of the insanity that comes along with interactables.

I stress out way more over Batgirl.

Mr. X

They don't have release date yet probably because they haven't heard back from all 3 PSN regions and XBL on if it passed for distribution.

casperOne

Man, don't "re" anything! TO's should just make the brackets and let it go! That's why I think everyone should adopt Chalonge, you can't change anything there

Agreed on the "not 're' anything".

Challonge presents it's own set of difficulties:

- The algorithm of where to send someone is losers is fixed. Challonge aligns with the brackets that most tournaments run, but for Evo, they use an algorithm where losers in the second round winners switch sides of the bracket. This is done to prevent double jeopardy.

- There's no way to link the output of pools (which currently is an incomplete tournament if you're taking one winner/loser from each pool) to another bracket.

However, these issues are minor, and Challonge can easily be used for any tournament with Pool/Top X breakdowns. The players in the Top X bracket simply are the names "Winner Pool 01", "Loser Pool 02" and filled in with the results of each pool as they go forward.

Hopefully, there will be some better options on how to move people to losers to avoid double jeopardy in the future. Binary Beast currently moves people Evo-style, but their user experience is absolutely horrid (and I've not been able to get access to their API yet, so double negative mark there) and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

There's also Battlefy, but it insists on seeding for you, which is a pain, because you can't just dump a list of people in and say "order them in the order I input them"; you have to unwind it's seeding algorithm and generate synthetic seeds.

casperOne

USF4 could drop the day of evo and they'd still run it

hey now, everybody had a fair chance to fly to Japan and play it for a month already

The rule is two months IIRC; there was a tweet from Tony/Tom indirectly addressing this when Skullgirls was considered for the 9th game in Evo 2012. I believe they indicated SG wouldn't be out in time so it couldn't be considered for the ninth game.

That obviously didn't apply when AE came out, and the same would go for Ultra, as I'd imagine, as you're missing out on a huge opportunity to attract viewership with the new game.

The rule is two months IIRC; there was a tweet from Tony/Tom indirectly addressing this when Skullgirls was considered for the 9th game in Evo 2012. I believe they indicated SG wouldn't be out in time so it couldn't be considered for the ninth game.

That obviously didn't apply when AE came out, and the same would go for Ultra, as I'd imagine, as you're missing out on a huge opportunity to attract viewership with the new game.
Yeah, I figure the flagship Capcom title would be the exception ala AE in 2011

I doubt anything comes from the interactables ban talk for Injustice. Interactables are part of IGAU's identity. I don't even buy that it'd change results that much. A lot of the guys saying it makes the game better are the same bitter dudes who say Injustice is random, Injustice has no footsies. They're not winning and they won't win even if there's no interactables.

Announcing that you're going to reshuffle the top 32 or top 16 doesn't help. It's still going to cause nothing but controversy and make people feel they got screwed. There shouldn't be a need for it if the pools are seeded correctly. There's just no logical argument in favor of it, it's a non issue that should be gone.

I doubt anything comes from the interactables ban talk for Injustice. Interactables are part of IGAU's identity. I don't even buy that it'd change results that much.

Announcing that you're going to reshuffle the top 32 or top 16 doesn't help. It's still going to cause nothing but controversy and make people feel they got screwed. There shouldn't be a need for it if the pools are seeded correctly. There's just no logical argument in favor of it, it's a non issue that should be gone.

The final game between Sonic Fox and Jupiter was heavily dependent on Aquaman's stage interactables. They basically won him the first round and gave him insane advantage in the second.

Not saying they should be banned, but you can't say the results wouldn't be different.

Chindogg

Ok I'm still catching up on ECT (I was busy all weekend.)

So that's the first time? Yeah I don't get why people are crying over a really strong but not brazenly overpowered character. He's not prepatch Superman. Hell, even prepatch Superman wasn't prepatch Superman.

The final game between Sonic Fox and Jupiter was heavily dependent on Aquaman's stage interactables. They basically won him the first round and gave him insane advantage in the second.

Not saying they should be banned, but you can't say the results wouldn't be different.

I mean in general not individual games. Meaning Sonic Fox and Jupiter are great players and interactables aren't what got them to the grand finals. They're both super consistent. In fact they were the grand finals of Civil War.

They definitely effect games but it's usually a two way street. What Batgirl can do with car bombs is as nasty as what MMH can do after his phase shift move.

Ok I'm still catching up on ECT (I was busy all weekend.)

So that's the first time? Yeah I don't get why people are crying over a really strong but not brazenly overpowered character. He's not prepatch Superman. Hell, even prepatch Superman wasn't prepatch Superman.

Jupiter has won regionals but ECT was his first major. He wins his weekly most weeks too.

People are crying because MMH bodies everyone online and it's just "obvious" he is too good. The fear is in the future he will be winning everything. Our community was mentally scared by Kabal in MK9. The whole life of this game so far has been a hunt for "The Kabal of Injustice". MMH has all the tools so from the beginning it's been a lingering fear. You have Jupiter and REO starting to do very well and it's a recipe for a riot.

This is not what I think but it's the communities' logic.

Dahbomb

I don't know why the community is worried about MMH... aren't they just going to release a patch after EVO any way?

Shouta

Controlling resources on the field for your use or to prevent your opponent from using it is an element of skill and the fight too. So I personally don't see the need to ban Interactables in Injustice. I feel the same for items in Smash though they have an actual random factor (exploding barrels, starts etc) to them depending on the game.

It basically becomes an RTS' resource/map control element where you want to fight and control certain points so it's to your advantage, just like a corner in Street Fighter.

I don't know why the community is worried about MMH... aren't they just going to release a patch after EVO any way?

The last patch came out in October. There have been a few small hot fixes since then though. Most players think NRS is done patching.

Going to check this out. There are many times I just don't need the twitch page open.

One major issue with it - it avoids ads and AFAIK also avoids sub-only resolutions. This means it is an exploit that Twitch will probably shut down at some point (hopefully in an update after the one which swaps their flash-based player for something more modern).

Also, I hope you're okay Q. :(

Chindogg

Jupiter has won regionals but ECT was his first major. He wins his weekly most weeks too.

People are crying because MMH bodies everyone online and it's just "obvious" he is too good. The fear is in the future he will be winning everything. Our community was mentally scared by Kabal in MK9. The whole life of this game so far has been a hunt for "The Kabal of Injustice". MMH has all the tools so from the beginning it's been a lingering fear. You have Jupiter and REO starting to do very well and it's a recipe for a riot.

This is not what I think but it's the communities' logic.

Oh I completely agree. I was arguing for months that there were no absurdly broken characters in Injustice, just obviously good to deceptively good.

BTW thanks for proving me right that Catwoman was a great character. I got so much shit after saying she was great during UFGT finals last year lol.

Controlling resources on the field for your use or to prevent your opponent from using it is an element of skill and the fight too. So I personally don't see the need to ban Interactables in Injustice. I feel the same for items in Smash though they have an actual random factor (exploding barrels, starts etc) to them depending on the game.

It basically becomes an RTS' resource/map control element where you want to fight and control certain points so it's to your advantage, just like a corner in Street Fighter.

I agree. I can't remember any tournament match where the interactables are the sole reason I lost, where I literally had no options. I've been salty about them but it's scenarios where I could have made a better read and blown them up for them. The exception is maybe the OTGs the power characters have. But then again, it is offset by some of the silliness of the gadget characters, I've definitely stolen games with bombs and the ridiculous dumpster.

Oh I completely agree. I was arguing for months that there were no absurdly broken characters in Injustice, just obviously good to deceptively good.

BTW thanks for proving me right that Catwoman was a great character. I got so much shit after saying she was great during UFGT finals last year lol.

Thanks, that's cool. Catwoman is awesome, she's just a ton of work. That's why it took a long time for her to do well. I think I might actually like playing her more than Kitana in MK9.

Top Bottom