• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of May 18th to the 24th, 2015.

Fighting Games Weekly is a place for all things fighting games. News, game discussion, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well. If you are looking to see what events are coming up past this week, check out the FGC Event Calendar that our own Malice215 put together.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibg8VoGHXS8BOI.jpg

ibcFc4B35Sbsvs.jpg

Last year, GAFer Shouta helped organize donations from various FGC-GAF members to send fellow member QisTopTier to EVO. Q suffers from Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy, but has always wanted to go to EVO and we're looking to double up this year and send him to EVO again!

If you want to help out, you can check out the details and pledge on this spreadsheet.

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Combo Breaker [ Additional streams: VGBootCamp, Callisto, Galloping Ghost Arcade ] [ Thread ] [ Friday ] [ 1PM Chicago | 2PM EDT | 11AM PDT ]
  • Combo Breaker rises as the spiritual successor to the wild and wildly popular UFGT series of tournaments that ran for a decade beforehand out of Chicago.
  • Capcom Pro Tour Ranking Event
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.
Stunfest 2015 [ Thread ] [ Friday ]
  • Stunfest returns again as a premiere event for the Capcom Pro Tour and one of Europe's biggest tournaments of the year.
  • Capcom Pro Tour Premier Event
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here (French).

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ibjODdn8OB7IMT.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at our healthiest member, IntelliHeath!

IntelliHeath's note: I would like to provide a proper warning, Beware of my poor English

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
Currently, I'm playing Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. I don't think I need to explain everything about Smash Bros because I'm pretty sure that everyone here are perfectly aware of how Smash Bros work.

I wish that you did not have to ask me that question because it's a pretty tough question for me to be able to answer that. All I can say that Marvel Vs. Capcom, Persona 4 Arena, Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom are my top 5 favorite fighting franchises.

You asked, why? I have way too many reasons but I'm going to make it short and sweet for everyone by picking a couple reasons. Those reasons could be applicable to all franchises.

1. I'm a really huge fan of crossover video games because I find it very exciting with the fact there are many potential choices that they could go with their development games. Also I always enjoy when the GAF community - where everyone could get together and discuss about the game itself; characters, movesets, stages, etc. I always enjoy the hypes behind Crossover Rosters to see which characters the companies would chose to turn into playable characters. I really appreciate the companies who have or had vast libraries because it's pretty tough to predict which characters they would chose. I also appreciate that they are pouring their souls and hearts into their franchises. Their rich history also would be reflected in the game.

2. I always preferred fighting games with 2D and 2.5D as you probably have noticed that on my list. However, I actually enjoy 3D fighting games at an casual level, like Tekken 3, Dead or Alive, and Power Stone.

3. Character Roster! What else? I will emphasize that I really love the character rosters that have a lot of varieties that would make the game more interesting. There are many mechanisms that could make characters stand out very well; rushdowns, zoners, balanced, grapplers, zoners, puppet masters, unique characters, etc.

Who would want to have a fighting game with only 10 Shotos?! Yeah, you don’t really need to answer that since it’s a rhetorical question.

4. Stages. I know some people doesn’t really care about the stage, and some people does. I actually appreciate it when people put a lot of details in the stages to make it lively. Example: Chun Li’s Hong Kong stage and Smash’s Smashville.

I think I’m going to stop right now with the list before I bore everyone out of their minds.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
To be frank, I don’t really have any favorite mechanics. I always enjoy the games as the developers present it to be. I know it may sound strange but I always enjoy the games’ mechanisms because that’s what made the fighter games different from each other.

I believe that there are three important parts that fighters need in the game - battle engines, characters and stages. Fighting games without any soul will not going to stay around for a long time, like for example,. what happened with Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.

My least favorite mechanic is obviously tripping from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Sakurai, why the heck did you think it was a brilliant idea to have characters randomly tripped over? I thought it was a really dumb inclusion. I can’t really think any other mechanic that would be at same level as or worse than tripping.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
It just happened when I was very young. I went to the arcade with my friends almost weekly so I was drawn to fighting arcades, along with other few genres. At first, I was somewhat too young to understand the concept behind the fighting games but I just enjoy it so much and I burned so many quarters on the arcades. I always felt that arcade scenes were the best because it was amazing and the environment was great. I have been disappointed with the fact that arcade scenes are dwindling. Those days were old good days.

I’m huge fans of role-playing games and shooter games. For other genres, I’m very flexible with any games since I welcome any games as long as they are fun to play with and will get me hooked until I complete the games.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
I really have a long list of favorite characters but this time I’m going to keep it simple. I would usually main grapplers (Hakan, T.Hawk, Alex, Kanji, Mike Haggar, She-Hulk, etc) in almost all of 2D and 2.5D traditional fighting games. Sometime I would prefer Rushdown characters (Wesker,Sho) and Balanced/Oddball Characters (Frank West, Phoenix Wright, Roll, etc)

My favorite character is Duck Hunt. I always wanted to see Duck Hunt as a playable character ever since Melee got released once I noticed that it had a trophy from Duck Hunt. That’s when I start realizing that Sakurai is/was aware of Duck Hunt franchise, so I was rooting for Duck Hunt to become playable character or assist trophy during Brawl Hype era. That did not happened. When Smash 4 got confirmed to be planned for 3DS and Wii U, once again I was rooting for Duck Hunt to be a playable character. When Smash 3DS leak came out, and I was disappointed that we didn’t get any type of video of Duck Hunt. I had to wait for a while until I finally saw Duck Hunt in action. It just dawned on me that I finally got one of my greatest wishes for Smash Bros.

Sakurai did a fantastic job with the concept behind Duck Hunt. I was pleasely surprised how Duck Hunt work in Smash Bros and it was way different than I expected the moveset to be. Duck Hunt is just perfect for me!
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I believe that my style might be too aggressive so sometime I would forget all about my defensive ability. I realized that I really need to work on my defense ability to able to handle some opponents. I recognized my own problem so that’s why I’m trying to learn how to be more patience with opponents and learn how to play it safe sometime.

I used to play local but not anymore because of changes in my life so I have to resort to deal with online so that’s why I’m very anal about lags. Sorry, peeps if you are sick of me bitching about lags.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
My weakness is time so basically I’m stuck in a position between competitive and casual due to the fact that I don’t really have a lot of time to sit down and practice the combos. I would love to work on my skills with some characters so I could fight better against some players.

My strength is my memory. I really have a darn good memory so I could remember most of things that I really need related to fighting games, like combos, moveset inputs, advantages (weakness/strenghts), etc.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
I had several best moments.

Few months after Brawl got released, there were couples of tournaments that I went. I managed to get myself to final 4 and final 8.
I got placed in top 16 for Super Smash Bros Melee during the college years.
For Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, I fought against Flux in the past. He mentioned that I had a solid team but he emphasized that I need to learn more combos for my team, and practice more.

Worst moment in my fighting game career. It was pretty easy to remember.

It was a Brawl Tournament which was run by a group of members that had no clue how to handle Smash Bros tournaments. They were following some kind of random rules that they found from the internet. There were good players in the game. Basically a tournament’s rules is stage: random (all legal stages) and winner of only one round would move forward. Also there is no loser bracket.

I finally made to final four. When we were doing final four brackets. The random chose Skyworld as the stage where we had to fight. I spoke to one of the tournament host and tried to warn him that Skyworld isn’t a legal stage and it shouldn’t be in the random list. The host of tournament basically told me to deal with it. I lost due to breakable platforms.

During Final 2, the host came out and announced that the final battle would be a round of three (2/3) and it was pretty much one sided battle. I went up and congratulated the winner of the tournament. He told me that he was disappointed with the result that happened during my battle. He emphasized that he believed that I should have been in final two and noted that I got screwed over by the choice of stage. He offered me to fight him to see what would happen if it was just between us in Final 2. Of course, I accepted, and we fought. I won by 2-1 so I’m glad that I was able to fight against him.
What do you want from future fighting games?
I know that I have a impossible dream for future fighting games that I would able to fight everyone without any slight of lags. Basically online mode would be lag-less against anyone from anywhere in the world.

Also I would love to have new versus games where Capcom could feel comfortable to patch and update more frequently than they could have with Marvel Vs. Capcom. Also I would love to see Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 or Nintendo Vs. Capcom.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Shamrock7r
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
I usually don't preorder the games unless they offer any preorder bonus for the games that will get my attention. Right now, there is nothing for me to preorder.

ibqmKoeGZdF3Lr.jpg

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
Capcom UK presents WinnerStaysOn Sessions [ 8PM GMT | 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]
  • Logan Sama, organiser of the old WSO weeklys in London, invites some of London's finest to Capcom UK HQ for first to 5 sets in USF4.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • A weekly show featuring Mago, Tokido, and Momochi. They go over the tournaments they will participate and have participated in overseas and in Japan, as well as the general news in SF. For long periods of the year, there is a student-teacher session involving one of the 3 Topanga members taking a player under their wing and teaching them how to play SF. The show features rank matches (sometimes random char. matches) and ends with a 8 man online tournament featuring players around 4.5kpp such as Poongko, Inco, and more.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Fraud City [ 7:30PM EDT | 4:30PM PDT ]
  • Bifuteki streams tournaments for 4 games (UMvC3, USFIV, MKX and KI) in pairs on a rotating week-to-week schedule.
HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • SuperDojo and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

Lone Dragon, you can throw a tournament for any old game and still have people play in it. That doesn't mean those games aren't dead though. Dead in this context means an active or thriving scene. TMNT Tournament Fighters is dead, but people still bring a setup to evo. Same with Ehrgeiz, same with Hyper Fighting, same with SamSho1, etc.

Marvel is dying, as I said before, because everything has already been figured out. Everyone already knows who the best players are, the best teams, and the best setups. I'm not saying the game isn't all of a sudden going to stop seeing attendance overnight, but numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster at Sacrifice.

smurfx

get some go again
Lone Dragon, you can throw a tournament for any old game and still have people play in it. That doesn't mean those games aren't dead though. Dead in this context means an active or thriving scene. TMNT Tournament Fighters is dead, but people still bring a setup to evo. Same with Ehrgeiz, same with Hyper Fighting, same with SamSho1, etc.

Marvel is dying, as I said before, because everything has already been figured out. Everyone already knows who the best players are, the best teams, and the best setups. I'm not saying the game isn't all of a sudden going to stop seeing attendance overnight, but numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster at Sacrifice.
zero, vergil and tac infinites are boring to watch most of the time.

Beat him off, maybe.
IpLp8hg.gif

Dude's at work, give him time

can confirm

Anyway summary on this weekend, my performance and everything.

Overall, I think I played well. Didn't do too hot in pools but it is what it is. Lost to a Bison I sorta go back and forth with, then to a Cody player. I really gotta get comfortable with the Cody matchup. I really let him dictate the match how he wanted it and played really cautious and ended up not doing all too much. I can't make too many mistakes because two combos is a stun and done. It was probably karma for what I did to that Makoto player on stream.

Venue was nice with the other games and such, would've liked to actually find where Hearthstone was being played to watch it but oh well.

It was nice to see the GAF B O Y S in Tiktok/One(banned)Mic/Vulva and Oneida. Hope y'all liked my fraudulent Elena.

Got to play with most of the top players, went like this:

Justin, I got bodied, learned a lot, dude wouldn't let me breathe without asking for permission.
Infiltration, read me like a book, learned a bit, he didn't respect me not even once.
K-Brad, good old Cammy beatdown, learned some more, those stagger cr.lk's and walk forward block strings are so good. I gotta get that into my game. Haven't played a Cammy that good, pressure was too strong. Showed me there was truly #LEVELS to this block string shit.
Noel? I asked him to MM and ended up winning, he asked for a runback and I won that too. Elena vs charge characters that aren't Chun Li can be fun sometimes.

Also, shoutouts to power outages during a Zelda 100% speed run when the guy is 2 hours + into it and didn't save lmao.

S/O to Russell for holding another successful event.

Also, biggest shoutout for the biggest thotbucket Enzo for not supporting the community he pretends to be apart of. All the GAF B O Y S at the event have come to the conclusion that he truly aint shit and that I should captain this thread from now on tbh.

El Sloth

Banned
I'd say try to find out how to get Fallen Pin into 214 oki orb off of every confirm you can. It's very important as Hilda. Whenever you activate into Veil Off, do 214C then do meaty 236 special. She has some scary mixups during this. Since you're in Veil Off, you get the 20 percent damage bonus. Go for another super if you want to try and opening them up again.

I guess work on pressuring a bit better. Sometimes after you run out of buttons to use, you sometimes try to get out your next button too soon after recovering. Try to react instead to what the opponent will do to get in by walking back and then press the button. I would always either jump forward with Seth or chain shift into super to go through and start pressure because of it.
What do you mean by 236 special? 236A? I had completely forgotten 214C was even something I could do lol.

Okay. Yeah, I definitely would get impatient and then have you or Floyd landing on my head into a combo. That's gonna take some time to for me to get rid of that bad habit.

Rhapsody

Banned
What do you mean by 236 special? 236A? I had completely forgotten 214C was even something I could do lol.

Okay. Yeah, I definitely would get impatient and then have you or Floyd landing on my head into a combo. That's gonna take some time to for me to get rid of that bad habit.

Yeah, 236A. At least, if it's the quick projectile that just shoots straight forward. Just helps them stay locked down until 214C activates.

『Inaba Resident』;164319260 said:
This is the 3rd game in a row. Its 2015 and this is a triple A game published by Warner Bros. No excuse whatsoever for the netcode to be as bad as it is.
The answer is simple: NRS doesn't give a shit.

easy fatalities tho

Top Bottom