• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 18-24 | WELCOME THRILLHO

lM5rpA6.png

Uncle has come to teach us how to be better

Kreygasm

LTWheels

A common theme is that KI has received praise from pretty much all reviews is the depth of its tutorial. This seems to be something that 'normal' reviewers have been crying out for a long time in previous fighting game reviews. I watched a bit of Gamespot's stream today saw that there is even a tutorial on concepts like frame traps, cross ups, frame data and hit boxes . The guys in the studio were stoked to see that the tutorial goes into such depth.

This has earned the game brownie points with mainstream reviewers.

Horseress

Damn, we are getting packed with celebrities here huh? Alioune was right, eSports is coming fast

About the whole review topic, I think those reviewers aren't that wrong, they do it to the avarege joe who wants to have a cool looking fighter and be able to beat arcade mode a few times and beat up some friends sometimes. Us, people who are more critic about the game mechanics and frames and counting damage and tier lists and stuff, shouldn't really care about those reviews.
I would love if SRK or EH or even IPW started doing reviews of fighters FOR fighters

EDIT:
Tyler Malka @NeoGAF -94s
@AlexValleSF4 Yo Alex, glad to have you, account approved.

BIENVENIDO, TIO!

Busaiku

A common theme that KI has received praise from pretty much all reviews is the depth of its tutorial. This seems to be something that 'normal' reviewers have been crying out for a long time in previous fighting game reviews. I watched a bit of Gamespot's stream today saw that there is even a tutorial on concepts like frame traps, cross ups, frame data and hit boxes . The guys in the studio were stoked to see that the tutorial goes into such depth.

This has earned the game brownie points with mainstream reviewers.

But ArcSys games have great tutorials.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Damn, we are getting packed with celebrities here huh? Alioune was right, eSports is coming fast

About the whole review topic, I think those reviewers aren't that wrong, they do it to the avarege joe who wants to have a cool looking fighter and be able to beat arcade mode a few times and beat up some friends sometimes. Us, people who are more critic about the game mechanics and frames and counting damage and tier lists and stuff, shouldn't really care about those reviews.
I would love if SRK or EH or even IPW started doing reviews of fighters FOR fighters

EDIT:

BIENVENIDO, TIO!
But we do!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EviLore knows who Valle is? :O

Maybe static is the wrong word, but you can't review a game on what "might" come down the track. A surprise patch might add animation to MK9 but that doesn't mean you factor that in. You'll notice that the injustice review does actually factor in balance...which seems odd by comparison.

I don't know, just struck me as particularly odd. Fighting games get attacked for not having good story modes etc...when there isn't one, you would actually expect a somewhat technical review but this doesn't seem to be happening.
On one hand, I agree with you, on the other hand I definitely think it's part of the reviewer's job to inform the consumer of that stuff. You see often reviews have little notes about having already spoken to developers about issues and them saying that it's at least been acknowledged. Ultimately, that does influence how a reviewer assesses whether a game is worth it at whatever pricepoint. In the same way, it's about as odd as Minecraft reviews were when the game came out. Like, everybody and their mother and their grandkids had played it in different iterations by that point.

Balance is definitely something that should be left alone in reviews. Most reviews tend to sort of dance around the issue because it's still something your average joe wants or at least wants security about when it comes to the game they're buying, but something they can't really stamp one way or the other, just write stuff they noted (see: Arthur in MvC3)

Kumubou

KI beat them with ease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvgIMKuozZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt0XbYGhzQA

(Also is the only time you'll see the Training Stage)
KI may have a good tutorial (which is a really good thing IMO, BB's covers a lot but it also tends to gloss over a lot of things) -- but is it better than VF4:Evo's? That's still the gold standard for tutorials in a fighting game. It has a really long and in-depth system tutorial, and then lots of character-specific combos, setups and drills.

Shouta

shouta vs evilore ft100 in sfxt.

Probably free for me. Lore's better at RTS though. During Kohan-GAF days, he was number 1 because of his general macro play. I was under him in the rankings but mostly focused on micro/tactics.

Dahbomb

Enzo brings up a good point. So many of these reviews were posted without day 1 patches which for a lot of games have been substantial. Game reviewing is starting to become a more fluid process. A SFxT review now is irrelevant in the wake of the patch and that's just a small example.

It in fact leads to situations where PR companies promise that "more is coming" and they release a piece of shit day 1 so they can cash grab while they fix later. This has become a deplorable practice.

This among various other reasons have made game reviews useless to me. I still check in time to time to read reviews only to see marginal if any improvements or in some cases worse quality.

Enzo brings up a good point. So many of these reviews were posted without day 1 patches which for a lot of games have been substantial. Game reviewing is starting to become a more fluid process. A SFxT review now is irrelevant in the wake of the patch and that's just a small example.

A good point. The industry has certainly changed but by and large reviews from big sites have remained the same. That is only going to get worse with this gen.

hmmm.

Isn't DH continuing to do more with KI dependent on how well it does? I thought I read that somewhere. Not that I don't think it'll do whatever they would consider well, but I'm under the impression that support for the game isn't 100% guaranteed.

Is that good or bad? I can't tell.

That's bad.

Next you're going to tell me training mode only lets you pick the training stage.

Keits

Developer
Thank you for the support and votes, guys! Please keep them coming. This award, no matter how silly, would mean the world to me.

Kumubou

It in fact leads to situations where PR companies promise that "more is coming" and they release a piece of shit day 1 so they can cash grab while they fix later. This has become a deplorable practice.

This among various other reasons have made game reviews useless to me. I still check in time to time to read reviews only to see marginal if any improvements or in some cases worse quality.
The software itself is more fluid (for better and for worse), but at some level reviewers have to take it as it is. PR reps can promise the moon, the sun and the stars but it's just words -- the reviewer is not really going to know if the company has any intention of following through, or if updates get delayed or if the PR rep is over-promising or if the developer was sold or who knows. So if I was reviewing a standard retail game, I would take it as-is while noting what could change -- and reevaluate as changes come. It's pretty common practice for MMOs to get re-reviewed months down the line and with major expansions; I'm wondering how feasible that is for other games. The biggest issue from a business standpoint is that the vast majority of traffic for reviews on gaming sites comes at and around launch -- late reviews are effectively dead paper. I think the Day 1 patches are a bit different, and really should be delivered with the review copies (this is assuming that review copies are sent out near release and not a month or two ahead).

Dai101

Banned
Isn't DH continuing to do more with KI dependent on how well it does? I thought I read that somewhere. Not that I don't think it'll do whatever they would consider well, but I'm under the impression that support for the game isn't 100% guaranteed.

That's bad.

Next you're going to tell me training mode only lets you pick the training stage.

I think is 18 months planed, though i've never heard of it officially or if they can get even more if the games is a hit.

Now really? I thought people hated training stages for it's blandness, specially since those are the only one's you'll see in vs., high level play and tourneys. I certainly do, i'm fed with them.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Is that good or bad? I can't tell.

Considering how training mode stages have are the only ones chosen in Capcom games due to unstable framerates between stages, it's good!

Seeing nothing but training mode stage can really hurt viewership over time.

I think is 18 months planed, though i've never heard of it officially or if they can get even more if the games is a hit.

That's cool then, plenty of time to add stuff. Hopefully things work out well enough that they can go longer than that.

Now really? I thought people hated training stages for it's blandness, specially since those are the only one's you'll see in vs., high level play and tourneys. I certainly do, i'm fed with them.

"This type of stage gets picked all the time. I bet the people playing wish they didn't have the option to select it!"

Someone at DH said it, but I don't know why someone else didn't tell them it was a bad idea.

Top Bottom