• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Dreamhack Summer, APEX, LTC, Wiz World SAC, GG Rev invit

Tripon

https://twitter.com/TheN4Us/status/744632185286582277

So about the Melee being canceled at Apex thing. Somebody is claiming that M2K drank too much Redbull and is currently sick. But APEX is making him play though top 8 anyway, so this person is claiming it's a fake finals and exhibition instead.

N4Us
‏@TheN4Us
Melee cancelled at #ApexSeries2016 because the top 8 drank too much Red Bull last night. These guys need to grow up
RETWEETS
That Haku/Jin PlayerN VRoot BEER Pizza STIXJordan JonesBrewsterZastbatFilthy Axl PlayerSuper MarKevin Yatespoop butt ass MFer
1:45 PM - 19 Jun 2016
46 retweets 17 likes
Reply Retweet 46
Like 17
More

Tweet text

Reply to @TheN4Us

Mike Murray ‏@MikeADMurray 53m53 minutes ago
@TheN4Us Uh, what? So what am I watching right now?
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
N4Us ‏@TheN4Us 30m30 minutes ago
@MikeADMurray Fake finals. They forced M2K to play even though he's very ill.
0 retweets 1 like
Reply Retweet
Like 1
More
Raalts @Apex2016 ‏@_Raalts 45m45 minutes ago
@TheN4Us LOL what?

0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
N4Us ‏@TheN4Us 29m29 minutes ago
@_Raalts Just an exhibition. Not real finals
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
Elite Scruffy ‏@EliteScruffy 54m54 minutes ago
@TheN4Us @loopkick wait, what? Isn't top 8 on right now?

0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
N4Us ‏@TheN4Us 30m30 minutes ago
@EliteScruffy Nope. Sorry. They're sick.
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
Fly in any weather ‏@HakethKOTB 53m53 minutes ago
@TheN4Us What are you talking about its going on
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
N4Us ‏@TheN4Us 29m29 minutes ago
@HakethKOTB No it's not. They're forcing M2K to play for stream views even though he's ill. It's disgusting.
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
Fly in any weather ‏@HakethKOTB 16m16 minutes ago
@TheN4Us Man we need full deets in this
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
Eddy ‏@UisZtupid 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us wait is this actually a thing?! HOLY SHIT
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
N4Us ‏@TheN4Us 2h2 hours ago
@UisZtupid it really happened. Melee is cancelled at #Apex2016
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
Eddy ‏@UisZtupid 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us That's too much thuggery even for me holy shit. xD
0 retweets 1 like
Reply Retweet
Like 1
More
Wild Wallace ‏@Wild_Wallace 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us wait... really?
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
View other replies
N4Us ‏@TheN4Us 2h2 hours ago
@Wild_Wallace Yes. It's cancelled.
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
Wild Wallace ‏@Wild_Wallace 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us spectacular
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
JasonRiotX ‏@JasonRiotX 1h1 hour ago
@TheN4Us @sonnywortzik LOL
0 retweets 1 like
Reply Retweet
Like 1
More
Mehul Patel ‏@ItsMayho 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us LOL

Elite Scruffy ‏@EliteScruffy 30m30 minutes ago
@TheN4Us you almost got me

Filthy Axl Player ‏@RensenSK 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us what a bunch of children. What next, cancel due to not enough sleep ?
0 retweets 0 likes

Brian Bayot ☆ ‏@KogashiwaKai 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us wait WAHT?
0 retweets 0 likes

Tara Carter ‏@Tonwuka 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us haha.

Kevin Yates ‏@_Panoptic 2h2 hours ago
@TheN4Us wat

N4Us

https://twitter.com/TheN4Us/status/744632185286582277

So about the Melee being canceled at Apex thing. Somebody is claiming that M2K drank too much Redbull and is currently sick. But APEX is making him play though top 8 anyway, so this person is claiming it's a fake finals and exhibition instead.

Okay, let me explain this:

I was sent a really disturbing message from the NorCal scene last night that the top 8 Melee players were all having a 'Red Bull Chug' contest. Sounded like it got too out of control and they were getting incredibly ill. M2K tweeted out early this morning that he was so sick that he "couldn't even hold his Gamecube controller" but it was deleted within seconds. Apparently MVG was really upset at him over this and were threatening action if he didn't go out and play today.

So, it went on. Technically. They're all pretty messed up. You can tell from the play. I found it really disgusting that all these players were dragged out up there to play "for the stream viewers" when it was ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that they could not. M2K looked like he was about to vomit when he was doing those Sheik buffers. This isn't a good look for the Melee scene, MVG, or Apex. Everybody screwed up here, and if they don't get their act together before EVO, I think it's bad news. Bring on Punchtime Explosion!

Tripon

Next week is CEO and that is the only major tournament happening. Somebody else will be making the thread (likely Panda unless somebody beats him to it). I'm taking a break!

I was sent a really disturbing message from the NorCal scene last night that the top 8 Melee players were all having a 'Red Bull Chug' contest. Sounded like it got too out of control and they were getting incredibly ill. M2K tweeted out early this morning that he was so sick that he "couldn't even hold his Gamecube controller" but it was deleted within seconds. Apparently MVG was really upset at him over this and were threatening action if he didn't go out and play today.

So, it went on. Technically. They're all pretty messed up. You can tell from the play. I found it really disgusting that all these players were dragged out up there to play "for the stream viewers" when it was ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that they could not. M2K looked like he was about to vomit when he was doing those Sheik buffers. This isn't a good look for the Melee scene, MVG, or Apex. Everybody screwed up here, and if they don't get their act together before EVO, I think it's bad news. Bring on Punchtime Explosion!

Sounds to me like the only people who screwed up were the players. You expect a major tournament to cancel an entire top 8 because the players drank freaking Red Bull? You expect a sponsor to be OK that the player who is there on their dime would rather take a paid vacation than play the game they are obligated to play?

Hyun Sai

All of this is on the players. I can't blame MVG on this.

N4Us

Sounds to me like the only people who screwed up were the players. You expect a major tournament to cancel an entire top 8 because the players drank freaking Red Bull? You expect a sponsor to be OK that the player who is there on their dime would rather take a paid vacation than play the game they are obligated to play?

I don't agree with what M2K or the others did. However, its rubs me the wrong way that they were dragged up there and forced to play when they should've been resting, or even taken to a hospital. Melee stream monster culture forces players to play when they're not ready to. M2K needed to rest, not to Ftilt.

All of this is on the players. I can't blame MVG on this.

But shouldn't MVG know when their brightest player is having the most stressed day of his life? Five bucks says he's probably puking on the plane back home. I actually felt really bad watching these guys up there who clearly didn't want to.

I don't agree with what M2K or the others did. However, its rubs me the wrong way that they were dragged up there and forced to play when they should've been resting, or even taken to a hospital. Melee stream monster culture forces players to play when they're not ready to. M2K needed to rest, not to Ftilt.

Don't enter the tournament if you can't finish playing it. When you enter, you are committing to see it through. The people behind Apex, or any major tournament staff, put a huge amount of work, preparation, and investment into these events. They have financial outlays and obligations to sponsors. I would challenge you to find one tournament director who thinks it would be OK to outright cancel a top 8 in this situation.

But shouldn't MVG know when their brightest player is having the most stressed day of his life? Five bucks says he's probably puking on the plane back home. I actually felt really bad watching these guys up there who clearly didn't want to.

He did it to himself. When you take a paycheck in exchange for playing games, it becomes a job. With a job becomes responsibilities. Pounding Red Bulls does not absolve you of those responsibilities. They probably told M2K they're not in the business of sponsoring players who can't be trusted to finish a tournament and he came to his senses.

And, I don't even follow Smash, and I know that M2K has his most stressed day of his life about 50x a year. Whatever he said about his condition, the reality was probably about half as severe.

Top Bottom