• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Online announced. PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! Art Director Yoshida!

Kosma

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
Will require a PS3 free Beta or something to hook me in. I have never played an MMO before, so will require a pool to dip my toes in before even contemplating paying a monthly charge for one.

You know you get the 1st month free with every MMO right?

eggandI

Banned
Sonos said:
we know a good deal about gameplay from these "retarded" clips and hints on SE's FXIV NA Homepage discussed in dozens of pages on this thread.

Gameplay seemed straightforward to me. Just like XI but we can all expect some tweaks. Hopefully good ones.

Hints, clips of people who didn't know what they were doing for most of the 15 mins they played. Not much to go on really. The general gameplay doesn't seem to be anything crazy or revolutionary (neither did I expect it to be) but what matters imo are the actual game mechanics. Combat system which from what it seems, is not auto-attack based and gives the player the ability to hit certain body parts and do things like put up your shield to receive less damage.

The skill up system, stats, etc. Bunch of other stuff that we don't have any concrete info about which really impact the gameplay. I just think people are too quick to call !!!!FFXI-2!!!!. Not that that's anything bad but yea.

Sonos

Banned
TAJ said:
I do think that the clips are stupid, but mostly because they seem to be of people who have never played FFXI before. Like in one, the gladiator is letting a mob wail on him from behind. Anyone who's touched FFXI would know to move so that all the mobs were in front of them. (for shield and parry, but mostly shield)

well most of the people playing the game now are members of the press (the clips we've seen) so they probably dont know how to play. That's okay though. I want this game to be accessible because personally I'd like for it to have 15 Million subs and bring lolwow back in style as a meme. it needs to have pick up and play appeal to do this so I wouldnt expect everyone to know how to blinktank from day 1.

out with the old in with new so to speak. to do that it needs to be very good.

Sonos

Banned
eggandI said:
Hints, clips of people who didn't know what they were doing for most of the 15 mins they played. Not much to go on really. The general gameplay doesn't seem to be anything crazy or revolutionary (neither did I expect it to be) but what matters imo are the actual game mechanics. Combat system which from what it seems, is not auto-attack based and gives the player the ability to hit certain body parts and do things like put up your shield to receive less damage.

The skill up system, stats, etc. Bunch of other stuff that we don't have any concrete info about which really impact the gameplay. I just think people are too quick to call !!!!FFXI-2!!!!. Not that that's anything bad but yea.

I'm a junior member as well but I've been in this thread long enough to recognize the people here to know they aren't hostile by calling it XI-2 (I did) we are just waxing poetic. Just talking about our impressions of the game is all. Most of them are very positive that I've seen.

Kintaro said:
Yeah, well. Nothing we can do about that. Most anyone covering this game didn't play FFXI. Those that did, I expect to hear a lot of "pretty familiar" type of impressions.

Yeah like those gametrailers impressions.

"The controls were pretty similar to FFXI, players of the game will be familiar with how to control the character.

OH WTF WHY DO I HAVE TO HIT TAB TO SELECT ENEMIES THIS IS STUPID."

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well, you can select a mob... even lock onto it in FFXI without engaging, but it does sound annoying if it has to involve extra steps.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This makes me kind of wish SE would have shown off the game themselves in a more controlled manner. It would have gotten the more important points across much better. Still got time though.

Awntawn

Sounds to me that like they're using the gamepad targeting method with keyboard and mouse.

Should have brought a couple of pads for the demo ;p

Teknoman

Snoodaard said:
Why? They gave the players overpowered characters and it still took 3 hits to kill one low-lvl mob.

Just from the movements probably. The fluid motions make it seem more action..y.

EDIT: Bet we get more impressions before the week is out, especially since they have a presentation every so often. Then theres the Q and A things.

It's the way you say that FFXIII is X-2-2. It's one thing to say that you feel that it's an evolution or similar to X-2 in terms of battle system. But its another thing to say that XIII is "basically" X-2. Chose your words better instead a general statement. That's why it sounded stupid.

StuBurns

Banned
VindicatorZ said:
It's the way you say that FFXIII is X-2-2. It's one thing to say that you feel that it's an evolution or similar to X-2 in terms of battle system. But its another thing to say that XIII is "basically" X-2. Chose your words better instead a general statement. That's why it sounded stupid.
It was in the context of discussing game design evolution. Read more carefully instead.

Kintaro

Awntawn said:
Sounds to me that like they're using the gamepad targeting method with keyboard and mouse.

Should have brought a couple of pads for the demo ;p

Should have been playing the game on some slim PS3s. Hmmm...

Kintaro

Ravidrath said:
I'm going to use this to start a rumor that the PS3 version has been cancelled!

Well, ever notice no one shows off PS3 versions of games at these things? Even when it is, so far, the only console to feature it? I figured with slim PS3's coming out party, sony/SE would use PS3s. <shrugs> No big.

Vesper73

Graphically, I am ultimately hoping for a couple of things:

1) Very long draw distance. I want to stand on high hill and see for miles down into the valley. But just as important as the long draw distance, is the ability to go to places you see without any barrier, (within reason of course).

2) Realtime shadows across ALL surfaces. More specifically, shadows being cast by buildings as well as characters/npcs.

For my part, I'll be playing this game on a brand spankin new PS3 slim, (unless the PC version is required for shadows on all surfaces).

I must say, this is my #1 look forward to MMO right now!

...now if only they have the Diabolos server again!!

Kosma

Banned
About the draw distance, it's pretty much up to the PC you have.

It seems they are using DOF for the further parts or am I just seeing things?

Vesper73

It's definitely doable, just comes down to engine priorites. Any of you play Asheron's Call back in the day? I swear, you could crank up the draw distance to like five miles!

stuburns said:
It was in the context of discussing game design evolution. Read more carefully instead.

Even within the context of that discussion, it's such a massive generalization to say that FFXIII is "basically" X-2-2, even in terms of just battle system. We know not even 10% of the total battle system of FFXIII, and what is known could hardly be called "basically" X-2-2.

FFXIV will obviously be a continuation of XI. XIII has nothing to do with X-2, whereas FFXIV is basically the sequel to XI.

StuBurns

Banned
VindicatorZ said:
Even within the context of that discussion, it's such a massive generalization to say that FFXIII is "basically" X-2-2, even in terms of just battle system. We know not even 10% of the total battle system of FFXIII, and what is known could hardly be called "basically" X-2-2.

FFXIV will obviously be a continuation of XI. XIII has nothing to do with X-2, whereas FFXIV is basically the sequel to XI.
The fact is, other people understood, you're butthurt because you can't read.

And we've seen a lot more of FFXIII than we have of FFXIV.

Kosma

Banned
261hvk8.jpg

What do you guys say? DOF? Or real draw distance?

careksims

Finally saw the vid... I wants it now :O This is the MMO I'm going to be sticking with for a loooong time :D Looks so good! The draw distance!

eggandI

Banned
Teknoman said:
Why? Crystal Tools is probably more than capable of doing that. Or do you mean that its just background imagery and you wont be able to explore that far?

I mean just looking at the images, it looks pretty doable.

Yeah I don't think we'll be able to explore that far. I think the guy from ffxivcore mentioned something about there being invisible walls.

Teknoman

eggandI said:
Yeah I don't think we'll be able to explore that far. I think the guy from ffxivcore mentioned something about there being invisible walls.

Eh thats probably just for this build. I'm sure most of the buildings we'll be able to approach (just like in FFXI). Further out then that, they'll probably have "natural barriers".

Now what im really hoping for is that the buildings will have basements/hidden items inside like standard FF games...especially since they want to make it "the best FF game ever". Oh and of course, being able to see monsters or players from really far away.

Sonos

Banned
eggandI said:

he did but it was a 15 minute demo on an alpha. :|

it seems you want this game to be bad. Shoo.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Friend of mine who played said the controls were the biggest hindrance of the demo. Targeting an enemy, attacking etc. Otherwise the game has some bad framerate issues but looks amazing. Sounds like typical alpha build stuff. Can't wait to get a full description of the battle mechanics.

eggandI

Banned
Haha it just had me wondering cause I played the AoC early beta and that was full of invisible walls and people thought it would change before release and it didn't. Of course I'm not saying it'll be the same for XIV but :p

Kintaro

I would need to see direct videos of the draw distance to tell. It did look a bit "faked" but the video quality sucked.

Kosma

Banned
yeah its hard to tell, but if you look at the little rock in the right top corner you can def see textures and lines on it, but the whole mountain range just beyond the line I drew looks devoid of that and looks like DOF.

Kosma

Banned
I think maybe someone should make a new thread for this game, you know someone who will update the OP so that new folks can get the info, because this thread is a clusterfuck right now for anyone remotely interested and not up to speed.

Teknoman

Kosma said:
I think maybe someone should make a new thread for this game, you know someone who will update the OP so that new folks can get the info, because this thread is a clusterfuck right now for anyone remotely interested and not up to speed.

Yeah shouldnt we be able to make an FFXIV something something in Eorzea hype thread?

Have the initial information followed by what was learned/ seen at gamescon, as well as concept art and website captures?

I'd do it, but dunno if thats allowed.

Kyzer

Banned
Kintaro said:
why didn't you get into FFXI? Did you try before hand? The answers may be the key to knowing if you'll like this one or not.

Okay, poor diction. Let me re-phrase myself.

I never even tried FFXI.

Kosma

Banned
You could make a FFXIV information compilation and discussion thread. That could replace this one, the updating shouldnt be too much of a chore and I think it should be fine.

Khrno

Well you know, when people is out here 'camping for news' on events days to be the first ones to create a thread on such topics like this thread's creator, well, it's rather hard to have something decent.

But the best thing would be for someone to create a similar thread like Kagari's XIII thread about FNC games and media.

It could basically have a similar title, and include all the info from the E3, from the updated website, and from whatever interviews we get in the next few days.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kosma said:
You could make a FFXIV information compilation and discussion thread. That could replace this one, the updating shouldnt be too much of a chore and I think it should be fine.

Constanza posted the OP and bailed out :lol

Khrno

Kagari said:
Constanza posted the OP and bailed out :lol

Kagari!

We need you! We know you are more hyped about XIII, but still you are our FF goddess, so please bless us with some love and a new Eorzea thread!

Kosma

Banned
Exactly, I don't think Costanza ever foresaw this thread becoming so huge too. A new thread would really be good for the future because imagine this thread limping along for another year with all the info being scattered for newcomers :S

Khrno

The new thread could have all the info from the E3, GC, TGS and any other info until release of course before the official thread is made.

And for the beta another one could be made as well to just discuss the things going on inside the game and not the news themselves.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Khrno said:
Kagari!

We need you! We know you are more hyped about XIII, but still you are our FF goddess, so please bless us with some love and a new Eorzea thread!

I can do it. I'll just need to gather all the information and what not.

Top Bottom