• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 15 and Final Fantasy VS13 comparison

Jashobeam

Just look at all the details in the hair for each character right at the beginning in car scene. It animates and everything, totally unnecessary but looks damn good.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think i was stunned the most about Stella's render in the new trailer. Even with all the flaws in the model, that makes it even more impressive! We've actually gotten to that point, where we can, even if only in limited scenarios such at cutscenes, render a full approximation of visual works CG models in real time on consumer level hardware and have it actually work!

And people said we wouldn't reach CG quality this gen...The order, this and Uncharted 4 say nay

Dereck

final-fantasy-15.png

Are you sure this is a real time in-game model and not a CGI? i find it hard to believe.
We've come this far, get ready.

schlynch

Luna/Stellar/whatever looks really off. Better textures and shaders, more polys, but as lifeless as the 2006 version. Hope this was wip and rushed for the trailer. Looked pretty dull in motion. The landscape on the other hand... nicesh.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think i was stunned the most about Stella's render in the new trailer. Even with all the flaws in the model, that makes it even more impressive! We've actually gotten to that point, where we can, even if only in limited scenarios such at cutscenes, render a full approximation of visual works CG models in real time on consumer level hardware and have it actually work!

And people said we wouldn't reach CG quality this gen...The order, this and Uncharted 4 say nay

Holy shit, I believe I'm reading about PS2 and FF8 dance scene tech demo. I must have found a way to post in past NeoGAF.

Hello guys in the past, if you want stock market info or information on natural disasters that are going to happen in the future pm me.

Seanspeed

Banned
Honestly I was under the impression the game hadn't changed much from the original footage because what I remember seeing back then looked really good... but god damn I wasn't expecting this much of a jump.
I swear this is what's happening 90% of the time somebody says they're not impressed with some new game's graphics.

can we stop referring to pre-rendered stuff as cgi? everything in a video game is cgi.

Yes please, it's confusing.

PS Impressed that SE actually (reasonably) delivers on the promises of its pre-rendered gameplay trailer. Was expecting a watch dogs type of development. The skin looks really subsurfacy.

Dark_castle

what the hell happened to the UI? it's totally empty now

Probably because the trailer was made to showcase the exploration bit and less on fighting, which is why they disable the UI for the most part. It's not finalized too, I can tell.

fedexpeon

Banned
The game has actually improved visually, but I'm worried about these huge empty areas.

It works for Xenoblade.
The environment designs and musics need to be top-notch though to make sure those empty spaces are immersive and fun for the player to explore around in them.

ViciousDS

Banned
It works for Xenoblade.
The environment designs and musics need to be top-notch though to make sure those empty spaces are immersive and fun for the player to explore around in them.

ditto, if the environments are breathtaking.....I would take my time walking through them. Wasn't an issue for Xenoblade.....don't see why Square can't make it happen with an engine that looks this good.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Colors are better in that outside shot on PS3. Hoping that's just because of the environments.

The PS3 shot looks more saturated but thats not necessarily a good thing. The green in the PS4 shot seems like it could be brightened a bit but it may just be the environment. If the trailer is any indication, they're not averse to using strong colors.

The game has actually improved visually, but I'm worried about these huge empty areas.

I doubt they will all be like that. I mean if they are looking to emulate an arid landscape, it very much looks pretty accurate to places I have been to in northern Chile.

The graphics engine reminds me somewhat of what they are using for Driveclub funnily enough. Great sense of scale, lighting and modelling. This and Witcher 3 are my two most wanted games along with Uncharted 4.

Who designed the terrible hair? You can see everything looks so good and yet the hairstyles are laughably bad in a way that they stick out like a sore thumb.

fedexpeon

Banned
Who designed the terrible hair? You can see everything looks so good and yet the hairstyles are laughably bad in a way that they stick out like a sore thumb.

Nah man, you got to look at their shoes.
Fricken RED BOTTOM!
All dress classy in black...then boom, red.

BasilZero

Dat jump looks great.

Cant wait to get this game :)

Edit: I thought it was confirmed that both Stella and Luna are two different characters o.o? Guess not.

I really, really do not like the more realistic, boring, bland look of the FFXV outer environments. I really wish there was more "fantasy" to it, and it didn't feel like I'm playing Red Dead Redemption.

sublimit

Banned
So I saw an article that took a few shots from VS13's original trailers and compared them to the new TGS trailer for 15. I wasn't really paying attention to VS13 back then since I never played a FF game before. But after playing 10 and 7 getting a feel for the series, I decided to start paying more attention to 15.

Honestly I was under the impression the game hadn't changed much from the original footage because what I remember seeing back then looked really good... but god damn I wasn't expecting this much of a jump.

final-fantasy-versus-13.jpg

VS13

final-fantasy-15-ps4.png

I actually prefer how the trees look in the PS3 version.In XV they look very flat and there's too much copy pasta.

Myths

I really, really do not like the more realistic, boring, bland look of the FFXV outer environments. I really wish there was more "fantasy" to it, and it didn't feel like I'm playing Red Dead Redemption.
I said this in the other thread as well, but I vastly prefer the filter(s) and color tone Versus XIII.

Percy

Banned
Am I dreaming too big here, or is this game seriously going to (at least partly) be about a Japanese boy band having a road trip through an FF open world in their pimped out ride? The idea alone is weirdly exciting to me.

If it is, I'm probably just an FFX-2 "Real Emotion" style intro sequence away from forgiving the past 8 years of bullshit around this game completely.

Myths

We know there will be, but we're strictly speaking about the trailers for the topic. 2013 > 2011 > 2014 in terms of what appealed more to me visually.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Am I dreaming too big here, or is this game seriously going to (at least partly) be about a Japanese boy band having a road trip through an FF open world in their pimped out ride? The idea alone is weirdly exciting to me.
Yes.

Sanpunkan

I actually prefer how the trees look in the PS3 version.In XV they look very flat and there's too much copy pasta.

The trees in the new trailer look like they were procedurally generated. I think there is a middleware for that. Pretty sure an Elder Scrolls game has used it. Would not be surprised if FFXV is using it too.

Andrefpvs

I for one think Stella has never looked better (if that's her). Her eyes make her look wiser instead of just being another Nomura cute face.

After all the redesigns she went through, which had me worried, I'll be very glad if this is the one they settle with.

gundalf

The trees in the new trailer look like they were procedurally generated. I think there is a middleware for that. Pretty sure an Elder Scrolls game has used it. Would not be surprised if FFXV is using it too.

From the looks, old FFversus13 seemed to be using SpeedTree already, so no change on that department. Oh and btw, nearly every Game uses SpeedTree, its up to the Artist how the Trees and Bushes look.

Peltz

Every time a new FF game comes out, I think "I REALLY need to get into this series." But then, I try games like FFIV, FFVI, and FFIX and the same thing happens every time:

I get about 20 hours in and quit for whatever reason. And this new footage always makes me feel like an RPG failure, just like the new footage for FFXIII did last gen.

GAF, there is reallly nothing else like seeing new footage of Final Fantasy on the latest hardware. It actually makes me wish I was a different type of gamer. There really is some magical artwork in FF games.

Edit: Hopefully my current playthrough of Xenoblade snaps my current JRPG-quit streak. It's the first one in quite a while to capture me in the way that it has.

Top Bottom