• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 producer Naoki Yoshida has reportedly said it would be better for developers and players alike if there was just a single game platfo

Doom85

Do you think a switch could seriously run RE7 and control?

Kingdom hearts before 3 was a ps2 game using ps2 assets. Every game in the franchise ran on exponentially weaker hardware than the switch. This was totally a Squenix thing. Cloud makes more sense in Japan when every part of the (small) island is coated in high speed internet. Not so much for big old USA and Europe where there's more rural areas

Not what the post this is all came from was about. The idea that SE would pick Nintendo to be their exclusive pick. Final Fantasy XVI, even if it’s not the strongest PS5 game in terms of graphics and such, would not play on a Switch except MAYBE via Cloud.

And Square would be fools to burn bridges with the US and European markets purely to focus on what the Japanese market wants. Ignoring Sony (and to a lesser extent, Microsoft) and going all in on Nintendo would be a terrible idea.

Dynasty8

That certainly explains why FFXVI was a technical masterpiece.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Woopah

Not what the post this is all came from was about. The idea that SE would pick Nintendo to be their exclusive pick. Final Fantasy XVI, even if it’s not the strongest PS5 game in terms of graphics and such, would not play on a Switch except MAYBE via Cloud.

And Square would be fools to burn bridges with the US and European markets purely to focus on what the Japanese market wants. Ignoring Sony (and to a lesser extent, Microsoft) and going all in on Nintendo would be a terrible idea.
I agree that they should still develop for PS and XB, but it's not like Switch is only what Japan wants.

Psssh, fat chance of that shit.

Square: All right, Nintendo, we’ve decided you’re the only console we’re supporting from now on. Here’s Final Fantasy XVI.
Nintendo: Thank you! This will make for a great Cloud game to stream on Switch!
Square: …I’m sorry, did you say “stream”?
Nintendo: Well, yeah. We can’t even get Kingdom Hearts HD to just be a cartridge/download, you think we can handle this title?
Square:

Arrested Development Mistake GIF
Your thinking of this is way off. Imagine Square being exclusive to Nintendo systems.

Now they can cut the budgets in half or to 1/3rd of what they need to make a game because they aren’t working on a 4k machine, which means FF17 and FF16 pocket edition would both make a good profit for them. That sounds like a win/win for them.

Doom85

Your thinking of this is way off. Imagine Square being exclusive to Nintendo systems.

Now they can cut the budgets in half or to 1/3rd of what they need to make a game because they aren’t working on a 4k machine, which means FF17 and FF16 pocket edition would both make a good profit for them. That sounds like a win/win for them.

Nintendo’s too unpredictable a company for that to be a safe bet IMHO.

Yes, everyone is expecting “Switch 2”, but this company has been known for making bizarre choices with quite a few of their systems. Imagine if Square makes a full exclusivity deal with Nintendo, then finds out later the next gen’s system is an out of left field “who the hell asked for this?” blunder like the Wii U’s design. Now their games are being forced to release only for a system with a 10-20 million userbase.

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

Sony‘s biggest blunder was the PS3 announcement/launch, and even then they recovered in the second half of that gen. They’re a far safer bet. Not saying SE go full exclusive with them entirely, but it makes no sense to turn away from the company that makes logical business decisions and keeps a consistently high user base each gen.

You all need to stop letting the Switch’s massive success blind you to the possible future. I hope Nintendo hits another home run with their next system, but we can’t sit here and pretend certain prior Nintendo gens weren’t major fumbles for the company in terms of userbase numbers.

As for blaming the budget, come on. Capcom is hitting it out of the park with their IPs and sales and only Monster Hunter is their one major IP which launches new titles on Switch (so on launch, we’re not talking later ports). If Square can’t manage their budget versus reasonable expected sales, that’s on them and not the hardware. Capcom delivers solid looking games and make their money back, so clearly it’s double on Playstation and Xbox.

Dis

I don't understand the "drama" people are getting out of this comment.

I see his point through a game's developer point of view. Not one of PR, shareholder, or hardware manufactorer, etc.

I imagine that if you are making a game and you want the most amount of people to experience it, the ideal scenario is to have the least amount of resistance to make that happen. Resistance like having to deal with multiple companies, optmizing for different APIs, different hardware limitations, certifications, etc. Some of those are limitations that must bleed into the designing process of a videogame early on. It must be annoying having so much ambition and cool ideas, but having to cut them short many times, because of those limitations that eat away budget and time, complicating things even further, because they don't work alone and have to answer to other people with other priorities within their companies and probably even outside (contracts and whatnot).

It's just wishful thinking of someone who makes games. Nothing more. He's not out to eliminate your favourite gaming platform...

When you put it that way i love him even more.

This was always a fantasy of mine to just have one console when I was younger. As somebody who buys them all, it would save me so much money If I had to buy just one system and one online sub but then I grew up and realized that it wouldn't save me money because without competition that console would cost more than the three combined now.

Not really. You would still compete as a 3rd party to make sure you release the best games and make people spend money on your product, not the competitor’s.

Right now platform holders do not offer any meaningful hardware advantage.

Xbox “power of the cloud” = lies
PlayStation “SSD magic” = lies

So what happened is you are left with them moneyhatting different games. You as a customer have no say.
It's got nothing to do with a hardware advantage.

Real, authentic competition has healthy consequences for any industry.

Monopolies over the long term have never been a good thing unless the company owners have a high degree of integrity.

Hell, even in industries with only two different offerings it can highlight the lack of competition.

I would absolutely love to only have to buy a single platform for all my gaming needs but that just is never going to happen unless the PC becomes the dominant format and Sony and Nintendo become software publishers only for the platform.

lachesis

I actually wish HW are so different from each other, so that dev teams are forced to come up with something unique and creative for each platform or just don't dev for one.
Too many games are same and comparable on different platforms. I want something unique.

So in Yoshida's case.. just develop for one system. Problem solved.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Convenient is not better. Being convenient rarely leads to being better. Games on mobile are more convenient, easily accessible, cheaper, but are they better? No. In fact, most of the time convenient means worse.

As a dev, it's definitely convenient if there was just one platform, but, overall it would not be better.

YukiOnna

Not quite sure how IGN made an entire article out of it b/c he just said it lightly. Seen the clip myself.

He is just eating dinner & chilling:

Last edited:
Top Bottom