• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naoki Yoshida: Final Fantasy 16 PC players should consider an SSD "a must"

FF16---Clive-extreme-close-up.png

PC players planning to play Final Fantasy 16 should consider an SSD "a must".

That's according to the MMO's producer/director Naoki Yoshida, who told Famitsu that even though the team will attempt to optimise the game as much as possible "using the HDD would be a pain".
"Details will be announced in due course. However, I would like you to prepare an SSD," Yoshida said when asked what kind of specs the PC version will demand (thanks, PCGN).

"Even if we did our best to adjust the GPU, in FF16 – a game where loading speed is critical – using the HDD would be a pain.

"Of course, we will do our best to optimise as much as possible," Yoshida added, "but we cannot overcome the hardware barrier alone, so please consider that an SSD is a must. We will announce the exact recommended specifications on another occasion."

Edellus

That is expected, no? Are there still current gen AAA games that can run with hard drives?

Also, hopefully when PC version is released it comes with FSR2+ support and the PS5 version is also updated to support it. I would really like to replay it in performance mode without such high a hit to IQ.

squarealex

We needed how much people playing games with HDD or SSD Sata with Steam Hardware Spec info

M.2 nVME grow up, but I pretty sure, many people still playing (including myself) with SATA

Last edited:
The game is a waste of time, but the SSD part is true for almost all games in my opinion. Load times are insignificant on them and that's more than enough for me without even thinking about the other benefits.

I remember buying BF4 on PC and it taking almost 2 minutes to load a map on my HDD. Put it on the SSD and it was done within 20-30 seconds.

Yoshi-P has a track record of going out of his way to accommodate the maximum number of users possible on whatever platforms his games are releasing on, even those who are using hardware that is long outdated. It's a noble sentiment, but SSD is pretty much the standard nowadays, so I doubt there will be very much fuss over this.

Bojji

That is expected, no? Are there still current gen AAA games that can run with hard drives?

Also, hopefully when PC version is released it comes with FSR2+ support and the PS5 version is also updated to support it. I would really like to replay it in performance mode without such high a hit to IQ.

Dlss please.

Killer8

Minimum hard drive requirements are absolutely fair, just like any other PC component. Will never understand the whining about it.

The only folks lamenting from this will be the ones bitching about XMP instructions.

That said, I have no interest in this game due to the combat. Although, I'm sure ff7Rebirth will be no different. The SSD part, that is.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
He probably meant m.2/NVMe SSD. Many people with old hardware still use Sata SSD.

I have both in my PC and I imagine a lot if not most people with SSDs are still using SATA because in most cases it's just as quick or near enough. He only said to use SSD rather than HDD. (Just as quick at loading things I mean, not in benchmarks.)

Last edited:
I would be surprised if any PC gamers who had hardware powerful enough to actually consider running FFXVI were still using HDD's at this point.

LRKD

I'm still holding on upgrading my drives lol, most games it really wasn't required until this last year, and even then, most games didn't. I think DD2 will be the game to finally get me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

T4keD0wN

Pretty sure ssd is considered a must to run any current operating system, what a redundant thing for eurogamer to turn into an article.

Last edited:

fersnake

hdd needs to die already, if we really want going fordward nvme's are the future and long side direct storage.

fersnake

Nah, HDDs are good for mass cheap storage. Gotta save my GOG library somewhere.
well for storage maybe, i still have my 4tb hdd for old stuff that i literally dont use hehe but for gaming they need to stop being held back for that old tech.

Buggy Loop

It is weird that people are mocking a pretty reasonable hardware recommendation to run a demanding game properly. Stop looking for things to be indignant about.

It’s just that it’s been so long I’ve been running SSDs on PC that I think we were back at FF12 on consoles

Adam Driver GIF by Sony Pictures

But cute concern out of Square-Enix

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
FF16 is MMO on PC? Are we getting some type of GTA Online multiplayer addon? PC baby!!!

Last edited:
Can someone please answer a question for me? During the big Kaiju battles, is there war type stuff going on at the same time, or is it just the big eikona fighting? For sone reason during the hype phase I got the impression that the fights took place with lots of background warfare going on, which was what made the scope feel big and cool, but the bit of video I saw seemed like just 2 monsters throwing scripted attacks at one another periodically

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its good for backups and random files as its cheap extra space. Not to mention it runs older games just fine.
I have 4tb backup drive but I don’t want that shit zoning and making noise. I only connect it when I need it. It’s usb3 drive

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can someone please answer a question for me? During the big Kaiju battles, is there war type stuff going on at the same time, or is it just the big eikona fighting? For sone reason during the hype phase I got the impression that the fights took place with lots of background warfare going on, which was what made the scope feel big and cool, but the bit of video I saw seemed like just 2 monsters throwing scripted attacks at one another periodically
No. You just fight few monster and then crazy dragon ball eikon.
Way Battles are cutscene

Top Bottom