• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi-P doesn't expect a Final Fantasy 16 sequel or spin-off, says the team has moved onto new projects

Draugoth

Gold Member
qoiQB2qSEHANzKzM6oJ4Da-970-80.jpg.webp

Final Fantasy 16’s core development crew have moved on from the project and aren’t expecting to work on a direct follow-up, according to the game’s producer.

Producer Naoki “Yoshi-P” Yoshida recently said as much in an interview with Famitsu: “The development team for [Final Fantasy 16] has been disbanded apart from the main DLC team, so at the least, we are not expecting to make a sequel or spin-off.”

Yoshi-P explains that the team “accumulated a lot of knowledge” while building the world of Valisthea and would rather “work on the next title or consider a new challenge” - rather than add to Final Fantasy 16 “forever.” The much-loved producer does leave the door slightly ajar, though: “If you ask me if there will be anything related to FF16 in the future, I don’t know. Since I don't know what will happen, I'd rather not say anything definite.”

Source

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
They tried really hard to make an adult game and they did it in the first few hours but then it just turns into exactly as you'd expect of a final fantasy game, trash. Awesome cinematic boss fights and pretty good gameplay but jesus fuck was everything else bad. Story became lol, side quests are one of the worst you can possibly imagine, exploration is horribly linear and tedious, etc.

SenkiDala

Smells like cut content.
Well there's a "new" dungeon to be honest, but it looks like all the others and I just started it but it was just about fighting the same ennemies again and again and again so I got tired of it. I watched reviews saying that yes, that new dungeon, is what that DLC is all about.

On the trailer the 2nd DLC looked better but... I won't expect too much this time.

hinch7

Good. Liked the story in its own right, so good call. Need more self contained FF's and less sequels and/or expansions. Especially as those that take years to produce, and for us.. years to wait and play. And generally there's way less interest in direct sequels. Bring on FF XVII.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

They always said it was a one and done entry well before release. No other media tie ins and that the story would conclude in one entry.

Doom85

New York Comedy GIF by HULU

Hopefully the next main entry will be one where the RPG elements matter, exploration gives you something besides way too many crafting materials, dungeons aren’t corridors, the lead’s story isn’t way too similar to that of a certain Tales lead (and done better in the Tales game), etc.

Music was good (even if not best of the year, but eh, I’ll let them have it), so they at least got that right.

Edellus

Hopefully the Rising Tides DLC is hefty like Blood and Wine DLC from The Witcher 3. If so, I'll be more than satisfied with FFXVI.

I would too like for them to move on. I want to see another mainline FF from that team. Their first attempt was pretty good, IMO. They just need to improve upon a few weak points.

I'm ready for FF7 Rebirth, FFXIV Dawn trail and I'm looking forward to what FFXVII could be.

It's a great time to be a FF fan.

Ozzie666

I would rather they re-create the entire game in 16/32 bit 2D pixel art and bring back actual parties, turn based play and traditional air ship. I think it would translate beautifully. I would settle for the Secret of Mana enginge if they needed to retain the action combat.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Coming from someone who loved FFXVI, this is much preferable.
I'm generally not a fan of how FF was managed in the past with sequels and spinoffs spanning an entire console generation like FFXIII, and its offshoots.

I do wonder if CBU3 will be working on FFXVII or if it will be another team entirely, considering they're busy with FFXIV Dawntrail as well.
I'd imagine CBU1 will wrap up the FFVII Remake trilogy, with Nomura having split roles between that and Kingdom Hearts IV.
Either way, getting FFXVII before the generation closes out would be pretty cool.

Good. I wish more devs would take the "not every game needs a sequel" approach.

That said, I highly doubt their reasons for moving on are altruistic. This is Square Enix we're talking about - you'd best believe they'd have been all-in on sequels if the game sold as well as VII Remake. Even FFXIII had two sequels, FFS.

Deft Beck

Good. I wish more devs would take the "not every game needs a sequel" approach.

That said, I highly doubt their reasons for moving on are altruistic. This is Square Enix we're talking about - you'd best believe they'd have been all-in on sequels if the game sold as well as VII Remake. Even FFXIII had two sequels, FFS.

To be fair, FFXIII was always intended to be a franchise. VII Remake was always planned to be a trilogy and part of the overall Compilation franchise. FFXV was planned as a franchise, as well.

The fact that we got FFXVI and it is a standalone game with no supplementary material or extended universe shit is refreshing. It is a single, high-budget tentpole game.

That kind of thing is very rare these days. Usually, due to sheer cost, these types of games must be built to scale and expand endlessly in all directions.

If FFXVI was more successful, then yes, we would've seen a movie, an anime, and more announced. But it's not a bad thing if it didn't.

Sometimes a game can just be a game and people can move on. I think it's exhausting to treat major game releases like football players that have to "beat" other games and have some ridiculous dynasty.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's funny that both of you are technically correct, but you're both describing two different parts of the overall ending.

My main thing is

(SPOILERS SO DO NOT OPEN)

Clive's ultimate fate, is he dead dead?

Joshua's book in the ending-ending. Doesn't feel like that would be something Joshua could have written *before* the whole thing is resolved, who wrote it? Did Clive impart some of his life-essence into Joshua before dying? Or did Clive take up his name?

Doom85

I'd imagine CBU1 will wrap up the FFVII Remake trilogy, with Nomura having split roles between that and Kingdom Hearts IV.

Not sure why that would have to happen, he directed both KH 3 and FF VII Remake and they came out only about a year apart from each other.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I was actually incredibly impressed with FF16. I’ve never played a game that had so much thought put into a story and characters, yet was just so unbelievably boring. I can’t even place exactly why or how I’m so bored with the game, because I genuinely don’t think the story is bad or anything… but fuck, that game is such a slog.

Granted, my favorite FF game is probably 15, so my opinion is invalid. But shit, at least that rag-tag boy band of characters had some fun chemistry and never took things too seriously.

mortal

Gold Member
Not sure why that would have to happen, he directed both KH 3 and FF VII Remake and they came out only about a year apart from each other.
I have no clue so I'm just speculating. This could be wrong, but I do recall a past interview where he mentioned that he was appointed as the game director for FFVII Remake by Kitase, and it even caught him by surprise.
Doesn't seem like he's willing to stretch himself so thin again directing multiple AAA games at once, considering that FFVII Rebirth is being co-directed by Naoki Hamaguchi & Motomu Toriyama.

He may be working on something else besides KH IV & FFVII part 3, I'm just not sure if it's FFXVII or something else.

Doom85

I have no clue so I'm just speculating. This could be wrong, but I do recall a past interview where he mentioned that he was appointed as the game director for FFVII Remake by Kitase, and it even caught him by surprise.
Doesn't seem like he's willing to stretch himself so thin again directing multiple AAA games at once, considering that FFVII Rebirth is being co-directed by Naoki Hamaguchi & Motomu Toriyama.

He may be working on something else besides KH IV & FFVII part 3, I'm just not sure if it's FFXVII or something else.

Yeah, since he didn’t direct Rebirth, I’m not expecting him to direct Part 3 of the trilogy, but I imagine he’ll still be heavily involved.

EDMIX

New York Comedy GIF by HULU

Hopefully the next main entry will be one where the RPG elements matter, exploration gives you something besides way too many crafting materials, dungeons aren’t corridors, the lead’s story isn’t way too similar to that of a certain Tales lead (and done better in the Tales game), etc.

Music was good (even if not best of the year, but eh, I’ll let them have it), so they at least got that right.

I agree.

I like the game, but it seems their focus on quality, was more focused on visuals, then actual gameplay. The NPCs just appear, like something is wrong with the pathing or they were too lazy to put it in and you have all these characters saying weird shit like "i'll see you there" BITCH, WE GOING TO THE SAME PLACE! lol

We get there to obtain items for a ship and the person doesn't collect shit, they just stand there telling you that they've done something.

So anyone thinking this shit is normal, go play a Assassins Creed game. The NPCs actually fucking do the things they are saying they are doing.

For example when you are doing the Viking runs in assassin's creed Valhalla your entire crew is running and killing with you they are literally in front of you doing the very things but they are saying they are doing they are killing, they are stealing etc.

I've used a term to describe this that I learned from one of my film professors years ago because I think it helps illustrate this idea.

Inside of a film it is generally frowned upon to use narration to do something that the film itself could do narration should only be used to guide the viewer it should not be used in place of entire scenes because you are after all watching a film not reading a book.

This game proceeds to tell you something is going on more than actually illustrated do visual imagery despite clearly us having the technology to do this. I wish I could say cyberpunk was the biggest perpetrator of this but I might argue final fantasy 16 might be far worse because cyberpunk is telling you about events inside of its world, final fantasy 16 is proceeding to tell you actual literal things at that moment in time are going on that are not being represented by any real movement....

The character is telling you they're looking for something and their avatar is just standing there..

They will tell you they collected something and you're watching them and they've never moved.

This has nothing to do with design and has everything to do with pure laziness because the technology clearly exists to show these movements because playing through assassin's creed valhalla you have to explain to me how these Wizards were able to make all of those Viking Warriors burning down homes killing people in stealing stuff.

I'm telling you visually what they're doing to illustrate the narrative because I think in this medium it is better you show something that's going on then trying to tell it through speech because this is not a fucking book...

So as much as I know it's going to pain some of you to hear this shit Ubisoft sounds like they would do a better job telling this story then Square because it makes no sense in 2023 to have a character telling you something weird like "I'm going to collect more than you LOLz" only to then fucking do nothing and the NPC is just standing there frozen..

This is not 2003, there is no excuse to do this type of dumb shit.

TLDR

Final Fantasy XVI, there's a noticeable issue where characters describe actions, such as killing, or stealing, or really anything without corresponding visual representation. This criticism is opposite of Assassin's Creed Valhalla, where full animations effectively illustrate the narrative. It's disheartening to see this discrepancy in the industry in 2023, especially when technology allows for more immersive storytelling.

This has nothing to do with anyone's fucking feelings about Ubisoft or Square, get over your emotions on this shit and focus on the core, objective facts that are being stated here.

Pejo

Yoshi P is off to copy another franchise and fill it with Final Fantasy Memberberries.

Maybe Super Cloud & Squall Bros Wonder.

FeralEcho

Good,it's a complete story and an amazing experience.No need to add on top of it so it can degrade the original story....

Now can you please fix the damn chirping sound that Jill does when she's running,its the worst bug or whatever the fuck it is....It is literally unbelievable that such a widespread and simple issue hasnt been fixed after half a fucking year,wtf are you guys doing over there at Square Enix?

Is Jill a cricket or is she supposed to be Michael Jordan's sneakers on a basketball court? Wtf is that sound supposed to be???

Thabass

The best selling title was FF15 and they still cancelled DLCs and put a lot of the development team on Forspoken lol
I think that Square right now need to start the development of a new MMO since FF14 can't go on forever
What the fuck are you talking about. WoW has been out for longer and has 3 new expansions on the way. With the success of FFXIV, it is going to go as long as people keep paying for it.

Paulistano

The best selling title was FF15 and they still cancelled DLCs and put a lot of the development team on Forspoken lol
I think that Square right now need to start the development of a new MMO since FF14 can't go on forever
I'm currently playing FF15 and it's really fun, fun quests, a great and fun map with tons of things to do with secrets everywhere, you have company and you can control your party if you expend AP and god forbid it has... chocobo racing and minigames! FF16 is such a serious game it has nothing to break the ice, it drains you, people hyped YoshiP so much and IMO FF16 is just an equivalent of a marvel movie, you watch once and never again and it ages badly and it's reputation will degrade slowly, I really hope FF17 is more like 15 and 7r.

That one wasn't because of Square or the team, they were working on a second set of DLCs due to the success of 15, unironically Nomura got too jealous and nuked the dev from the studio cancelling the DLC in the process lol.

Pettiest thing I've ever seen, and big loss to Square and the DLCs would've added a lot to the game.

That one wasn't because of Square or the team, they were working on a second set of DLCs due to the success of 15, unironically Nomura got too jealous and nuked the dev from the studio cancelling the DLC in the process lol.

Pettiest thing I've ever seen, and big loss to Square and the DLCs would've added a lot to the game.
Was Nomura still into the development team?

What the fuck are you talking about. WoW has been out for longer and has 3 new expansions on the way. With the success of FFXIV, it is going to go as long as people keep paying for it.
A bit rude, but I wasn't talking about WoW and it's pretty nonsense implying that every mmo will last the same. I'm surprised that on a gaming forum someone can be totally clueless about game development, but here we are. A company can't wait the day that its mmo stop earning money to start thinking about the next project. A new game may require a whole generation to be developed so it's not impossible that are making preps for 2030

Top Bottom