• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers |OT| Lightning Returns Online

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Heh,

hardly into the game so far and it feels like I'm playing a "My First Monster Hunter" with some Final Fantasy themes thrown in. Right down to the village with the quest clerk lady.

I'M...

HOME!

This is so MH it's great.

Heh,

hardly into the game so far and it feels like I'm playing a "My First Monster Hunter" with some Final Fantasy themes thrown in. Right down to the village with the quest clerk lady.

I'M...

HOME!

This is so MH it's great.
Try online. It's pretty much the same as MH too. It's kinda hilarious.

And people get mad when we use the term "MH clone", lol.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Try online. It's pretty much the same as MH too. It's kinda hilarious.

And people get mad when we use the term "MH clone", lol.

What I like about this title is that it places more emphasis on your build, rather than positioning like MH, and I think that helps to differentiate it. This definitely feels like a more casual title than MH, but that's a good thing. Great for playing when you just want to chill and progress, and also game with mates and such.

About an hour and a half in. I know the Japan DLC was supposed to be included. Is that just already on the game cart? Why about all this all of a free theme? (Bought physical game)

Kade

What's the most involved class for solo? So far it has just been a lot of standing there and pressing Y with the occasion ability thrown in. I'm a Ranger right now.

I actually like this game a lot more than I expected, although the beginning is much much worse than any MH game I've played. I'm playing as a white mage now, looking to play as a healing/support character so I'm looking at bard, time mage, maybe blue mage or geomancer.

Added myself using the form, too.

Korezo

When you change jobs do you start from lvl 1? And do all classes share the same drops for gear, so if I'm DRK can I still gear and farm for other jobs?

So if I've got a friend who likes Dynasty Warriors and enjoys playing that multiplayer is this worth a look ?

(I'm not big on ARPGs myself but some mindless Musuo fun with a friend can be pretty cool).

(Also does this play well on an O3DS ? )

Wagram

I feel like Square didn't ship a ton of copies for this. Amazon is out apparently, and my pre-order hasn't even been shipped. None in my local area either.

Chorazin

So if I've got a friend who likes Dynasty Warriors and enjoys playing that multiplayer is this worth a look ?

(I'm not big on ARPGs myself but some mindless Musuo fun with a friend can be pretty cool).

(Also does this play well on an O3DS ? )

This is not a Musuo at all.

B00TE

Got the 10k needles or whatever on one of my Shiva retries.. she went from full health to dead in seconds, lol.

Got that once so far too, while playing with my brother. Between a monk and a Black Mage, we dropped Ifrit from half health to dead in one combo. Absolutely ridiculous. We were laughing so hard.

VandalD

Started playing this and hours disappeared. Enjoyed tanking online. Got through Ifrit, Shiva, and Dryad. I'm happy that enemy attacks are properly telegraphed so that you can respond to them. Makes fighting fun, even though the frame drops suck. My only other complaint right now is with the camera, though it's really not as much of an issue as it would be if MH4 didn't have touch screen camera controls. Just the nature of this game and the fact that there's lock-on makes it manageable for me, though I'm sure opinions will vary widely on this.

Moondrop

Banned
Unlocked my first hybrid class (Geomancer). Geomancers can use magic as well as clubs and have some status attack synergy, so I've whipped up a poison build. I've got a melee poison skill, a ranged poison spell, a PbAoE poison in Bio, a PbAoE skill to improve affliction rates and duration- and I've added bonus poison mutations to all of them, as well as to the native trap skill! Note that bells can use club skills, but have higher magic stats than clubs.

This game is getting pretty damn interesting.

JCX

Played the first 8 or so missions. Game looks like a high quality late DS game and reminds me of Phantasy Star Zero on DS, but fixes my biggest issue with PSZ - the awful camera. FFE's isn't great, but with N3DS/CPP it's workable.

This is exactly the type of 7/10 game I expected it to be. It does what it set out to do just fine. If you are like me and couldn't get into either of the most recent Monster Hunter games, but liked PSO, I'd suggest giving it a try.

What I like about this title is that it places more emphasis on your build, rather than positioning like MH, and I think that helps to differentiate it. This definitely feels like a more casual title than MH, but that's a good thing. Great for playing when you just want to chill and progress, and also game with mates and such.

This is it exactly. MonHun feels like playing Gran Turismo when all I want to do is race fast cars in something like Burnout.

fmpanda

I have a physical copy and see no sign of a theme anywhere.

They made the theme available for anyone with MH4U a couple of monthes after launch, it was a thank you for the game selling so well. As for NA getting the theme for free down the line, we can hope. If anything I just want that FF1 remaster for 3DS.

Oh, I added myself on the form too, do we just add everyone's FCs I take it?

pikablu

The matchmaking is pretty good and I was able to have fun playing with some random people. Only complaint is joining them while their in mid battle. You gotta wait for them to come back and hope you have that quest unlocked.

So just how bad are the FPS drops in this game when it gets busy? I'm on the fence (though eager to buy), but right now it sounds like the framerate gets really bad when there's a full room of people playing together.

sensui-tomo

So just how bad are the FPS drops in this game when it gets busy? I'm on the fence (though eager to buy), but right now it sounds like the framerate gets really bad when there's a full room of people playing together.

it got really bad when i was playing with my friends... we had 4 total people.. frame rate went into the single digits when we all used abilities on the same monster.

What are the communication options when playing online with randoms/friends?

Also, can you play with a friend or two and have a random join?

Honou

Neo Member
Added myself to the form and added everyone so far on the form to my FC list. Looking forward to playing with everyone.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So far, I'm not enjoying my time with it in the slightest. It feels like such a bore to play. Maybe these kind of games just aren't for me.

So far, I'm not enjoying my time with it in the slightest. It feels like such a bore to play. Maybe these kind of games just aren't for me.

Are you a PSO or Hunter fan at all?

I got this for cheap (30 CAD) after some discounts and credit, but I'm waiting on it to arrive after shipping and I hear so many radically different things, hah.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Are you a PSO or Hunter fan at all?

I got this for cheap (30 CAD) after some discounts and credit, but I'm waiting on it to arrive after shipping and I hear so many radically different things, hah.
I liked PSO and MH to a lesser extent. I think it's just how basic then starting classes are as well as the initial combat. I'm hoping it picks up once I start getting deeper in the class system.

I liked PSO and MH to a lesser extent. I think it's just how basic then starting classes are as well as the initial combat. I'm hoping it picks up once I start getting deeper in the class system.

Ah, yeah, fair enough. My biggest worry is combat depth as well, I hope that once everything gets going and you're in a multiplayer group, things are interesting enough. In for a penny already, so here's hoping.

Thanks for the impressions though!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ah, yeah, fair enough. My biggest worry is combat depth as well, I hope that once everything gets going and you're in a multiplayer group, things are interesting enough. In for a penny already, so here's hoping.

Thanks for the impressions though!
The later bosses sound like they'll be pretty fun, especially with the focus on MMO style party composition. That's easily my favorite part.

SpotAnime

So as someone who wants to get into the Monster Hunter games, if I started with this would the skills I learn here translate to something like MH4U?

lyrick

So as someone who wants to get into the Monster Hunter games, if I started with this would the skills I learn here translate to something like MH4U?

No, not really. It would introduce you to the style of game, but the only way to get good at MonHun is to play MonHun.

It's similar to how playing Cruis'n USA will not make you better at Gran Turismo.

I'm going to say 'no'. Skills here are not going to transfer over to MonHun -- at least, not to any notable degree.

Combat is absolutely nothing like MH4U. The similarities between them lie in the core concepts/gameplay loop: killing monsters, gathering materials, and crafting new gear. That's really where the comparison begins and ends.

Berordn

I'm going to say 'no'. Skills here are not going to transfer over to MonHun -- at least, not to any notable degree.

Combat is absolutely nothing like MH4U. The similarities between them lie in the core concepts/gameplay loop: killing monsters, gathering materials, and crafting new gear. That's really where the comparison begins and ends.

It would help you in breaking ground and figuring out what to do in MH, at least. My biggest hurdle with them was starting them up and getting hopelessly lost or not knowing what my direction was supposed to be.

Of course this is a problem that's pretty much completely remedied in 4U, so there's not a heck of a lot you get from FFE specifically.

magnetic

Vaguely interested, since "MH-style" games can range from fantastic (Soul Sacrifice) to really terrible (Ragnarok Odyssey). I usually enjoy these games when I stop comparing them to MH.

Stubby thick Lightning in the OP is oddly adorable!

Monster Hunter is way less intimidating than it used to be. MH4U is pretty accessible and there are fantastic beginner videos on YouTube. It's a very unique series, some of my fondest gaming memories!

Supert5

Neo Member
Vaguely interested, since "MH-style" games can range from fantastic (Soul Sacrifice) to really terrible (Ragnarok Odyssey). I usually enjoy these games when I stop comparing them to MH.

Kid dont even. Ragnarok odyssey was very enjoyable.

Top Bottom