• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers |OT| Lightning Returns Online

SpotAnime

No, not really. It would introduce you to the style of game, but the only way to get good at MonHun is to play MonHun.

It's similar to how playing Cruis'n USA will not make you better at Gran Turismo.

I'm going to say 'no'. Skills here are not going to transfer over to MonHun -- at least, not to any notable degree.

Combat is absolutely nothing like MH4U. The similarities between them lie in the core concepts/gameplay loop: killing monsters, gathering materials, and crafting new gear. That's really where the comparison begins and ends.

Monster Hunter is way less intimidating than it used to be. MH4U is pretty accessible and there are fantastic beginner videos on YouTube. It's a very unique series, some of my fondest gaming memories!

Cool, thanks for info everyone and thanks OP for letting me hijack the thread for a bit. On a sidenote, MH4U was on sale for $26 after GCU so I bit. But FFE goes on my wish list for a future purchase.

VandalD

So has anyone gotten anything other than increased CP gain from the fortune teller? I need to use up my Play Coins.
I've gotten increased gil once before. I often forget to visit the fortune teller. I haven't really noticed if it's making a difference. I haven't needed an absolute ton of CP yet either. Enabling a few challenges per quest has given me plenty. Even enough to get skills for equipment the classes I'm playing can't use. Gil seems more valuable right now. That's why I've almost entirely ignored side quests. They cost gil to start and only seem to give CP.

Ventara

Apparently, I had this game preordered at Best Buy since it came in today. Will be reading up on this game to see if it's worth it.

Two things that are of considerable note:

There a consumable item that increases malice that's called a vuvuzela.

Phoenix can go suck it

Can someone explain how Custom Abilities work? I can't seem to wrap my head around them and there's virtually no online resource for this game yet.

VandalD

Can someone explain how Custom Abilities work? I can't seem to wrap my head around them and there's virtually no online resource for this game yet.
When you activate your crystal surge (hold L+R and press a button), then use some of your abilities, they can gain special properties (mutations). For instance, you use Cure while having a crystal surge that gives the Regen effect, making your Cure also have a chance to give your target Regen. If it triggered, it'll say in the combat log that it was mutated.

When you go back to the crystal in town, you can then learn the mutated Cure with a chance to Regen, and it'll be called Cure1 by default. It is its own separate ability. You can then repeat the process with your Cure1, and in so doing, put more and more mutations on the same basic ability.

They are awesome

Basically. When you get a surge you can hit both triggers to get access to a ranomized buff

While the buff is active you have the potential for you abilities to mutate. If they are highlighted in yellow during the buff period then it will mutate when used

Once that happens you can buy the new ability at the Crystal after the quest. Set the new ability and mutate it again over and over

You can basically continue to stack mutations on any ability and customize its performance to whatever you want.

This likely ends up being the main grind.

1. You equip your abilities that you want to use that you learn from the crystal.
2. While you are out in the field, as you use abilities, your crystal meter will rise.
3. When you have enough in your meter, you then can then do a crystal surge that gives a passive bonus(Ex: Fire affinity increases fire damage)
4. While the crystal surge is going on, certain moves will be highlighted. If you use the move during this time, then there's a chance it'll "mutate" and gain an effect based on the surge (Ex: Using the ability during a Fire Affinity will give it the Fire ability)
5. When you're back in town, you can then buy the custom ability at the crystal.

EDIT: Beaten, but hopefully you got the idea.

Its a cool mechanic and allows you to continuously modify your character

Sucks that you can only get stacks one at a time. Could get tedious if you are trying to min max.

Ao dont bother with that and have fun

VandalD

It's a cool system. On top of doing the no brainer things like putting more Thunder on your Thunder, you can also put other elements on it like Fire and Water. If anything is weaker to Fire or Water, it'll use those for damage instead. So you can either make your abilities more all-purpose, or stack up damage and debuffs. I'm sure it'll be grindy if you focus on it, but it's just one of the things I do while questing. If I get something that looks cool, I learn it.

Played since I got back from work today, unlocked up to 4 star quest and got to use some transformations. Got a bunch of new gear also. Still enjoying the hell out of this. Glad I picked it up since it wasn't on my radar at all

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really had the chance to get very far in the game yet. It's mostly run up, smack 'em with a Moonstrike, enemy dies.

I know the meat and potatoes of this game is the custom abilities, so I can't wait to try them out, also monster buddy creation. I got parts for Goblin, Bomb, and something else.

The ONLY real complaint I have with this game is the music. It's not very good. I also don't like how it cuts to the battle music every time you attack a basic enemy, then begins the zone music loop over. So for a goof I turned the music on and started listening to Grant Kirkhope music. Because it was a surreal experience playing a Final Fantasy game that plays like Monster Hunter that sounds like Donkey Kong 64 or Banjo-Kazooie.

Played about 6 hours tonight, I've been having fun with it. I like how it dumps you right into the game almost immediately. Barely any tutorial type stuff. The core gameplay is fun, been playing black mage, and I love how customizable it feels so far. I'm enjoying the trance stuff and upgrading my abilities through it. The monster team mates seem super basic and I'm hoping there's a way to customize them later though. Over all this game does feel low budget as I've heard many suggest. Music, graphics, everything is super average. And is it just my 3ds but the 3d effect didn't work when I tried it? Maybe I have a child lock setting accidentally turned on? Or does this game not use the 3d?

Anyway, I'm hoping it keeps driving me to play, I couldn't put it down tonight. Hopefully the online is cool when I get into that.

VandalD

Played about 6 hours tonight, I've been having fun with it. I like how it dumps you right into the game almost immediately. Barely any tutorial type stuff. The core gameplay is fun, been playing black mage, and I love how customizable it feels so far. I'm enjoying the trance stuff and upgrading my abilities through it. The monster team mates seem super basic and I'm hoping there's a way to customize them later though. Over all this game does feel low budget as I've heard many suggest. Music, graphics, everything is super average. And is it just my 3ds but the 3d effect didn't work when I tried it? Maybe I have a child lock setting accidentally turned on? Or does this game not use the 3d?

Anyway, I'm hoping it keeps driving me to play, I couldn't put it down tonight. Hopefully the online is cool when I get into that.
I don't think you can customize monsters, though of course you choose which ones to bring with you and they have different abilities. Some even take two or all three party slots. My current favorite is a Black Knight that takes all three slots. I like to think the AI is less dumb with only one monster ally for it to think about. And the Black Knight is pretty strong. When monsters get leveled up, they can put out some decent damage. There is no 3D effect.

pikablu

Anyone else keep getting disconnected last night? Was playing with 3 different people and it kept happening to all of us at one point.

Man, those custom abilities are AWESOME. I managed to get the one on Quake that does more damage the more monsters you've killed in your quest. That is a really really cool system.

Moondrop

Banned
Red mage can be a healing ninja. It's good stuff.

Also, the classic character trances have some funny effects, such as seeing Cloud unleash an omnislash using a harp, or Aeris unloading melee combos.

My current favorite is a Black Knight that takes all three slots. I like to think the AI is less dumb with only one monster ally for it to think about. And the Black Knight is pretty strong.
Thanks for the tip; Black knight indeed owns. He's got an AoE carpet bomb attack and otherwise seems to stick to the main threat with melee attacks. Definitely can be paired with bard or a mage.

Vanethyr

Was pleasantly surprised to see my copy turn up from the Nintendo UK store today!

The colours look a little... off on the Collector's Edition box but the artwork's real pretty.

Looking forward to diving into this once my 3DS finishes all its updates ^ ^ I don't usually go in for online play but I think I might make an exception this time.

B00TE

The ONLY real complaint I have with this game is the music. It's not very good. I also don't like how it cuts to the battle music every time you attack a basic enemy, then begins the zone music loop over. So for a goof I turned the music on and started listening to Grant Kirkhope music. Because it was a surreal experience playing a Final Fantasy game that plays like Monster Hunter that sounds like Donkey Kong 64 or Banjo-Kazooie.

Yeah, the only time I notice the music is when it plays the victory fanfare when completing a quest.

Matticers

I don't know if it's a spoiler but I'll use spoiler tags anyway in case some people get cranky easily. But...

Any tips on how to capture an eidolon?

I can't seem to get the option to come up so if anyone knows a good or easy way of doing it, feel free to share.

Moondrop

Banned
Any tips on how to capture an eidolon?

I can't seem to get the option to come up so if anyone knows a good or easy way of doing it, feel free to share.
Use tranqs... wait... First don't bring any monster pals, so they don't accidentally finish off the boss. Reduce boss health to ~5%. Spam support and healing skills until you get the right crystal drive option.

Matticers

Use tranqs... wait... First don't bring any monster pals, so they don't accidentally finish off the boss. Reduce boss health to ~5%. Spam support and healing skills until you get the right crystal drive option.

Thanks. I got the option on my second try.

Vanethyr

I'm only a few quests in but I feel like this game has really clicked with me. I had my doubts at first after the initial impressions and reviews but I'm glad I stuck with my preorder, it's a lot of fun!

Went with the White Mage first since that was my main in FFXIV, so if anyone needs a healer I'll be around!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I very much enjoy the job classes playing as they should. Like the Dark Knight. It feels good to sacrifice my HP for damage instead of whatever they thought they were doing in XIV. And magic classes have full spell lists again!

I guess if I were to complain about anything it's the music not being loud enough. But I don't think the music is all that great either.

Besides the only track worth listening to is Clash on the Big Bridge

All in all so far while the combat is simplistic I am enjoying it a lot.

Potentially dumb question, but do you have to reach a certain point in the story to be able to do this?

Added a bunch of people from the spreadsheet, so if anyone wants to play I'll be available at nights Mountain time.

Chorazin

I very much enjoy the job classes playing as they should. Like the Dark Knight. It feels good to sacrifice my HP for damage instead of whatever they thought they were doing in XIV. And magic classes have full spell lists again!

I guess if I were to complain about anything it's the music not being loud enough. But I don't think the music is all that great either.

Besides the only track worth listening to is Clash on the Big Bridge

All in all so far while the combat is simplistic I am enjoying it a lot.

I am so stoked to unlock Dark Knight. Looks awesome!

VandalD

Any thoughts on if I should bother with this game if I only play it single player?
I've been playing it a lot single player, but this is backed up with the fact that I can take it online and help people out or play cooperatively any time. It's been fun so far, even solo, but unless you're like me in that you're into grindy action RPGs and want one on your 3DS, I can't safely recommend it. The monster system just doesn't seem like it has enough depth to replace the fun of playing with others.

Unlocked Ninja. Knight and Paladin are great, but Ninjas are just so damn speedy. I'm not sure if I can go back. If I can build a tanky Ninja, then I'm absolutely sold. Still have a lot of classes to try out too.

Mihos

Gold Member
I have 0 friends who own a 3DS and really have no interest in dealing with anything online, but I absolutely love all thing Final Fantasy.... is the game playable at all solo?
Or will there come a point where there is just a wall that can't be climbed?

VandalD

I have 0 friends who own a 3DS and really have no interest in dealing with anything online, but I absolutely love all thing Final Fantasy.... is the game playable at all solo?
Or will there come a point where there is just a wall that can't be climbed?
I don't know how it'll be at endgame, but I'm thinking the difficulty wall won't be insurmountable while solo. Enemies definitely get beefed up in multiplayer. And while monster allies can be pretty dumb, they act as decent meat shields and can also respawn on their own over time when they die. I think the wall is more in how much you can handle repetitive action. I've done a lot solo. But if you're looking for a good story (it's a very tiny part of this game) or good music (what's not ripped from other games is just sort of.. there), you'll be disappointed. If you want a grindy action RPG with a Final Fantasy skin on it, and you love the idea of changing classes (I'm a sucker for job systems - Fantasy Life owned me for a bit), then I'd say you might enjoy it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Post main story part definitely isn't that much fun solo, because most bosses can one hit KO magic using classes and friend monsters aren't that useful.

Mideon

Is this worth getting if your only going to play solo?

Haha literally should have read up. Got my answer. Still undecided!!

OK I added myself to the list. Do I just add everyone on there or what? Also can classes mix ever? Or do you literally have to start from scratch from each class? Games addicting as heck.

OK I added myself to the list. Do I just add everyone on there or what? Also can classes mix ever? Or do you literally have to start from scratch from each class? Games addicting as heck.

From what I can tell, any class can equip magic abilities, but weapon abilities are tied to the weapon type and unique abilities can't be shared between classes at all. Also, abilities use less load when equipped if you're using the appropriate job.

I think I might have added you already, by the way.

VandalD

I'll be available for a while if anyone here wants to play. I've added everyone on the list, I think. Glad to help anyone who wants it, or just farm up some stuff. Opening up a friends only room.

Adeptrain

Just picked this up today and hopefully being in South Korea doesn't add too much lag. I added myself to the gaf list, so I hope to be playing with you all soon!

Vorpal

100% of my playtime has been in online co-op with a friend--we just defeated The Fire Djinn for the first time, and suddenly I can see 3-star quests but she can't. Says I've completed 22 quests and she's completed 21, but we have all the same quests checked off. Also, for some reason, she can't see the robed NPC outside of the Monster Den.

Anyone else run into weird problems like this?

Reveirg

100% of my playtime has been in online co-op with a friend--we just defeated The Fire Djinn for the first time, and suddenly I can see 3-star quests but she can't. Says I've completed 22 quests and she's completed 21, but we have all the same quests checked off. Also, for some reason, she can't see the robed NPC outside of the Monster Den.

Has she spoken to every NPC with an exclamation mark?

Maybe it's tied to completing some subquests.

VandalD

Good gaming session!!! :)
Yeah, good stuff!

I saw people mention this kind of problem with a quest that's supposed to pop up later called Black or White, but I haven't encountered anything like that myself.

Just unlocked Trance mode and a bunch of FF costumes.

Some of the female full sets have Magic+, I'm thinking of changing the gender of my character...

I don't know if I just stumbled upon an incredibly over powered set up or if the game is just way too easy, but Black Mage is ridiculous.

I'm using fire blizzard thunder, fira blizzara thundara, haste and barrier. All my modifiers to these skills are around +6 and they grant stuff that increases my resonance and resonance damage along with trance gain. They all also have an ability attached that chains them all together so I have it set up where if I use one after the other there's no cast time. Basically against any boss I burn through my ap but gain trance, which gives it all back and by the time trance is over the boss is dead.

It's not like I'm very far. In the 3 star quests and just beat
Alexander
. But man, the game is too easy like this. Every mission I select the modifiers like, half hp regain, less time to complete, ect. I'm wondering if other classes and play styles are this good, or if 3 star missions are nothing compared to what's to come.

Top Bottom