• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta! RK beat Fork Tower! zomgawesome

So.

I played this challenge over 17 days, taking 25 hours.

I took over 500 screenshots. My folder where they're all stored is nearly 8 megabytes.

It was fun.

I must admit, it was interesting having your ablities restricted. The completionist in my weeped over my empty White, Time, Summon, Blue, Song, spell lists. But oh well.

Well, it's funny. Now I want to play FFV again without the crazy challenge. :lol

This was a cool idea RK, probably one of the best "GAF plays" threads ever.

Also I find it funny how many people have beaten the challenge before you.

Ourobolus

Banned
47 Hi-Potions, 20 Flame/Frost/Thunder Rods, and 3 Elixirs later, Exdeath goes down.
FinalFantasyVAdvanceU_01-3.png

Had the Bone Mail on the Berserker, so couldn't revive her, unfortunately.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Can anyone confirm the situation with Dancer equipment and Sword Dance? I hear having everything helps, I hear only haveing one item is necessary for the best effect. Would like to know the truth. Getting my Berserker going with the Dancing Dagger would be better if other slots could be open. I'm thinking it is going to be:
Berserker with Equip Ribbon rocking Dancing Dagger, Flame Shield, Ribbon, Bone Mail and Red Shoes. (Butz because he has highest power when set as Berserker.)
Monk with Trap equipping Kaiser Knuckles. (Probably Lenna because she looks like Chun-Li.)
Beastmaster with Fire Whip and Equip Ribbon for that extra protection. (Probably Kururu because she is the cutest beastmaster.)
Dancer with Barefisted equipping Ribbon, Rainbow Dress and Reflect Ring. (Probably Faris because of sexism.)

This is what I think as of now. Trying to get the Red Shoes.

led4lyfe

Is there any reason why my Mystic Knight with the Enchanter equipped can't hit anyone? The weapon doesn't have any effects right?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Algorithms guide says it only takes one piece to give the Swords Dance Up status, making Swords Dance happen 50% of the time with !Dance, or 25% of the time with the Dancing Dagger.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
PataHikari said:
Also I find it funny how many people have beaten the challenge before you.
Uh, have you ever seen one of the threads where I play games? I take forever in everything. I'm still playing PDS for chrissake! And that game is allegedly like 2 minutes long.

RevenantKioku said:
Uh, have you ever seen one of the threads where I play games? I take forever in everything. .
Nope! Generally don't pay attention to these threads. The "challenge" part is what caught my eye.

RevenantKioku

If the guy in the tower of Magic can be inflicted with slip, I will eventually win. As it has been going on for a half hour and he keeps healing himself at a stupid rate, I can only imagine that I will never win.
Having the Bone Mail on means that Drain, when it works and it rarely does, hits him for some damage. Alas with every five second giving him back 175 HP I don't see the slip damage necessarily adding up enough to kill him. I'd love him to cast Scan like it says he can so I can see how much HP he has and whether I should give up or not. But, I'm stubborn.

Anyway, no Fork Tower means no sub which means no kaiser knuckle which means no extra Monk damage.

He finally scanned himself. He's at full HP. Fork Tower is impossible.

Oh, he's actually killing me me by casting reflect on himself and then cure at me.
And he did that enough times to win.
036.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RK, you had nearly the same party as I did.

Use the Berserker with the Bone Mail on the other side, with the dancing dagger and equip ribbon to get the bonus. Own him.

Against Omni, got any reflect rings? Reflect Rings=Win with time.

Ourobolus

Banned
RK, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to beat that guy, and apart from beating the shit out of the Magic Lamp and Reflect Rings, I'm at a loss. Omniscient has something like 17,000 HP, so you should be able to knock him down to at least 5,000 before running out of summons.

FinalFantasyVAdvanceU_01-4.png

Well, done with all four tablets - Now just doing some levelling (running away to increase Chicken Knife strength, etc.) so that I have enough HP to survive Almagest (1500+, since I don't have Shell).

Link Man

Banned
I'm at the Forest of Moore, but am having a little trouble with the crystals. I kind of wish that I had gotten Flame Rings now, as I could have forced the Fire Crystal to heal me, but oh well. I'll figure something out.

RevenantKioku

Ourobolus said:
RK, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to beat that guy, and apart from beating the shit out of the Magic Lamp and Reflect Rings, I'm at a loss. Omniscient has something like 17,000 HP, so you should be able to knock him down to at least 5,000 before running out of summons.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk93/ourobolus/FinalFantasyVAdvanceU_01-4.png[IMG]
Well, done with all four tablets - Now just doing some levelling (running away to increase Chicken Knife strength, etc.) so that I have enough HP to survive Almagest (1500+, since I don't have Shell).[/QUOTE]
Magic Lamp triggers reset. It's a no-go.

Ourobolus

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
O.O holy shit.

EDIT: I've got an idea. It's a slim-chance, but it should work. Bring a character equipped with a Mage Masher and hope that the first attack inflicts Silence (Omni isn't immune to it). Beat the shit out of him from there on out.

This may take a few tries, though. On the plus side, if it doesn't work, he'll cast Return and you can try again! :lol

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Not being able to use magic on Omni... just, good luck. It's possible, but it'll probably take a couple of tries. Reflect Ring is a pretty good bet but you should probably unequip the Bone Mail to avoid the Cure Reflect. Sorry, my advice might be void due to drunkness. :p

Saerk

RevenantKioku said:

What triggers reset on that guy? It seemed like everything I did triggered reset so I had to beat him by casting mute with one guy and attacking with the other. I'd even quick cast mute to make sure it would stick.

Ourobolus

Banned
Saerk said:
What triggers reset on that guy? It seemed like everything I did triggered reset so I had to beat him by casting mute with one guy and attacking with the other. I'd even quick cast mute to make sure it would stick.
Spells are the only thing that don't trigger Return. AND, only Black/Time/White/Blue (Omni is weak to wind).

Link Man

Banned
FINALLY beat the crystals in the Forest of Moore. Link faced the last crystal alone (Earth Shaker), but with Rapid Fire Drain Sword, he was invincible. So glad that's over with.

Armed with the Dancing Dagger, I entered Exdeath's Castle and, after a long battle with a Hellraiser, in which I used several Hi-Potions and Ethers on the beast, I obtained White Wind! So happy that I finally have a reliable healing spell.

RevenantKioku

Sword Familiar said:
Not being able to use magic on Omni... just, good luck. It's possible, but it'll probably take a couple of tries. Reflect Ring is a pretty good bet but you should probably unequip the Bone Mail to avoid the Cure Reflect. Sorry, my advice might be void due to drunkness. :p
Well the thing is is that he casts Drain a lot more than Reflect->Cure. Draining someone wearing Bone Mail does damage, of course.
Link Man said:
Does Release do the same?
Probably. Dance does. I'd imagine it is set to work on any non Magic command.
Ourobolus said:
EDIT: I've got an idea. It's a slim-chance, but it should work. Bring a character equipped with a Mage Masher and hope that the first attack inflicts Silence (Omni isn't immune to it). Beat the shit out of him from there on out.
He had cast Silence one time and when it reflected it "hit" him but he cast another spell right after that.

Chris R

Starting to regret flame ring grind :| Oh well, 3/4 the way done :lol Even had to revert back to an older save, but seeing as this will provide basically my only form of healing :lol

I'm all level 17 Knights right now, about to go get my second job. Haven't had much time to play. About to face Garula. I like my Knights, though, they kick so much ass. :(

Link Man

Banned
Did a little Dragon Fang farming (for gil), now to grind for Reflect Rings in Exdeath's Castle.

I might not play much over the weekend, though, because my Micro is causing too much eye strain. I ordered a GBA SP (with the brighter backlight) this past week, so it should be arriving next week.

RevenantKioku

I'm really not sure if I'll be able to beat my own challenge. :lol
I can barely make it through fights right now.
Here are the levels and HP/MP.
037.jpg

Berserker/Dancer/Monk/Beastmaster
How do rows work in this game? Once I stop trying to steal with the Beastmaster, that will be backrowed with a whip. But will putting my Dancer in the last spot help with the low HP?

Gear
Berserker (Equip Ribbon)
Rune Axe
Ice Shield
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Protect Ring

Dancer (Counterattack)
Chicken Knife (maxed)
-
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Red Shoes

Monk (Trap)
-
-
Tiger Mask
Mirage Vest
Protect Ring

Beastmaster (Equip Ribbon)
Fire Whip (Thief Knife)
-
Ribbon
Diamond Chestplate
Reflect Ring (Kornago Pot)

Any better gear I can get without the sub? It really seems like there is no way for me to beat Fork Tower.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
As I recall party order only determines frequency of being hit in the games without a front and back row. So sticking the Dancer in the last slot probably won't accomplish much.

Link Man

Banned
Well, RK, the only thing I can suggest is equipping the Dancer with a Lamia's Tiara to up the chance of Sword Dance, but that won't help with the Fork Tower. Honestly, however, I don't see any reason for continuing beyond that point with the tablets, given your current party. My advice is to proceed to the void, and if it's too tough, then grind.

I've gotten the first tablet, will get the second (for Holy/Flare and the sub) and the last in Leviathan's Lair (to get the Enhancer and Rune Sword). I could probably do the Undersea Trench now that I have Mighty Guard, but I'm not sure if there's anything of value to me down there.

Yaweee

Neo Exdeath is roughing me up, badly. I have no worthwhile healing except Phoenix, Almageist kills two party members and leaves the other two critical (assuming full health, which I can only reach with Phoenix), and Grand Cross has the horrible tendency to berserk any living members I have. I just can't deal with 4 Grand Cross/Almageist combos in a fight.

It should be simple. All I have to do is get off 16 Bahamuts, with Phoenix each counting as 1/3rd. Odin doesn't work at all, or at least not any time I've cast it. Does it only kill the human part if it is the only part remaining?

It sucks that the enemies at the last save point give no EXP. It took me a bunch of tries to get back to the castle.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Odin should work any time and kills the leftmost section of Exdeath. Are you using him from the Magic Lamp or are you casting him normally? I think FFV does the whole "Instant death attack against vulnerable enemies, regular damage against enemies immune to instant death" thing with Odin, which the Magic Lamp ignores.

And why Bahamut? You pulled Samurai, so can't you just Coin Toss/Zeninage him to death?

Yaweee

ixix said:
Odin should work any time and kills the leftmost section of Exdeath. Are you using him from the Magic Lamp or are you casting him normally? I think FFV does the whole "Instant death attack against vulnerable enemies, regular damage against enemies immune to instant death" thing with Odin, which the Magic Lamp ignores.

And why Bahamut? You pulled Samurai, so can't you just Coin Toss/Zeninage him to death?

Odin just pulled Gungnir the five times I cast him. Like all summons, I don't specifically choose a target.

At level 40, Coin Toss only does 3000 damage per target, while Bahamut does about around 3400. Now that I've gained a few more levels (everything in the castle is weak to Odin!), Coins might do a little bit more, but I need the extra utility of having Phoenix by going !Summon.

EDIT: I'm a winner! It seems the key to defeating Exdeath is to not die in single attacks. Level 45 across the board, everybody in the back row casting summons.

So what is the absolutely hardest combination to go through the game as? I'm interested in restarting.

Ourobolus

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Gear
Berserker (Equip Ribbon)
Rune Axe
Ice Shield
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Protect Ring

Dancer (Counterattack)
Chicken Knife (maxed)
-
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Red Shoes

Monk (Trap)
-
-
Tiger Mask
Mirage Vest
Protect Ring

Beastmaster (Equip Ribbon)
Fire Whip (Thief Knife)
-
Ribbon
Diamond Chestplate
Reflect Ring (Kornago Pot)

Any better gear I can get without the sub? It really seems like there is no way for me to beat Fork Tower.

Well, it looks like you've stolen the best Dancer gear from Phoenix Tower, so the best thing I can think of is getting really damn lucky on Omni with Reflect Rings.

Yaweee said:
So what is the absolutely hardest combination to go through the game as? I'm interested in restarting.
Well, I'm playing through right now as Red Mage/Geomancer/Bard/Berserker (I already finished RK's challenge with my original team of Berserker/Blue Mage/Beastmaster/Dancer), and I'm currently trying to beat Necrophobe (hint: healing is a BITCH).

Yaweee

charlequin said:
rk's group seems to be putting up a pretty good fight.:lol

I have no idea what Beastmasters do. I don't think I've used one meaningfully in any FF game.

Monks are kind of awesome, though. I think a thief would make a far more interesting replacement :D (Aren't they the class that can turn off random encounters? I almost always use that kind of ability when available.)

Ourobolus

Banned
Yaweee said:
I have no idea what Beastmasters do. I don't think I've used one meaningfully in any FF game.

Monks are kind of awesome, though. I think a thief would make a far more interesting replacement :D (Aren't they the class that can turn off random encounters? I almost always use that kind of ability when available.)

Actually, in this game, only Oracles and Gladiators can affect random encounters (reduce and increase the frequency of, respectively).
Beastmasters are awesome for getting Blue Magic, but other than that they are useful for paralyzing enemies in the early game, and can capture enemies for the mid-game. World 3, however, I haven't really found a good use for them (hence me relegating my Beastmaster to Elixir/Phoenix Down duty during my trip through the Rift).

RevenantKioku

Ourobolus said:
Well, it looks like you've stolen the best Dancer gear from Phoenix Tower, so the best thing I can think of is getting really damn lucky on Omni with Reflect Rings.
The thing is is that he casts Regen, making it impossible. He casts regen like every minute which hits him for 150 restored every five seconds. I'd have to be impossibly lucky and have him cast Fire which does about 32 damage reflected, oh I don't know, 532 times without him casting Cura or Regen in between.
If Odin can get him then yes, I have a chance, maybe?
Yaweee said:

Monks are good up until world 3. Maybe the HP bonus would be nice if you really want to dump your extra skill but other than that they do no damage whatsoever at this point.

500-ihatemyself.png

After saving the world, Jimmy and co were enjoying their pimp Airship/Watership/Submarine, when suddenly they found a strange room with a weird button. Jimmy pressed it, and next thing they knew the room had shifted, and now they had gained access to a strange new place filled with horrible monsters.

Deciding this would be an awesome reunion party, they decided to kill everything inside.

501-jimmyisnotgoingtohavefun.png

I AM INSANE.

RevenantKioku

This may be the worst team of the bunch.
Odin doesn't work so I am really out of ideas. Not being able to clear Fork Tower really puts my panties in a bunch as for upping the Monk's damage.
The only possible solution I see for getting through the final dungeon is lots of grinding followed by lots of running.

RevenantKioku

Yaweee said:
Your screenshots above make it seem like you're effectively soloing the Magic side, but do you really have to do that? I'd imagine that a Monk, with high evade rate and encounter, could possibly solo the Physical side, so you can have 2 or 3 people using the elemental rods as items. Not sure how much damage that would do, but you can use physical classes as long as you don't do physical damage.
That's great, Yaweee. I'll try that in the version of FFV where that is actually possible. Do you have a copy?

Yaweee

RevenantKioku said:
That's great, Yaweee. I'll try that in the version of FFV where that is actually possible. Do you have a copy?

Hey, I'm just speculating. If you're having problems killing the magic guy, bring somebody else for item support. Am I missing something that makes that impossible?

Ourobolus

Banned
Yaweee said:
Hey, I'm just speculating. If you're having problems killing the magic guy, bring somebody else for item support. Am I missing something that makes that impossible?
He doesn't have a class that can equip (and therefore break) rods.

RK - have you tried my Mage Masher technique yet? I know you mentioned him silencing himself and casting a spell somehow, and while I don't know about that, I tested the Mage Masher on him and silenced him, and then pummeled away. It doesn't last an enormous amount of time, so bring in your best damage dealers.

Yaweee

Ourobolus said:

Oh, you need to have items equipped to use them like that? My bad. Most games I've played that allow you to use equipment don't require them to be worn.

RevenantKioku

Ourobolus said:

RK - have you tried my Mage Masher technique yet? I know you mentioned him silencing himself and casting a spell somehow, and while I don't know about that, I tested the Mage Masher on him and silenced him, and then pummeled away. It doesn't last an enormous amount of time, so bring in your best damage dealers.
Out of 20 attacks Mage Masher silenced once. By the next attack he cast Return.
Sure, bring in my damage dealers.... and then how do I beat Minotaurous exactly?

RevenantKioku

038.jpg

Fuck you.

039.jpg

Fuck you.

040.jpg

Fuck you.

041.jpg

SWEET TITTY DANCING ON A TOASTER TEA CUP DILLY DALLY WOOOO!

B.K.

Are the wolves around Karnak the best place to get Gil in the first world? I really want to get four fire rings before I move on.

Ourobolus

Banned
B.K. said:
Are the wolves around Karnak the best place to get Gil in the first world? I really want to get four fire rings before I move on.
Yeah, pretty much. The guys in the first room of the Ronka Ruins give decent money too (ranges from 400-1000, so not consistent), and a hell of a lot more XP though.

RevenantKioku

charlequin said:
I'm glad my trick was able to help you out here. :lol
I wish I was recording it. It was a very silly fight.
The dragons near there do 9999 damage if you capture/release them. Going to go back, capture two, equip the Mage Masher and hope for the best in Fork Tower. I will have my revenge, goddammit.

Top Bottom