• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Gaiden: The 4 Heroes of Light coming to NA/EU this fall

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They aren't changing the auto-targeting? :\

Looks like I'll pass. Please bring over SaGa 2 S-E.

Skilletor said:
How does the game choose which enemy to attack?
Lowest HP, which is terrible if say you have a White Mage with just under half HP, but low defense, and a Knight with high defense, but lower HP than the White Mage. Game heals Knight, enemies kill White Mage on next turn. Idiotic design choice. Why they needed to dumb the game down for an audience that plays Dragon Quest and Pokemon is beyond me.

Skilletor

lordoftherink said:
Lowest HP, which is terrible if say you have a White Mage with just under half HP, but low defense, and a Knight with high defense, but lower HP than the White Mage. Game heals Knight, enemies kill White Mage on next turn. Idiotic design choice. Why they needed to dumb the game down for an audience that plays Dragon Quest and Pokemon is beyond me.

This makes me sad. The game looked appealing artistically, but that's stupid.

Skilletor

I don't understand how selecting the enemy you wish to attack is at all cumbersome or how removing this "feature" could be considered "streamlining" the old school battle system.

sfried

Skilletor said:
I don't understand how selecting the enemy you wish to attack is at all cumbersome or how removing this "feature" could be considered "streamlining" the old school battle system.
It has to do with pacing. Also they already mentioned how attack/magic stands more for short range/long range attack. And it seems enemy placement will make use of this.

Skilletor

sfried said:
It has to do with pacing. Also they already mentioned how attack/magic stands more for short range/long range attack. And it seems enemy placement will make use of this.

Pacing seems to be slowed down when you have to enter additional commands to make up for the mistakes the AI makes.

duckroll

Princess Skittles said:
I'm actually interested in the battle system.

I think it'll be interesting to play around the game's mechanics.

Unfortunately there isn't much to "play around" with. Battles are either so easy that it doesn't matter, or for harder boss battles it's just aggravating until you grind. The balance kinda blows and the jobs and equipment always feel really limited at any given time. :/

Skilletor said:
Pacing seems to be slowed down when you have to enter additional commands to make up for the mistakes the AI makes.

Pacing is balls when you have to escape a dungeon just to change item load out for a boss because of a limited inventory, and then do the dungeon all over again.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It really seems like they attempted the Riviera approach and just borked it. Shame.
I wonder if hackers will be able to rectify some of these issues...
Not likely, I'd think.

Mejilan said:
It really seems like they attempted the Riviera approach and just borked it. Shame.
I wonder if hackers will be able to rectify some of these issues...
Not likely, I'd think.
What? Is this on-rails?

I haven't played it so I don't know.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ys, Sora no Kiseki, Lufia DS and FF Gaiden down... now, localization-wise, I can die a happy man if we get some 7th Dragon and SaGa DS action up in heah.

wrowa

lordoftherink said:
But you do know that most Dragon Quests are by far more difficult than Final Fantasy games, yes?

wrowa said:
It's supposed to resemble the old Final Fantasy logo, you know :p

ff3_usa1.jpg

Except PAL territories never got any old FFs, so there's no nostalgic reason to use such a shitty font.

Even with the bad impressions this game has everything I want from an FF

- Akihiko Yoshida
- Job system
- Beautiful art & music

I'll be picking this one up.

wrowa said:
But you do know that most Dragon Quests are by far more difficult than Final Fantasy games, yes?
uh, what I was getting at was that Squenix "simplifying" the game and gearing it for a younger audience was idiotic, as many kids, at least in Japan, are already playing Dragon Quest and Pokemon, which, among other things, allow you to set a target for spells

Oli

Aeana said:
tumblr_l32xehQwlz1qzp9weo3_400.jpg
tumblr_l32xehQwlz1qzp9weo2_400.jpg

Sad to see them continue using that crappy font they use for all of the portable FF games. Oh well.

So Aeana, I have to ask, this or Dragon Quest IX? Though your answer seems obvious, I'm trying to pick my next RPG.

Aeana said:
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l32xehQwlz1qzp9weo3_400.jpg[img][img]http://24.edia.tumblr.com/tumblr_l32xehQwlz1qzp9weo2_400.jpg[img]

Sad to see them continue using that crappy font they use for all of the portable FF games. Oh well.[/QUOTE]
It's better than the one for DQIX at least. Don't know why they didn't just stick with the one used in the DS remakes.

Aeana

Oli said:
So Aeana, I have to ask, this or Dragon Quest IX? Though your answer seems obvious, I'm trying to pick my next RPG.
Well, to be fair, I've only played about two hours of 4 Warriors of Light, but I have the same complaints with it that people already voiced here. The lack of manual targeting and the way the inventory system works are just silly. I have some problems with DQ9, as well (centered mostly around the job system), but it is by far the better game.

Hobbun

Meh.

I can at least deal with limited inventory (even though I wouldn't be happy about it), but the crappy combat design kills it for me. No thanks.

Please bring on SaGa 2.

Aeana

Hobbun said:
Meh.

I can at least deal with limited inventory (even though I wouldn't be happy about it), but the crappy combat design kills it for me. No thanks.

Please bring on SaGa 2.
There's no inherent problem with limited inventory, as long as the loot design in the game takes it into account. In 4WoL, it almost feels like the rest of the game designers didn't know there would be a limited inventory. Everything takes up inventory spaces, including spells, and there are tons of items you find all over the place. The best part is when a temporary character leaves and takes their entire inventory with them.

Hobbun

Aeana said:
There's no inherent problem with limited inventory, as long as the loot design in the game takes it into account. In 4WoL, it almost feels like the rest of the game designers didn't know there would be a limited inventory. Everything takes up inventory spaces, including spells, and there are tons of items you find all over the place. The best part is when a temporary character leaves and takes their entire inventory with them.

Like I said, I could deal with the limited inventory, that is not a game breaker for me. But not being able to manually target, is. That is one of the main reasons why turn based combat is my preference, because you usually have full control. Not in this case, though.

Teknoman

If I dealt with the crazy battle system in Romancing Saga PS2, I guess I can deal with this.

EDIT: Wait temp. characters leaving with the items too? That could cause some problems :lol

only DS FF game i was excited for =( japan gaf no like =(. But the character designs are super kawaii and it has a job system. maybe they port it to iphone =(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Aeana said:
The best part is when a temporary character leaves and takes their entire inventory with them.
Damn, they really were dedicated to making this an old school Final Fantasy. They even went ahead and intensified the genre's long discarded flaws :lol

Sinople

In typical FF fashion, I'll bring a bit of balance to all the negativity here.

First, about targeting.
The enemies are divided between front and back row. Attacks too are divided between those targeting in priority the front row (mainly physical attacks) and those targeting in priority the back row (mainly magical attacks). So it's not like you can't choose which enemy you want to kill first, you can actually. Unless you screw up with the job selection and have something like 4 warriors without any skills who can only target the front row...
In case you want to concentrate on the back row, use skills and spells.
As for healing, if you have a healer, concentrate on it if you think things may be dangerous. There's no magic point for a reason.

About the limited inventory.
It's limited, yes. So you have to manage it. What does that means ? that you can only bring with you a limited number of items, which you don't even have to use if you choose correctly your jobs. Let's have a look of what you need : equipments (4 slots), spell books if mage, items if warrior, a bit of both if other (4 slots. No, the mage don't need both books and items, seriously), an alternative weapon and accessory just in case your setup is not adapted (2 slots). Total 10 slots, 5 slots left for each characters, more than enough to collect treasures or bring more with you.
Now, some will say "hey, but I need to have books of every elements in case I'm fighting monsters with different weaknesses". No, you don't. I'll quote Sprsk about this :

sprsk said:
I've finished about 6 dungeons and the inventory thing hasn't been a problem for me. Maybe I'm overleveled but I've yet to feel like I lost a boss fight die to equipment. I feel like a lot of the negatives are being overstated.

White mages don't need to carry potions. In fact if you have a white mage no one really does!

Also why give a thief spells?
Just equip what you need. You can't equip a weapon that has all types of elemental damage so why try to equip your Mage with so many books? Pick a base element and then a weak sub element and then change it out depending on the dungeon. I mean, it's pretty clear by looking at what they sell in the shop what the enemies might be weak against (oh they are selling an anti sleep cape, I wonder why!!)

You just gotta be smarter about the way you play.

I'll add that by talking with NPC, you know what to expect.

It may not appeal to some, but I sincerely think the game is really good. Wonderful art direction, good music, pacing and story, lot of things going on, a lot of different interesting jobs never seen in FF before, and let's not forget mini-games, world map and towns (lol).

First of all, any reason why you were typing ‘raw’ instead of ‘row?’ In the beginning I figured it was a typo, but then you typed ‘raw’ multiple times.

No reason, just a stupid spelling mistake... :(

Hobbun

Sinople said:

First, about targeting.
The enemies are divided between front and back raw. Attacks too are divided between those targeting in priority the front raw (mainly physical attacks) and those targeting in priority the back raw (mainly magical attacks). So it's not like you can't choose which enemy you want to kill first, you can actually. Unless you screw up with the job selection and have something like 4 warriors without any skills who can only target the front raw...
In case you want to concentrate on the back raw, use skills and spells.
As for healing, if you have a healer, concentrate on it if you think things may be dangerous. There's no magic point for a reason.

First of all, any reason why you were typing ‘raw’ instead of ‘row?’ In the beginning I figured it was a typo, but then you typed ‘raw’ multiple times.

But as for your argument for targeting, I guess I could live with targeting groups (rows) of enemies, you have had that limitation in Dragon Quest in the past. However, I am not sure what you are getting at in your argument for healing. Those who have played the game are not complaining they can’t concentrate on healing, they are complaining they can’t target specific party members to heal. The game automatically chooses the lowest HP character, and more times than it should be, it is not the party member you want healed. And that you have no magic points to worry about is not the point, it's not being able to target characters for healing at crucial times.

Aurarian

Ugh... That font.
Anyways, I played the first game on the PS and couldn't beat it on normal, and grinding was horrible from what I can remember. I did beat it on easy however, but even that was hard.

Hobbun said:

But as for your argument for targeting, I guess I could live with targeting groups (rows) of enemies, you have had that limitation in Dragon Quest in the past. However, I am not sure what you are getting at in your argument for healing. Those who have played the game are not complaining they can’t concentrate on healing, they are complaining they can’t target specific party members to heal. The game automatically chooses the lowest HP character, and more times than it should be, it is not the party member you want healed. And that you have no magic points to worry about is not the point, it's not being able to target characters for healing at crucial times.

The way the game is set up the 'crucial time' for healing just gets moved back a turn, before the problem of picking between two characters appears. The game's design really takes into account the inability to manually target, and it requires very little getting used to. As the whole system is built around this auto targetting I'm not sure why anyone expected it to change. It's an intentional design feature and not as bad as some people who haven't played it seem to think it is.

The complaining on original release was largely about the item system, because it was the only part that really created inconvenience and only in the sense that you might arrive at the end of a dungeon and find that you have the wrong items for a boss fight.

The game is good, but not great. Charming, but not the best DS game in the genre. To the poster asking about whether to purchase this over DQIX - I wouldn't. But it's not awful and auto targetting is not the massive error some people imagine it to be.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm still really looking forward to it.
Wouldn't be the first time JGAF was totally wrong (from my point of view) about a game I was interested in. That said, I am going into this with lowered expectations. But I think that was always the case.

Skilletor

Sinople said:

First, about targeting.
The enemies are divided between front and back raw. Attacks too are divided between those targeting in priority the front raw (mainly physical attacks) and those targeting in priority the back raw (mainly magical attacks). So it's not like you can't choose which enemy you want to kill first, you can actually. Unless you screw up with the job selection and have something like 4 warriors without any skills who can only target the front raw...
In case you want to concentrate on the back raw, use skills and spells.

Sounds like you can choose which row you wish to attack, not which enemy.

Another instance of taking control and options away from a player. :lol I hope this isn't a trend.

Hobbun

chicken_ramen said:
The way the game is set up the 'crucial time' for healing just gets moved back a turn, before the problem of picking between two characters appears. The game's design really takes into account the inability to manually target, and it requires very little getting used to. As the whole system is built around this auto targetting I'm not sure why anyone expected it to change. It's an intentional design feature and not as bad as some people who haven't played it seem to think it is.

Well, I can’t argue for how the game plays as of course I haven’t played it yet. I can only go by impressions, and as I said, one of the reasons for my preference of turn-based RPG’s is ‘normally’ you can target manually. I don’t see any logical reason to take it away except try to be different or make it more challenging. And neither reason, in my opinion, is good enough in losing complete control over my party members.

Although not sure exactly what you mean by ‘crucial healing is moved back a turn’. You can’t run into the situation where the game heals your fighter, because he is lower HP than your mage and your mage ends up dying because his HP’s are within death range of a hit (due to his lower defense)?

Also, I never said I expected it to change. Would manual targeting be nice for localization? Sure, but it wasn’t something I expected by any means. I was just expressing my feelings on why I don’t like auto-targetting.

Hobbun said:
Well, I can’t argue for how the game plays as of course I haven’t played it yet. I can only go by impressions, and as I said, one of the reasons for my preference of turn-based RPG’s is ‘normally’ you can target manually. I don’t see any logical reason to take it away except try to be different or make it more challenging. And neither reason, in my opinion, is good enough in losing complete control over my party members.

Although not sure exactly what you mean by ‘crucial healing is moved back a turn’. You can’t run into the situation where the game heals your fighter, because he is lower HP than your mage and your mage ends up dying because his HP’s are within death range of a hit (due to his lower defense)?

Also, I never said I expected it to change. Would manual targeting be nice for localization? Sure, but it wasn’t something I expected by any means. I was just expressing my feelings on why I don’t like auto-targetting.

Sorry about that, I was specifically replying to you in one sense but the don't expect it to change comment was more general in nature. Several commenters seem to have expressed the thought that perhaps this could have changed in localisation. It's a cornerstone of the whole design so such a change was highly unlikely.

Also I was coming back to edit my comment on 'moving the critical time back a turn'. I meant that good team health management should keep a person from being in the position where a badly directed heal would be their undoing. I'm now working on memory from some six months ago, but I seriously don't recall ever being in the position where the auto targetting healed the wrong guy and cost me the fight. I'm not saying its impossible I'm just trying to say that it's not as big an issue as you might imagine. And really, the system is all very predictable and therefore completely manageable.

Sinople

Hobbun said:

Sorry for the spelling mistake, it's corrected.

Honestly, I've never lost a battle because the AI healed the wrong character, not a single time. If you use wisely your healer, by storing action points to use a multiple targets spell for example, you shouldn't have problem with that.
But I do understand that not being able to target may not be to your liking. Just give it a try to see if it really bothers you.

Salsa

Bumping for amazing fanart.

2qkjfjn.jpg

Watched some more gameplay videos and this game looks fantastic, cant wait.

Top Bottom