• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV interview/information

Brandon F said:
Interesting stuff. I am worried that the skill-learning system will pretty much make every character a mimic of sorts. Will the uniqueness be lost when suddenly Rydia becomes a kickass summoner, frontline fighter, and can cast the best Black Magic? How does the system work exactly?

Otherwise this all sounds great, but what's that about 25% of original scenario only able to fit on the cart? Was there massive script edits and cuts when FF4 first released?
It could work in a similar way to FFIX's character customization.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
PillowKnight said:
It could work in a similar way to FFIX's character customization.

But unlike that game, aren't you just learning skills from characters that leave the party? Palom/Porom's Twin attacks? Cecil's Dark Knight stuff? Someone that has played the import has to clear this stuff up, the lack of proper explanation gives the whole concept a very tacked-on feel.

At first I was a bit disappointed about the missing Lunar Ruins but then I remembered how awful the additional dungeons were in FF1-2a & 4-6a. Sure sometimes they had some clever ideas but they were buried in so much terribly blah random encounter-filled messes.

Victrix

*beard*
"• Tokita: it's true, only used about 25% of the original scenario due to cart space limitations. But it was a good thing because we refined that 25% and put a lot of thought into it and let the players imagine a lot."

I agree with this a lot, I played FF4 very late (post 2000), and greatly enjoyed it. Short, sweet, fun. Stupendous music, lots of cool characters, interesting encounters, and didn't overstay its welcome.

Mildly curious about the remake, thought FF3 was shit (and I finished it, so I'm the big retard here)

ethelred

Apenheul said:
What does he mean by this? Does he mean that RPGs these days have too explicit graphics and storyline, and that games like FFIV have more subtextual potential?

Here's his full quote: "Nowadays RPGs have a tendency to be excessively drawn out and overly verbose in their storytelling, oftentimes losing their focus along the way. I think the main reason for that might be that there is no longer a concern about wasting space on things that could be cut." He then goes on to say that the potential for storytelling is limitless and new technology will always enhance that but, "people shouldn't do something just because they can. They need to think about what they should and shouldn't do." He makes a painting analogy and says, "having more colors on your palette doesn't necessarily mean the end result will be a masterpiece."

Brandon F said:
Will the uniqueness be lost when suddenly Rydia becomes a kickass summoner, frontline fighter, and can cast the best Black Magic? How does the system work exactly?

I don't think that's terribly likely. You can give her a combat skill, but it's not going to change her stats -- she'll still have low HP, defense, and strength. It would seem a pretty poor use of the augments, and given that they're permanent, well...

Brandon F said:
Otherwise this all sounds great, but what's that about 25% of original scenario only able to fit on the cart? Was there massive script edits and cuts when FF4 first released?

Yup. I'd say about 75%.

charlequin said:
I was saying back on the GBA that Square-Enix should be putting some producers to work on FF4-scale brand new turn-based RPGs under the FF brand, with all new artists, writers and composers to help develop some new teams -- I'm very curious what this project will turn out to be.

Likewise. I'm really interested in this. It's cool that Asano hints at the possibility of new stuff on the scale of FF3/FF4 and Tokita outright says he's working on something new right now with a small team. I think this is one of the best advantages handheld development has to offer, actually -- it lets you try new things with a smaller team, lower budget, and less risk (which can lead to more experimentation).

Sounds great. And although it obviously ranks among the least consequential changes, I do like that nod to FFIX with the use of the term "Eidolons".

Brandon F said:
But unlike that game, aren't you just learning skills from characters that leave the party? Palom/Porom's Twin attacks? Cecil's Dark Knight stuff? Someone that has played the import has to clear this stuff up, the lack of proper explanation gives the whole concept a very tacked-on feel.
I'm just guessing. Yeah, it'd be great if someone who played the import could clear this up.

*reads OP*

....oh sweet tears of joy :D :D :D

Still my favorite Final Fantasy in the franchise and one of my all time favorite RPGs in general

Completely agree with the quote about drawn-out stories in modern jRPGs....i've still yet to finish Lost Odysey =/

Aeana

Brandon F said:

No. You can collect all sorts of abilities, many of which were held by nonplayable characters or even abilities that weren't in the original game at all. There are about 40 of them.

webrunner

ethelred said:
• this is by far the most difficult version of FF4.

My question is, did they do anything about the difficulty SPIKES? I've never finished FF4 because I'd play through fine with no trouble, then suddenly be 5-10 levels too weak to beat the Evil Wall

Son of a bitch. I don't want to only see remakes as well, but after the cocktease that is FFIV, there'll be hell to pay if there is no FFVI or CT update.

Flakster99

*smiles* Thank you for posting the info, ethelred, much appreciated. Now this is what I call a sweet interview. I'm hyped. :)

Apenheul

ethelred said:
Here's his full quote: "Nowadays RPGs have a tendency to be excessively drawn out and overly verbose in their storytelling, oftentimes losing their focus along the way. I think the main reason for that might be that there is no longer a concern about wasting space on things that could be cut." He then goes on to say that the potential for storytelling is limitless and new technology will always enhance that but, "people shouldn't do something just because they can. They need to think about what they should and shouldn't do." He makes a painting analogy and says, "having more colors on your palette doesn't necessarily mean the end result will be a masterpiece."

Ah thanks ethelred, it's really appreciated :)

MoxManiac

• Tokita: it's true, only used about 25% of the original scenario due to cart space limitations. But it was a good thing because we refined that 25% and put a lot of thought into it and let the players imagine a lot.

What does this mean?

MoxManiac said:
• Tokita: it's true, only used about 25% of the original scenario due to cart space limitations. But it was a good thing because we refined that 25% and put a lot of thought into it and let the players imagine a lot.

What does this mean?
It means that due to limitations on the size of the Super Famicom cartridge, they only used a quarter of the script/story they had planned, but it was a good thing, because they carefully chose that quarter, shined that shit up, and left a lot unsaid for the player to figure out.

cress2000

Victrix said:
Mildly curious about the remake, thought FF3 was shit (and I finished it, so I'm the big retard here)
I didn't like FF3 DS either, but I found what I played of the FF4 DS import far, far more enjoyable. I think it's the best version of the game by a landslide. It's great.

MoxManiac

Segata Sanshiro said:
It means that due to limitations on the size of the Super Famicom cartridge, they only used a quarter of the script/story they had planned, but it was a good thing, because they carefully chose that quarter, shined that shit up, and left a lot unsaid for the player to figure out.

Oh, so they were talking about the original version? I thought they had cut 75% of FF4 for the DS version.

Teasel

Segata Sanshiro said:
if i think that the story of ff4 can be pretty summed up in
everybody makes the ultimate sacrifice but then lives trough
i would really want to know what the rest 75% of the manuscript was

Desi

I hate FFIV with all my being except for spells having casting time (why that wasn't used again till tactics/X-2 I don't know). I want this game day one though!

Top Bottom