• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX: Memoria (Fan) Project - Full Gameplay Demo | UE5 Remake (holy F)

Go_Ly_Dow

Given that Square is (possibly) developing its own remake of FF IX, I suppose it's a bad time for that. lol
Lets set expectations already, there's no chance of these kinda of production values in any remake for FF9.

Alexandria, Evil Forest, Limblum, Treno, Burmecia, Cleyra, Terra, to name but a few locations, not to mention the world map. Too big for them to give the entire game this sort of treatment within a reasonable budget and development timeframe.

I'm expecting fixed camera angles, 4k newly created pre-rendered backgrounds, redone CGI, refreshed soundtrack and essentially the same game fundamentally. But i'd be very happy with that and play the shit out of it.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Does that logic only applies to people that have opinions contrary to yours?

Do you apply that logic to game journalists and "influencers" as well when they say good things about the games you like?

Was Roger Ebert known for directing the best movies ever to be able to criticize movies?

I think you know the answer.
I don’t think Ebert or actual professionals would use the hyperbolic language you used to describe what looks like a really nice creative work. Ebert would describe what he thought wasn’t working and such. I don’t think he’d just say “this looks horrible,” because he got to where he was because he had insightful comments, which that isn’t.

NahaNago

This looks pretty good and at the same time impressive. I'm kind of mixed on the visual style. It reminds me of kingdom hearts or world of final fantasy.

Larxia

Looks too cartoonish. Reminds me more of fortnites look than anything.
That's the feeling I got too kinda.
It's still very impressive, I really don't want to downplay the work that has been down on this, I just think that there is something that was lost in the overall aesthetic.

I think the problem for me is the look of the texture / materials, they are too cartoony, giving it a kind of cardboard look, it reminds me of World of warcraft (in the style, of course this looks better technically). I think it would have been better with more realistic materials, while still keeping a very fantasy / animation vibe through the lighting and colors.

Still a pretty cool demo, was interesting to watch, especially to see these scenes with a free camera instead of the fixed camera angle, I really like that.

Last edited:

mopspear

I think it's a bad idea in general to spend so much time on a game development project that #1 you can't sell, and #2 is so likely to get shut down and then all your work goes in the toilet. That being said, sometimes people do get jobs out of this from being noticed and to be a hypocrite, I will defend AM2R's existence until the end of time.

Rickyiez

Looks cool and clearly there are alot of efforts went into it . But yea , something is really off from it like the cartoonish color palette and clay looking characters , it doesn't really capture the vibe of FF9 world . Like if you take away Vivi from the video , you couldn't even tell its FF9

Just to jog the memory ...

QKUSjE8.jpeg

q6Qy1UK.jpeg

8zRTYpb.jpeg

9VVWCok.jpeg

CKGGA1q.jpeg

It's more muted and grittier , I supposed .

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

For a fan remake PoC, they really nailed the intro. The shots and angles are pretty much perfect. Also I actually quite like the clay-ish art style.

Plus, I think they did a good job of making the voice acting sound like something you might actually get from a Squeenix remake, it wasn't too cringey but also didn't take itself too seriously.
(especially 6:03 "Why it's another fake!" was well delivered IMO)

Last edited:
Top Bottom