• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy real time tech demo - Luminous Studio [Up3: Survey/Screens/Video]

Durante

They should release it for PC for people to run.

I'm not sure what they'd get out of it, but I want it. Maybe get more people excited about S-E / FF again?

I'm not sure what they'd get out of it, but I want it. Maybe get more people excited about S-E / FF again?

Just as a benchmark. People love comparing fps they get with their rigs. + lots of new wallpapers in that 2012 PC Screenshot thread!

Glass Rebel

Not like they're interested in PC development aside from MMOs anyway. The survey only mentions consoles :(

They should just release an SE branded PC tower with all the consumer-available components used to run the demo, already built together into one package with FF artwork on the exterior. The tech-demo is a great seller. SE has been rubbing me the wrong way pretty much this entire gen, but I'd day-1 a PC package of that sort if they released it.

beril

If HD towns were too hard imagine how hard it will be with these graphics. With SEs current pace FFXV will be out just in time for christmas 2025

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I can't wait for all the Square Enix games that look like this tech demo, just like all the PS2 games that looked like that Final Fantasy VIII tech demo and all the PS3 games that looked like that Final Fantasy VII tech demo. Oh wait...
People really need to go back and watch the tech demo's during the PS2 era.... 99% of those demos were properly shat upon once MGS2 was released, which was what, a year or so after the consoles release? And FF12 laughs@ that FF8 tech demo.

FF7 demo still looks good by todays standards, but it's not head and shoulders better than the best of the best this gen.

There really is no reason to doubt Square's ability to live up to graphical expectations. Their track record is pretty solid.

Chev

If HD towns were too hard imagine how hard it will be with these graphics. With SEs current pace FFXV will be out just in time for christmas 2025

They've been hiring procedural content generation programmers, which is exactly what they need to adress that kind of problem.

Square Enix definetely fired their shots, now it's the turn of the FOX ENGINE from Kojima.
It would be a curious turns of events if overseas engines will come on top nextgen.

The battle of tools.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I want to believe, but I've never seen a game look as good as a tech demo for the same generation.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
There's a lengthy vid on gametrailers on the demo: Around 13:00 they compare it to the CGI version, holds up pretty well.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-agnis-philosophy/731978

Damn that is impressive.

Not only that, but it look VERY doable with even modest next gen hardware.

When moving the camera around, you can see that even though it LOOKS amazing as a total package, on close inspection it really is not unbelievable at all. Which is awesome.

raven777

Also they confirm they were running it on high-end PC that you can buy, which means its not running in workstations or anything. But they could be running it on quad-sli GTX690 :p

Alex

That Square will be fucking READY come next gen. They won't be bogged down in this generation engine scrambling around trying to add features like they did with FF12 engine when PS3 came around and had to start from scratch.

Even if their tech is ready I question if they have the talent to do anything with it or if the management won't let everything go to pot, again. I really feel like their engine design has got to be the least of their worries at the moment considering even when they ship after giant dev cycles, their actual game design is ruinous.

On another note I also feel like they had the level of globalization they now want with Final Fantasy XII, without the forced style of Call of Duty rammed directly into Final Fantasy. Warts in that game aside, it was such a good choice for reiteration with its aesthetics and system design and it would have also allowed some vision in getting the brand stabilized and on a proper release schedule, it could saved some lumps. They seem stuck in this limbo where they just dont know where they want to go and everything is starting to feel more focus grouped.

Oh well, we'll see,even them stumbling around in the dark is still pretty interesting to me.

Hashimoto couldn't specify when Luminous-powered games will hit the market, but he smiled and said, "It won't be that far from now."

I'd imagine it'd mean FFXIV PS3, no? Didn't they engine swap for 2.0?

DJIzana

Heroine pure as snow attacked by gun toting darkies.

Keep up the good work, Square.

Going the by the old going (he harsh reminds me of the caped, old white guy in Versus XIII too btw.) I think those guys doing the summoning are the bad guys, no?

He was talking about reigning destruction so I figured THEY were actually the evil guys. xD

Mario007

3 years is a reasonable bet, assuming the engine is almost finish. The SE console games that took forever were released with a CGI graphic and then the engine was still being finished up and we didn't get to see any real footage until a few years down the line. Here you have an engine potentially pretty much ready.

Top Bottom