• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy real time tech demo - Luminous Studio [Up3: Survey/Screens/Video]

jaxword

If they thought it would take too long to do it on PS3, it's not going to get any easier on PS4. It's not like the movie's assets can just be copy-pasted into a game, aside from maybe the character models.

il2u93iVk9Zdx.gif

Majukun

impressive..but all that will be useless if all that details means no interaction whatsoever with the game's world like in FF XIII..i would highly prefer less details and more explorable zones

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
impressive..but all that will be useless if all that details means no interaction whatsoever with the game's world like in FF XIII..i would highly prefer less details and more explorable zones
Agreed.

No more Disneyland the ride type limitations where I can look but not touch.

Clott

how about just jacked-up pre-rendered backgrounds, ala the original?

Or would that disappoint too many people? :p

I would have no issues. I think they should release new renditions with pre-rendered backgrounds, it created incredible atmosphere and do you really need 3d invoroments?

The focus of an RPG is story and the battle system anyway.

Cheddahz

Banned
Good job Square, but I want you guys to actually make decent RPGs for once, I mean crap, it's been like six years since Final Fantasy XII came out..

how about just jacked-up pre-rendered backgrounds, ala the original?

Or would that disappoint too many people? :p

Would look extremely silly in 2012 and SE will probably get laughed at for cheaping out like that.

Unless they plan on making it a cheap PSN/Xbox Arcade/iOS download.

People expect something like the FF7 tech demo. Anything less than that would hurt SE's rep more than help it. The problem is that that vision is just too ambitious.

CorvoSol

Good job Square, but I want you guys to actually make decent RPGs for once, I mean crap, it's been like six years since Final Fantasy XII came out..

Did you play Four Heroes of Light yet? It feels pretty decent. And I just finished Type-0, and it felt spot-on.

Tigel

While impressive, bear in mind that it's only a tech demo. Creating a game with assets of this quality would cost way too much.

CorvoSol

I don't have a DS, so Four Heroes is out of question and I'm actually looking forward to Type-0, seems sweet

Ah, well, there you go. Four Heroes of Light was a pretty decent FF game, I thought, though I disliked the inventory limits and the fact that I barely made use of the crowns until a certain point in the game because the story limited me to 2 party members most of the time.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/393-square-enix-luminous-studio-interview

RPG Site: So, first up - the aesthetic of a lot of this, the guys with the guns, all that stuff - it looks very Western, but mashed against all these Final Fantasy elements - Agni looks totally Final Fantasy, for instance. It seems kind of East-meets-West - was that deliberate?
Yoshihisa Hashimoto: Yeah! Yeah - we were very conscious about it. We wanted to make sure that we would appeal to the Western people more with this demo. [...]

More at the site :p

The above is me and Kagari. Kagari's got a general impressions thing from the fleshed-out real time demo coming, too, which includes some side-cuts from about 15 minutes of on-the-record chat that wasn't part of the main interview, so there'll be that, too.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
While impressive, bear in mind that it's only a tech demo. Creating a game with assets of this quality would cost way too much.
Seems like they've been making assets of this quality for awhile. They just ended up going into the CG instead of the game.

In the interview just posted, they actually confirm that some of the assets being used in this are straight up from Visual Works. They had Visual Works, the CG team, create a proof version of this trailer, and then tried to match it as closely as they could with the real-time engine.

Kagari and I saw both running side-by-side and it was pretty bloody impressive and close, even though the Visual Works one was a rougher, unfinished version.

They pulled some assets from the CGI version directly, and they view this as an ideal pipeline for future games. It'll be easier on a Final Fantasy if they can pull assets from the CG scenes and use them in gameplay. Think FF13, for instance - the assets for that 'Hanged Edge' area in the game's opening were created twice - once in CG by Visual Works and once at a gameplay level. Being able to share assets across the two should be a time saver whilst presumably making for more smooth transitions from CG to gameplay.

The issue, they admit, is compression. They say one Blu-ray probably won't be enough, even with compression - and in the case of this video, a lot of the ex-CG assets weren't compressed at all.

http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/393-square-enix-luminous-studio-interview

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
If i'm going for a Final Fantasy, it's not because i need my Middle Eastern guys with guns fix.
Everytime a Japanese dev tries to appeal to the western market with the lowest common denominator (in this case Arab terrorists enemies) it ends up bad.

Have you ever played Panzer Dragoon Saga? A lot of that concept is very similar to what we see in this and if they can execute it with the same quality the former game was able to accomplish then this could perhaps be one of the best Final Fantasy worlds in some time. The potential already is huge.

Top Bottom