• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Type-0 Official Trial Version Thread

Okay, after playing a quick mission, I really hope they add the option to toggle lock-on with R instead of hold to lock-on. Fighting seems mostly straightforward, you get a basic melee attack and some magic attacks which consume MP. Between encounters, your HP slowly regenerates, or you can hold X while not moving to block and charge a healing spell.

Not having 2 analog sticks is killing this game. Why the hell aren't L and R used to rotate the camera? Having camera controls on the D-pad and then movement on the analog nub seems intentionally designed to completely piss you off, you can move or rotate the camera but not both? Auto-facing and camera lock with the lock-on sort of helps with that, though it does mean your movements are then restricted to relative to your enemy instead of free-roaming around the arena.

The graphics are top-shelf for the PSP, anyways. Plenty of pre-rendered cutscenes abound in this 335 MB demo. If the whole game is full of cutscenes like this, it's not hard to imagine why this game will ship on 2 UMDs.

thetrin said:
I'm enjoying the combat, but I feel like half the time, my attacks are doing like, no damage to enemies.

You have to watch large enemy patterns.
You may notice a moment, usually after a certain attack, when it's vulnerable.
If you are targeting when that happens, the reticle will shift to a more elaborate design and turn yellow and a chime will ring.
These are your chances to do big damage with physical attacks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
Probably because it's terrible and keeps you from using the characters you want.
It seems pretty non-terrible from what I've played so far. I trust humans over AI any day.

Aeana

thetrin said:
It seems pretty non-terrible from what I've played so far. I trust humans over AI any day.
You're not playing with humans in the demo. It's simulated. It's still AI people.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm not trying out the demo because I don't play rpg demos, but is the bump of chicken song featured in this demo? I just want to hear the song, lol

Skilletor

Ace is badass.

I've never been able to get remotejoy working. Are there newer/easier to use versions?

Man, every character has so much personality in their animations. It's really fun just cycling through the characters and seeing how they move/act/attack.

Tiduz said:
how o_o

i use prometheus

Upgrade your PSP to a 6.xx CFW. There's no reason to use a 5.xx series firmware anymore anyways. Type-O demo requires 6.39+ from what I've heard, so you can upgrade to stock 6.39 and use a CFW of 6.39. I like 6.39 PRO-B8, some people prefer 6.39 ME-8/LME-8.

...played two missions, one maining Rem which I think was a tutorial, the other with Ace, with Queen and Sice in the back. The tutorial with Rem didn't help me grasp the controls that much, but I did end up summoning Shiva by accident; control was a bit loose, but I quickly got used to it.

Then, of course, there's the camera. Playing as Rem, it was was very finicky, but once I played as Ace I thoguht it worked a lot better. Died both times, but I chalk it up to not knowing Japanese and therefore not being able to grasp the tutorial at all.

REALLY like the combat and I think it has potential, although I think it could be a bit faster, mostly with dodging attacks. Will play with the other characters a bit with more impressions, but my time with the demo is overall rather positive.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
You're not playing with humans in the demo. It's simulated. It's still AI people.
I figured as much. I was hoping for actual online. Oh well.

Nix

Banned
Amir0x said:
ugh sounds bad so far based on impressed

that'll learn me to anticipate something from the fuckin' Crisis Core team

What is this!? Crisis Core was fucking great
If you got to the end

Fuck me. It's at 89% DL'd, and I think it just stalled.

Aeana

Unknown Soldier said:
Okay, after playing a quick mission, I really hope they add the option to toggle lock-on with R instead of hold to lock-on.
There is one. Go into the config.

I guess I'll take some screenshots and translate after all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hurry the fuck up Japan Official site.

Does that download even work on 6.39 CFW's?

Takao

Banned
I wonder if the full game will have god mode like BBS where it drains the PSP's battery for the best visuals.

I'm really enjoying the combat system even though I also inadvertently summoned Shiva, lol. It's just dat camera, and my lack of Japanese.

TheSeks

Takao said:
I wonder if the full game will have god mode like BBS where it drains the PSP's battery for the best visuals.

For those of us that don't play Kingdom Hearts: Explain.

thetrin

Skilletor said:
Ace is badass.

I've never been able to get remotejoy working. Are there newer/easier to use versions?

Man, every character has so much personality in their animations. It's really fun just cycling through the characters and seeing how they move/act/attack.
Any man who fights with cards is basically the best character.

Honestly, my only problem with the game right now is the camera, which is a shortcoming of the PSP, rather than the game itself.

I really enjoy the combat, thought it took be a bit to get used to it. Now that I'm getting the hang of it, I'm loving it.

TheSeks said:
Does that download even work on 6.39 CFW's?

Um, yes. Did you read the thread? Specifically my posts?

Transfer the demo to your PSP using Media Go. It works fine with my PSP-2000 running 6.39 PRO-B8.

duckroll

I'm trying to make the game play better by tuning the controls and configurations bit by bit. I'm almost to the point where the game can be understood enough that I can sorta enjoy it. The camera still sucks massively, and I think combat tempo is pretty poor. The game expects a certain amount of fast reaction from the player, but it's just so hard to see anything on screen. The camera is one problem, but the limited field of view is another issue. Most of the time combat is in close quarters and short ranges, but it's impossible to tell what is going on or what attacks to anticipate from enemies. Often I just end up mashing buttons and hoping for the best.

:/

Seda

TheSeks said:

BBS has a mode where you can have it playing at 333mhz or 222mhz. The 333Mhz option obviously had much better performance, but at the cost of the battery.

thetrin

duckroll said:
I'm trying to make the game play better by tuning the controls and configurations bit by bit. I'm almost to the point where the game can be understood enough that I can sorta enjoy it. The camera still sucks massively, and I think combat tempo is pretty poor. The game expects a certain amount of fast reaction from the player, but it's just so hard to see anything on screen. The camera is one problem, but the limited field of view is another issue. Most of the time combat is in close quarters and short ranges, but it's impossible to tell what is going on or what attacks to anticipate from enemies. Often I just end up mashing buttons and hoping for the best.

:/

I'm only having issues when enemies are right above me, and the camera freaks out. Otherwise, I can see everything I'm fighting, and I just use lock on to see what I'm fighting.

Just finished the demo.

I don't mind the camera too much with the exception of using the summons. I quite like the combat though and once I got the hang of what I was doing things just kind of clicked from there.

Not really a lot to go by as far as the final product is concerned but I like what we got.

duckroll

Seda said:
BBS has a mode where you can have it playing at 333Mhz or some other lower option. The 333Mhz option obviously had much better performance, but at the cost of the battery.

I think both T3B and Type-0 already use 333mhz as default.

Kyon

Banned
TheSeks said:
in Config, there are options to use more power/memory from the psp to make the game run faster, better. it drains the battery quick though

EDIT: beaten so hard

Just played as Sice; a bit slow, but she's a heavy hitter. Another thinkg I learned is that it does take a bit for the magic to charge and attack. Died again, now using Nine.

Takao

Banned
duckroll said:
I think both T3B and Type-0 already use 333mhz as default.

There was also the ability to fix the colours, which made the game look smoother IIRC. Did The 3rd Birthday (which I didn't play) have that?

Running BBS in god mode makes a good looking game look gorgeous.

duckroll

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
There's an option that got rid of the dithering, but it drains the battery. The game looked far better with that option turned on.

No, that's not accurate. BbS has two different settings. The 32-bit color mode does not drain more battery, but it could cause framerate drops and slowdown when there's too much going on. To offset that, there is a different setting which runs the game at 333mhz instead of 222mhz, that drains the battery faster but allows for a smoother experience when playing.

Aeana

yreEK.jpg

Up/down rotation (inverted or normal)
Left/right rotation (inverted or normal)
Command setup - you can choose 3 types, with the attack types assigned to different face buttons depending on the setting.
Lock on setting - switch between hold R and toggle R
Sub command setting - this is the menu that comes up when you hold L. You can set it to use either the dpad buttons (default) or the face buttons.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now that I've delved into the actual story missions, I don't really like the battle system very much. It's kind of "odd", really, but maybe it's the demo which makes it seem that way. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it, but it isn't jiving too much with me at the moment... sometimes it seems okay, but sometimes it seems like it's not very good at all. I'm still going to purchase the game, sure. But I'm not sure if I like the demo experience, unfortunately.

Kill/Break Sights feel okay to me. Machina seems like the easiest character to use and beast through missions/training missions with. Sice seems to require more precision and timing to me. I kinda liked using Sice in the practice missions, though. She's slow, but she hits hard.

Also, being able to turn that simulated multiplayer aspect off is a major plus. Ugh.

The lack of a right stick and the camera itself is really hurting my enjoyment, though. The action is pretty fast-paced, and the camera just feels like such a hassle to manipulate. Being caught in a small space with that camera is not very pleasant at all.

Music is great and the presentation is pretty; I really like the war setting here. I like the visual aesthetic of the places, characters and rooms a lot.

Kagari said:
If the camera is tweaked for this version, I can only imagine how bad it originally was.
No kidding... sheesh! -_-

Skilletor

thetrin said:
I'm only having issues when enemies are right above me, and the camera freaks out. Otherwise, I can see everything I'm fighting, and I just use lock on to see what I'm fighting.

Yeah. I'm not having any difficulty.

I'm having a lot of fun playing with every character.

The demo is pretty easy. I hope there is a difficulty option in the final version.

thetrin

I'm a little curious how much of the game is going to follow this disjointed mission structure. I'm actually a fan of it, so I hope it's not just for demo purposes. :p

duckroll

It's really hard to be honestly enthusiastic about the combat here considering how I just played the shit out of BbS FM in the last 2 weeks. It's really amazing what a huge gap there is in terms of fun action combat from BbS and all of S-E's other action RPG titles.

TheSeks

duckroll said:
No, that's not accurate. BbS has two different settings. The 32-bit color mode does not drain more battery, but it could cause framerate drops and slowdown when there's too much going on. To offset that, there is a different setting which runs the game at 333mhz instead of 222mhz, that drains the battery faster but allows for a smoother experience when playing.

Interesting. I'd have to see screenshots of this mode(s). I don't recall PE3 having that and I did notice the dithering in that.

BTW, Ducky, since you have played PE3 and can crush my soul once more with this: Your impressions on this compared to PE3: Better/worse/even?

Teknoman

About to finish downloading...but so far it seems like the game would work better as a PSP remaster/Vita title? I guess this is why DS/3DS titles usually rely on predetermined angles or use the touch screen for camera control.

Honestly if the camera works similar to Monster Hunter, wont be a problem for me.

Aeana

I'm finding the combat more enjoyable as Rem than any of the others. For some reason doing the break sight thing with her is easiest for me.

thetrin

Aeana said:
I'm finding the combat more enjoyable as Rem than any of the others. For some reason doing the break sight thing with her is easiest for me.
Rem is fun, but I also really love Makina and the one with the cards (Ace?). The rest don't really do it for me.

Wow, the graphics are amazing - a bit on the darker side too which is nice (that poor chocobo). I like the combat but the camera is pretty clunky. I think that games on the PSVita will have it good with that dual stick. I think that Sice is pretty cool.

I'm enjoying the demo from what I've played so far. The training mission allows you to collect fantoma and you can level up in it. The color of fantoma you get is based on what kind of magic you used on the enemy to kill it. Melee attacks only gives you white which seems useless. There is a quest to hand in 10 red fantoma, you get a costume for it. So far I have 3 costumes.

Anyone who wants to discuss the game instead of taking a dump on it can add me on psn. deliciousdoc

TheSeks

Okay, loaded. 6.39 is the firmware that's needed. So bwhahahahaha suck it Sony.

Um... graphics: Yeah, they're pretty. I think they're somewhat better than PE3 right now in the first few minutes as I haven't seen the dithering that is common in the grey/black of PE3. But I'm sure it'll show it's ugly head soon.

LMGTFY: 6.39 firmware download
6.39-TN

Enjoy!

Aeana

DeliciousDoc said:
I'm enjoying the demo from what I've played so far. The training mission allows you to collect fantoma and you can level up in it. The color of fantoma you get is based on what kind of magic you used on the enemy to kill it. Melee attacks only gives you white which seems useless. There is a quest to hand in 10 red fantoma, you get a costume for it. So far I have 3 costumes.

Anyone who wants to discuss the game instead of taking a dump on it can add me on psn. deliciousdoc
Well, that's silly. Negative comments are discussion too.

Top Bottom