• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Type-0 Official Trial Version Thread

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
thetrin said:
Okay, so basically, you only get Fantoma of a specific color when you kill something aligned to that color, but if you're facing more than 2 things, it's not worth it, because bodies disappear while you're fighting?

That is the single dumbest idea I've ever heard for an RPG. it makes farming fantoma infinitely more frustrating.
This kind of ticked me off too. I was taking on multiple enemies at a time, but I wanted to gather the Phantoma. I try to acquire it, but I'm pushed into another battle instead, or I need to take out other enemies rather than quickly gather the Phantoma. It's annoying, really.

Also, thanks Astery for the summer uniform guide! :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dark Schala said:
This kind of ticked me off too. I was taking on multiple enemies at a time, but I wanted to gather the Phantoma. I try to acquire it, but I'm pushed into another battle instead, or I need to take out other enemies rather than quickly gather the Phantoma. It's annoying, really.

Also, thanks Astery for the summer uniform guide! :D
You can't even ignore enemies and gather Fantoma. The game FORCES you to target living targets.

Either they need to allow you to gather fantoma from multiple enemies, keep bodies on the ground after death, or reassign the fantoma gathering buttons so you don't HAVE to target living targets when you just want to farm things.

In fact, they should do all of those things. How no one on the QA team has brought this up to the team is beyond me. It's a glaring flaw.

Also, did anyone notice some enemies will drop Fantoma NOT aligned to what you killed them with. I killed multiple enemies with fire, and picked up blue or purple fantoma from them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I wouldn't say so. It's a good game with great potential (Fantoma, abilities, crystarium etc.) but as for now, the battle system is a bit flawed, mostly because of the camera controls and other minor annoyances. If they fix that, it will be the best FF game this gen imo.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm on the fence concerning the game at the moment. I kind of want to get it, but at the same time, this fantoma crap is going to get maddening. I don't even have issues with the camera.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
jling84 said:
I just need to know, is this FF's return to glory that I've been hoping for?

Difficult to say. If they fix many of the issues that have already been voiced in these threads, I could definitely see this game having great potential.

Astery

thetrin said:
You can't even ignore enemies and gather Fantoma. The game FORCES you to target living targets.

Either they need to allow you to gather fantoma from multiple enemies, keep bodies on the ground after death, or reassign the fantoma gathering buttons so you don't HAVE to target living targets when you just want to farm things.

As I've said, you can target a corpse by switching targets with up/ down on the d-pad instead of left/ right. press R+ ^ or R+v.

Skilletor said:
What do you use Fantoma for?
Mainly for upgrading magic skills, which is not available in the demo.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well, I guess that's it and there's nothing more to see in the demo. Played with all the characters, summoned Shiva/Golem a few times and cleared all the missions. Writing an article with impressions is the only thing left to do.

As for the game itself, I think I'll pick it up day 1.

warpaint

ok i'm downloading the link from this this thread, having never downloading right off a site before what do i need to do after its done ? if it diffent as i'm using a Mac?

thetrin

Astery said:
As I've said, you can target a corpse by switching targets with up/ down on the d-pad instead of left/ right. press R+ ^ or R+v.

Well, that's a lot better.

Dunan

duckroll said:
- Camera is horrible. It's basically borderline unplayable at times. Not an exaggeration. L and R not panning the camera left and right is really bad, but the game uses so many buttons they don't really have any other choice. Awful.

One choice they have is to customize all the buttons, not just the ones they want us to.

The camera really brings down what's otherwise a rush of hectic fun. I'm really enjoying what I've done so far:

* Many test fights in that forest area that the Salon moogle brings you to. I tried out seven or eight of the characters just to get a feel for how to control them. This is where ym intense dislike of the camera got started!

* Grabbed a summer uniform ("Kate's"? Is there a character with that name?) from the woman in the green pants after she asked me, out in the front courtyard, to find 10 Phantoma. Talk to her inside the salon and you'll get the prize.

* The first real mission -- I took 29 minutes the first time because I had no idea a clock was running!

* Trying to decipher the writing on the walls and streets. I think I've got some of the letters figured out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
thetrin said:

In fact, they should do all of those things. How no one on the QA team has brought this up to the team is beyond me. It's a glaring flaw.

Also, did anyone notice some enemies will drop Fantoma NOT aligned to what you killed them with. I killed multiple enemies with fire, and picked up blue or purple fantoma from them.
I think keeping bodies on the ground until you gather the Phantoma is the best idea here. Sometimes I could target downed enemies to gather Phantoma, but then the reticle switches to the nearest living enemy quickly. Trying to fend off oncoming enemies while manoeuvring the camera while trying to use the D-pad (Up/Down) + R and gather Phantoma at the same time is a little silly. I understand the premise behind it (quick and seamless, which I've gotten the hang of a little more), but it's just a little silly.

The button placement on this thing sometimes makes me chuckle to myself, though.

And yes. When I killed some enemies with fire spells (with anyone), sometimes I got Purple and the rare Blue Phantoma. I thought that was a little odd too.

I don't think the demo is adequate enough to make a good judgement as to whether this FF will be good or not. For example, I disliked FFXII's demo very much, but I ended up liking the main game (and IZJS even more so). There aren't a lot of RPG demos that I've liked, so I kind of want to chalk it up to, "It's just a demo and there's some shit that needs to be improved. Hopefully they will be improved prior to release." It has a lot of potential, though. It just needs a few fixes (camera, some battle system stuff, etc), and it'll be good. I kinda like the demo more now that I've spent more time with it. Enough to look over some of its shortcomings.

I do have to say once again that I like the atmosphere, music and presentation, though. Needed more Takahiro Sakurai. :3

Dunan said:
("Kate's"? Is there a character with that name?)
I think Kate (and here I was reading it as Keito without putting two and two together) is new.

RpgN

Astery said:
sure, I don't notice much difference when I'm lv 15 in that mission anyway, you get killed within 2 hits max by the big mechs, most are still 1 hit kills. lure and take out the smaller mechs first and then clear some of the big mechs 1 by 1.

Okay, I'll give this a try tomorrow. I wonder if the game is going to be like that or just because it's a demo...And thanks!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
StuBurns said:
So, sorry if it's been covered, but is it working on CFW?
Yeah, 6.20 and above, plus there's a patched version floating around for the lower ones.

warpaint

ok right its on my PSP now
damn dude thats pretty, think i'll take it to work and have a play around with it at lunchtime

My observations:

Yes, sometimes you do get fantoma of a different colour from what you used to kill them. I'm not sure but I think this is due to whatever the AI is using to damage them. My theory on "rare" fantoma is that if you hit something with both fire and ice, the result will be purple. Looting fantoma is indeed an issue, you also need to get fantoma to get items which doesn't help. I wonder how all of it will fit in multiplayer. I hope they are aware of it because it looks like you'll need thousands of a specific color to max a magic. Leveling up seems cheap but if it's 1 point at a time, it adds up quick.

I think you only get white fantoma if you used physical attacks exclusively. Considering white is worth 5 gil I doubt there is a use for it in the full game but you never know.

Based on what pops up on screen, helping others in missions gives you points based on performance. Wonder what it's for? rare items? costumes? Trade for Fantoma?

summons level up quicker than your characters. I used shiva on mission 4 and she wrecked everything and gained over 10 levels. I couldn't kill everything with her but she helped a lot and made things a lot more manageable. If that mission is in retail, a lightning summon might be able to wipe everything in the area if it moves quickly like Shiva.

Characters have affinities to certain elements although they all benefit from boosting the base spell. A lot of the better casters are stronger with lightning than other elements and the nastiest enemies are mechs so if you are having trouble, load up.

Others can cast heal on you but I couldn't figure out how to cast it on others.

Wall blocks projectiles and melee but only the enemies'. Melee attacks tend to shatter it faster from observation.

Stamina (the gauge under your summon icon) seems to refill when you attack without using stamina.

The accessories sold in the shop in acuve (?) are twice or 4 times as strong as what you start equipped with. You can look there for help if you have trouble with some missions.

I was wondering what people thought about queen. Her special attack heals nearby allies while damaging nearby enemies but her defense is low so she isn't suited for close combat unless you dodge a lot. Is the main use of her ability a heal or damage? What do you think?

Labadal

They could solve the phantoma problem by having all of the phantoma during a fight drop when the last enemy dies. Let's say you kill one enemy with fire first and one with ice. You get both fire and ice phantoma when both are dead.

I see no other way. Or just automatically give us the phantoma, less of a headache.

Slime

Banned
I really did not like whatever the hell I just played at all. If I end up getting it'll be for Vita because these controls are terrible, but I'm definitely not sold on the gameplay. And I don't think I ever will be.

Great redemptive ray-of-hope Final Fantasy title, this is not.

Slime said:
I really did not like whatever the hell I just played at all. If I end up getting it'll be for Vita because these controls are terrible, but I'm definitely not sold on the gameplay. And I don't think I ever will be.

I agree with you; the battle system and controls are just bizarre in a bad way. I wish it either played more like Birth By Sleep, which is a competent action game, or was just turn-based like FFX. Either one of those would mitigate the terrible, terrible camera and all of the other dumb systems in place.

Not being able to pause the game while you use the menu is stupid, too. Multiplayer concessions ruin the usability and convenience of yet another single player game.

nckillthegrimace said:
I agree with you; the battle system and controls are just bizarre in a bad way. I wish it either played more like Birth By Sleep, which is a competent action game, or was just turn-based like FFX. Either one of those would mitigate the terrible, terrible camera and all of the other dumb systems in place.

Not being able to pause the game while you use the menu is stupid, too. Multiplayer concessions ruin the usability and convenience of yet another single player game.
Sounds like the same problem that plagued Crisis Core: doesn't know if it wants to be a turn based or an action game. That, and being on the PSP.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
DeliciousDoc said:
The accessories sold in the shop in acuve (?) are twice or 4 times as strong as what you start equipped with. You can look there for help if you have trouble with some missions.

I was wondering what people thought about queen. Her special attack heals nearby allies while damaging nearby enemies but her defense is low so she isn't suited for close combat unless you dodge a lot. Is the main use of her ability a heal or damage? What do you think?
I wish I had gone to the town before I tried the third mission, I really did. If I had known you could buy the accessories beforehand, I would have tried to accrue money instead of trying to grind and use lightning spells + dodging/luring enemies to certain spots.

I didn't like using Queen much (she was the first character I used), and hence my experience with the demo at first was pretty sour (mostly because her defense was low, but she has some good attacks). It seems like she's more for support to me (looks like that's what her special skill seems to be for), and with regards to linear attacks, I liked using Nine better (but that might be because I got used to the system).

Now that I'm more used to the system, I should try her out again and try to get used to her.

nckillthegrimace said:
Not being able to pause the game while you use the menu is stupid, too.
It is kind of dumb sometimes.

*Press Start*
*remembers that just pressing start doesn't do anything*
*Press Circle to actually pause the game while still in the menu*

I constantly forget to press circle when I want to pause it...

kiryogi

Banned
nckillthegrimace said:
But I'm playing by myself. The game should know that and make adjustments.

You can play by yourself in PSOnline as well and there's no proper pause. At least there's an actual pause option here. In PSonline, its go go go, never a frozen moment.

Slime said:

Not to sound like a pessimist, but after playing any high production value Final Fantasy in the last few years, were you really holding out hope? I'll tell you right now that Versus XIII most likely isn't going to be much better. It might be good, but I doubt the game is going to be anywhere above B-tier, where Final Fantasy used to represent some of the best games in gaming.

Hopefully they'll be able to incorporate some of the feedback from the demo.

Astery

Dark Schala said:
I didn't like using Queen much (she was the first character I used), and hence my experience with the demo at first was pretty sour (mostly because her defense was low, but she has some good attacks). It seems like she's more for support to me (looks like that's what her special skill seems to be for), and with regards to linear attacks, I liked using Nine better (but that might be because I got used to the system).

Now that I'm more used to the system, I should try her out again and try to get used to her.
Queen's command skill damages enemies while absorbing it and turning it to your own HP, also recovering HP of allies when they are within the area....To be honest I don't find it much useful lol.

I had no idea what I was doing because of I dont know Japanese, but I had a lot of fun with the demo. I did two missions; the one with the spider mech on the buildings, and the snow/ice area. Love the graphics, and the character animations, and the little that was shown of the world map was mouth watering. There was some slow down during frantic battles, but it didnt really bother me.

Really hope this makes it to NA, on either PSP or Vita launch title.

Kaizer

Banned
Anyone know where the option to turn off the Simulated Multiplayer is in the settings. I can't read Japanese so I'm just pressing random stuff and nothing works.

Kaizer said:
Anyone know where the option to turn off the Simulated Multiplayer is in the settings. I can't read Japanese so I'm just pressing random stuff and nothing works.

It's the last screen before the mission starts.
Usually three options, top option is greyed out. Bottom option is to not have simulated multiplayer.

KTallguy

Banned
My impressions:

Fix the camera jankyness (I don't mind the implementation, just the problems in close quarters) and up-res it for VITA please.

Jigsaw

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
So....fucking amazing eh?

Ace for life!!!!

yes yes yes ace is by far the best playable,and no camera problems with him thx to his ranged combat

also,i was always under the impression that ace would be the lead male?now it's machina?

thetrin

TheChillyAcademic said:
So....fucking amazing eh?

Ace for life!!!!

Ace is pretty fucking awesome. He and Rem are easily the most fun to play with, thought Makina's drill attack is pretty fucking awesome.

KyteTron

Banned
Jigsaw said:
yes yes yes ace is by far the best playable,and no camera problems with him thx to his ranged combat

also,i was always under the impression that ace would be the lead male?now it's machina?

Class Zero is the lead. Just Rem and Machina are "special".

nckillthegrimace said:
But I'm playing by myself. The game should know that and make adjustments.
Its because Japanese developers are stupid.

Same shit was in Peace Walker. This is why I hate co-op gaming. When I learned the pause was like this in Type-0, the game pretty much just died for me. At least it does have an actual pause, a very annoying one though.

Synless

I thought this shiva summon was supposed to be more sexual? I see nothing different about this one compared to others.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Astery said:
Queen's command skill damages enemies while absorbing it and turning it to your own HP, also recovering HP of allies when they are within the area....To be honest I don't find it much useful lol.
Yeah, I dislike using Queen some reason after using her a bit more. Her Cross Judge is nice at first, but it leaves her completely open for attack if enemies are able to run in and attack her. Nice that she has a pretty high lightning magic strength, though. It's also easy to get her Kill Sight to me. I'm actually a little disappointed because was so sure I was going to like using Queen a lot prior to playing the demo.

I generally liked using Machina, King, Ace, Sice and Rem very much after a lot of playtime with the demo. All have their advantages and disadvantages, I guess; and it's pretty much up to you as to what kind of playstyle you prefer.

Hail to the King, baby! Sice is also great; she slices so hard and Dark Nebula's kinda cool.

Synless

TheChillyAcademic said:
Ace has something Kingdom Heartsy about him, I love it!

Queen is cool, as is Rem but...I'm gonna say Ace is, well, Ace!!!
Ace is badass! One of my favorites and I got that Kingdom Hearts vibe too!

Foffy

Banned
I tried the demo around 20 minutes ago and I'm left floored. This game is shockingly good. I didn't understand a lick of what I played, but this is the first game since FFIX that I've loved.

The things I didn't understand are because of the language barrier between me and the game being Japanese, but I'm absolutely certain that if this demo was in English, I wouldn't have a single complaint, outside of the camera being a bit wonky now and again.

I hope the game sees a US release sometime this year. Hell, it can be reworked into a PSN-only game and I'd still be there day one! Just make it happen, Square. Please. ;_;

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finally I got to try the demo too. First and foremost I wanna say I'm glad Square is pushing forward that type of immersion started with XIII looking at FPS's. This means that I like the level of immersion given by the game when it launches at you many in-game real time events (trucks incoming, enemies from distance, airships flying, bahamut fightining alongside ect.). It's gorgeous, as it is techincally for a PSportable. Very smooth, I didn't even notice many framedrops and the game moves alot of things all together. The camera is bad, but I'm used to bad cameras on PSP. Peace Walker was even more nightmarish considering the action required was comparable to a FPS without having the analog stick to do so. So, I got used to it pretty fast. Action packed, a bit difficult on later missions, many different characters and tactics, a bit "messy" for now the gameplay but maybe it's just me learning how to play. Overall, this is the spiritual successor to Crisis Core. It really seems an expanded version of that. I like it. Oh: the pre-rendered cutscenes are on ps3-level... wow.

Top Bottom