• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI Android/iOS impressions thread

Cabal

I'm really surprised it's taking this long to get to iOS as well. I wouldn't mind having this on my iPad.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So for anyone curious about the Rage situation in the Android version, Tonberries is still unusable, but they did actually change it a bit. It used to be that the Tonberries appeared on the Veldt, had a Rage programmed in, that Rage could be acquired, but that Rage was unusable because of an oddity in the way the game handled battle commands (specifically, it required at least one empty slot in any battle command menu, the menu could hold 255 commands, and Tonberries was Rage #255, rendering it unselectable). In the Android version Tonberries still appears on the Veldt, but they don't have a Rage. Leaping them gives you nothing. They're sorta like Proto Armor that way, now.

It's a real pain, since the Tonberries Rage is the strongest physical attack Rage in the game, and is basically the direct upgrade to Stray Cat. Of all the bugged Rages it was the most important one by far, and it was also the one I was most hoping was fixed since it was fully functional but was only unusable owing to a quirk of the battle menu system. And instead of fixing it they dummied it out entirely. I Leaped the Tonberries twice to make absolutely sure, and they don't show up in the Abilities menu on the status screen or on the in-battle command list.

I think it's a serious missed opportunity, really. Since Proto Armor and Tonberries aren't fixed I think it's pretty safe to operate under the assumption that Siegfried and Typhon aren't fixed either, and so there's still no version of Final Fantasy 6 that has a full Rage command list (if we're defining "full list" as "all enemies that appear on the Veldt have Rages, and all enemies that have Rages appear on the Veldt," which I think is a rather reasonable definition).

So for anyone curious about the Rage situation in the Android version, Tonberries is still unusable, but they did actually change it a bit. It used to be that the Tonberries appeared on the Veldt, had a Rage programmed in, that Rage could be acquired, but that Rage was unusable because of an oddity in the way the game handled battle commands (specifically, it required at least one empty slot in any battle command menu, the menu could hold 255 commands, and Tonberries was Rage #255, rendering it unselectable). In the Android version Tonberries still appears on the Veldt, but they don't have a Rage. Leaping them gives you nothing. They're sorta like Proto Armor that way, now.

It's a real pain, since the Tonberries Rage is the strongest physical attack Rage in the game, and is basically the direct upgrade to Stray Cat. Of all the bugged Rages it was the most important one by far, and it was also the one I was most hoping was fixed since it was fully functional but was only unusable owing to a quirk of the battle menu system. And instead of fixing it they dummied it out entirely. I Leaped the Tonberries twice to make absolutely sure, and they don't show up in the Abilities menu on the status screen or on the in-battle command list.

I think it's a serious missed opportunity, really. Since Proto Armor and Tonberries aren't fixed I think it's pretty safe to operate under the assumption that Siegfried and Typhon aren't fixed either, and so there's still no version of Final Fantasy 6 that has a full Rage command list (if we're defining "full list" as "all enemies that appear on the Veldt have Rages, and all enemies that have Rages appear on the Veldt," which I think is a rather reasonable definition).

The goal with the game seems to have been to simulate the original as closely as possible, that includes a lot of the little quirks/non-game breaking bugs that make it up. Though I would be curious if any sort of hack could restore them again, or if they are simply gone in this version.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The goal with the game seems to have been to simulate the original as closely as possible, that includes a lot of the little quirks/non-game breaking bugs that make it up. Though I would be curious if any sort of hack could restore them again, or if they are simply gone in this version.

If they hadn't changed Cyan's Bushido so much I'd be inclined to agree. That was the main reason that I was holding out hope for Tonberries, really. Tonberries technically worked just fine, but you could never select it because of a UI issue. Along the same lines, Bushido's main drawback was that it completely froze your ability to issue commands to your other party members, but they had no qualms about correcting that UI quirk, so why not this one?

But alas, that was apparently not the logic they used.

On the general topic of Rages, I've always found it odd that they elected to fix one of the five bugged Rages in the GBA version, but left the other four untouched. Don't think Death Warden's so special that he warranted a fix while the rest stayed bugged, frankly.

Rinoa

Finally somebody focuses on what's really important. I was starting to think that nobody was ever going to take notice of Terra's kickin' rad polka dotted tent with its tasteful bow finial. Seems like errybody just wants to talk about them tiling errors and raster towers even though there are amazeballs new tents. Priorities, peeps.

As always, I live to serve.

Thanks, I like Celes' tent the best! Dat celestial theme.

What's Setzer's flag supposed to be? Gogo's seems to be circus.

Umaro's igloo is a nice touch. Mog's is cute, I remember it was cute before too.

The psycho Cyan bug does not exist anymore, I've tried doing it in many ways.

I'm still not sure if the Evade bug was fixed either.

Magnus

Yay! Siliconera story says it supports iCloud saves too? Nice!

Also, another story says midnight in the US. Is it up for any of you? Nothing on the Canadian store. :(

suikodan

I bought this to play on my Shield and I'm very pleased with it except for small things:

1- Controller support: Any Shield user here? Share your gamemapper. Honestly, I move and interact with the joystick and A button but it's touch for the battles.

2- Cloud save: I don't have that much Android games as opposed to iOS games where lots of them have cloud saving enabled (including this game). Are there lots of Android games that have this feature? I wanted to wait for controller support and play on a Nexus tablet that I have except that my save would be stuck there and it's not my main Android machine.

Top Bottom