• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI rated for PC by PEGI

nictron

I think the sprites look really bad and the fonts are an insult to the aesthetics of the original.

If you can, play the SNES original or the GBA port. Use an emulator if you have to. It's preferable to the mobile port.

2JWZ3Ix.jpg

The top one looks like a soiled diaper.

The more visibility this thing gets might mean we get a multi episode remake someday. If this is the way it has to happen, so be it.

Neoweee

So they don't show the battle interface in the trailer, which is a bit worrying. That is what needs improvement.

The version of ATB is an improvement over the original as giving commands to different characters, etc. is a bit more polished.

Wait... So it is the mobile port?

Mobile, so it has all of the extra features of the GBA version, without the GBA version's low quality music.

I think the sprites look really bad and the fonts are an insult to the aesthetics of the original.

If you can, play the SNES original or the GBA port. Use an emulator if you have to. It's preferable to the mobile port.

2JWZ3Ix.jpg

It looks so bad. idk if I could deal with that for 30-40 hours. The original spritework is so good, why SE, why you do this?

kinn

What are the chances of SE allowing us to switch between the art styles ie like the Monkey island remake?

Failing that, any chance Moddera could fix things?

AlanOC91

I can't make a thread about it but this NEEDS exposure.

Amazing work and progress is currently being done on the Final Fantasy VI port on steam.

The aims have been to replace the sprites, remove the blinear filtering and possibly redo the UI.

Users called Nyxo, Krisam Thyme and our own jshackles have mainly been working on it.

Nyxo is creating a FF6 modding tool (making excellent progress) and once that is complete, jshackles is going to replace the sprites for the game.

On top of that, Nyxo has now removed the blinear filtering in FF6, creating what I think, a MUCH better looking game. This is available for download now.

CW88OnCUoAAPlMs.png:large

Krisan Thymehas ported this to FFV and it is working and will release it when it's fully good to go.

These are excellent steps being made in such a short period of time for this amazing game.

I can't make a thread about it but this NEEDS exposure.

Amazing work and progress is currently being done on the Final Fantasy VI port on steam.

The aims have been to replace the sprites, remove the blinear filtering and possibly redo the UI.

Users called Nyxo, Krisam Thyme and our own jshackles have mainly been working on it.

Nyxo is creating a FF6 modding tool (making excellent progress) and once that is complete, jshackles is going to replace the sprites for the game.

On top of that, Nyxo has now removed the blinear filtering in FF6, creating what I think, a MUCH better looking game. This is available for download now.

CW88OnCUoAAPlMs.png:large

Krisan Thymehas ported this to FFV and it is working and will release it when it's fully good to go.

These are excellent steps being made in such a short period of time for this amazing game.

That looks promising! Nice to see work being done so quickly. Looking at that FFV screenshot, I know it's off topic, but what were they thinking having the portraits hanging outside the text boxes? Looks so sloppy.

AlanOC91

That looks promising! Nice to see work being done so quickly. Looking at that FFV screenshot, I know it's off topic, but what were they thinking having the portraits hanging outside the text boxes? Looks so sloppy.

I was thinking that myself. Thankfully there is another mod to remove the portraits.

hidys

That's cool and all, but I think we would be better served by not buying this version at all unless it's at least 90% off. Square does not deserve money for this.

I'll buy it when the modders have finished making it better.

Worth noting that if the sprites were replaced this would be the best version of FFVI by far.

AlanOC91

Worth noting that if the sprites were replaced this would be the best version of FFVI by far.

I think it'll be by far the best version now if they manage to replace the sprites and do something about the UI (which may be a bit harder).

Skunkers

Maxim726X said:
Wait... So it is the mobile port?

Yes. Like all the other Final Fantasies.

Which makes me pray to God that they soon get around to bringing Final Fantasy Tactics: War Of The Lions to Steam while they are at it. With the higher-res sprites and the elimination of the PSP version's slowdown bug, the mobile ports are now the best versions of FFT to have imo, except y'know, touch controls and the possibility of an eventual loss of compatibility. It would be incredible if we could get it immortalized on Steam.

JohnCYQ

Man I can't even access FF3 to 5 on steam since its not available for purchase in Singapore for some shitty reason, probably cause they're trying to force us to purchase it on IOS or something. Its probably going to be the same for FFVI when it comes out.

I guess I'll be sticking to emulation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rootbeer

Banned
Impressive progress on the VI mod front.

Maybe we really will have the ultimate version of this game (barring a 3D remake?) once they are through.

I hope someone can address the color issues too (as mentioned in this post)

It's your money, but I think giving Square the message that this "remake" is good will only bring more of this to happen.

But I guess I could care less because, hey, it's not like they have much talent left, and i'll always have to originals. Ok, carry on.

Even if they fix the visuals there is something rather off about the flow of battle in the game. I dunno exactly how to explain it but combat has a looseness to it that seems more unrefined compared to the SNES and GBA releases. Perhaps it's my imagination but I feel less inclined to play because of this. Also, having the ATB sync up with the character's menus slowly creeping up from below probably has something to do with the awkwardness as well.

Battle backgrounds are scrumptious though. Best part about it IMO.

AlanOC91

Even if they fix the visuals there is something rather off about the flow of battle in the game. I dunno exactly how to explain it but combat has a looseness to it that seems more unrefined compared to the SNES and GBA releases. Perhaps it's my imagination but I feel less inclined to play because of this. Also, having the ATB sync up with the character's menus slowly creeping up from below probably has something to do with the awkwardness as well.

Battle backgrounds are scrumptious though. Best part about it IMO.

I think the first point is honestly just your imagination. The battle feels the exact same to me personally.

The second point, I agree but it can be slightly changed. You can change it in the game settings to show the battle menu at all times and have a yellow bar in the background rise as an atb Guage. I personally prefer it this way.

entremet

I think the first point is honestly just your imagination. The battle feels the exact same to me personally.

The second point, I agree but it can be slightly changed. You can change it in the game settings to show the battle menu at all times and have a yellow bar in the background rise as an atb Guage. I personally prefer it this way.

Yep. I just finished a triple replay of all versions--FFIII SNES, GBA, and iOS.

The battles are perfect. Actually the highest speed in the iOS/PC version are higher than the SNES/SFC/GBA ones, but I also played a lot of auto battle too, so that may be the reason.

Mechanically, the port is perfect.

Also the window creep is better solution with the higher resolution. People are just attached to the SNES UI. It's also more efficient since you don't need to toggle back and forth to select a specific character.

Marow

I kinda hope they'll add an official toggle for the filter, as that is the only issue I have. Some smaller menus would be good, too. Not sure if Square Enix have any interest in these ports, though.

Neoweee

Yep. I just finished a triple replay of all versions--FFIII SNES, GBA, and iOS.

The battles are perfect. Actually the highest speed in the iOS/PC version are higher than the SNES/SFC/GBA ones, but I also played a lot of auto battle too, so that may be the reason.

Mechanically, the port is perfect.

Also the window creep is better solution with the higher resolution. People are just attached to the SNES UI. It's also more efficient since you don't need to toggle back and forth to select a specific character.

I completely agree.

Gameplay wise, this is the best version of the game. The only real debate is the sprites, and even that appears to be a fairly straightforward fix.

Final Fantasy VI modding tools now available!

And people have already began modding the game!

terra-amano_walkdown01_zpsy0zvkthw.gif

terra-amano_laugh01_zpsbxbef5p1.gif

Glad to see people take the plunge. I quickly drew over the edited sprite with some fixes I'd make. For starters the eyes are too high up. This was in the original mobile sprites too, but it messes the angle up that the background tiles use. Moving the eyes down and showing more hair gives restores the old angle of the head.

The bust makes her look too top-heavy, which gives a masculine looking frame in sprites of that size. Probably not what they were going for, so I shrunk the top, and freed up some space near the hips. I also moved the arms a bit out, because the original pose looked a bit stiff and box-y.

Finally I messed a bit with the palette, because it looked a bit too flat. This is also a problem the original sprites had, which made them stand out like stickers in front of the backgrounds. I probably over-did it a bit with the saturation, but balancing the saturation properly will require some clean screenshots in various locations within the game, which I don't have, nor care to look up.
IQ6Ql1r.png

Can't wait to see what this game will look like a few years from now. It's one of my all-time favourite games and it deserves to be done justice, even if Square Enix isn't willing to do it themselves.

Played a couple more hours today (just beat Kefka in Narshe 3-way fight) and the battle refinements are starting to grow on me. Being able to easily input moves for all 4 party members rather than pressing "triangle" or whatever to swap is nice, and reminds me of Chrono Trigger in a way. As has been said Cyan is now so much more useful. They even have the Kanji to go with the sword moves which is a neat detail (did you know that in the original SFC version you could customize the Kanji for each of his moves).

I think I was so used to the menu selections in prior versions that I wasn't able to appreciate the quality of life adjustments like I should have. Autobattle is another thing that makes this version my favorite now. Especially since I can clone the last moves/spells done and repeat them.

Other welcome additions....

-Pressing a button for mog to tell you the general direction you should be going in the story in case you are away from the game for a while.
-An album mode that has a synopsis for all the game's main story beats.
-A bestiary with neat silhouettes so you can see a vague idea of what the monster you haven't fought yet is. Feels like I am physically collecting monster marks which seems more satisfying than a text list as in previous FF bestiaries.
-The world map looks much better than the original SNES version IMO. And while the 3D towns/castles etc look kinda off when walking around, they have a cool 3D effect while on chocobo (and probably airship too).

entremet

Glad to see people take the plunge. I quickly drew over the edited sprite with some fixes I'd make. For starters the eyes are too high up. This was in the original mobile sprites too, but it messes the angle up that the background tiles use. Moving the eyes down and showing more hair gives restores the old angle of the head.

The bust makes her look too top-heavy, which gives a masculine looking frame in sprites of that size. Probably not what they were going for, so I shrunk the top, and freed up some space near the hips. I also moved the arms a bit out, because the original pose looked a bit stiff and box-y.

Finally I messed a bit with the palette, because it looked a bit too flat. This is also a problem the original sprites had, which made them stand out like in front of the backgrounds. I probably over-did it a bit with the saturation, but balancing the saturation properly will require some clean screenshots in various locations within the game, which I don't have, nor care to look up.
IQ6Ql1r.png

Can't wait to see what this game will look like a few years from now. It's one of my all-time favourite games and it deserves to be done justice, even if Square Enix isn't willing to do it themselves.

Nice job. Much better.

Shepard

Finally I messed a bit with the palette, because it looked a bit too flat. This is also a problem the original sprites had, which made them stand out like in front of the backgrounds. I probably over-did it a bit with the saturation, but balancing the saturation properly will require some clean screenshots in various locations within the game, which I don't have, nor care to look up.
IQ6Ql1r.png

Looks amazing, Great Job.

Is it technically feasible for modders to redo the UI to something resembling the series standard battle menu?. I would have bought FFV and VI on PC even with the garbage spritework filtering, but the UI being what it is is the main deterrent for me.

Aeana

Is it technically feasible for modders to redo the UI to something resembling the series standard battle menu?. I would have bought FFV and VI on PC even with the garbage spritework filtering, but the UI being what it is is the main deterrent for me.

It should be. It was done for FF3 PC.

Linkark07

Banned
It seems the character portraits can also be changed. Know this will be quite unpopular but would love to get alternate portraits for each character.

Falk

that puzzling face

It should be. It was done for FF3 PC.

Who knows till someone digs though. A lot of moving parts in 6's UI.

VariantX

Looking at some of the stuff in this thread is getting me excited about the PC port. I don't mind re purchasing if some of these mods pan out.

Top Bottom