• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Announced For PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I've probably posted in all of them. What I'm curious about is more of a "journalism" issue. Even not expecting much out of enthusiast press, and not expecting much out of Sony, I still think it seems like a question that would be asked of Sony at some point since the PS4 was announced. afaik, it hasn't. I'd like to see how they respond to the question.

I'd go for the not retiring my PS3 option, but my BC unit died years ago, and PS2 classics lineup doesn't come close to covering what I have.
I agree with you on the press aspect. I guess it's just not a big issue to most of them.

I also agree about the PS2 classics lineup. But it's something at least. I'm mainly interested in the major games, so that gets the job done.

aerts1js

I hope they at the very least give us upgraded character models like seen in countless PC mods like this one:

Plus a fully orchestrated soundtrack would be great too.

Of course in reality the biggest expense Square Enix will have spent on this PC port is Shinji Hashimoto's plane ticket to Las Vegas.

That looks terrible... the scale of of them are so off.

Einhander

What makes him such an awful choice?

He has a fake aura of enthusiasm to his personality and they frequently have him speak in butchered English overseas, which sounds unprofessional to me. Bring an interpreter with him and he should speak in Japanese.

MilesTeg

Banned
This thread has taught me that people are way too reactionary regarding thread titles. I take any piece of information that has been boiled down to 15 words with a grain of salt.

This thread was created while everyone was watching the event live. It's not so much the thread title by itself as it was people having just seen this announcement take place.

Elfstruck

LOL, it has been almost 3 months and I'm still laughing looking at that gif. Seriously, SE gotta be the best company at trolling their fans.

xq1C67c.gif

Dsyndrome

You're dead to me, Hashimoto. My brother's looking forward to the game for some reason, like he hasn't been able to get it on any Sony platform or PC for years.

Son Of D

So.... this totally isnt making its Spring release date is it?

Unless its a PS+ game or something unexpected.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Spring is March to May right? Type-0 HD releases this month so I won't be surprised if a week or two after they say "Yeah it's coming late April" or something.

Neku89

Since I wasn't a verified member at the time, this thread bump is the perfect opportunity for me to say "fuck you SE".

I'm not even THAT interested in a FFVII remake, but this trolling was something else.

All I can say is this thread is more fun than any of the Final Fantasy games I've ever played. It really feels like Square is trolling people on purpose.

Have they said anything regarding enhancements or modifications ? How likely is it for the game to have a brand new translation done by competent people (such as Alexander O Smith !) ? That's pretty much all I want. That and trophies.

Syriel

Have they said anything regarding enhancements or modifications ? How likely is it for the game to have a brand new translation done by competent people (such as Alexander O Smith !) ? That's pretty much all I want. That and trophies.

If it's anything other than a straight port of the Steam version I'll be shocked.

Darkangel

I hope they at least give us some REmaster-style pan and scan widescreen. A lot of the map images were designed to pan anyway so it could actually turn out half decent.

Wasp

I highly doubt either Square Enix or Sony set out to deliberate troll fans with this announcement. More likely they are so deluded that they genuinely thought everyone would lose their minds over a PC port.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I highly doubt either Square Enix or Sony set out to deliberate troll fans with this announcement. More likely they are so deluded that they genuinely thought everyone would lose their minds over a PC port.

I bet they are so fucking pissed they lost the original files.

Just re-rendering those backgrounds would be so nice. Not possible since, apparently, they lost the source.

WinterX

Banned
I wonder what happened to Square after their fusion with Enix. It's just like after the fusion it's some other company, totally not the old Square we all used to know. I really miss the old Square Soft, mostly for FF7, FF8 and FF9.

I assume they don't want to make a real remake cause it would take more time development time tan FFXV which already took almost 10 years of development. Plus FF7 is a legend, why destroying a legend if they are not confident enough?

Protag

Banned
I wonder what happened to Square after their fusion with Enix. It's just like after the fusion it's some other company, totally not the old Square we all used to know. I really miss the old Square Soft, mostly for FF7, FF8 and FF9.

I assume they don't want to make a real remake cause it would take more time development time tan FFXV which already took almost 10 years of development. Plus FF7 is a legend, why destroying a legend if they are not confident enough?

I STILL think ig can be done, and its just a missed oppurtunity.

Will someone in 20 years be able to play VII as it is? Hell no, eventually square will re-make it

Wasp

I bet they are so fucking pissed they lost the original files.

Just re-rendering those backgrounds would be so nice. Not possible since, apparently, they lost the source.
I assume they lost the original files for VIII and IX too? I wonder what res the images would've been? Probably not 1080p.

Square Enix should just hire a team of talented artists to redraw them, similar to what Lucas Arts did with Monkey Island: Special Edition. I doubt it would take that long, there's really not that many backgrounds in FFVII.

Remaking the world map would also be a fairly simple task I think. All it would take is reskinning it with high res textures and it would be good to go, but even starting it again from scratch wouldn't take very long. Square Enix are just lazy.

Alex

I'm still baffled a new localization has never occurred, the game needs it.

I'd like to see a touch up or a simple remaster for VII, but I'll be really surprised if we ever see a full blown remake, there would be so many unhappy with it as it just rides too a difficult line, stylistically. I can't even imagine the reaction if they hyped up the PS4 remake everyone clamors for then debuted the cute, SD models to go with it but by that same measure they'd also (deservedly) catch massive shit for updating it and adapting the original game to fit the more modern Advent Children style of things.

For as big and flashy as it was, Final Fantasy VII was just so much more firmly in the VI camp than the VIII camp. The spin-offs are one thing but I really think they're in a sore spot when it comes to doing anything with the original other than a couple coats of paint.

I'm still baffled a new localization has never occurred, the game needs it.

Yeah, seriously. It's been 18 years with tons of re-releases and one of the main character's names is still mistranslated. Like, huh? That's the least of the localization's problems of course though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom