• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII Remaster Will Include "Battle Assistance" But Will Not Have Chocobo World

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Here are highlights from the interview:
  • "The remaster has the original version’s battle programmer Hiroshi Harada, Tomohiro Kayano who did character model, and Tetsuya Nomura working on it.”
  • "The character refinement quality is the result of having the original staff work on it.”
  • “Battle Assistance will be implemented.”
  • Chocobo World will not be included. The items you could only get from it will be available through Rinoa’s special ability.”
  • Final Fantasy VIII was the first work that we’ve used motion capture on. At the time we didn’t know how things worked, so we made the actor use a heavy gun. Looking back now, I get the cold sweats thinking about any worst case scenario accidents that could’ve happened.”
  • Final Fantasy VIII has had its share of influence in Hollywood entertainment, be it a game screen shown in a Hollywood movie or an offer we got last year from a major video game-related film that wanted to use the Gunblade.”

No Chocobo World? Damn...

Back then I wanted the Pocketstation so much, especially for FFVIII.

hqdefault.jpg

Reminds me of the Dreamcast VMU. I remember freaking out by how awesome the Dreamcast seemed and how modern it felt. Seeing the VMU for the Dreamcast just made a young me go crazy in regards to all the possibilities.

220px-Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg

I mean, what kid wouldn't freak out about mind blowing console tech like this?

Pallas

Well as long as they make those items available elsewhere. I wonder why they decide not to port Chocobo World over, it’s available on the PC version.

Falcs

Banned
What.. they used a LOADED gun to do mocap?? Unless they were that stupid, what was the problem?

Virex

Banned
Battle assistance? The junction system and all mechanics are fine as they are. You don't need assistance when you can become a god in a very short amount of time. Why does everything need dumbing down these days.

Deft Beck

Battle assistance? The junction system and all mechanics are fine as they are. You don't need assistance when you can become a god in a very short amount of time. Why does everything need dumbing down these days.

People just want to play the story for nostalgia.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I started reading this as the final fantasy SEVEN remaster and started piecing together shit on my head ready to outrage at, until I saw I was being a dumb ass...

stranno

Chocobo World has been perfectly playable in Dr. Hell's Xebra emulator for a decade already. It's a great minigame, the only decent Pocketstation game I have played so far.

It was also included in Steam release as a separated executable iirc.

Last edited:
No Chocobo World? Damn...

Back then I wanted the Pocketstation so much, especially for FFVIII.

hqdefault.jpg

Reminds me of the Dreamcast VMU. I remember freaking out by how awesome the Dreamcast seemed and how modern it felt. Seeing the VMU for the Dreamcast just made a young me go crazy in regards to all the possibilities.

220px-Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg

I mean, what kid wouldn't freak out about mind blowing console tech like this?

Bro, I had that feeling the first time I hooked up my NGPC to the DC. Holy shit that was awesome!

Vawn

Banned
All I really need is to ditch the horrible enemy scaling where leveling up only makes the game more difficult.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
To be fair, the original game has a No Encounters ability you can Junction.

Right. Its handing you the ability and everything else right at the start. I see how the max level cheat is a bit discouraging. I could cram 60-80 hours years ago and reaching level 70 or even 80 was something to be proud of. Its fun to go back to a traditional game with traditional rules. Break those rules, understand them, and play the game the way the developers made it. I also see the point where you want to cut the grind in half. I turned on the max level cheat to see how it was and it literally broke the game. I felt like I was using a GameShark. I could advance at every battle. I didn't even get to see the special attacks of the monsters because battles ended so quickly. There was one thing I did notice. I was literally following along with the story longer than say if I had to grind to get past a certain part. That's probably obvious to understand. I got to the next area faster and everything advanced in such a short period of time. It was a supreme form of hand holding we haven't exactly experienced since the GameShark was being sold.

Things like GF boost have an ability to skip having to press a button for more damage. All of it could be done, but should it? IMO they're marketing these classic games on a pretty popular mobile market (even though they haven't said a word about FF8 on mobile (which might not happen)). One could argue that infinite lives in an arcade game is cheating. lol Considering how we spent a lot of quarters playing the game years ago. I'm against them cutting content. Especially since technology has advanced so much since Final Fantasy VIII came out. There shouldn't be any excuses. This port of Final Fantasy VIII should be perfect.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Does anyone know if they will at least have an orchestrated soundtrack? :)

I heard somewhere that it will be using the original sound files, which is a plus for me. The steam version used some knock off versions of all the tunes and was horrific.

The Snake

I heard somewhere that it will be using the original sound files, which is a plus for me. The steam version used some knock off versions of all the tunes and was horrific.

Probably the MIDI soundtrack from the original PC release, I'd imagine. Easy to mod, however.

Top Bottom