• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Trailer [for PS4, Switch, XboxOne and PC]

D.Final

Banned
The Remastered of Final Fantasy VIII was officially announced during the Square Enix conference at E3 2019.

D8vuWtKVUAABrpS

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered announced for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

quare Enix announced Final Fantasy VIII Remastered for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam) during its E3 2019 press conference. It will launch in 2019.

Here is an overview of the game, via Square Enix:

Coming in 2019, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release with a new visual refresh and brings the game’s beloved story to modern platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. With overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before!

Tqtqyko.jpg

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I just replayed this last year on PC. I'll probably grab it on Switch to complete my Switch trio.

This honestly feels pointless to me. Better models, but textures are blurry all over the environment.

Should instead just do FFVIII Remake. It's one of the games that have a lot to win by a remake. The script needing a better translation, the models fitting very well into modern FF graphics, various improvements to make the story work better, making the combat system and customization systems work better together. It's also got a school setting, meaning it would probably do great in Japan, outside of it being FFVIII.

Kagey K

Banned
I can’t believe they finally remastered this. I thought Square was going to continue treating it like it’s red headed stepchild.

B_Boss

Awww shit I thought it was getting the FF7 remaster treatment but there’s no way it would be coming in 2019 if it were 😅...dammit.

Well I guess it is time to finally beat this game. I loved the more relaxed times this game has.

I play the game for Triple Triad alone. Don't play through it more than once every couple of years, but DISC 1 I love play through rather often just for the Triple Triad game.

Petrae

This sure opens old wounds. It’s the first Final Fantasy game that I ever hated. That said, given how turn-based Final Fantasy games are now dead, I might have to revisit this— depending on how Square-Enix handles quality of life improvements, like maybe having the option to skip GF animations. It’s closer to a traditional FF game than we’ve seen from the series in more than a decade.

I’ll never not wince when dealing with the obtuse Junction system or that fucking card game, though.

Last edited:
This sure opens old wounds. It’s the first Final Fantasy game that I ever hated. That said, given how turn-based Final Fantasy games are now dead, I might have to revisit this— depending on how Square-Enix handles quality of life improvements, like maybe having the option to skip GF animations. It’s closer to a traditional FF game than we’ve seen from the series in more than a decade.

I’ll never not since when dealing with the obtuse Junction system or that fucking card game, though.
I liked Triple Triad more than the actual game. But yeah, the Junction system is awful, in my opinion.

JBat

Can wait to play this on my switch! A full blown remake would have been amazing but very happy with this news

NahaNago

I play the game for Triple Triad alone. Don't play through it more than once every couple of years, but DISC 1 I love play through rather often just for the Triple Triad game.

I tend to have a bad habit of grinding on the beach and forest for like 20-30 hours.

D.Final

Banned
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered announced for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

quare Enix announced Final Fantasy VIII Remastered for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam) during its E3 2019 press conference. It will launch in 2019.

Here is an overview of the game, via Square Enix:

Coming in 2019, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release with a new visual refresh and brings the game’s beloved story to modern platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. With overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before!

Tqtqyko.jpg

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

It’s been ages but i’m So glad to play it again (and like 7 and 9 , i’ll Take on Xbox to support them for doing it)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
28676eb03ce124b3288bc1732412bc86.jpg

I love this game. I think it would be great to own this. The battle system is probably its weakest point, but the theme, characters, and world are excellent. I had more enjoyment with this than with my Dreamcast back in the day.

I want this on my phone tbh

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So now Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12 will now all be playable on the Switch as well as various spin-offs like Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo's Dungeon.

Turning into a pretty awesome portable Final Fantasy powerhouse.

I love this game. I think it would be great to own this. The battle system is probably its weakest point, but the theme, characters, and world are excellent. I had more enjoyment with this than with my Dreamcast back in the day.

I love the game. It got me through a hard time in my life. I loved the Rinoa and Squall romance.

I feel like the battle system and junction should be overhauled to not be too easily breakable (but still have something like that kind of customizability) and not have such a mechanic that junctioning magic is better than using it. Then there's also the translation, improvements in terms of various story elements and I imagine an even more expanded Balamb Garden, as well as a mercenary system. Lots you can do.
FFVIII Remake is where it's at. I hope they do FFVIII and FFIX at the same time. FFVIII fits more along how they make the FFVII remake with it being more realistic style. FFIX should be to someone else, since it's very stylized and doesn't necessarily need hyper graphic fidelity to look good.. Then again FFVI remake would also be great as well. Or FF2 (as in not FF4).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love the game. It got me through a hard time in my life.

Story time.

This game came out a few weeks after I barely survived an automobile accident. My older brother worked for Blockbuster at the time, and brought me a PS1 and this game to play in the hospital and I continued playing it after I got home. I had short term memory loss - and on top of that I had trouble forming short term memories in my brain. I probably played the first 3-4 hours of this game 100 times (or more, I can't really recall) before I finally figured out what was going on, how the systems in the game worked, how to optimize your team, and what was happening in the story.

As the story progressed and I learned that the characters in the game were also suffering from memory afflictions, I was flabbergasted. I remember thinking "even if this affliction I suffer from is permanent, I'm lucky to be alive and my life will march forward."

A few weeks later I started re-gaining my ability to form short term memories. I attribute a lot of that to this game in particular. As such, this game means a lot to me.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
About time, I saw this leaked on twitter the other night from the same person the Nintendo ninjas got.

LOL. Oh good one SE, just release the PC version from many years ago jazzed. Hard pass.

Is it the PC port? Ugh iirc the music is worse and so are some of the graphics compare to the PS1 version. Starting to believe that old myth that they might have lost some or all of the source code to that game if true.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
About time, I saw this leaked on twitter the other night from the same person the Nintendo ninjas got.

Is it the PC port? Ugh iirc the music is worse and so are some of the graphics compare to the PS1 version. Starting to believe that old myth that they might have lost some or all of the source code to that game if true.
You can literally play this right now on a PC with a emulator.

checkcola

Definitely excited for this. I also have not played this as much as other entries, so this will be pretty fresh for me.

Story time.

Wow, that's an amazing story.

My story was that during middle school the Norwegian Child Welfare Service took me and my siblings from our home, split us off into three different foster homes. I was alone for a long time, isolating myself at school because being in a foster home was definitely something I didn't want anyone to find out, missing my family, feeling alienated, spending my days in a bedroom and FFVIII was my big solace. As a teenager that game was my only bright light during that time. I could empathize with Squall, because while I'm at the core a very emotional person, I can also be protective and cautious and one of the things used against me when we were taken (during the later trial) was that "I lacked facial mimics" and was calm during the whole ordeal. The kind of romance that he and Rinoa also resonated with my desire for love, but also ultimately fear of getting close. Rinoa was definitely a character that could melt a frozen heart. I feel no shame in saying I cried playing the game.
Then eventually we got home again after I don't know many months and a court trial, but FFVIII always held a special place to me.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
You could literally play this on a freaking emulator right now. FF7 Remake is actually worth it, this is not. This is just a quick cash grab for SE.
This is a remaster, not a remake. They're not comparable.

And you're using game pirating as an argument for why companies shouldn't sell their products. For those that want to buy this game and support the company, this is a pretty cool re-release.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I hope the game is now fully orchestrated, because if it is, I will definitely purchase.

No Chrono Break, but at least we got this.

Top Bottom