• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Trailer [for PS4, Switch, XboxOne and PC]

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You could literally play this on a freaking emulator right now. FF7 Remake is actually worth it, this is not. This is just a quick cash grab for SE.

This is very much worth it and many are glad this finally got announced. This isn't a remake either - just a remastered port and it will sell for the price of a remastered port. Trying to compare it to a full on remake is just dumb.

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: meant FF 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its one of my favorite games ever so I´m not too worried how they go about it as long as I can play it on ps4, but for the love of god give me the original soundtrack and not that horseshit steam version. Thats a deal breaker.

Meesh

So fucking awesome. Lol didn't expect this, I mean what can you say?
Delivered.
Square enix. Fucking. Delivered.
VII remake looks perfect, VIII remaster and everything else.

Last edited:

GenericUser

The HD mod for FF7 (that is available for free, name is "remako) does a great job at upscaling the ultra low res background to a decent "HD" level. If square seriously thinks they can get away by just applying a photoshop sharpening filter to FF8 and call it a day, they are bigger assholes then I thought.

Andyliini

Cool! Now Square-Enix only needs to release Final Fantasy Legacy Collection (I-VI) for Switch, and I have all the FF games for it I need.

Kagey K

Banned
Remake FF8 too Square! Remake the entire series!!!
REMAKE THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!!
With the world ending in 2050 due to climate change we will be lucky if we see episode 2 of the FfVII remake before we die. Now you want us to hang in a few hundred more years to see them remake more?

clem84

Gold Member
It barely looks remastered at all. I mean it technically is, the Squall model looks better, but 90% of the assets look the same, just up-rezed. The menus look HD. Not much of a difference overall. Strange...

I love FFVIII.

I'd rather play it with the original graphics. I don't need no remasters. A slight upscale won't hurt but if they change stuff too much I'm out. I know the old game looks rough but that's how I like it. Luckily I still have my old PS1 copy so I can play it, but it would be nice to have it on the Switch.

odd_hatch

So what exactly are they "remastering" about the game?

Are they re-recording the OST with real instruments? Are they working on the backgrounds? Making new models for the characters/monsters?

Or are they just going to upscale the graphics and call it a day?

Kagey K

Banned
This game deserved better.

At this point I feel luck to have this. It seemed like it was going to forever be washed away.

The digital characters didn’t work and was likely it’s downfall, but it still means so much to me.

Almost more then 7 (but not quite) more then 9 though, and I really love 9 as well.

Last edited:

Murr

Great news. I played this as a kid and can't wait to experience it again.
Now i just have to decide, if i want it for Switch or PC:pie_thinking:
If they make a physical version, then the Switch it is.

Never a Chrono Cross nor Vagrant Story nor FF Tactics re release. But Square has always been weird about holding grudges re distributing games done by directors that no longer work there.

Lanrutcon

What are they remastering? Those screenshots look like they redid the UI bitmaps and slapped a big old smudge filter on everything else. Gross.

I'm glad they didn't fuck with the battle interface like they did with IX.

I just want something that's as faithful to the original game as possible with improved textures & music.

sublimit

Banned
They really did a nice job with the graphics. But the no encounters and Battle Reinforcements are a Godsent for this game in particular.

Teslerum

You can literally play this right now on a PC with a emulator.

Why?

Play the pc version with mods. Graphically, FFVIII has probably the most and active community among the three.

044f85156024a8b5a903382cdc9ed3d8.jpg

785b26b9f8fae624a92b4d7f304bdc13.png

oySJBt2.jpg

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
As it mentions a modded version of the current PC version with improved font, ui, backgrounds, world textures, battle backgrounds and so on.

Theres also roses and wine that improves the soundtrack quality

I'm sorry but Squall's face in that screenshot almost looks like a Pablo Picasso painting. (Which can be interesting depending on how you look at it)

Last edited:

Teslerum

I'm sorry but Squall's face in that screenshot almost looks like a Pablo Picasso painting. (Which can be interesting depending on how you look at it)

?

It really doesn't.

WUDPHiA.jpg

Also if you mean the somewhat blockiness, thats just an unfortunate side effect of it still being based on the original game/engine. In that the remaster could really help modders since its probably a port to Unity similiar to FFIX

Last edited:

Allandor

New screens here. And it apparently has cheat modes available, like other FF ports.

z_5cff183fd629f.jpg

z_5cff183f9a176.jpg
well those look … maybe they can insert better trees ^^
Seems like the Weapons got a new more detailed look. I don't remember such a good looking gunblade in the fight-screen. As far as I remember it had a much lower poly-count.

But well I would gladly take a FFVIII running on a current console (and future-console with the upcomming BC-Features).

Teslerum

well those look … maybe they can insert better trees ^^
Seems like the Weapons got a new more detailed look. I don't remember such a good looking gunblade in the fight-screen. As far as I remember it had a much lower poly-count.

3D models in general are completly different from psx. Makes me (personally) think they ported the game to a different engine as mentioned.
Similiar to how they did FFIX.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wonder how they're gonna handle the FMV backgrounds, especially as VIII was a lot more animated then the other games in the series.
Any actual release date?

Last edited:

Allandor

3D models in general are completly different from psx. Makes me (personally) think they ported the game to a different engine as mentioned.
Similiar to how they did FFIX.

really, characters don't look that different as far as I remember. But I played FFVIII originally on my PC with a V5 (with 4xSSAA), but it might just be my memory that "antialiased those details" :)

ExpandKong

Banned
really, characters don't look that different as far as I remember. But I played FFVIII originally on my PC with a V5 (with 4xSSAA), but it might just be my memory that "antialiased those details" :)

It looks like more than just some smoothing out though.

ExpandKong

Banned
Damn. This pretty much confirms there will never be a remake..
Well, it's better than nothing I guess.
Best FF ever.

Why does it confirm that? Didn't they do exactly this with FF7 a few years ago?

It probably is my favorite of the PS1 FF games though, love the setting and the best OST in the series.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I love Zell’s broken limit break.

Instead of building up toward the finishing moves, you can just alternate between the X O move and the UP DOWN move really, really quickly and land a shitload of hits.

Japanese gamers had some catchy name for this, I forget.

Top Bottom