• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 Switch Port Won't Have Both Games on Card

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Source:
https://www.destructoid.com/final-f...t-include-both-games-on-the-card-540108.phtml

If you don't want to give clicks:
https://finalfantasyxhd.square-enix-games.com/en-us/home/

Looks like it's a case of one game coming on the card with another offered as a one-time-use voucher code.

What's worse is that supposedly, the Japanese and Southeast Asian versions of the game do both fit on a card. So I guess you could always import it? Still, an annoying practice, especially when the code is one-time-use.

Andyliini

Square-Enix is really playing it cheap, it seems. I'm not sure about the Japanese version, but at least the South Asian version supposedly supports English and has both versions on card. Almost same thing happened with World of Final Fantasy, as South Asia is the only region where the game is getting a physical release. I already imported that one, but will wait and see FFX HD thing. I want to be 100% sure first that it supports English and has both games on card.

Allandor

Well, might have to do with the fact that they must buy those cards from nintendo and the bigger ones aren't cheap. That's why bigger games need downloads at least for the multiplayer-mode.

A company being cheap ass motherfuckers. News at 11.
blame nintendo, not squareenix for that decision.

Last edited:

Petrae

This is how third-party games on the Switch are, and most users have pretty much accepted this fact.

Even when Nintendo (maybe) gets around to making its higher-capacity Switch cards available, the higher per-unit expense will either:

— Send MSRPs higher for certain games

or

— Be avoided and publishers will stick with the current cards & distribution methods

StormCell

This has me seriously reconsidering my purchase. Does anyone have any links or advice on importing from Asia? Otherwise, I guess I'll buy it on PS4 after all, but I had preferred to play it on Switch.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is how third-party games on the Switch are, and most users have pretty much accepted this fact.

I think you're confusing "insert card and download the rest" (which is bad enough) with "one half of the product will be tied to a one-time-use download code". Two hugely different things. It means that the value of the cartridge itself is halved as soon as you use that code.

Andyliini

Regarding this, Nintendo Life just posted an interview with Virtuos, who ported these games to new platforms. Here's what they said about file size:

I would say it was quite technically challenging because to make Final Fantasy work on Switch, we needed to convert it to 64GB. So, the Switch version needed to be shrunk without impacting the performance. As this requires a fair amount of skill, we have a small team specifically to target these parts of the remaster.

For Nintendo Switch, the main challenge was the package size, as the previous raw data size could reach up to 50GB. This much data simply cannot fit on a single Switch game card, so we had to analyse and modify the data cooking pipeline and managed to fit the game on a 32GB card without any impact on visual quality or loading performance.

So, it seems like they will use 32GB card for the releases in Japan and Asia, but wen't with 16GB in US and Europe. Also, I have not seen similar info on FFXII, so that game should be fully on card everywhere.

Zog

Banned
So, it seems like they will use 32GB card for the releases in Japan and Asia, but wen't with 16GB in US and Europe. Also, I have not seen similar info on FFXII, so that game should be fully on card everywhere.

We allow them to do this, we need to stop letting them do this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not surprising. If the Asian versions are both on cart I'll be picking those up instead.

StormCell

I don't know if that's actually the case regarding the 32GB card. I placed my order for the Asia version of the game and noticed that in the description it states that there are 2 game cartridges.

Here's the link: https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-multi-language/13/70ci2j

This is what I ordered. I've never imported before or ordered any thing off Play-Asia, so if this is not what I want (for playing in English) please let me know!

AV

Not only this, but they've slapped a horrible, giant warning on the cover. Edit: didn't mean to sound against the idea, this should be here. More annoying that they had to resort to it in the first place.

pc-and-video-games-games-switch-final-fantasy-x-x2-hd-remaster-nintendo-2.jpg

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

This is horrible. If there is one thing that always complaint about my Switch is the storage. Even with a 400gb SD card, if things keep like that, by the end of the year I will need a bigger one.

If the Japanese version is complete, I will be forced to by it.

radewagon

Not only this, but they've slapped a horrible, giant warning on the cover.

Actually, I feel like that's fitting. If you're going to do something cheap like that, you should have to telegraph it from a mile away. It serves a dual purpose. It lets the customer know what they're actually buying and punishes the publisher for being cheap by making them deface their game's cover.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not only this, but they've slapped a horrible, giant warning on the cover.

Good. Such practices should always be highlighted on the box (and preferrably not happen).

Yagami_Sama

They should at least give a dual cover, so at least when the person arrive home it can swap to the box art without this horrible thing.

magnumpy

when did final fantasy x come out?

ok google tells me it came out on July 19, 2001. geez what a blast from the past! I remember playing it when it was new D:

Last edited:

db1416

I hope they just sell X on its own without a code or that I could just buy X on the e-shop. That’s the one I want after all. If anyone wants X-2 lmk and I’ll give you the code from my physical X copy.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Anti used game tactic nothing new.

I hope they just sell X on its own without a code or that I could just buy X on the e-shop. That’s the one I want after all. If anyone wants X-2 lmk and I’ll give you the code from my physical X copy.
I guess I could take you on that offer considering the code from my used Vita copy was taken already.

Last edited by a moderator:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
fine, i don't care. i don't need to own it on a SD card that i have to carry with me at all times. sometimes i like digital games MORE because i don't have to pull out the game to play.

Well, not unless you get either the Asian version or the Japanese version. That's the only way to get both of those games on one cart.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Here's an unboxing of the asian version of the game:

This confirms the Asian version has one card and no download codes inside. Therefore the whole game is right there. It also has both Japanese and English audio. Nintendo of Europe site says the digital game is 26,9Gb in size. Therefore the card for this version must be 32Gb one.

Grinchy

Banned
I guess with the Switch being region-free, you could order the Asian version to have everything on one cart? Since it had English voices too.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Physical games suck nowadays anyway. Might as well just go full digital.

The whole idea of owning a game on a physical media is antiquated. You still need patches which are sometimes multiple gigabytes, and you still need to install to local storage in most cases. All the “physical game” is is a method of getting SOME of the data to your system without downloading from the internet. With the trade off being that it needs to be physically inserted in the system in order to play.

Games don’t even come with physical manuals anymore. It’s just an empty flimsy box (usually the insert is plain white on the inside) with a tiny game card. Just the bare minimum needed to have something sitting on a store shelf.

The glory days when you’d have a game like Lunar, Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo, etc, complete on disc with beautiful box art, full color manual, and so on, are long gone.

ExpandKong

Banned
Is it because Asian audiences are less receptive than Westerners about digital games?

I think it’s because some Asian markets literally do not have an eshop so they don’t have a choice but to put the whole thing on carts.

I guess with the Switch being region-free, you could order the Asian version to have everything on one cart? Since it had English voices too.

Yes, I’ve read impressions on other sites from people who imported one of the Asian versions and played it just fine in English on their Switch. Defaults to the system language.

Top Bottom