• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin arrives March 26, 2013

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 26, 2012) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas, today announced that FINAL FANTASY® XI: Seekers of Adoulin™ will be available March 26, 2013 for both the XBOX 360® and Windows PC platforms. The latest addition to the decade-strong, online game features new areas to explore and develop, along with two new jobs to master and a horde of new beasts and monsters to defeat.

The expansion will unfold a new adventure for players as the eighth century came to a close. The Royal Family, in partnership with the Eleven Knightly Orders, has agreed to abolish imperial rule—from which arose the Sacred City of Adoulin on the Ulbuka Continent. In the blink of an eye, Adoulin had grown to be a maritime metropolis, with a mercantile prowess rivaling that of Jeuno. It is in this booming city state that the players will find themselves as they work to explore and unlock the secrets hidden in the nearby jungles.

The release of “Seekers of Adoulin” will introduce two new jobs. Geomancers harness the elemental energies of Vana’diel® to aid their comrades and attack enemies alike. Rune fencers are versatile duelists, quick with a blade as well as incantations, and employ the power of arcane runes.

The expansion will also feature new gameplay systems, such as player-built outposts, new contract work, and the introduction of special “power spots” that are hidden throughout the environment for powerful character enhancements.

Also announced today is the same-day launch of FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition, the full compilation of the stand-alone game with all four previously released expansion packs, three add-on scenarios, and three battle area add-ons. This collector’s edition pack will be available for $39.99, and the stand-alone “Seekers of Adoulin” expansion for $29.99.

Via PR.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wixpfhCnE_w&feature=youtu.be

jiggle

weird that there are 2 new jobs but no new screens of them

pixes
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20121227_580055.html
ado_09.jpg

ado_12.jpg

ado_29.jpg

ado_32.jpg

ado_41.jpg

ado_42.jpg

ado_19.jpg

ado_51.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kind of nuts that they're releasing a new expansion for this with XIV on the horizon next year. I'm even more surprised that whoever made this wasn't on the team to fix XIV.

farnham

Banned
Isnt ffxiv like the most important game for SE? Wouldnt they want to get FFXI players move over to make the game even more succesful.. Somehow this really confuses me.

Nakazato

Kind of nuts that they're releasing a new expansion for this with XIV on the horizon next year. I'm even more surprised that whoever made this wasn't on the team to fix XIV.
Maybe it was their way of recouping the ffxiv 2.0 dev cost

Still ffxi is my game of the 2000's.and my be my favorite game of all time thanks to all the friendships i made.

Goli

The illustration made by Kazushi Hagiwara is so horrible... I'm not sure why SE, having so many talented artists, would even think of releasing that.

Chris R

Screens look pretty damn good when you consider how old the game is. Think I even still have my disks somewhere... I'd totally be down to do a $39.99 or whatever one time payment to play while the game still lives, come on SE make my dream a possibility!

zlatko

Banned
I won't lie I'm very tempted to jump back into FFXI because of this. I quit around the early start of WOTG expansion and never came back. With what I've read how the game is now, I'd reroll since I gave all my shit to friends and deleted my character years ago. No biggy, as I think I'd roll either a Galka or Taru this time for one of the new jobs.

*must resist crack*

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Also announced today is the same-day launch of FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition, the full compilation of the stand-alone game with all four previously released expansion packs, three add-on scenarios, and three battle area add-ons. This collector’s edition pack will be available for $39.99, and the stand-alone “Seekers of Adoulin” expansion for $29.99.

Never change Square...

Darryl

Banned
everything i've seen & heard about this expansion so far looks really good, really like the theme they went with

ronito

I went back to FFXI last year. While they fixed a ton of stuff if you're starting yourself off you're in for a bad time. The lower level areas are a dearth and you can play for hours and only see a handful of people running back to the city for supplies before teleporting out.

This game was awesome. I loved it. Will not... NOT be getting back into it despite how cool this looks.

My life is way too complicated now to shoehorn a second life into it anymore.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I went back to FFXI last year. While they fixed a ton of stuff if you're starting yourself off you're in for a bad time. The lower level areas are a dearth and you can play for hours and only see a handful of people running back to the city for supplies before teleporting out.

Recent expansions and events have made transportation through the world very easy and almost all players just set up in Jeuno, or near the porters in the home nation.

Yuripaw

Banned

This is sad :( for years FFXI, was rich and full of players in all areas, of all levels. I was never crazy about the stuff they added with Abyssea, and it seems to be what killed FFXI for after years of playing it.

Edit: God dammit, I miss FFXI :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is sad :( for years FFXI, was rich and full of players in all areas, of all levels. I was never crazy about the stuff they added with Abyssea, and it seems to be what killed FFXI for after years of playing it.

I still think Abyssea was meant to be the grand finale. Super powering your characters and giving everyone a last grand adventure. SE expected everyone to jump to XIV.

ezekial45

Banned
The world for this game must be pretty amazing. It's too bad the game has such a steep learning curve, and a subscription fee.

Yuripaw

Banned
The world for this game must be pretty amazing. It's too bad the game has such a steep learning curve, and a subscription fee.

You can't get me to pay a subscription fee for pretty much any MMO now...but I paid for FFXI on and off for at least 8-9 years, and I don't regret it at all. It was a game that was worth it. And I'd still gladly pay it again if something would happen that revitalized my interest in it. It's the questionable changes that made me stop.

Edit: looking through some old screenshots, still love the look of this game. Such great art.
FFXIscreen00240.jpg

It looks to be a half assed expansion for a game SE never expected to be supporting by now.

Based on what? The trailer? They've always looked like that. The FFXI team has never even remotely hinted at any type of large scale stories that these expansion usually come with. For a $29.99 expansion, you'll probably get a much grander, more well-thought narrative than most of the recent FF entries you've played. I will admit that the real problem is that that sense isn't really felt until all the updates that follow roll out which can take a really long time.

Card Boy

Banned
Wasnt the new wow expansion 29?
Edit: it is. so people are complaining about nothing.

I will find a reason for you, cause thats what i do. The game has a monthly fee and these pricks (including Blizzard) and the nerve and ordacity to charge for expansion packs? Isn't the point of the monthly fee for server costs and content? Isn't that the excuse people give when they defend P2P? It's triple dipping.

Yuripaw

Banned
Proudest moment for me. I miss this game. :(

What is this? It's something I've never done.

(This is yet another thing I liked about FFXI...some people play MMOs, and just switch between characters, and do all the content, and all the quest, and they literally milk a game for every possible little thing you can. While I'm sure there are some who did that in FFXI as well, the game was so full of content, and it took such devotion to get things done, that I still did not even experience every little thing that game had to offer. I looked at it like I had MY own experience with the game.)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Based on what? The trailer? They've always looked like that. The FFXI team has never even remotely hinted at any type of large scale stories that these expansion usually come with. For a $29.99 expansion, you'll probably get a much grander, more well-thought narrative than most of the recent FF entries you've played. I will admit that the real problem is that that sense isn't really felt until all the updates that follow roll out which can take a really long time.

Wing of the Goddess had a good trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuJc206-wbQ

As did ToAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qj4BKpDUZ4

and so did CoP

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/0pmjej/final-fantasy-xi-chains-of-promathia-trailer
This was during the Aht Urghan expansion iirc. Relic shield (Aegis) quest. I believe it was the second or third one on my server when I got mine. At the time it was the only "size 5" shield which blocked a shitload of damage. Also -40% magic damage taken was pretty op.

You probably don't want to know that a player can farm a relic in 1-2 months now...

Rflagg

I would get this and go back if I thought I could....

1. Get groups for all levels 8(
2.Have a subjob exp bar which I could choose how much exp goes to my subjob while still enjoying the job that I really want to play.

I miss mmos like this and everquest where groups were required, and before anyone complains there are plenty of good to great solo friendly mmos out right now and more seem to come out every year. I don't want to start a huge debate so I will leave it at that.

Top Bottom