• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Holy shit, I don't remember treking across the desert to that damn temple was this long and excruciatingly boring. WTF my young self, how did you get past it the first time on PS2 version.
Probably one of my favorite treks in a game other than Narshe to Zozo :( I'm a sucker for drilling platforms and deserts though haha.

Meowster

602ad01009.png

4faa3a573f.png
We did it - two hours later and after he regained half of his life.

I may be missing something here but why does it look like nobody in Rabanastre (or anywhere else) seems to recognize Ashe?
I assume as princess she was mostly kept out of the public.... Vaan mentions that early on... That he barely even knew there was a prince and that he didn't even recognize her up close. So other than her wedding, maybe she rarely appeared in public, or at least not up close.

Even Balthier, ever observant, may not of... I was never all that sure if he knew. Same with Larsa. When he first meets Ashe, it seems like that one scene where he tries to stop her from going after Vayne (after the fire horse fight), it felt like maybe he stopped her in a knowing way... more than just protecting a resistance girl but maybe that he understood it was Ashe. But on the Leviathan he seemed pretty surprised, too.

Then, same with Larsa... Which was weird, too, for him not to notice. But when Larsa first acts to join near the aerodome and the guards run by, Balthier seems to let him join because he sees he's hiding from the guards; I thought he recognized him as Larsa or at least royalty, but in the mine (right before Ba'Gammon) he does seems to not know who he is until he sees him rejoin Judge Ghis.

So I sort of figured, maybe he recognized both as being obviously more than who they were: maybe, respectively, not just a fighter but an important Resistance leader; and not just some kid but obviously some sort of Arcades royalty (the type that would have a Sandalwood Chop haha), but in neither case knowing precisely who they were.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I tried finding Hastega in the Great Crystal but couldn't :( I got Shellga though. It's so annoying why did they remove it from the Vendor?

Jolkien

I tried finding Hastega in the Great Crystal but couldn't :( I got Shellga though. It's so annoying why did they remove it from the Vendor?

I used the map on ffxiimap.com the chest are from the izjs version but I checked in what zone hastega was and I navigated there, it's a huge pain in the ass

Lightning

Banned
The 2x speed really doesn't work for me in battle, I hate it. I use it to run around with some of the fetch quests but that's it.

And why the hell do they not give Wither/Expose etc earlier? That is annoying, Also waiting so long for the float spell. Finding some of these things in random chests is not cool. My main gripe with the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I realized I have this game. Is this the actual FFXII game, or is The Zodiac Age a sequel like XIII-2 and Lightning Returns?

TZA is basically IZJS with additional few stuff (like second job). TZA is basically the International version or Final Mix version.

Brakke

Banned
Dog why do you think it's ok to use that "IZJS" acronym with someone coming in with 0 context?

"International Zodiac Job System" was the first remaster of FFXII. That one introduced the job system.

TZA is basically IZJS with additional few stuff (like second job). TZA is basically the International version or Final Mix version.

Dog why do you think it's ok to use that "IZJS" acronym with someone coming in with 0 context?

"International Zodiac Job System" was the first remaster of FFXII. That one introduced the job system.

So the plot of this game is the same as the first release of Final Fantasy XII?

Jolkien

The 2x speed really doesn't work for me in battle, I hate it. I use it to run around with some of the fetch quests but that's it.

And why the hell do they not give Wither/Expose etc earlier? That is annoying, Also waiting so long for the float spell. Finding some of these things in random chests is not cool. My main gripe with the game.

Because those breaks are insanely overpowered. The chest are not random but yeah some of them are a pain to get.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

It's rather annoying that Wither is where it is, but it's really powerful. It makes Foebreaker kind of a boring class for most of the game, though.

My God, I must have so much free time and patience when I was young.

Yeah dude, if you think the trek to Raithwall is long, the actual 2nd last dungeon is going to feel like a whole game in itself.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I have a Monk / Foebreaker and while some of my characters are at 8 Gambits and using all of them, she's got "Attack Leader's Target" and "Attack Lowest Health Enemy" and that's it.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Trial 100 completely fucked my 3 level 95 characters. Definitely saved the best for last.

Lightning

Banned
Because those breaks are insanely overpowered. The chest are not random but yeah some of them are a pain to get.
Foebreaker is essentially useless due to that. Whenever I replay the game I'll never use this job again. It's just not useful enough and gets the shittest weapons in the game.

I've just got Fran and Balthier in my party, and I'm torn with what second job I want to give to Balthier and Basch.

I'm going:
Balthier- Machinist/???
Basch- Bushi/???

I was thinking of going Knight with Balthier and Uhlan with Basch, but I'm not sure if it'd be better the other way round.

I'm planning on using Vaan (Shikari/Red Battlemage) Fran (Black Mage/Foebreaker) Balthier (Machinist/???) as my primary team.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Lol Yiazmat was doing around 60 damage with Wither 5x. Also used Addle and Expose and the fight took around 30 mins.

DFkok_xVoAE4vfp.jpg

Jolkien

Foebreaker is essentially useless due to that. Whenever I replay the game I'll never use this job again. It's just not useful enough and gets the shittest weapons in the game.

It brings awesome utility for the optional super bosses the only thing challenging in the game.

SkylineRKR

Foebreaker is useless for a normal story playthrough. But its skills are absolutely OP. Which is why they are handed out in optional areas. Its only use during the story is that you can pair its HP, armor and lores with a weaker Job like Shikari.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Yeah dude, if you think the trek to Raithwall is long, the actual 2nd last dungeon is going to feel like a whole game in itself.
The biggest slog in the game is the trek to Archades. 5 zones (5.5 if you count the Westersand) plus a couple optional ones. Then your reward is the Chops game.

The slog to Archades was my favorite part in the original game. I didn't break it up by warping around, so it felt like one, cohesive journey.

This time I've run around doing sidequests after each zone. Good for powergaming. Bad for drama.

Mendrox

The biggest slog in the game is the trek to Archades. 5 zones (5.5 if you count the Westersand) plus a couple optional ones. Then your reward is the Chops game.

It's really not that bad in Zodiac Age thanks to fast forward and you only needing 3 crops and not 9 anymore. Takes 2 minutes at most.

If by "slog" you mean moving through the world, exploring, and fighting monsters (AKA, the core of the game), then yes, it's "brutal".

That chops thing still sucks though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
which class can wear Seitengrat

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any tips on beating Trickster guys ?

When his HP is about 10~15 percent it seems to put up a barrier which negates every single attack and he starts hitting for 1400 per hit damage and wipes me out immediately. I have Curaga gambits set up and will set up Phoenix Down gambits before trying again, I tried it a few times and didn't work. None of the elemental Mote items work when it puts up the pailing.

I don't have any black mage jobs so sleep is not an option :( Can I spam quickenings before it puts up the barrier to kill it ? Is that viable ?

which class can wear Seitengrat

All invisible equipment (including Seitengrat) can be worn by any class without any license.

Is there any missable equipment? I'm at Jahara right now, lvl 22 with all my characters, and I think I could already get the super bow everyone is talking about here but I don't want to have the best weapons in the game right now, I want them towards the end.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its behind gate Taurus II in the 4th area; backtracking to it after beating the boss isn't bad.
But that dungeon overstays its welcome, like severely. It sucks that there's so much great stuff to find there.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Its behind gate Taurus II in the 4th area; backtracking to it after beating the boss isn't bad.
But that dungeon overstays its welcome, like severely. It sucks that there's so much great stuff to find there.
Thanks, also is there a way to get into the Great Crystal without going through Giruvegan again?

I really liked that journey. If anything I kinda hate that the increased speed trivialises it. I really enjoyed taking my time since there's honestly quite a lot to be found along the way. First you can take one of two routes to start the trip, one of which leads to a sidequest if you haven't beaten it. There's an extra puzzle and esper on the first run, the second leg of the journey has an optional boss and path to an optional dungeon, the third stretch also has an entire extra hunting guild to join and the fourth zone has an additional little one off hunt to be taken.

And the Phon Coast soundtrack!

Bluenoser

Any tips on beating Trickster guys ?

When his HP is about 10~15 percent it seems to put up a barrier which negates every single attack and he starts hitting for 1400 per hit damage and wipes me out immediately. I have Curaga gambits set up and will set up Phoenix Down gambits before trying again, I tried it a few times and didn't work. None of the elemental Mote items work when it puts up the pailing.

I don't have any black mage jobs so sleep is not an option :( Can I spam quickenings before it puts up the barrier to kill it ? Is that viable ?

All invisible equipment (including Seitengrat) can be worn by any class without any license.

Best strategy is to open up a can of quickening whoop ass just before he goes into berserk mode. I couldn't keep up with the choco meteor damage the first time, so I had to reset and try again, and the 2nd time, I did a pre-emptive quickening to finish him off.

Meowster

right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VpFs1O8s9I&app=desktop

this's how i got my 6. when he says 'wait till he's on the top step', what he means is 'wait till he reaches the upper deck & begins to swivel to his right'. press x as he swivels :) ...
Use this video by the same guy if you aren't getting the same RNG that he's getting in the other video. It works too but it is just a little different - you have to watch the kid on the side instead of the man walking up the stairs. Both work 100% of the time but this second RNG showed up more for my game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thanks, also is there a way to get into the Great Crystal without going through Giruvegan again?

Nope, gotta grind all the way through. So you might want to leave it til you want to deal with Omega.

On the upside manipulating the RNG to get the Gendarme shield is very easy and reliable with the 10-hit method (Youtube it), and thanks to the way rare game will respawn provided you quit the game WITHOUT zoning -the autosave only happens when you do this- getting rare uber-weapons like the Mina, aren't actually too bad.

Top Bottom